Start by marking “Mercy” as Want to Read:
Mercy

Mercy

Lucille Clifton’s poetry carries her deep concerns for the world’s children, the stratification of American society, those people lost or forgotten amid the crushing race of Western materialism and technology. In turns sad, troubled and angry, her voice has always been one of great empathy, knowing, as she says, “the only mercy is memory.” In this, her 12th book of poetry, ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by BOA Editions Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy

Start your review of Mercy
Kerry
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I grabbed this off the shelf on the day of Mary Oliver's death. Seeking poetry from a variety of voices. Remembering how Mary's words have over and over again, shown beauty and truth and brought me hope. This collection from Lucille Clifton is gorgeous. Honest, sometimes brutal, but the truth and the darkness and the pain are beauty. There is much to think about and I will buy my own copy. I know I will come back to this collection again and again.
William Lawrence
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Glimmers of great thoughts, but these poems just weren't what I expected for an award winning poet & collection. Not sure what these award committees are looking at. ...more
Gus
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“there is a star/ more distant/ than eden/ something there/ is even now/ preparing”
Rachel
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
"you have placed yourselves
in peril
not by your superior sword
but by your insignificant
quarrels with life"

—from "the message from The Ones"

A really lovely collection—these are hard-hitting and strange in places, not terribly similar to other Clifton I've read. I liked this an awful lot.
Joaquin
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lucille Clifton’s Mercy is an enigmatic compilation of poems that gives a piercing view of the realities of what it means to be born into unforgiving circumstances. She captures this human experience precisely with her dynamic poetry. In a world that is wrought with injustice and apathy, Lucille Clifton portrays the themes of mercy and love as antidotes to these modern human sicknesses.

A sample from the collection:

the gift

There was a woman who hit her head
And ever after she could see the sharp
W

walk away

leaving you alone
in the world you leave
your children."

While instagram poets are fighting over the proprietorship of stark, minimalist poetry, Lucille Clifton did it better and more evocatively than anyone else almost 30 years earlier. What a giant among writers!
Maria
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
September Song broke my heart
Esther O. Lee
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Especially loved the messages from the ancestors portion, reminds me of Earthseed verses.
Lindsey Haffner
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
yes yes yes read this read anything by Lucille Clifton she is queen
Kesi Augustine
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christ consciousness embodied. So ahead of her time. I'm grateful to have read this and hope to only be able to better understand it again and again.
Annagrace K.
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Lucille Clifton. Why we don’t teach her in middle schools all over our country I will never understand.
Ata
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this was fantastic
Twila Newey
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
77pp. As I read, I thought, "these are solid little poems", until I hit the last two sections, one set in the days following 9/11 the other following a mystical visitation from "The Ones". These are stunning. I wish I could transcribe them all for you so you might feel the need to own Mercy and embody its tenants, but I'll choose three.

5 saturday 9/15/01

i know a man who perished for his faith.
others called him infidel, chased him down
and beat him like a dog. after he died
the world was filled wi
Brian Wasserman
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
jazzy, vatic and at times indiscernable, not my cup of tea
This one is what this book is about:

surely i am able to write poems
celebrating grass and how the blue
in the sky can flow green or red
and the waters lean against the
chesapeake shore like a familiar,
poems about nature and landscape
surely but whenever i begin
"the trees wave their knotted branches
and..." why
is there under that poem always
an other poem?

For Lucille Clifton, everything is about something else, and everything's something else is personal. Her poems are strong, vulnerable, brave, tender
Alexandria Michelle
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poets and fans of great poetry
Recommended to Alexandria Michelle by: Seattle Arts & Lectures
I loved this collection of poems. Clifton does a masterful job of sharing her thoughts and images on loving mama,beating cancer three times, losing children to death, haunted memories of an abusive father and Spirit. She includes a fantastic series of poems based around 9/11 titled, September Song: a poem in 7 days. She completes the collection with a second series, titled Message from the Ones (received in the late 70s.) This series of poems was extraordinary because she delves into life beyond ...more
Ruth
Aug 18, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: recently-read
I would give this book 4 stars if it consisted only of the first two-thirds. I would give it 1 or 2 if it were shortened to the last third.

The last third, "the message from the Ones (received in the late 70s)," is tiresomely oracular. There's little imagery, just pronouncements (e.g., "the air / you have polluted / you will breathe // the waters / you have poisoned / you will drink // when you come again / and you will come again").

Much more beautiful is "wind on the st. marys river," which pict
Destiny
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't remember exactly which poem I read by Mrs. Clifton first but I remember liking it. When it came time for me to buy books I thought of her and I ordered this collection.

It is marvelous. The poetry flows well and I particularly like the 9/11 sequence. I feel like that section in particular is still relevant to America post 9/11

The last section with the poems from the Other World where really great as other well. I feel like they were trying to impart some wisdom and I feel like I need to
Milo
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"dying"
i saw a small moon rise
from the breast of a woman
lying in a hospital hall
and I saw that the moon was me
and I saw that the punctured bag
of a woman body was me
and i saw you sad there in the lobby
waiting to visit and I wanted
to sing to you
go home
i am waiting for you there

"the third time and you are so tired
so tired and you nod your head
and smile and walk away from
the angel uniforms the blood
machines and you enter the nearest
movie house and stand in the last aisle
staring at the screen with y
Reuel
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the poems in this collection, especially September Song: A Poem in Seven Days, which was a response to the NYC attack of 9/11/2001, and The Message from the Ones (Received in the Late 70s). Although her collection titled The Terrible Stories was a finalist for both a National Book Award and a Pulitizer Prize, I found this collection much more compelling.
Dliu
Sep 28, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: poetry lovers
Shelves: complete
very interesting book of poems, mostly in the same style, of a blurry almost dreamlike trance-mission. Made me feel uneasy at first, but I've come to love this book as a whole, now that i've picked thru it several times, and read everything in it at least once. this is definitely poetry with a message

thanks to lala for the recommendation!

Madeline
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although it's obvious Lucille Clifton takes her "craft" (ugh, and sorry, but ...) very seriously, and hasn't compromised it for readability, the poems are nevertheless extremely readable. And also very relatable: even the kind of gnomic poems at the end have ... let's say applications. This is intimate poetry.
Nancy Ross
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Picked this up at the library as everyone in my family suddenly wants to read poetry. It's a good one. Will have to reread to get more out of the poems, which are brief and dense and all about incredibly heavy topics--death, Sept 11th, etc.
Joshua Heckathorn
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Joshua by: A Muse Among Me
I find her poetry to be slightly disconnected and somewhat hard to read. But I'm still reading and re-reading the book.
Cami
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Such an excellent collection.
This includes a series of poems written the week of September 11, 2001.
Jean
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I did not enjoy these as much as I did a couple other of her books of poetry. They were still worth the read.
Amanda
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I want to keep these poems nearby. They are very special to my point of view right now. Any stone can sing.
Sherry Lee
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book, but can anyone explain "the message from The Ones"?
Miranda
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most stirring and striking books of poetry that I have ever read! If you haven't checked out this poet's work, do it!
Virginia
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Really liked most of the poems about some serious aspects of life. First time I have read her.

• Deaf Republic
  • Lighthead
  • In the Dream House: A Memoir
  • Diving Into the Wreck
  • Why Poetry
  • Dreams from Many Rivers: A Hispanic History of the United States Told in Poems
  • Don't Call Us Dead
  • Dog Songs
  • Blizzard of One
  • Speak to Me Words: Essays on Contemporary American Indian Poetry
  • The Woman Who Fell from the Sky: Poems
Lucille Clifton was an American poet, writer, and educator from New York. Common topics in her poetry include the celebration of her African American heritage, and feminist themes, with particular emphasis on the female body.

She was the first person in her family to finish high school and attend college. She started Howard University on scholarship as a drama major but lost the scholarship two yea