Start by marking “In a Field of Blue” as Want to Read:

In a Field of Blue

From the bestselling author of The Road Beyond Ruin comes a novel about a family torn apart by grief and secrets, then pulled back together by hope in the wake of World War I.

England 1922. It’s been four years since Rudy’s brother Edgar went missing in war-torn France. Still deep in mourning and grappling with unanswered questions, Rudy and his mother struggle to move on.
Expected publication: February 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

Availability: 100 copies available, 1683 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 02 - Jan 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about In a Field of Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Field of Blue

Start your review of In a Field of Blue
    Jamie Brydone-Jack
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: 2020, historical
    Jumbled Family Drama

There are some things that I consider to be cardinal sins in books. One of them is data dumps, where the author just tells us a bunch of information instead of weaving it into the story naturally. This happened in several places in this book—especially at the beginning—and it certainly did slow things down. Another cardinal sin, at least in my book, is not starting where the action is. I don't know why some authors feel like they can't just start with an interesting part;
    Christine McLoughlin
    Beautiful, bitter sweet

I could not put this book down! It was bitter sweet. Each character giving the story from their perspective. I have to say that I wanted to rush through reading the chapter from Laurence's perspective!!!!
    Bonnye Reed
    Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Amazon Prime First Reads January 2020
    Cindy Woods
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A complicated and beautiful love story

I've read a great many love stories during wartime. This one, during WWI, stands out for several reasons.

It is not just the love of a British soldier for a young French woman. It is also the love between sisters , between brothers, and the love that binds families.

The story is beautifully written from the aspect of several characters starting with the youngest brother, Rudy, who has recently lost his eldest brother, a British soldier, to the battlefields of
    Lynn Horton
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
    I bounced between rating this book two or three stars, and finally went with three. I love the cover, so maybe that nudged my rating up.

I read mystery, suspense, and thriller primarily, and the pacing of my favorite authors/genres is quick and streamlined—two things this book definitely isn’t. There’s so much prose and internal dialogue that I struggled to get through it. Some of the sentences are so convoluted that I had to re-read them—something I never do. The characters are one-dimensional
    Marina
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Fascinating and moving, a very human war story

Excellent story, insightful and unexpected. The shifting narration created a rounded story, one of love, of all kinds not just romantic, and survival.
    The details and twists intrigued and engaged, making it difficult to put the book down - yet I didn't want to rush through it, as it's one of those stories with characters you're reluctant to leave.
    Highly recommended.
    Amber
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Gemma Liviero never disappoints. This is my second of her books to read, and when looking back from my reviews of last year, I found it funny that her book "The Road Beyond Ruin" was one of the first books I had read and reviewed at the beginning of last year.

As in my review of her previous book I found the characters to be well developed and enjoyed reading from each of their unique perspectives. The plot was engaging and I felt like while I was reading fiction I was also learning a bit about
    Cindy Kline
    Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The Story Moves Forward

I knew not to like or trust Laurence, and you will too. Meanwhile, PTSD, Soldier’s Heart, or Shell Shock have shown they can change people. Family loyalty and hope seemed to make it through to the conclusion.
    Rebecca
    Jan 16, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Kindle First Reads - January 2020
    Liviu
    Jan 04, 2020 marked it as tried-but-not-for-me
    sounded interesting but the writing style didn't resonate
    Sharon Phelps
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Historical fiction

Amazing! Jaw dropping, keep you up all night good! Absolutely loved it. I loved all the little details that just hooked me and drew me in and the suspense as the story unfolded. And then I was surprised as each character told their story. This book is a must read!!
    Michelle
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Beautiful story

I picked this as my January Amazon Prime First Reads. I picked it because I enjoy historical fiction. This definitely did not disappoint! It gives many perspectives to add depth to the story and shed new light on the same situations. I love how it built the story upon each persons viewpoint.
    gerry
    Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An epic story, beautifully written

The language is especially descriptive and the first person narrative authenticates the setting and the plot. The novel illustrates the plight of veterans everywhere, no matter the war they served. But WW1 vets who suffered traumatic stress and ran from battle were shot. And the Great War left many vets and their families in dire circumstances. Highly recommended novel.
    Jackie Newman
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I wish there were 10 stars to give this book!!!

I don’t think I can do justice to a description of this story. The characters are so vivid and seem very much alive. The story line at times seems convoluted but in time the details mesh and it all becomes clear. I love, love, loved it!!!!!!!
    Michael A Schuler
    Intriguing

Many characters, many places, many themes intriguingly interwoven into a fictional narrative of World War I. As you would expect such a tale to be, this felt entirely real. There is a plethora of deep emotional feelings. I tend to read books skipping several pages at a time. I was so intrigued by this book, that I read it nearly word for word.
    Goth Gone Grey
    Too slow to build, shows the horrors of war and people

Disclosure: I looked at the percent remaining on this book more often than I'd like, especially in the first section narrated by Rudy. While I'd like to say it was in hopes that the book had more time left and secrets to reveal, it was the opposite. The build up of plot and characters felt too drawn out, tedious, as if the author was paid by the word.

