Start by marking “Unspoken” as Want to Read:
Unspoken

Unspoken

THE MORE YOU KNOW
The envelope delivered to Shelby Cole's Seattle home contains no return address, just a photograph of a little girl. Shelby knows at once that this is the daughter she was told died at birth. And in that moment, Shelby knows something else: she needs to go back to Bad Luck, Texas.

THE MORE YOU TELL
She's not the only one coming home. A long-ago killing is
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Zebra (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken

Start your review of Unspoken
Becky
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm still reading this book but there are a few things that are really annoying me:
1: for a book written/published in 2012, I can't figure out why the kids are in the front of the pick up truck with no car seats....
2: apparently condoms don't exist or weren't invented yet?
3: why a sheriff would leave his six and four-year-old kids by themselves in a truck while he went into a store to shop...not to mention it was 100+ degrees outside and no A/C
4: chewing tobacco-YUCK! And again, the
Janie Johnson
I generally love Lisa Jackson books. I think she is a great writer and one of my faves. She writes great romantic suspense thriller. But this one was just ok for me. The plot was great, but it felt like so much more romance played into this one. And I am not big on romance. It seemed like the book revolved more around a love hate triangle that it did the mystery.

I did not really connect to any of the characters. I thought Shelby, the lead character was ridiculously weak in many areas and I did
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
The town of Bad Luck, Texas, is home to all kinds of secrets. Shelby Cole had her share, before she left to start a new life. After almost ten years away, a mysterious package arrives at her Seattle home. There’s no return address, just a photograph of a little girl. Shelby knows immediately that this is the daughter she was told died at birth—and that going back is the only way to discover what really happened.

This story centers on Shelby finding her daughter but also at the same time
Traci
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sample prose: Why was it that she always noticed how all-male he was, how raw and rugged and untamed? Like these dry, wind-blown hills, he was earthy and wild and Texan.

Did you roll your eyes just reading that short paragraph? Imagine how sore mine were after 400+ pages if that drivel. I would have stopped reading...I WANTED to stop reading...but I was trapped in bed with the flu.

When I picked it up at the drugstore along with my prescription, the premise sounded ok: Mysterious envelope arrives
Elizabeth Quam
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the way Lisa Jackson writes. Although I consider this one of my lazy books, where I don't have to think about what's going on, she still finds a way to keep me interested and wanting to find out how the story ends. Some things were predictable, but I would read this again.
Angel
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome Read! At least in my opinion ...more
Conni Harness
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent thriller! I'm usually not a fan of free standing stories, but this was a good one with some indirect ties to other story lines. Love this author and continue to be amazed at the depth & variations of imgination as well as the story telling ability. More please! I'm always sorry to get to the end!!!
Melissa Loucks
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Jackson books were suggested to me because I like murder mysteries. This is the first one I read. I really enjoyed it.
Sheila
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. For some reason, I kept picturing the show Dallas. Lots of twists and turns that you don't see coming.
Stacy
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Dragged and repetitive, first time I ever skimmed through sections of a book. Glad it was a library loan.
Lynne
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have some good things to say about this book. The premise of the story was a great hook for me - a secret from the past suddenly popping up and growing legs. The plot is twisty and unpredictable. There were several "outcomes" that I thought I had guessed, but was wrong. I always enjoy that sort of surprise in a story.

There are some strong supporting characters who are well-drawn and whose motivation seems spot-on to me. The author is really good at creating suspense. These parts of the books
Darlene
I am a Lisa Jackson fan, and I enjoyed this small-town mystery though it’s not as good as her To Die series.

In the book’s Prologue, Ross McCallum is on trial for killing Ramón Estevan. With only circumstantial evidence and one witness testimony, he was found guilty. Ross vows to take revenge on everyone who was involved in setting him up.

The story then moves ahead ten years, and the witness who was responsible for putting Ross behind bars is dying of cancer and does not want to die with a guilty
Daniel Stern
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelby Cole has returned to Bad Luck, Texas after being gone nearly ten years. When she was told by her father that her daughter died, she left with no intention of ever returning. Then she received an anonymous package with pictures of the daughter that she thought died. Knowing that she'd do anything to get her daughter back, Shelby returns to Bad Luck. Once there, she asks Nevada Smith for help, her one time love and the father of her baby. Although she swore that she would never fall in love ...more
Darla Boyle
Naomi
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There a lot of interesting possibilities in the story but they were rather over written by the love story between Shelby and Nevada. A murder committed 10 years prior comes into the fore when the man convicted of it is released from prison. He vows to get back on everyone that testified against him. But he also is obsessed with Shelby and means to attacked her again. But she is looking for her daughter that she had been told died right after her birth. She gets no help from her father, Judge Red ...more
Emilie Davis
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of stuff going on in Bad Luck, Texas. Good Reading!!

