Start by marking “Furious Thing” as Want to Read:
Furious Thing

Furious Thing

From the critically acclaimed author of Before I Die comes a remarkably affecting story of a girl who burns with anger for reasons she can't understand, and the power and risk that comes with making noise. Fans of E. Lockhart, Jennifer Niven, and Gayle Foreman will find their own fury in this exceptional novel for our times.

Lexi's angry. And it's getting worse.

If only she
Published January 7th 2020 by David Fickling Books (first published October 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Furious Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Furious Thing

Start your review of Furious Thing
Emily May
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

‘I’ll change,’ the girl said. ‘I’ll be good from now on, I promise.’
She wanted it to be true.
She wanted her family to love her.
But fury sat in her belly like a vicious snake. And some promises are hard to keep.

This book hurt me so much. I feel wrecked after reading it, honestly. I want to say it was hard to put down, which it was, but then you might wonder why it took me a whole week to read it… Well, even though it was hard to put down, it was also incredibly tough to keep reading. I
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Lex used to have a fairytale life with her mother, and the two of them shared the close bond of people trying to hunker down against the rest of the world. Then Lex's mom met John, the man who seemed like he was the answer to all of their problems: the prince who sweeps the princess off to happily-ever-after. But John isn't as nice as he appears; and Lex, once the apple of her mother's eye, is losing herself to a furious and sweeping
Tatiana
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019
I am going to sit here and wait for the reviews of Furious Thing to come out in a few months, in which people will be complaining about this novel's "unlikable" main character. Is Lexi unlikable? Does she need to be "nice" to appreciate this story? You tell me.

Lexi is a furious thing. She throws chairs out of the windows, she is defiant and relentlessly combative with her almost step-dad, she seems to blow up in anger at every turn. There is an added creep factor of her being wildly attracted to
Mena
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Furious Thing is incredibly fucked up, and one of the most compelling stories of gaslighting I've come across in recent times.

"Did he hit you?" "Did she touch you in places she's not supposed to?" It's sad that some people still believe that the only kind of abuse is physical.

And Lex, oh Lex. I loved her so much.
Jordan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A copy of this book was given by in exchange for review. All opinions stated are my own. "I Don't Want to be a monster"
Alexandra, or Lexi for short, is angry. She isn't sure why, but she just cannot control the surge of rage that comes out of nowhere. She is sorry. She is remorseful. She isn't sure why she can't just be patient and obedient like her saintly mother, and her angelic little sister. She feels like a monster, just as her stepfather-to-be likes to reminds her - "Bad things happen
Annabelle Heath
Jenny Downham is up there in my top authors list. Every book she writes has the power to break your heart into tiny pieces and put it back together again, a bit battered, but altogether better for having had the experience.

Her latest book, Furious Thing, is no different. In typical Downham style, Furious Thing addresses a difficult topic with nuance and sensitivity - this time turning her prodigious skill to the subject of domestic violence. But not the sort of domestic violence with punches and
Tilly
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Trigger warnings: child abuse, bullying, gaslighting and domestic abuse.

This book took me massively by surprise. I did not expect to be so gripped or emotionally invested but that goes to show the talent with which this book was written.

The book is about Lexi, our main female character who struggles with anger issues and can't work out why. It is jeopardising her school and her personal life when she never really means to make things bad for herself.
I loved Lexi. She was brilliant, a
Mari Johnston
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: gaslighting, abuse, bullying, underage drinking, drug use, hospitals

Furious Thing packs an emotional punch that will have your heart hurting.

This was one of the best depictions of emotional abuse I’ve ever seen. I’ve been through a version of this and the author got it right. A lot of people forget that abuse isn’t only physical and this story will be a great reminder that there are many different kinds.
Julie
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
So at first I wasn't sure if I would like this. Lexi kind of annoyed me. She did things and I just didn't get it, but as the story went on I could see how much I related to her. This book really took me back to high school and all the shit I felt back then. Just so many of the things from Lexi's situation related to me. It was wild. My anger wasn't as extreme as hers, but I did things I shouldn't have for nearly similar reasons. I wish the ending was just a tad bit more satisfying, but looking ...more
Emily Nicholas | Emily The Book Nerd
REVIEW FOUND ON MY BLOG

This is the second book that I have read by Jenny Downham. The concept of a young girl constantly angry with the world around her really intrigued me. Any teenage angst story is always on my radar. I love books that showcase young but determined female characters. Lex is always up for a challenge and will fight for what she wants even if it backfires.

I really wanted to love this story but it kind of fell flat for me at times.
Tika
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: darkroom-tours
Review coming soon...
Tapasya
‘Furious thing’ drew me in right from the start.
It is the story of a girl who is emotionally abused. I could totally relate to her physical reaction to the emotional abuse she face.
It is a heartbreaking and honest story
my bookworm life
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very kindly sent a copy of this book from the publishers as i took part in the Bookstagram review tour over on Instagram.

Years ago i read and loved 'Before i die' by this author, i fell in love with that book instantly from the first page, and just adored Jennys writing!, so all those years later it was really lovely to re visit that writing and excellent story telling.

As with the previous book, the writing again is just brilliant! so easy to get stuck into and it flows what feels like
Jodie (jodie.loves.books)
I have to start this review off by saying just how much I enjoyed reading this book! I haven’t felt so immersed in a story for a long time and I genuinely lost myself within its pages.

In Furious Thing, we follow Lex, a 15 year old living with her Mum, Half-Sister and Stepdad. She has been accused of having an awful temper and behaviour problems by her Stepdad, John, who she really does not get on with. We experience Lex’s friendships and relationships and follow her bravery and fierceness to do
ThatBookGal
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Furious Thing takes a topic that has been explored in a myriad of ways, but approaches it with a cautious and refreshing attitude. This is domestic abuse, explored from the eyes of a teenager, with no physical violence, just a slow burning realisation that a man is controlling every aspect of family life.

Lex is understandably angry. Her stepfather is a tyrant in their household, and has decided that she is the root of every problem they have ever had. Her school is unsupportive, she doesn't know
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club, Edelweiss, and David Finkling Books for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I won’t lie: the title of “Furious Thing” intrigued me almost as much as the cover. This was really because I don’t know how many times in my life I have been furious about things
Marie
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english
3.5 stars.

This one’s really good. Very raw, intense, disturbing and outright.

The main protagonist, Alexandra, is one of the few characters that readers can relate to on a deep, genuine level. This is because she’s plausibly imperfect and profoundly human. And no, I’m not talking about those cutely clumsy, angsty, messed up characters that often appear in ya books and are said to represent “real-life” misfits. No, Lex is the right thing. I did resonate with her at many places, we have plenty of
Katie Adams
Tamara de Vries
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love, cult1
I love this book so incredibly much! Spontaneously bought it on a trip, and I do not regret it at all.
As a girl who struggles with anger issues herself, I can relate to Lex very well, which makes reading this book even better.

Jenny's writing style is very direct, refreshing and just nice to read. 10/10 would recommend.
yorkshirebooknerd
Belle Ellrich
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL ARC FROM THE PUBLISHER IN RETURN FOR MY HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOESN'T AFFECT MY OPINION*

There's a feeling that's evoked when you read a book so pushed by emotions and action that it just sucks the life out of you and that feeling is: numbness. There was nothing left in me for a reaction after finishing this book, and maybe it's because I finished it in less than twelve hours?

FURIOUS THING is a book that needs to be addressed quickly. First things first, this book
Kiki Z
Well meaning but poorly executed. The book deals with psychological and verbal abuse, but it's never called that in the narrative, reducing the abuser to a bully. And sure, abusers are bullies, but there's an actual crime being committed that the word 'bully' doesn't imply. The book doesn't even use the word abuse once that I remember. John's behavior is reduced to something that can be easily remedied.

Lex's obsession for her stepbrother was very weird and unnecessary to the story. It could have
Allison Renner
Lex and her mother used to be close. The banded together and made the most of what they had, which wasn’t much. Until John came along. John was rich and said he loved Lex’s mom, “even though” she had a child. John himself had an older son with his wife, whom he eventually left for Lex’s mom, but not before playing a bunch of headgames. The games don’t stop once John proposes to Lex’s mom, years after they started their affair. The two even have a 6 year old daughter together, whom John dotes on. ...more
Annette
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about Furious Thing. It started out very bleak and took awhile before I felt any sense of hope. However, this may be just the right book for some teens.

Lexi has never known her father, so when her mother brings home a new man, John, she thinks her life is looking up. And her mother is so happy--or is she? Subtle things begin to cause Lexi to doubt. John disappears and often her mother doesn't know where he is. He seems to expect her mother to ask no questions.

Lexi's temper
Beth
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc-proof, gifted
Jenny Downham is one of my favourite authors and I was very excited to see receive an early copy of her new book, Furious Things and, just had to start it straight away! I didn't put it down once until I finished it and just adored every second of it! This book is fantastic! Another brilliant story from Jenny.

This is a book that makes you want to let out your furious side. To not let it keep you grounded. To shout from the rooftops when life isn't fair. I just adored this book.

Lexi is furious.
Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks)
Wow. This book really took on gaslighting and made you FEEL it. I was as furious as Lex was, and yet, when I looked at the facts, nothing legally could stop John from being who he was. It's infuriating. That hot-cold behavior, changing from charmer to demon... It's enough to make anyone feel insane, like they're making it all up. However, we watched Lex's story and KNEW she wasn't making anything up, which is why it was all the more aggravating.

Listen, you're gonna find Lex annoying. She IS
Victoria Robinson
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Faye and Jess at Dark room tours providing me with a copy of this to review.

When I first saw the email about this bookstagram tour I was initially drawn in by the colours on the cover, but then I read the synopsis and I knew I just had to read it.

“Bad things happen when you’re around, Lex…

That’s what her stepfather tells her. That’s what she believes about herself.

But how can she convince herself and everyone around her that her anger doesn’t make her a monster? If only she
Sara
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! Such an enthusiastic 5 star I gave it; its the kind of 5 star book that makes you doubt how you ever gave 5 stars to all the other books.

This story is about a girl and anger and coping and fighting for whats right and about so much more that it feels silly trying to put into words; also I suck at words and expressing so I'll shut up in a bit.

I think what I loved most about this book is how much feelings it evoked in me; I understood so much even though I didn't experience a lot of
Richelle Robinson
"I received a review copy from Amazon Vine and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.''

This book made me so angry. Lexi is hurting and her mom couldn’t care less. I don’t understand how any mother could choose a man over their kid. I just don’t. She let John treat HER daughter any kind of way all because he was her soulmate and she couldn’t breathe without him. *major side eye and eye roll*

Lexi was hard to like at times
Milly Paris

This book was...fine? I don't know, I think I was expecting something different, which may have affected my enjoyment of it. Don't get me wrong, it was incredibly well written. The characterisation and emotions of Lexi were so strong, and I really felt for the position she was in with her step-dad to be. It just wasn't my kind of book. I really struggle to enjoy a book if I don't like the main character and I found Lexi difficult to like. I understand why she is the way she is and it
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Places I've Cried in Public
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • D.O.G.S (S.T.A.G.S, #2)
  • What Magic Is This?
  • What She Found in the Woods
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Jelly
  • Gloves Off
  • The Year of Living Awkwardly: Sophomore Year (Chloe Snow's Diary, #2)
  • Toffee
  • We Are the Beaker Girls
Jenny Downham (born 1964) is a British novelist and an ex-actor. In her first book, Before I Die, the fictional account of the last few months of a sixteen-year-old girl who has been dying of leukemia for 4 years. The book is told in the first person. The book was acclaimed and was short-listed for the 2007 Guardian Award and the 2008 Lancashire Children's Book of the Year, nominated for the 2008 ...more