Start by marking “Room 553” as Want to Read:
Room 553

Room 553

"This tale of seduction, obsession, and murder will resonate with fans of Patricia Highsmith. The pace is fast, the prose is smooth, and the plot genuinely twisty."

"She felt no remorse for drawing blood. In the context of their relationship, it had its place."

For Max and Laurel, nothing is off limits when they meet in room 553. Their illicit affair is exhilarating, passio
Published June 20th 2019 by Hot Banana Press

To ask other readers questions about Room 553, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room 553

Chelsea Humphrey
description

Britney, Britney, Britney... You got me! Honestly, Room 553 is now tied with The Social Affair for my favorite BK novel. I don't want to say too much, but if you enjoy sexy, dark psychological thrillers containing many forms of neurodiversity and medical conditions in its cast, you'll want to pick this one up. Go in blind, folks!

*Many thanks to the author for providing my review copy.
sue
There are several books by this author I loved.
Her last few psychological books I’ve enjoyed a lot.
I was looking forward to this one eagerly and loved the title and the cover.

I’d say this was erring on the side of suspense, seduction and mystery.

The last 20% when everything came together was brilliantly done.

It’s got that edge of Fifty shades of grey in it if you enjoy that. At some point I got a bit bored with those scenes and found myself skimming pages which is totally not my thing to do.

For
DJ Sakata
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

There are a lot of things a woman permits a man to be. Indifferent is not one of them.

The read I get on Dr. Jones is that she’s the type who has ten cats and piles of clutter spread among the excess of belongings she refuses to get rid of.

My words tasted bitter and foreign, like they were coming from someone else’s mouth, someone I didn’t yet know.

My heart leaped so high into my throat that I could have easily opened my mouth and touched it.

My Review:

There is no doubt; Britney Ki
Kendall
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW... there is something so dark and addicting to Britney King's writing.

Let me tell you... if you like dark, addicting, disturbing, and binge-worthy up all night reads than come on down folks this is for you!!

Oh my gosh... this story of Max, Laurel and room 553 takes off like lightning. Things take an unexpected turn when a body is found in the hotel room 553 and our narratives switch to after the incident occurred.

Take a turn here my friends and I DARE you to predict what is behind these p
Eve (Between The Bookends)
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
description Yoowza...I think this is my favorite book by this author to date. It was SOOOO good. However, another thing about this author's books is that they are notoriously hard to review. (lol) I can't really say too much about the plot because anything I say is a potential spoiler. Suffice it to say this isn't a book you want to miss. It is a twisty, well written, and intriguing phycological thriller whose plot is methodically peeled away layer by layer until you reach its rotten and shocking inner cor
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Bring on the illicit, the deviant, the sociopathic, the manipulative, and the guilty, because honey, ain't nobody innocent in this book. Britney has done it yet AGAIN. Where does King's mind live and can I please visit for an extended period of time?

When it comes to matters of the heart, there very rarely is a winner when your heart (or your loins) belongs to someone that's not your spouse. Let's take it next level with Max and Laurel. The games have begun.

I will say that this one started a bit
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

Britney King is a master of compulsive, highly-readable thrillers that you can read in one sitting, and Room 553: A Psychological Thriller was not an exception.

What it's about: Max and Laurel are having an affair, one that mostly takes place in room 553 of the Belmond. Anything goes while they are together, and neither of them seem to be able to stop the affair. But what happens when it goes too far? Suddenly Max is in jail and being tried for murder but is he really a killer?

I think I
Lisa-Books Smiles
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: June 20, 2019
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Actual Rating: 4 stars

Britney King is a master at writing satirical, shocking, and twisted reads. Room 553 is a testament to that and I think many readers are going to devour this crazy ride! I had many ideas as to what was happening in the story (readers don't really know what's happening until the brutal end) but found myself shocked even everything was revealed. I wasn't expecting that are common phrases I had in my head througho
Emily
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I realized then how close fear and desire live, and how nice of is when you have a little of both."