This was a heartbreaker. After 9 years Shelby finds out that her stillborn baby was alive via a snapshot sent anonymously. She returns to Bad Luck, Texas to find out who sent the photo. A lot has happened since she was last there and mostly none of it was good. From here the story gains momentum and races to the end. Among the people you will meet in Bad Luck includes a freed prisoner who had been convicted of murder that was later
Christie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book. Was so lame. I kept waiting for it to get good. And it was just a ton of random drama. And very little resolution. There’s probably a second book to go with this. Because so many things were left out.
I hate this guy BAM they’re having sex again. Nope still hate him. BAM. They’re doing it again. Oh. Now they’re in love. I hate my dad he’s conniving. Jk he disappears on a cruise conveniently. No resolution. No real confession just a quick “oh and they solved the murder. The end”. Oh
Connie Donnelly
This is listed as a suspenceful romance but I found it a little heavier on the romance. Not complaining, a perfect beach read since I am on the beach. Shelby leaves her job in Seatle to return to Bad Luck Texas to find the daughter she was told died at birth.
Ross McCallum has just gotten out of prison after serving 10 years for a murder he didn't commit. Now everyone in Bad Luck feels that is where he belonged, but he is out for revenge and no one feels safe.
Linda
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story that had plenty of twists and turns. Shelby Cole returns to her home town Bad Luck, Texas which she left at 18 with no intention of returning to because she received an anonymous letter containing a picture and documents of her daughter that she believed died at birth. Who sent the letter; who really killed Ramon Estavan; is Nevada Smith the father of her daughter; what part did her father play in all of this?
Melissa Brossart
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Lisa Jackson books, but this is the first one I actually hated reading. I trudged through it, but the characters were horrible and undeveloped, the plot was confusing and boring. The multitude of characters just made quick appearances here and there, making it hard to keep track of who they were, just overall a cluster. The ending was so anti-climactic that I was surprised to see the epilogue was on the next page. This is one of her books I definitely wouldn't recommend.
norcalgal
This was a fairly decent novel until the very end. Boy hoydee, The Epilogue was just pure exposition through and through. Tsk, tsk Lisa Jackson! You broke the cardinal rule of writing: show, don't tell. It seemed as though the author got tired of writing this book, and just wrapped it all up in the Epilogue. Thus, a readable novel came to a sputtering end.
Lisa Serrano
Aug 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Book Club selection. The Preface grabbed me, however, the book fell apart by having to many arteries from the heart of the story. The book was time consuming while the ending wrapped up in the last 10 pages. I do not recommend.
LINDA WARD
Not one of her best books, UNSPOKEN did not hold my interest as some of the authors other books have. I found the story to be a little too far-fetched.

It took me a long time to finish because I kept losing interest. I would probably not read the sequel or next in series.
Alena
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best. Now that I see it’s an earlier work, it kind of makes sense. Okay read for a plane, but it lacks some emotional depth and I couldn’t really get into the romance...or maybe the verbal sparring mixed with sex isn’t my thing.
Gaynor Morgan
Hasn't gripped me and I'm a third way through. I bought her book based on rave reviews on her being one of the best authors.
Set in Texas. Very repetitive.
I'll pursever but not expecting any wow moments.
Cindy
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. This took me FOREVER. It couldn’t keep my attention. I sped read through a lot of it once it got going, but oh, what a chore. The story line just kind of dragged and I didn’t really like any of the characters. Not my favorite of hers. Don’t waste valuable time, pick something else.
Gerry Hvozdovich
Really good mystery. Loved the characters especially Nevada. The judge was a real bastard. Great plot-- who done it anyway? I've enjoyed every one of Ms Jackson's books and this is no exception. Highly recommended.
Joyce McKune
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story for being 20 years old. Felt a little dated at times, but interesting plot and characters. At any rate, I love the author (and her sister) and will be looking forward to the next great find.
JOCA
Nov 02, 2019 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
For a contemporary novel, this felt very dated. I also found it difficult to connect with the characters, perhaps because of the writing style? It was very heavy on telling rather than showing, with lots of exposition. This was a DNF for me.
Julie C-F
3.5 *

I like the plot and how the complications added gave the story more twists and turns but it gave me more questions than answers. Also, for a small town where people knew each other, they sure know how to keep secrets.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Bad Things
  • Outfox
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Storm Warning (Lucy Kincaid, #14.5)
  • The Lies We Tell (The Undertaker's Daughter #2)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Sloane Monroe Book 8)
  • Nothing to Hide (Lucy Kincaid #15)
  • What You Did (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #2)
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • When You Come Back
  • Whisper in the Night (Detectives Kane and Alton #6)
  • The Prey (Predator Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Paradise
  • Blind Spot (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #4)
  • Nowhere to Hide (Nowhere, #2)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • Nowhere Safe (Nowhere, #3)

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver. She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a

“Shep started through the intersection when he noticed Nevada Smith’s rig driving past the bank, heading toward the center of town. Nevada was at the wheel, his dog on the” 0 likes