Start by marking “Kingdom of Needle and Bone” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Needle and Bone

Kingdom of Needle and Bone

3 hours and 3 minutes

We live in an age of wonders.

Modern medicine has conquered or contained many of the diseases that used to carry children away before their time, reducing mortality and improving health. Vaccination and treatment are widely available, not held in reserve for the chosen few. There are still monsters left to fight, but the old ones, the simple ones, troub
Audible Audio
Published April 30th 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published December 31st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Needle and Bone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Allison
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

karen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
oh, man - i forgot to float this on pubday! ahem - NOW AVAILABLE!!!

thanks, assholes!

for some reason, the synopsis for this one didn’t excite me - no zombies, no sentient tapeworms, no killer mermaids, just a faceless, familiar threat: regular old disease. i didn’t grab the novella right away on netgalley, but when i finally did commit to it, i realized how stupid i had been, and i was like YOU DUMMY, THIS IS MIRA GRANT!!!!

because one of the best things about her books has always been the amount
Debra
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
"We never think about what our choices are going to mean for the lives of the ones we love," said Izzy. "We only think about what they're going to mean for us. If we're lucky, we're not the only ones who have to live with them.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate.... that is the question!

This book started out STRONG for me. Patient zero, Lisa Morris is an eight-year-old girl on vacation with her family. She wakes up one day not feeling well, but it is the last day at the amusement park and she wants
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
It starts with one little girl, the reappearance of a disease that should have long since been eradicated by vaccines, slowly making its way back into the world as anti-vaxxer movements rise. But this disease has a new strain, and it’s leaving wreckage in its wake—forcing infamous vaccine activist and pediatrician Isabella Gauley to choose between ethics and life.

For anyone unaware, Mira Grant is Seanan McGuire’s pseudonym, and if you’ve followed my reviews any length of time, you’ll know I a
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) continues to amaze me. What an incredible story this is. A novella that could easily be extended into a book or three. This flu epidemic gone wrong dystopian story makes me think it was Grant’s other idea to start off her very popular book trilogies Feed or Parasite.
Regardless of the reason she wrote Kingdom of Needle and Bone, I’m sure glad she did.

Not just another Dystopian
At first this story feels like we’ve read it a thousand times before. But at the core of
Fiona
The logic of the picketers outside Dr. Gauley’s practice was terribly easy to follow, if she let go of the idea that words had meanings, and chose instead to go down the rabbit hole of correlation equaling causation.

A new stand-alone from Mira Grant! The woman really can make anything entertaining, and this short novella is no different. I'm with karen on wanting to see this go the way of her mermaid books and get at least another (preferably full-length) novel, too.

Cut to the very minimum, this
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

As many of you know, I *adore* Seanan McGuire. Seriously, she's one of my top favorite authors and I will read anything she puts out under that name. What you might not know is that she also writes under the name Mira Grant, and puts out sci-fi and techno thriller/horror type books. Under her Mira brand, she's been hit or miss for me. I love the short novellas she puts out from Subterranean Press
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I’ve read almost everything written under this author’s other name of Seanan McGuire, I can’t get my hands on her books fast enough.  This is the first book I’ve under the name Mira Grant and color me impressed. I work in a science field and I loved this sci-fi worst-case scenario of "what if" with the increasing number of un-im
Schizanthus
The difference between hero and villain was so frequently in the paperwork that most people never thought to file.
I love this book and I need MORE! Part of me adored that ending and another part of me, the greedy reader part of me, needs to know what happens next! In detail!

This was my very first Mira Grant Seanan read and I’m in awe over how much I loved it. I accidentally found Every Heart a Doorway on my library shelf in October 2016 and it became, over the course of one day, my all time
Sonja Arlow

I never even looked at the page count when I requested this book and I would have been furious if I actually paid $40 for a novella!

The author tackles (and heavily criticizes) the anti-vaccine movement that has sprouted across the USA in recent years.

