Start by marking “Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World” as Want to Read:
Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World

Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World

This remarkable book is about everything from echidnas to evolution, cosmology to cooking, sex and science and spirits to Schrödinger’s cat.

Tyson Yunkaporta looks at global systems from an Indigenous perspective. He asks how contemporary life diverges from the pattern of creation. How does this affect us? How can we do things differently?

Sand Talk provides a template for
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by HarperOne (first published September 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Sand Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sand Talk

Start your review of Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World
Text Publishing
The following book reviews have been shared by Text Publishing – publisher of Sand Talk

'It was certainty that drove a bulldozer through the oldest and deepest philosophic statement on earth at Burrup Peninsula. Sand Talk offers no certainties and Tyson Yunkaporta is not a bulldozer driver. This is a book of cultural and philosophic intrigue. Read it.’
Bruce Pascoe

‘An extraordinary invitation into the world of the Dreaming… Unheralded.’
Melissa Lucashenko

‘A familiar Indigenous sense of humour and
Lydia
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘Sand Talk’ is a unique book, a collection of philosophical musing by Indigenous author Tyson Yunkaporta, that both delights and intrigues.
Using the Aboriginal custom of drawing images on the ground to bring clarity of thought, the author uses patterns, symbols and shapes to make sense of the world.
An extraordinary glimpse into the profound wisdom and gift of Indigenous culture and perspective, an essential read to broaden the mind.
‘Sand Talk' explores global systems from an Indigenous
Jim Rimmer
Reading Tyson's book is like dropping a mentos into a bottle of coke. That coke is never going to be the same again.

I'd recommend taking this book as slow as you need to really get a handle on the many concepts covered.

Also, pass it forward. Once you've finished give as a gift to a friend or loved one or local politician. Help get this genie out of the bottle.
Gill Hutchison
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
So jam packed with ideas that my brain exploded on page 50 and I had to put it down. I just couldn't find the rhythm of his voice.
Amber Erasmus
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ty
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating and profound. Disrupts western thought and learning processes and provides incredible alternate insight. Thank you Tyson for daring to write
Greg
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It seems like Australian literature is just beginning to catch up to the idea that Aboriginal culture has so much we can learn from, and in turn, reshape our narrative of Aboriginal history. Before this I had studied for years the massive injustices, land grabs, massacres and systemic racism bought aboriginal people and culture from first settlement. Rarely however, was pre settlement ever touched upon. How Aboriginal people lived, their culture, philosophy, traditions.

My first introduction to
Dion Perry
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an extraordinary look into the way one Aboriginal views Western culture and governance through the lens of Indigenous culture, lore and law. The book starts with a hook, but then seemed to slow down to the point that I may have considered the introduction to be long-winded. I say may, because as I read on, I came to realise that the introduction wasn’t long-winded, I was simply being impatient.

Using an unusual method from my perspective, the author explores what many may consider to
Rhonda
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A book on this topic needed to be written and I'm really glad it has been, but I'm not sure this will resonate quite the same way that say Bruce Pascoe's Dark Emu has. With my white western education, I found it hard work to make sense of the author's message due to his writing style, but then again that is part of the reason for writing and needing the book. It's one that requires a few re-reads and much thinking.
Paul Kearney
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is so much to learn about what we have forgotten

Occasionally one reads something, and knows while reading it, they will need to read it again. Not because it is too complex, but because it is so rich with ideas and truths. There is so much wisdom in places we are not told to look, or told not to look; Sand Talk is luscious with such wisdom.
Sharon
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, made me engage brain, had to stop and think with each chapter. Intelligent and stimulating and also entertaining, education with humour. Humans as the custodian species, time we got that message and starting accepting our responsibility. I think this is my favourite read this year.
Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)
Can't wait to read this! Yunkaporta has shaped my pedagogy throughout my time at uni.
frites
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I’ve been wanting and waiting to read this book all my life.
John
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look , what can I say? Thank you Tyson for writing it for all of . I hope it well help us all. I feel that has already helped me to figure where I am going. That the narrative arch actually is good after all ?
maybe first up RESPECT ...
Silke Hesse

• See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • The Bee and the Orange Tree
  • No Friend But the Mountains: Writing from Manus Prison
  • The Old Lie
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • Lucky Ticket