Room 553 is my third Britney King book, and I loved it so much! This one was recommended by my friend Janelle, and I'm so glad that I grabbed a copy. I'm not going to say much about this book because you deserve to go in without any background, but just know that I had a lot of fun reading this psychological thriller. This book went in a different direction than I was expecting, and it was such an
Basic B's Guide
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a can of pringles…once you pop it open, you CAN’T stop!!

Britney King is my go-to author for a binge worthy read. She manages to come up with refreshingly original, juicy and devilishly twisted stories. I just love the way her dark messed up mind works and cannot get enough of her books. Room 553 did not disappoint and seriously without a doubt think this is her best yet! I know, I know I say that every time I read one of her books. It really just goes to show that King is a talent that is h
Katie (katieladyreads)
Maybe I should have done my research before reading this but it was like fifty shades of gray mixed with verity and I hate read it till the end. If you like fucked up shit here ya go.
Isabel | The Crime Bookshelf
4.5 STARS 🌟 Review to come!
Debbie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read and really enjoyed Her by King, so knew I had to read this one.

This was dark, twisted and I just could not put it down!

Max and Laurel are having an affair and they engage in illicit and dangerous activities. The story takes a turn when a body is found in a room and Max is under scrutiny for what role he may have played in the death. It is impossible to say more without revealing the plot. But I can say it was quite provocative and disturbing throughout and such an addictive read. I had n
Lindsey
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author for the advance copy of Room 553 as well as the signed copy! All opinions are my own.

If you’re a fan of psychological thrillers and you haven’t already checked out one of Britney King’s novels, you’re not doing it right.

She’s done it again folks, and it may be her best one yet! Room 553 is now tied for my favorite of hers along with The Replacement Wife. The Replacement Wife can be read as a stand alone, although I recommend you read the entire New Hope Church series to r
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
My first read by this author was Bedrock over five years ago. That book will stay with me forever. It was that kinda book. To be honest I didn’t think the author could blow my mind like she did with Bedrock but on each new release she blows my mind again. This is no different as it’s a superb read.

As with previous books by this author I’m struggling to review as I do believe you need to jump in blind. Trust the author as I’m sure she will mess with ur head like she did with mine.

This author ha
Brooke (Brooke's Books and Brews)
Ahh, Britney, you’ve done it again! I flew through ROOM 553 in a day because I couldn’t get enough of the dysfunctional story and even more dysfunctional characters! The story is full of twists and turns that I never expected. The characters are truly loathsome which is perfect for this wild psychological thriller. My eyebrows raised numerous times and I even chuckled at the crazy actions taken.

The story is told from alternative narrators and a day timeline. In the “after” timeline, you’re drop
Treasa
BRILLIANT
Page turning head turner. This brilliantly written read keeps you on your toes hyper alert at one heck of a guessing game that when you least expect it it totally goes array shocking and twisting every thought you had out of your mind. I love Britney's writing and her crazy twists that makes me wonder how the heck she comes up with some of this stuff and then to develop into words for this amazing thriller. A wickedly written thriller I would gladly recommend.
Johnna Whetstone
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chilling, thrilling, shocking, and fun to read! Too many bad guys to count. A must read for those who love twisted psychological thrillers! One of my very favorite King books!
Amber
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve officially decided that Britney’s books are exactly what I need to satiate my twisted mindf*uck/psychological thriller needs. She’s so non-mainstream, and it’s perfect. It’s hard to explain to some people why this type of read is so delightful, but it is. It’s exactly the type of crazy that I love to read from the safety of my own home.

I don’t even want to touch on the plot of this book, because I don’t want to give a single detail or twist away. The synopsis is filled with as much info as
Sherry Fundin
I read the Foreword to Room 553 by Britney King and laughed out loud thinking, right Britney. Now you know I have to continue reading! OMG!

I didn’t see the direction this was going when I began. In fact, I was a bit disappointed because Britney King writes some fabulous stories and I am usually biting my nails and racing through the pages as soon as I begin. Not so with this psychological thriller. It is more subtle, slowly sucking me in, revealing the characters in starts and stops.

The story bo
James Knight
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It’s all about perception, and you have to be careful. Perception can be wrong.”