It starts with little Lisa Morris who visits Disney World with her parents. She starts feeling sick and less than a week later she is dead. She turns out to be patient zero for a virus that spreads quickly, decimating the world’s children.
Justine
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, 2019-read
This one was a hit for me. Grant eschews any supernatural element and just uses plain ordinary (and deadly) viral infections to create a world made even more frightening because of the realistic potentiality. My only complaint is that I wanted more. Things could continue to get interesting past the last page.

This is also a statement against aggressive anti-vaxxers, so if you include yourself in that group, you probably should give this one a miss.
Lena
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: karen
Shelves: medical, karen, netgalley
2EAC9587-5D07-4F92-A7A7-3B66404BD9DA.jpg
“That’s the thing about monsters, Angie,” said Izzy, lowering the gun.
“It takes one to know one.”

Oh My God Mira Grant!

You gave me chills and they’re multiplying. But I’m smiling through my palpitations because this story was an outstanding medical doomsday drama with a hopeful ending.

And a twist the black heart of me enjoyed!

Thanks again Karen, there’s a reason I have shelf named after you!
Jo
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was super excited when the blurb for this came out because I am a big Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant fan, and the subject of the book sounded right up my alley. Crazy disease that knocks out a bunch of the world? I'm in!

The book started off exciting- you're immediately introduced to poor patient zero- Lisa, the niece of the protagonist of the book. However, she quickly dies before you can get too attached. The book largely felt like a prequel to the Real Book. I felt a bit detached as I was reading
Patrick
2.6

This is the 7th work by this author that I’ve read and as much as I wanted to like it, I had a hard time getting into it. The biggest issue to me is that throughout much of it, the book reads more like an angry op-ed piece than a novella. The language gets very heavy-handed, preachy, and condescending to the point it sounded more like the author was just talking to me rather than that I was reading in-world dialogue. I am a bit sympathetic with that tendency given the subject matter. The anti
Denise
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is the first book I have read by Mira Grant although I am from familiar with her other writings under the name Seanan MaGuire. I understood that Grant’s books leaned toward horror which is not a genre that I typically read, however I was intrigued by the description of a viral epidemic and how it disrupted, first Canada, and then the greater world in several waves of massive loss of life.
This is a fairly short book and I will try to avoid spoilers. The main character and her sisters suffer
Rissa
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-as-of-2018
3.5⭐
Its an epidemic and everyone is going to die.
It was good and interesting. Similar to into the drowning deep. You feel like you know more about a strange subject.

“Would Jesus want me to lie?
Pretty sure Jesus doesnt want us getting pocked with needles either”

“The human body uses to signal that something is wrong, it is time for precautions...”

“Thousands more were dead”
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

I know I know, I read this one waaaaay early, but I love this author so much and also it's Sci-Fi September [at least for me] so I figured I would just go for it. This book definitely has more in common with her older works like Parasitology and Newsflesh than her newer stuff. Grant's popular books have always been categorized by their creepy but incredibly plausible medical horror and there is pretty much nothing more believable in this day and
Roz
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, science-fiction
Whenever she releases a new book I don't even care what it is about I just buy it. Well, it was pretty tough to get hold of this book outside of the US, I didn't appreciate to have to ask for a favour, but I have it and I read it and it was great. I can see her making this into a full length novel.
Christina
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book (novella) of 2019 finished in a few hours (the book is only slightly over 100 pages) and HOT DAMN! It was a good one! I have a small obsession with stories about viruses. Sometimes fictions about occurrences that could potentially become very real happenings are scarier than anything an author can cook up supernaturally! I am hoping Mira Grant takes a page out of her own killer mermaid book and writes a full book set in this world.
☕️Kimberly
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you open news channel and read about outbreaks of once eradicated diseases because of an increasing number of citizens refusing to vaccinate In Kingdom of Needle and Bone, Grant offers a possible & chilling outcome of this new movement.

We follow, Dr. Isabella Gauley, whose eight-year-old niece was patient zero in what would become known as Morris’s disease. When an eradicated virus rears its ugly head and causes a pandemic outbreak, one that has long reaching consequences.

