Start by marking “A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)

A Killer's Wife

(Desert Plains #1)

From the bestselling author of The Neon Lawyer comes a gripping thriller about a prosecutor confronted with the darkest part of her past and the worst fears for her future…

Fourteen years ago, prosecutor Jessica Yardley’s husband went to prison for a series of brutal murders. She’s finally created a life with her daughter and is a well-respected attorney. She’s moving on.
Expected publication: March 1st 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

Win a Copy of This Book

• A Killer's Wife by Victor Methos
    A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
    Release date: Mar 01, 2020

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2245 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 01 - Feb 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about A Killer's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killer's Wife

Start your review of A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
    Christina McDonald
    A twisty, riveting delight! A Killer's Wife is seductively vivid and an incredibly fun read.

I'm not usually a fan of legal thrillers, but this one was excellent. An FBI procedural-legal courtroom thriller, the story is set in Las Vegas, where federal prosecutor Jessica Yardley is drawn into a bloody case of a copycat serial killer. Intriguingly, the killer is copying Jessica's ex-husband, a serial killer who's now on death row, setting up a story that is a battle of brains between Jessica and
    Ellie Midwood
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: thriller, dark-read
    Unputdownable.

I won’t be retelling the plot here, I’ll just say what I loved the most about this thriller. The first thing that grabbed me was the synopsis - I mean, the premise of a successful prosecutor having to go through the horror of her past once again was something that intrigued me immensely. But even the synopsis didn’t prepare me for a rollercoaster of a plot that had so many twists and turns, that I just couldn’t stop reading.

I really appreciated how the story was separated into two
    Kristina Hicks
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This was definitely a page turner!

Maybe I've read to many crime books, but I had figured out who the copycat was about a 1/4 of the way into the book. But that did not change the hold this book had on me.

Now the ending, I didn't see that coming!
    Darcia Helle
    Do you hear me groaning?

A Killer's Wife starts strong. I was intrigued by the concept of a prosecutor having been married to a serial killer and raising a daughter they had together.

But..

This is yet another book in which the female main character is smart and independent in her work life, but is a puddle of emotional goo and bad choices in her personal life. I mean, really bad choices.

The strained relationship Jessica has with her daughter, which should have been a major point of the story, is
    Mai
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Wow. This was dark and twisted and just amazing. What a ride!
    Mrs.J.C.Mooney
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Great Storyline.

What a gift. Download this as my February freebie from Amazon Prime. I read it in one sitting, I couldn't put it down. Most certainly a thrilling thriller !!
    Tracy Fleming-Swehla
    This sounded so interesting, and I am considering reading book #2. The main character is an attorney, and her ex husband, the father of her daughter, ended up being a serial killer who is now on death row. A copy-cat killer has her reaching out to her crazy-ex for help. That part of the story was interesting. But the entire last half of the book is very boring courtroom drama that rehashes stuff we already went through. I admit that I speed-read all the courtroom blahdeeblah.

I wanted to like
    Jessica F
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This was labeled as a psychological thriller, but I think it’d be more appropriately called a legal thriller. The second half was almost all back and forth in a courtroom, which I don’t love, but there were enough good twists to keep me sucked in!
    Ashley
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Leanne Hardy
    I struggled with this in the first half it was a little too easy to figure out what was going on but when the second half got into it I realised why the first half was maybe so easy to figure out? They set Wesley up as a mastermind so the legal battle began it was good between him & her for a while but then as with the first half it felt too easy & dare I say it sloppy & I no longer found it convincing? Wesley gets out witted & everyone gets a happy ending!? Characters were not ...more
    Katje
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A rollicking ride!

Twists and turns aplenty! Once I started this, I had to read through the entire thing.... so don’t say you weren’t warned! Great characters, plot like a Swiss watch, and a supremely satisfactory ending all have me waiting breathlessly for the next installment in this series.
    James W Allenbrand
    Not very exiting for a murder mystery.

Three stars because it was at least well edited. The story flow was unusual in that we were told who the criminals were so early in the story and then spent the last quarter of the book in a rather boring naration of the trial. To finally find the two genius psychopathic serial killers framed by the genius psychopathic daughter who steps in and saves the ethical and well meaning other characters who are not equipped to handle such mental giants.
    Lahari
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The ending!!!
    Casey Nichols
    Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Thanks to Amazon Prime monthly I have a new author to consume. Absolutely enjoyed this page turner and its layers. Hope this really synthesis first of a series and more Yardley and Baldwin.
    joan p bowman
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Terrific read!

So many twists and turns.... never saw the end coming I couldn’t put it down. A very well crafted story
    Monnie
    Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Let me get what I didn't like so much about this book - which I read as part of Amazon's First Reads program - out of the way up front. Although prosecuting attorney Jessica Yardley is a woman made stronger in large part by her less-then-perfect life choices, those choices don't quite line up with her strengths (put another way, it's hard to believe she's really that clueless when it comes to love). Also straining credulity is another prosecutor in her office - one who becomes charged with a ...more
    Mindo'ermatter
    Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Caught Me Totally Off Guard! Wow!

This novel is two stories in one. The first part is an FBI procedural crime story, while the second part is legal courtroom thriller. Set primarily in the Las Vegas area, Jessica Yardley is an up-and-coming Federal prosecutor driven by her job, while struggling with her teenage daughter and her haunting past of once being married to a manipulative serial killer.

