Start by marking “Isla Emerged (Isla Emerged #1)” as Want to Read:
Isla Emerged (Isla Emerged #1)

Isla Emerged

(Isla Emerged #1)

Anger. Betrayal. Exile.

Isla always knew she would be queen. One day. But after the death of her mother, matriarch of the Southern Pacific merfolk kingdom, that day grew much closer than she was prepared for. Worse, to become a mermaid queen, she must marry. It is the only way to protect her kingdom.

Forcibly betrothed to her childhood friend and father’s fiercest warrior, I
Published June 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Isla Emerged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isla Emerged

Start your review of Isla Emerged (Isla Emerged #1)
✨Sumi's Books✨
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent 👌...
Loosely based on the tale of The Little Mermaid, this book follows the journey of Isla, a young mermaid who is banished from her kingdom but instead ends up saving it from an evil plot.
My first thought on this book is that it should be a film. I'm serious. A full length feature film with big Hollywood actors and the whole caboodle. It is rare that I come across books like this but when it does happen I like to say so. The author should definitely think about turning this into a scr
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
OMG!! This is so much more than a simple retelling of the Little Mermaid as it goes beyond the scope of a mermaid who wants to be a part of the human world. This well paced, beautiful story introduces us to Isla and we get to bear witness to her growth from a young girl with a lot of attitude to a woman who does what needs to be done to save her people.

The characters and storyline are impeccably done and the author's storytelling immediately captivated me. I did not want this story to end and I
Julie
Fast paced and thrilling, this novel takes what you thought you knew about the Little Mermaid and turns it on your head. Very enjoyable tale!

Full review here:

Olivia Wildenstein
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, immersive coming of age.

I loved Isla and the cast of characters Sequeira created. I hope there will be more books in this series.
Kiki Z
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Decent story but it needed editing. Scenes ended abruptly or in the wrong places, making it feel choppy. It also is pretty short and would have benefited from a little more time spent in certain places and with certain characters.
Jesse Presgraves
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, owned
It starts out very similar to The Little Mermaid which I grew up watching as a kid (didn’t all of us 90 babies?). A mermaid princess is being raised by a very strict father and no mother. She is set to marry a merman, but instead saves a human man from drowning and falls in love with him. She is upset and runs off again and again to be with him and her chance at happily ever after, instead of a forced marriage to someone she isn’t IN love with. Bad things happen and some of the mermaids are kidn ...more
Richelle
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Before I get into it. How amazing it this book cover? It drew me in immediately.

This book is a sort-of retelling to one of my favorite Disney stories “The Little Mermaid” and I liked it very very much.
It starts off with Isla wanting to take her own path despite her father’s insistence that she get married, coincidentally to her best friend, and take the throne.

Through fighting with her father about being forced into marriage Isla decides to run for it and that’s where she things go wrong.

Aft
Nikkita Bell
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful story pulled me in from the start: As a huge fan of classic retellings, I couldn't wait to dive into the world Deidre Sequeria created. I found myself connected to the main character and rooting for her survival and success all throughout the story! The mermaid magic system she created stretches far beyond anything I could have imagined and every twist and turn kept me wanting more. I'm eager to read the next installment in the series and can't wait to see how Isla overcomes her f ...more
Ryder Lyne
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jacinta Goodsell
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Little Mermaid meets Mortal Instruments

The writing was fantastic! The characters journey from bratty princess to warrior queen is beautiful. I wanted to spend the entire day in bed reading, and I did, for the most part before I had to leave the house but whenever I could I snuck in a few pages.

I loved it.

Highly recommend picking up this book!
BIANCA KINSLOW
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that keeps you on edge. Once I started reading I couldn’t put it down until I finished. Thankful for a good book. If you enjoy Merfolk books then I definitely recommend it. The ending is amazing!
Jackie Velez
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this story! I could relate to Isla on a personal level! She has such determination and spirit. I immersed myself into Isla's world, and it was amazing! I strongly recommend this to anyone who loves mermaids and a great read! Dive into Isla Emerged! It is spectacular!
Kelsey Johnson
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great book! I thought I knew what I was getting myself into but I was way wrong! So many twists and turns that kept me wanting more! I love the characters and the plot! I would definitely recommend this to everyone!
Angel White
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mermaids are a matriarchal society and powers are only possessed by the females. With her mother's passing that means the kingdom only has a year before they will be left unprotected.

Cue the stubborn, selfish Princess Isla. She believes in marrying for love, and at 17 is being forced to marry in order to protect her kingdom. She has other plans.

She escapes the palace, saves a human, reveals the secrets of her people and unknowingly helps the capture of the merwomen in her kingdom.

She is banished
Lyndsey Gollogly
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am usually weary of classic stories being retold but I really enjoyed this one. Loosely based on The Little Mermaid it’s full of action! Decent characters and a well written story!
Paula M.
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't begin to express how much I have enjoyed this book. This is so much more than a twist on The Little Mermaid. This book has its own story and character. I am beyond impressed with Deidre' s writing style and story telling ability. It's hard to believe this is her first book. Isla is a a young mermaid, like many young women, who doesn't yet understand her strength and power. It's exciting to see how she comes into it by never giving up her dreams or compromising. Her story is very inspirin ...more
Kathryn (Blissfully Bookish Co)
While this book was pitched as a retelling of the Little Mermaid - I feel like that synopsis does the book injustice. It's so much more than just a retelling! The only comparisons I could draw between the two are a) the main character is a mermaid b) she's very interested in humans c) and she has a controlling father.

