Start by marking “Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)” as Want to Read:
Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)

Quill Me Now

(The ABCs of Spellcraft #1)

What if the words you wrote came true?

Spellcraft isn’t exactly a respectable business, but it does pay the bills. At least, it should. Unfortunately, Dixon Penn failed his Spellcraft initiation. Instead of working in his family’s shop, he’s stuck delivering takeout orders in his uncle’s beat-up Buick.

Winning a Valentine’s Day contest at the largest greeting card company i

ebook, Electronic Version 1.2
Published May 1st 2019 by Smashwords (first published February 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Quill Me Now, please sign up.
Kragthang
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Elena
While the writing was good (it’s JCP, what else is new?) and I liked the characters and the plot, I would have liked this better as a full-length novel than as a short story, for two main reasons:

a) it took me some time to fully grasp how magic worked in the story’s world and, when I finally did, the book was practically over, leaving me very little plot to enjoy;

b) the relationship between Dixon and Yuri would have been great, if it had had the proper time to develop. As it was, it came very cl
Shin Mon Thway
I wish this is a novel instead of a novella because it has such an interesting plot and an intricate world building. ❤ That being said, I’d admit that it was difficult to follow what’s what in the beginning. I mean I felt like I was thrown into some magical world without any proper knowledge. But once I got the hang of it, I loved it. 😌 Dixon and Yuri are an adorable pair and spellcrafting stuff really intrigued me. I would have loved to see an epilogue but I’m happy with how everything turned o ...more
Miriam
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
With the title and cover being so cute, I was afraid this might be too saccharine, but since I've really enjoyed a number of Price's book's and they were certainly not cutesy I went ahead and got it. It is short but definitely less fluffy than it sounds. The magical system is interesting and I liked Dixon and his cousin Sabina am looking forward meeting the rest of the family (where were they throughout this story, anyway? Why are the two youngest the only ones who seem to be trying to make ends ...more
⚣Michaelle⚣
I honestly don't think there is anything I won't read if JCP writes it. Fun, sweet, sexy and a great springboard for this new magical 'verse of stories.

DEFINITELY going to put the next one on the TBR.
Len Evans Jr
This Valentine's short piece had amazing world-building throughout the story. The author also did an exceptional job of creating two main characters that I fell for rather quickly. An Awesome Valentine Short!
Erica
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything about this story . . . other than the fact that it could have been 300 pages longer. JCP is the queen of "always leave them wanting more."
Joyfully Jay
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Quill Me Now is part of the four-book Bad Valentine collection, a set of standalone stories by different authors that are all built around the same opening line (for more details on the collection, check out this post). What really sold this story for me is the creative world building. I loved the idea of magic as a two-part process between the Scrivener who writes the words and the Seer who draws the accompanying image. In this world, magic is a wily thing and t
Ami

It should be a nice read -- but I read this scrunching my head because I didn't really grasp the scrivener and the seer and how the magic worked. It was all confusing for me, and I didn't at all enjoy the reading experience, despite liking Dixon as a character *shrugs*
Allison
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, shorts, arc
*arc given freely with the request for a posted review*

4 stars.

I liked this, but I didn't love it? The world and the magic is really cool. The romance was secondary to everything which I wasn't expecting in a Valentine's story. I loved both the characters and the outcome for the villain 😂 and I look forward to seeing how the story and their relationship grows. I hope we get to see more about Dixon's family too. JCP's world building, as always, is superb.
Alisa

I liked this but didn't love it. The world is super cool. I didn't really feel any connection between the MC's. It says at the back of the books there will be another story about these two. I'll definitely read that.
Ulysses Dietz
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quill Me Now (Bad Valentine)
Jordan Castillo Price
JCPbooks, 2019
Five stars

This novella has the distinction of being the part of a small series called Bad Valentine created by several different authors; AND being the first in Jordan Castillo Price’s Spellcrafting series. I’d been resisting reading it because novellas move too fast for me, but when I saw the THIRD of the Spellcrafting series announced, I bought the second and pre-ordered the third. Three novellas make a nice big book. And that’s ho
Neil Plakcy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Price book, but it won't be my last. I loved the world-building of this story and the romance was sexy. The secondary hero wasn't fully developed, because this is a short and from the first person of the other guy, and apparently the start of a series. I will definitely look forward to it and getting to know more about spellcrafting.
Lillian Francis
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this. It was in parts creepy, funny and cute (as much as JCP does cute). It's also just the beginning for Dixon and Yuri (autocorrect keeps changing this to Tutu!), because more books are coming.
Pete W
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of JCP's work that I could read (even if only just). For me, I find some of her works... really dry and I couldn't get into them. This one felt like I was traipsing around the middle depth of the pool. Not entirely in and not entirely out. Regardless, this is an entertaining read.

Despite my own issues, JCP always write quality works, this one is no exception. She managed to weave in the jargon pretty smoothly but from the perspective of people who were using them. By the end of the b
Jenn (not Lily)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing new world from JCP! I'm so glad that there's more to come about Dixon and Yuri!
Skirmish
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: https://neverhollowed.wordpress.com/t...
Rating: 4.5 Stars – perfection is only half a step away
Vicky
Not my favorite JCP story, but enjoyable none the less. By the time I was fully invested in this world of magic, it was over. I do hope we see more of these two.
Danielle Gypsy Soul
I liked both Dixon and Yuri as characters but there were too many things that just didn't work for me. It took me a long time to understand how the magic in this universe worked and by the time I did the book was over. Also why were the two youngest in the family trying so hard to make ends meet - had their family abandoned them and if so why? This was also a big time case of instant love - they knew each other for 2 days at most and although they never said the I love you's it was definitely im ...more
Shannon
3.5*

This was a cute little introduction into The ABCs of Spellcraft series, I'm looking forward to more adventures with Dixon and Yuri.
I like the idea of the magic, with the Scriveners and the Seers, the Seen and the handless. I will admit that it was all a bit confusing, almost right up until the end, but it was still an enjoyable story. And that's thanks to Dixon, I really like his character. Even as I was trying to grasp how the magic worked, I was really entertained.
Melissa Brus
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quill Me Now: A Bad Valentine Story
This book is part of a group of stories where the start is “Nothing good ever came of a Valentine.”

I was given an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. This is my honest review.

Imagine being part of a talented family. Imagine being the hope for the future of that family. Now imagine failing, publicly, epically. For Dixon Penn, this is his reality. From a family of magic spellcasters, Dixon has failed his test to join their ranks. He is now a meal delivery guy who
Teresa
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was fun and quirky. Although short, there is a lot of imagination and creativity put into the book. I am definitely looking forward to more in the series!
Shelley Chastagner
4.5 stars. Super cute Valentines story. Dixon made me giggle with his ramblings when he got nervous. I liked Yuri and his attempts at protecting Dixon. Together these two undo a lot of wrongs and fit together just perfectly. I'm excited that the author intends to add more adventures for these two.
Wendy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC courtesy of the author—opinions are entirely my own.

Quill Me Now
By Jordan Castillo Price

I loved everything about this story—the urban fantasy aspect, the magical world of Scriveners and Seers, and the unlikely relationship that blossomed between Dixon and Yuri.

It’s somewhat poetic (no pun intended, since Dixon applies for a job at a greeting card company) that Yuri, bound by a scrivening to obey his nefarious employer’s every whim while at the same time being a powerful See
Serena Yates
Due to its somewhat unconventional name of ‘Bad Valentine’, this series does not contain any “typical” Valentine’s stories, and I love that idea. All of them do have Valentine’s Day as a theme, love and romance is in the air, but there are obstacles. This second story is set in a world where Spellcraft is practiced by a selected few, the talent is usually inherited and closely guarded within families, and there are some special (and somewhat unusual, as fantasy books go) conditions to working a ...more
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
3.75 Stars

I have mixed feelings about this story. I loved the story itself and I absolutely adored Dixon. He was sweet, funny and a bit awkward. I loved his ramblings and could listen to him all day. As for Yuri, he wasn’t very well developed, as most of the story is told from Dixon’s POV, but what I saw, I liked.

I loved the mystery and paranormal portion of the story. It was well done, kept me guessing and even had some action. What didn’t work for me was the romance portion. There wasn’t eno
Anwen Ross
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dixon Penn should have been a spellcrafter, a person who writes the words for a spell. But somehow, despite all the right genes and being in line for the family business, he failed the test. So when a greetings card company shows an interest in having him write lines for them, he's flattered. Despite their hunky security guy telling him he should stay well clear ...

I loved this quirky little story about two guys finding a magical link as well as a romantic one. It's very lighthearted, and my onl
Donna
Spellcrafting, what an intriguing concept...

Even though I found the largest majority of this story to be discombobulating... it still managed to be a really cute read! Dixon had his problems, but it was Yuri that I fell in love with and look forward to reading more about... I guess it will be okay if Dixon tags along! *snort* LOL!!!
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Love me some JCP.
Story was just getting good and then POOF.

Mare~Slitsread
Lola
I grabbed this one from a free Bookfunnel or Prolific Works promotion as it sounded fun. And then when I was looking for something fun to read I picked this one up. It was a pretty fun and quick read. It was a bit ridiculous/ funny at times, the world building didn't make sense to me and the way things got build was quite confusion. But it had an interesting set-up and even with the things that bothered me I still had fun reading it.

Quill Me Now is told mostly from the point of view of Dixon. He
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Quill Me Now, by Jordan Castillo Price 1 3 Jun 05, 2019 06:11PM
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price writes paranormal sci-fi thrillers colored by her time in the Midwest, from inner city Chicago, to various cities across southern Wisconsin. She’s settled in a 1910 Cape Cod near Lake Michigan with tons of character and a plethora of bizarre spiders. Any disembodied noises, she’s decided, will be blamed on the ice maker.

Jordan is best known as the author of

The ABCs of Spellcraft (4 books)
  • All That Glitters (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1.5)
  • Trouble in Taco Town (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #2)
  • Something Stinks at the Spa (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #3)
“This hypothetical person I have never met who didn’t want to threaten a tarantula should stop moving their hand around,” Yuri said urgently.
“But…it’s…touching…meeeeee.”