A series of home-invasion murders of young couples at night without disturbing sleeping children
    Linda
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I grabbed the chance to read this book as it was offered on Kindle First Reads and, having already read one of Victor Methos’ brilliant novels, I had already planned to get it. I was certainly not disappointed and found myself totally involved from the very beginning. The idea of a federal prosecutor who is able to help with the investigation of crimes and evidence gathering isn’t new, but nevertheless a fascinating scenario. The fact that this very same prosecutor was actually the ex-wife of a ...more
    Suzie Seibel
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Haunting

I have to confess I am a big fan. Victor Methos continues to write amazing stories. It has been a long time since I read a book in basically one sitting and that is what I did with this one. I feel like I have had a law class every time I read his books. This one was really a nail biter with a great twist at the end. I also appreciate how he tells the stories of the "other victims" the families of the crime victims and the families of the criminal. So many lives destroyed by crime.
    Kylie
    Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Very, very well done.

I’m typically not interested in this genre. They have a tendency to be trite or just corny.
    This was genuinely fantastic. Well written, well paced. It had my heart racing multiple times. After reading the reviews before downloading (first reads choice), I was skeptical, despite it being so well rated. But I decided to go for it and I’m glad. And the ratings make perfect sense. I highly recommend it.
    You can tell the author has a lot of knowledge and background in law, but
    Tanja Williams Hancock
    Legal Thriller - Very Good, but not Great

I chose this book as my Prime Read freebie and it’s well worth it. This was the first time I’ve read anything by this author and I’d certainly choose another book of his to compare progress of his storytelling. He has a great style of writing that sets the tone, creates intrigue from the get go, but then plateaus and doesn’t really pick up again. It was fairly easy to “read between the lines” if you will, to determine the killer. The twist at the end, I
    Susan Horton
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Well worth the read!

I just finished this free book from Kindle First and I had trouble putting it down so I could charge my kindle! Nicely written, characters are believable, and the tension built to halfway through and I wondered what could happen next. I had guessed at the villain (actually there are two), found I was correct at that half mark, and believed the end should have been soon. Oh, but wait, there's more! The author has much more for the reader, maintaining the tension and building
    Tracey
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A Killer's Wife

Jessica Yardley has worked hard to put the past behind her. But suddenly the past impacts the present.
    Two couples have been murdered and not only is there a serial killer on the loose, but he has is a copy cat carrying out his crimes the way Jessica's ex husband the serial killer Eddie Cal did.
    This is a brilliant book. Great characters and easy to read. Okay I had worked out who the killer was in advance, but I never saw the twist at the end coming.
    Highly recommended.
    Steve Black
    Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Surprisingly good for a Kindle first, in fact I think the last good one I read was by the same author. Midway through I wasn't sure about this book, because I'm not a huge fan of psychological thrillers/ stories about serial killers, but the second part of the book is about the trial once the perpetrator is arrested. The second part was much more interesting and there is a very unexpected (to me anyway) twist at the end.
    Methos constructs his novels well, and I will happily try more by this
    Elyse Roman
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I’m so glad Amazon is offering this as a free read before the publication date. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. From the very first sentence it has you jumping in and staying hooked.
    Literally, the first sentence is about a woman jumping out of a car. I jumped out with her and ran for this story.
    It’s easy to guess who the killer is right away but it doesn’t take away from the suspense at all. There’s action packed scenes through out and an emotional connect you can never deny.
    I look forward
    S Knoell
    Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This books like all of Viktor Methos’ books was incredibly well written. The plot was rich and full of ups and downs that kept me guessing till the very end. So many interesting characters are developed throughout the story. I always find his characters intriguing because they are often flawed in their own way but intelligent and driven in others. The legal parts of the book are always exciting and seem accurate (although I’m no legal expert). Just overall good, suspenseful, intelligent writing. ...more
    Patricia
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Didn't disappoint

I chose this book based on reviews. I was not disappointed, but didn't necessarily find it so gripping that I couldn't put it down. Overall the story flowed well and the characters were fully developed, but (for me) some aspects of the story were hard to believe. I tried very hard to like the daughter but had a hard time getting past how she treated her mother. I realize she was a teenager, but I thought her behavior was over the top. I do think the author is gifted and I would
    Alicia
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
    Karen greer
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a book! This is one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time. Be prepared to go on one heck of an emotional roller coaster ride with this one. Everything about this story is outstanding.....very faced paced story, an unbelievable cast of characters, so many twists and turns right up to the end that it will make your head spin. I am so glad I chose this book from the Kindle First selection. This happens to be the first book I have ever read by this author and now I will back read ...more
    Ashley Moorhead
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    It was a good one.

I really thought this book was good. It had some definite plot twists that I liked. It had great detail, and great readability. It flowed from page to page although with it being 70 something chapters it did feel like it was never going to end. I still would recommend it to others who like crime novels, mystery, and being able to read through from crime to conviction.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• First Light
    • Say Nothing
    • The Inner Game of Golf
    • Dry Hard
    • The 4 Day Week: How the flexible work revolution can increase productivity, profitability and wellbeing, and help create a sustainable future
    • The Labours of Hercules (Hercule Poirot, #27)
    • Thief River Falls
    • Gone with the Wind
    • Haven't They Grown
    • Fight Club
    • When I Was You
    • Soldier, Spy: A Survivor's Tale
    • Long Bright River
    • Last Day
    Victor Methos is the Edgar Award nominated bestselling author of over forty novels. He has been a criminal and civil rights lawyer in the Mountain West, conducting over 100 trials, and produces two books a year with his dog Fraiser by his side.

Desert Plains (2 books)
    • Crimson Lake Road (Desert Plains, #2)
    “Once invoked, the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination in federal court was all or nothing. He could not answer any other questions, or else he would have to answer all of them.” 0 likes
    “All my intelligence, and someone like him completely fooled me.” 0 likes