This was a short, fun read that has a lot of action. I loved the growth of Isla throughout the book and it is so satisfying to see the main character to go from being immature to a
Kim
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this from start to finish, it's very fast-paced which is to my liking and it was actually a bit hard to put down. Interesting characters and the story is captivating.

Also really enjoyed the main character's development and I would love to read more about her if there would ever be a sequel to this one !
Jennah Wilson
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, e-arc
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is all my own thoughts and honest opinions.

When I first started this book I got complete Little Mermaid vibes from it. There is a mermaid princess who doesn't want the responsibilities of ruling her kingdom as she is just a 17-year old. Her father wants her to get married to her best friend, and the General of the Army so that she can take the throne. She is against this arranged marriage so she escapes to the land where she
Mara Zilda
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will try to avoid spoilers, but as promised here is my book review.
When I took creative writing classes, I was told that those that write more about character's feelings and less about their surroundings are abstract writers and that's actually a common theme in my writings. And this marks the first book I found with a similar style to mine. That's one of the first things that glue me to the pages, to relate to them, to grieve with them. The author showcases emotions perfectly. I can't stress
Patricia
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Isla always knew that she would be queen but when her mother dies that day comes closer and closer . With an arranged marriage to her childhood friend who really doesn't want to marry her but will out of duty . Isla is desperate to escape the clutches of her father. She heads to the surface where she saves a drowning man but that man is not as good as everyone thinks . This changes her life and the lives of her friends forever .
This story is based on the little mermaid story but there are thi
Micheala
ARC received from the author and I am reviewing it voluntarily and objectively.

Mermaids. Need I say more? Why would you not read this book? The world needs more books about mermaids.

I’ll admit I picked this up for its synopsis and I was slightly under the impression it would be a romance. Although my romance-loving reading brain was a bit let down, the rest of me was not. The book starts out in one direction, and then veers hard right and gets dark!

I can see how this loosely follows The Littl
Darian
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Little Mermaid with a twist but this was not the twist I was expecting. Not going to lie, it’s hard for me to express how much I enjoyed this book without giving away any spoilers.
Isla is 17 and the only daughter to the king, he is trying to have her marry but Isla wants to marry for love, just like he and her mother did. That being said the book isn’t all about a romance like I was expecting. Since her and her father can’t come to an agreement Isla runs away a couple times. One of those times
Cira
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Megan
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! It is a ~very~ loose retelling of the Little Mermaid and I can't say too much without spoiling things but I loved the nontraditional plot lines and twists. I was a huge fan of the way the romance in this novel played out (with Alistair and with Baron... very unexpected on the latter which I loved). I also liked how the ending wasn't a perfectly happy one but a slightly more realistic one. The only thing I with there was a bit more of was world building. There were jus ...more
Kristina
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just want to say, I highly enjoyed this book from start to finish. From the first chapter, I was instantly hooked to this world and this story. Initially, I totally thought that it was going to be a full-on Little Mermaid retelling, and boy was I wrong! Though it begins similarly, the author was able to flawlessly twist the story to a much better and different direction! I loved all the characters, and felt a connection to them all.
The style of writing is captivating and I found myself wantin
LeAnna
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A subverted "retelling" of the Little Mermaid fairytale.

I feel like this had a lot of promise but some of the more juvenile character quirks made it a tougher slog to get through -- particular it's first half. There were elements that surprised me, so I give it props where it's due.

This is a series and ultimately I doubt I'll be continuing through its arc. But it was a quick, fast read.
Liliyana Shadowlyn
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Young Adult books are always hit-and-miss for me. This was a BIG hit. My first thought was Disney's the little mermaid but for an older audience. BUT it turned out to be so much more than that. Isla is smart and strong, and refuses to back down in the face of adversity. A page turner from the start, this is one mermaid tale you don't want to swim by you!
Hannah Earl
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, When I first picked up this book, I was immediately drawn in by the "Little Mermaid" of it all, but as the writer took me on a journey much more in depth and intriguing, I found myself not wanting to put the book down. It's a new spin on an old favorite that makes you fall in love with the characters and their world.
Annie
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for fans of Siren and The Lunar Chronicles

Such a unique reshaping of The Little Mermaid! Isla's character arc was handled perfectly, all of the characters were engaging, and the plot was well thought out. Definitely recommend.
Authors & Reviewers: FREE Now until 3/25/20 1 8 Mar 19, 2020 05:30PM
Authors & Reviewers: FREE Now until 3/25/20 1 5 Mar 19, 2020 05:29PM

• Minded (Haunted #2.5)
  • Pure
  • The March Effect (New World Magic, #2)
  • Listen To Me! (Paranormal Mystery)
  • The Missing Sister
  • Sinister Seas
  • The Red Siren of the Wood: A Fairy Twisted Tale
  • De Profundis (Kate Gardener Mysteries Book 2)
  • Ghoul Me Once (Magic and Mayhem Universe / Shifted Book 2)
  • Shifted (Magic and Mayhem Universe / Minded Book 3)
  • The Embers We Seek: Episode Four | Battle for Sortis (A Rebel Princess Serial Book 4)
  • When in Luck (The Celebrity Crush Trilogy Book 1)
  • Finding Forever (Forever Trilogy, #1)
  • Happy & You Know It
  • The Memory of Trees (Kate Gardener mysteries, #1)
  • A Soul's Kiss (Diva to the Guides Trilogy Book 1)
  • Ethereal Authority
  • Celestial Enchantment (Diva #3)

Isla Emerged (2 books)
  • Secrets Submerged (Isla Emerged #1.5)

News & Interviews