Start by marking “Sacred Roots: Why the Church Still Matters” as Want to Read:
Sacred Roots: Why the Church Still Matters

Sacred Roots: Why the Church Still Matters

Young people are leaving the church. We all know that. They love Jesus but not the church. They think church is irrelevant, dated, unnecessary, divided, and hurtful. And they aren't entirely wrong. Yet church is also a place of healing, community, joy, hope, and redemption. This ebook explores what the church can offer 21st century cities, and makes the case for why church ...more
ebook
Published by Zondervan (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Roots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Roots

Start your review of Sacred Roots: Why the Church Still Matters
Brenda Seefeldt
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world when church is no longer a part of the culture, this little book reminds us what church is. And what we need to get back to.
Rachel
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Integral, convicting, and inspiring book for the modern church going christian who wants to defend the need of the church in our current generation.
Graham Heslop
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Profound despite its length, Tyson's short book in this series - which I'm coming to appreciate and highly recommend - doesn't set out to do too much and accomplishes its purposes brilliantly. Barna Group's statistics and polls are useful but not the main event.

Tyson shows how individualism (church for self) and consumerism (church for entertainment) has hamstrung the contemporary church. The thesis he develops under four great points is that following Christ into the local church is ultimately
Lisa
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barna Frames would make a really great small group study, because the topics are so fresh.

1. They are SHORT. I’m talking a super fast read.

2. Barna offers these great infographics and statistics that explains everything simply in a picture.

There are Sunday morning when I sit in the pew, and know all the fighting and judgement that goes on and just really wonder though. Maybe you do to. Well, it still matters. A LOT.

It really is up to us to make it a place where people want to be again, because
Sam
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short thought provoking read on the importance of place, community and discipleship over transience, entertainment and individualism
JR
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jon is a solid dude who is a practitioner and not just a theorist.
Eric
Jul 29, 2019
Jimmy Purchase
Feb 28, 2020

• Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting
  • John Cassian: Conferences (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Fasting: Fasting as Body Talk in the Christian Tradition
  • Community And Growth
  • Sabbath
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • When Narcissism Comes to Church: Healing Your Community from Emotional and Spiritual Abuse
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • Sacred Pathways: Discover Your Soul's Path to God
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
  • The Critical Journey: Stages in the Life of Faith
  • A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society
  • The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure
  • Good Faith: Being a Christian When Society Thinks You're Irrelevant and Extreme
  • History Has Begun
  • Becoming Better Grownups: Rediscovering What Matters and Remembering How to Fly
  • On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss
  • The Road to Character
Jon Tyson is a pastor and church planter in New York City. Originally from Adelaide, Australia, Jon moved to the United States over two decades ago with a passion to seek and cultivate renewal in the Western Church. He is the author of Sacred Roots, A Creative Minority, and The Burden Is Light. He serves as the lead pastor of Church of the City New York.

News & Interviews

“We expect brilliance from the pulpit, but often accept mediocrity in our souls.” 0 likes
“when we expect the church to entertain us, it limits the church’s ability to challenge us. Entertainment rarely transforms.” 0 likes