“I would tell him the truth. Which version of it, well, it depends on how you look at it. After all, what is truth but perception”

The above quotes from Britney King’s brilliant new novel, Room 553, distill the essence of this masterful story of deceit and deception that Ms. King weaves with her adroit and unparalleled wordsmith skills.

The male protagonist is Dr. Max Hastings. Max is the handsome physician of Laurel
Lynn Reynolds
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the last book I read by this author she left me wanting more. Well the more has come and I found it very interesting. The first interesting thing was the Foreword. It certainly isn’t one you would expect but I’ve learned that about this author. Maybe that’s one reason that I keep coming back for more.

Max Hastings is a man who constantly thinks. At first introduction he gives a household tip – will have to check it out. He also reveals the significance of the title. In his next scene he did so
Dave Wheeler
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Britney has done it again only even better which is an amazing achievement when you look at what she has already achieved, some writers are gifted and a joy to read but I believe that Room 553 is a step or two higher than that
From the Prologue you sense that this is a thriller you can't put down and then you get to hear of Max and Laurel and there unrestricted affair and the no rules what happens in Room 553 stays in there. Welll if that was possible it would but if you draw blood then you have
Kelli Ann
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First off, many apologies to Britney King. HOW HAVE I NOT READ ANY OF YOUR BOOKS? I now have a new obsession. Please think of it as kind and endearing and not stalkery.

Room 553 was chosen as one of my many (and perhaps impossibly unattainable to finish) July buddy reads.

YOU GUYS. THIS BOOK IS MY NEW FAVORITE. Max is a jerk. Laurel's husband James is a jerk. This book is full of jerks, but the way they all manipulate each other is MASTERFUL. I knew something wasn't quite right between the main ch
Angela Walker
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fast read for me. Once I picked it up, I did not want to put it down. Even though I wasn't emotionally connected to the characters it was like seeing a train wreck and wanting to know what happened or what happens next.

The chapters alternate between Laurel's journal and Max' POV from before the murder when he first met Laurel, and after as he's talking to a psychologist while he was on trial. Basically everyone wants to know how the affair started and what happened behind closed doors
readwithjamie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hands down - my favorite psychological thriller of 2019 thus far. This book solidified that I will follow Britney King anywhere. Thriller/suspense fans - If you haven’t read a Britney King yet, I don’t know what you’re doing with your lives. After reading HER this year, I couldn’t wait to get my eyes on her latest & greatest. The prologue is one of my favorites in recent memory - I giggled & raised my eyebrows in awe, excited to begin. Britney King’s WTF thrillers pull you in quickly &am ...more
Jennifer Hanson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let's just get this over with, Britney's mind and stories are second to none! Where she comes up with these stories is beyond my comprehension because holy cows....she never ceases to amaze me and her stories are always original and fresh. This one is no exception. She kept me guessing until the very end and kept me turning those pages of an incredibly twisted tale as I had to know what was going to happen next and how this story was going to play out. I did not see it playing out as it did in t ...more
Richelle Robinson
‘’I received a review copy from author and voluntarily provided an honest review. This does not affect the opinion of the book or the content of the review.’’

I have read several books by Britney King in the past that I have enjoyed but this book didn’t work out in my favor. I found the characters to be one dimensional. They seemed to have the same monotone personality. The twists in this story I found hard to believe and don’t understand how certain things weren’t questioned at the nursing home.
Brittany
Room 553 by Britney King
Let me start off by saying I love the way Ms. King writes and am always curious to what floats through her mind at any given time! I loved this book Room 553! There is enough action and twists that I had no problem keeping my mind focused on this book! Loved the way this story starts and was definitely thrown with the ending, this is a must read for anyone who has a few hours to disappear into Room 553 and is looking for games, mind games and intriguing characters! I was
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Britney King writes psychological, domestic, and romantic thrillers set in suburbia. She is currently writing three series and several standalone novels.

The Bedrock series (psychological/domestic/romantic thriller) features an unlikely heroine who should have known better. Turns out, she didn't. Thus she finds herself tangled in a messy, dangerous, forbidden love story and face-to-face with a mad