That feeling continued to some degree for the remainder of the book, switching narrators a
    Andra
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This was a very good book, just how good is measured by how it made me overcome one of my personal dislikes which is when the story is told from different people's viewpoint. I find that approach disjointed and breaks up the story for me. That said, now I've finished this book, I can't imagine how a different approach could have told the story so well. This book gave some excellent insights into shell shock and more generally how mental health issues were dealt with. It's well written, moving ...more
    Fran
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I received this from Amazon as the one of the free Prime January books of the month. I started reading it on Jan 15 and stayed up until 4AM on the 16th finishing it. I thought it was well written enough that I wanted to keep reading and not put it down which is unusual for me. "In a Field of Blue" is one of many historical fiction novels that I've read in the past few years and I thought it was well done. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to consult a map to locate the World War One ...more
    Jo
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I picked this up in a 99p sale having recently read other books set in this period. It is only barely a romance (there is an HEA though mostly stated rather than experienced) as the focus is much more on the horrors of war and the impact of war and broader economic forces on family relationships. It is well done though. Told in the 1st person with long sections from the POV of different characters, the story moves back and forth in time to fill in crucial details from the perspectives of ...more
    Gerri
    Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    WWI is the underlying character that affects all other characters in this novel. This is what I found most compelling about this story. Some impacts were directly experienced - battlefield trauma and injuries, shell shock (what we now know as PTSD), civilian impacts from bombings, evacuations and Nazi occupations; and indirect - families far from the front line facing loss of loved ones, the not knowing when their fathers/sons/brothers are missing in action and more.

Sections changed viewpoint
    Happybookworm
    Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
    Story set before, during and after WW1. Told from several pov's, some in the present some in retrospect. Edgar, the eldest son and heir to an English family is lost in action, presumed dead. No body found. Is he really dead? Could he have survived? 4 years after his going missing a young woman turns up at the family home with a child claiming to be Edgar's widow and his son. Is she telling the truth? Why has it taken her 4 years to contact them? How will this affect the family dynamics?

I liked
    Dee
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Intense and long!

World War I and it's effect on an English family. The background is stunning and the story line, at least to me, different than most. This, for me, was a long read, taking several days! I really feel there could have been a bit more editing done as there were times it seemed you would never find the answer. WWI, the heir goes off to fight, doesn't return,but a body is never recovered, a French woman shows up with a child claiming to be his wife . It's too long to go into, but
    Tori
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Once again, Gemma Liviero has won my heart with a story that is real and heartbreaking. She tells of the devastation of war but also of family relationships. Those we love the most can hurt us the most and yet that love goes on.

Her storytelling allows the narrative to build and what unfolds is an amazing story of promises made and kept, and the heartache that comes with those promises. It is not an easy book to read because at times I was overwhelmed with a sense of loss and the unfairness of
    Karen
    Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Entralling

I read the book straight through until wee hours of morning. It is two great love stories broken apart by wars. So much history of the invasions. Interesting as to how gypsy children were treated. Was that then the term PTSD was not known and its awful complications. I just wish the second brother hadn't been killed in the next door. Sad. But war is sad and the results are disastrous to those fighting and those left bwhind.
    Sara Smith
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I read this from Amazon Prime First Reads as one of the January selections. I wasn't expecting too much from the cover, but I really enjoyed this story told first from several different POVs during the aftermath of WWI. Is the beautiful young woman really telling the truth about his brother and his brother's child or is she a gold digger? The destroyed records and towns in post-war France make it difficult to figure it all out.
    Bethany
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Enjoyable story

I began this book as an easy read without high expectations. Admittedly, the first section was enjoyable but not as good as many other books I have read. I feared it would be too predictable. However, after the first section, I was very much drawn in and enjoyed the book very much to the end. I don't want to.goce any spoilers, so.my review is purposely vague. I would compare it to a Louisa May Alcott novel in many ways.
    E J DeBarr
    Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    In a Field of Blue

Having previously read The Road Beyond Ruin I was looking forward to reading the latest book by Gemma Liviero . Was pleasantly surprised to find it was available under Amazon's first reads for January. The story is told through the eyes of the main characters and is set in the periods before, during and after the first world war. will not say more so as not to spoil the story. Highly recommended.

Janci
    Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
    I like the story overall but a few things keep me from rating it 4 stars. As one reviewer noted, I kept checking my percent read. It felt like I'd been reading a long time and I was only at 15%! The story did pick up though, and I didn't want to put it down. I did not care for the writing style, I read many sentences over, not to savor them but to untangle them. Finally, some parts of the story did not add up, or were too overly dramatic for me. Still, it is a worthwhile read.
    Virginia M Palomares
    Understanding a great period of history

This was a well written book. One was there on the battlefield with a very quick understanding of the sacrifice the people in France and the brave servicemen that had to face the unmanageable task of a ungodly war.I know this author has researched many hours to get such details.
    Jane
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Excellent read with lots of twists

I've been reading more about WWI lately and this is another good one with much about shell shock, the plight of the French civilians and other tragedies we can't imagine. The love story is very good and I thoroughly relished the book, even though parts were very sad, like real life.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Toward the Midnight Sun
    • The Tuscan Child
    • What Alice Forgot: By Liane Moriarty (Trivia-On-Books)
    • The Hidden Child (Patrik Hedström, #5)
    • The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
    • Last Day
    • The House at Riverton
    • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
    • The Time Traveler's Wife
    • Memoirs of a Geisha
    • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
    • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
    • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
    • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
    • The Help
    • Once Night Falls
    • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
    • The Names of the Dead
    “I suddenly realized how very human we all were, how in many ways, despite class, we were much the same deep down. All just yearning to be known and at the very least remembered.” 0 likes