One thing I lo
Deborah Ross
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kingdom of Needle and Bone belongs in the tradition of epidemic thrillers, always a favorite of mine for their medical neepery. In this story, a measles-like a virus (“Morris’s Disease”) results in a loss of immunity to all pathogens. Besides the illness itself, with its fever, rashes, and so forth, the patient’s immune system loses the ability to “remember” being exposed to any other infection. Therefore no immunization to any disease gives protection. The mortality rate from this disease is ve ...more
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
"Of such small moments are disasters made."
Friends, it pains me to say that this was just not the book for me. This is my first Mira Grant (Seanan McGuire) read and while I absolutely adored the plot, unfortunately the writing style and narrative voice just did not work for me. This is definitely a case of right book, wrong reader.
"Many of them would continue to leave their homes even as they began feeling unwell. The virus would spread. The virus always spreads."
Lisa Morris is an 8 year
J.A. Ironside
This is not going to be everyone's idea of a five star read. It definitely has its flaws - not least of which is that the potential for a story here is series length rather than novella length. That said, if this is an intro to a potential new science-horror-thriller in the vein of Into the Drowning Deep or Feed, then count me in because I am definitely on board.

I am absolute trash for plagues, outbreaks, apocalypse events and just generally ending the world. With that in mind, Kingdom of Needl
Izzy
reading this while sitting on a plane all morning was absolutely a lovely experience
Mhairi
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seanan does it again. I'm dead.
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Check out my blog over at The Bent Bookworm!*~

I am officially blown away. This little novella was amazing in both its detail and capacity for evoking emotions. I am absolutely stunned, and as a medical professional I am HARD to impress with books of this subject matter. Usually I find myself rolling my eyes so hard they hurt when reading books with doctors or nurses as the main characters, but not so with Kingdom of Needle and Bone!

While this is, technically, a science fiction/apocalyptic nove
Horia Ursu
Too short for a rather broad subject matter. Too many characters for a novella. And too much build-up without the reward of a well rounded ending. This calls for at least a novel, if not more. Still, I enjoyed it enough to keep an eye out for that novel, if and when it comes out.
Donna
Dr. Isabella Gauley creates a haven for people who haven't been infected with a disease that wipes out the body's immunity to little things like measles, whooping cough, etc.

I keep reading books by Mira Grant/Seanan McGuire because her premises are awesome. This one is 'disease sweeps the world', 'anti-vaccination is irresponsible', 'how are we going to prevent everyone from dying?'. These all sound great to me so I gave it a try. The thing is, I frequently end up disappointed in the storytellin
Gerardo Delgadillo
I received an ARC e-book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5 out of 5 stars!

KINGDOM OF NEEDLE AND BONE has a very interesting premise that I find quite intriguing! I was totally immersed in this novel. However, I was worried I’d received an incomplete e-book because the progress was advancing too fast. And then, boom, the book ended when it got super interesting.

I wanted more!

I got the same feeling I experienced while reading THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin, where the first 100 pages
Marzie
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

Mira Grant, aka Seanan McGuire loves a good biological horror story. And you don't need to look very far afield for sci-fi inspiration these days when you look at the current news with things like measles outbreaks surging in the face of anti-vaxxer madness. Writing on a topic in which she excels- the non-selective brutality of viruses and potential for disastrous mistakes with genetic engineering- McGuire envisions a world in which herd immunity to measles has broken down because there
Kerry
This is an interesting one, that I'm still thinking about. It's smart and clever and interesting and tells its story with precision. I liked the idea (if not totally convinced it would work out that way) and has enough clues dropped to make the twist at the end totally workable.

So on one level, I want to give it a high score because it's a very good, clever piece of writing. Even the twist, which I'm still thinking about now, fits that description. But, there's something about it that isn't quit
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Finders (Firstborn, Lastborn #1)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)
  • Ardulum: First Don
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Cold-Forged Flame (Ree Varekai, #1)
  • Mirabile
  • Alice Payne Arrives (Alice Payne, #1)
  • Word Puppets
  • Children of Ash (Meridian Six, #2)
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • Forest Ghost: A Novel of Horror and Suicide in America and Poland
  • A Land Called Tarot
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • City Under the Moon
Mira also writes as Seanan McGuire.

Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp C