Start by marking “Burned to a Crisp (Gingerbread Hag Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Burned to a Crisp (Gingerbread Hag Mystery #1)

Burned to a Crisp

(Gingerbread Hag Mystery #1)

Hedy Leckenmaul runs a strange little bakery in the sleepy town of Enumclaw, Washington. Her bakery may be bizarre but it is the non-human guests who stay at her home, along with her resident ghost, and her menagerie of talking animals that truly is strange. Hedy hosts a waystation for supernatural travelers and while hosting two such travelers, the town is rocked by an ar ...more

To ask other readers questions about Burned to a Crisp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burned to a Crisp

Byrd Nash
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Slow burn (haha, you see what I did there?) cozy mystery that adds in the secret ingredients of mythical beings, talking animals, and a ghost.

Hedy operates a local bakery in Washington state, while she goes about her real business of providing a safe space for unusual beings like the salamander, Bren, and the undine, Ana. But as soon as a fire salamander books in to her under-the-radar BnB, so does a suspicious number of fires and disappearances of local ladies. Is Hedy's visitor really telling
Helen Whistberry
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-mystery
This was a delightful surprise! A cozy-type mystery but with unusual supernatural twists. The main character, Hedy, runs a bakery and a kind of bed-and-breakfast for some very unusual guests. I won't spoil the plot by revealing too much more because experiencing the revelations as they are made in the book was a big part of the fun, but I will say that Hedy and the other characters, human and non-human, were original and well-drawn, and I hope we'll be seeing more of all of them in further books ...more
Krystyna
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Strange but really good

A strange tale with a plot that mixes Greek Goddesses with Grims Fairy Tales with a sprinkle of humans and elementals. The characters are as strange as the story but are vivid and real making the whole thing come together.
Her bakery is a strange place and her items are bought by people who have learnt of her shop by word of mouth. She also provides a resting place for travellers but travellers that are all supernatural. However she herself believes she is totally human al
Grenewinae Acwudu
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written and engaging story! I was drawn in as I met the characters, and started to really care for them immediately. As friendships form amid danger and suspicion, I kept hoping against hope that they would all be ok!

The talking animals that live in Hedy's bakery come Waystation for supernatural beings are a delight, each true to their own character, and the Travelers who are staying there are richly drawn and sympathetic.

This story, even though it has great adventure and magic elements,
Ramikin Brulee
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first supernatural mystery and it didn't disappoint. The main character is likeable. Throughout the book you had no idea who to trust, who was good, who was not so good. This was written very well. You were kept on the edge of your seat in suspense. Every character introduction was like an unfolding in the mystery. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Melinda Smith
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading from this author and discovered it when I was in the mood for something in the style of a cozy mystery.

The main character was charming, the villains menacing, the elements of supernatural and fantastical were weaved into the story with deftness. Looking forward to what strange and unusual events will descend upon the little bakery/waystation in Enumclaw, WA next.
Andretta Schellinger
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So glad I found this author.

I kind of tripped over this author and I am so grateful I did. The book is full of mystery, suspense, a touch of love, and more paranormal than you can shake a stick at.

What is really good is that it tells two stories. One, obviously the story and the second is more the morality story, the one that connects this story with real life. It is almost as if there are two stories running parallel with one fading in and out with real life.
Marja Coons-Torn
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes mystery and paranormal.
It isn’t often that I come across something to read that I consider truly original. This is that story! It’s a combination of mystery and paranormal done very well. This one kept me reading. I can’t think of anything I didn’t like about it except maybe a couple of typos. I don’t get excited about those. I look forward to reading the second in the series.
Stacey
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read

This is a fun cozy read. I enjoyed the character development and storylines. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Mary Lu
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun paranormal mystery

Engaging characters cooperate to solve an example of the ultimate struggle, good vs evil. Enjoyed the story telling very much
Margaret Yelton
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a very different read for me, but having said that I still found it to be an enjoyable one. I found the book well written, I enjoyed the characters and the talking animals. It was a very easy read and a quick read, for those that enjoy cozy mysteries with a hint of the supernatural tossed into the mix they should enjoy this read.
Lisa
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting little book. Part cozy mystery part fantasy and the beginning of a new series. I’ll be watching for more !
Susan Thorpe
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every minute. You will enjoy the characters that inhabit these pages. I particularly enjoyed Maurice! Get a copy and be ready for book two, I am waiting for it
Yolanda
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Thank you to author K.A. Miltimore for this ebook in exchange for an honest review.**

The blurb for this book already told me this was going to be a slightly out of the box read for me since I usually stick to romance and young adult books. But a baker who bakes unusual things like rat shaped cookies? A menagerie of talking animals and a ghost? It made me wonder, what else could happen in this sleepy town? Apparently, a lot!

“…but then I remembered that things are only strange to you if they ar
Azaaa
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cozy mystery with supernatural elements, Burned to a Crisp by K.A. Miltimore, is a well told and enjoyable novel.

Bakery owner Hedy is also the owner of a bed-and-breakfast-style safe space she operates out of her home. The travelers that stop by to rest are supernatural creatures. When strange fires are set and women start disappearing, Hedy can’t ignore the crimes that are causing so much unrest in her sleepy town. Are her guests safe? Is one of them the arsonist?

The pace is a little slow in
Philip M
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful story, both engaging and magical! If you are a fan of fantastic stories that include charming and interesting characters in a well developed and intriguing setting, this book is for you. The main character Hedy is a great protagonist and you can't help but immerse yourself in the magical world that surrounds her.

This book is particularly well written making it an easy read. In my opinion this book is appropriate for a wide verity of ages... especially for people who like to
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!

Disclaimer: I received compensation to move this book up on my review schedule. This in no way impacts my opinion. Further, I beta read an initial version which has since been updated.

Actual Rating: 3.5*

I like the mix of cozy mystery and fantasy in this. I thought the characters were really interesting and starting to be well developed. I am glad this is the beginning of a series and not a one off because it has so much potential to involve so many d
Sandra L Mance
Maria P Gates
Jun 24, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Book Two in series 2 18 Jul 07, 2019 10:50AM
Write LGBTQ+ ARC ...: ARC for paranormal cozy mystery 1 6 Apr 22, 2019 06:16PM
K. A. Miltimore is a writer living in the Pacific Northwest who has followed the advice of her 5th grade teacher, Miss Hammond, and become a writer. She loves mid-century fashion, 80s music and nachos (not necessarily in that order). With her husband and son, she loves exploring quirky local towns, and dreams of dragging them both to Iceland for a tour someday. Her tombstone will likely read "Alwa ...more

Gingerbread Hag Mystery (2 books)
  • In the Teeth of It (Gingerbread Hag Mystery #2)