Start by marking “Reading Quirks: Weird Things That Bookish Nerds Do!” as Want to Read:
Reading Quirks: Weird Things That Bookish Nerds Do!

Reading Quirks: Weird Things That Bookish Nerds Do!

A light-hearted ode to the immense pleasure of reading and its resulting neuroses in a collection of cartoons created by beloved bookstore The Wild Detectives

Who hasn’t peeked over the shoulder of the person reading next to them on the subway, curious about the book in their hands? Who doesn’t secretly love skipping the party to stay home and read? Who hasn’t daydreamed o
Expected publication: October 8th 2019 by Deep Vellum Publishing (first published February 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Reading Quirks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Quirks

Toni
I just loved this series of vignettes on strange things we do for the love of books. The characters are cute and come from all walks of life. My fellow bookworm friends are going to find the situations described in this collection all too familiar: waxing lyrical about the merits of a book to a total stranger who might or might not be interested, the despair of having lost a book, loving the smell of a new book and so on. My favourite one is: Books live your life while you live theirs.
Highly rec
MissBecka
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MissBecka by: Etienne
Well that was both delightful and highly entertaining!

"Nothing stands more between a book and you than the tyranny of living."

There were so many panels where I felt like I was seeing my life in print.

My DRC was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Reading Quirks is a collection of comics about what it is to be a book lover. I enjoyed this collection so much! I think any book lover will find so many things to relate to in here, plus some of the strips are just incredibly endearing and heartwarming (one of my favorites being the "hug your librarian" page, for obvious reasons). The art is really cute and there's some lovely inclusion (such as a few panels including characters in wheelchairs, hijabi characters, and queer couples!) as an added ...more
Emma
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

These short comics show what us book lovers basically do on almost a daily basis and how we behave when we read. The drawing style is very cute and the jokes are quite funny. I would have loved to read more.
This would definitely make a perfect gift for every book lover out there.
Etienne
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny little bookish cartoons! A simple one page cartoon format that bring humor with a touch of thinking. A bit more «complex» then what we often see in this type of book. Well done!!
Alice
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-nov
How many of these vignettes must I incarnate to be considered an insane bibliomanic?
This book perfectly represented readers' worst and most ridiculous habits. From the day long readathons to the desperate awareness that there is only so much time to read in the lifetime to the smell of a newly bought paperback, it was all absolutely accurate. And also 100% hilarious.
The artwork is so pleasant and complements the different situations beautifully. I don't think a more perfect team could have plan
Eris
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Bue-ni-si-mo! De lo que ningún lector se atreve a comentar porque obvio, si eres lector lo sabes... pero aquí está ejemplificando de una forma que me hizo reír. Me identifiqué totalmente, y lo leí en una sola “sentada”, como solemos expresarnos los bibliómanos.

¿Y tú por qué lees?
Ana
FINAL RATING:5*

I keep thinking about it and a smile pops in my face. Highly relatable if you are a bookish person or know some. Maybe even scarly relatable. I laught at loud reading it.

Plot: 4.5*
Characters: 4*
Setting /Atmosphere: 5*
Art Style: 4*
Entertainment: 5*
AVERAGE RATING: 4.5*

Does it have adequate representation? +0.2 The fact that they represent different people was notice, and apreciated.
Does it perpetuate healthy ideals? +0.0
Does it teach/make the reader (re)think? +0.1 About all
Ije the Devourer of Books
I laughed my way through this because I saw myself on each page.

This graphic novel is a series of comics about the habits of avid readers. The artwork is good, managing to convey humour through the simplicity of the drawings.

The authors have captured those secret and not so secret habits of readers e.g not going to parties because you are reading a book, trying to see what someone else is reading when you are on your daily commute, buying books, buying more books, still buying books, buying th
Kristen
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arcs
this was really cute. there were several things that made me smile or laugh, and other things i didn't agree with (just for me, personally, as a reader). i feel like any reader would find several things to relate to in this. the illustrations were great and i loved the snarky president ones.
Erikka
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was pretty cute. I'm an avid reader, so I related to a lot of the cartoons. Also, I really appreciated the library love! My favorite thing, though, was the effortless diversity. It all blended together to form a completely believable and representative world that felt natural and realistic. Books are the great unifier!
Karen
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital ARC from Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

This book is perfect for anyone who is obsessed with books and reading. It was nice to feel like I am not alone in my desire for books! The illustrations were perfect for the storyline, and the limited palette chosen by the artist really complimented the intended message. I would gladly give this book as a gift to fellow booknerds. Highly recommend!
Bookish Devil
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Reading Quirks' is a delightful compilation of whimsical comic strips that bookworms all over the world can relate to. The art style was so alluring and it was of top quality. It's a perfect gift material I'd say. Every single comic elicited a great deal of laughter and it would be a blatant lie if i were to say that this book failed to entertain me.

I thank Edelweiss+ for the e-ARC.
McKenzie Peterson
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a super cute collection of vignettes about how the love that humans harbor for reading manifests in strange quirks. Every bookworm can find something in here to relate to ranging from book smell lovers, multiple copy buyers, and just one more chapter night owls. The characters in the panels are drawn in a quite cute fashion and they are also very diverse (LGBTQ+ characters, characters wearing hijabi, various races, and at least one character in a wheelchair).

I would highly recommend thi
Pam (Who Cried Books)
"Books live your life while you live theirs."

Reading Quirks was a lovely read! I enjoy reading books ABOUT books (like Jen Campbells's Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops). It's funny how everything is so relatable: from not lending your friends a book (because they either didn't give it back or when they do, it's in shambles), to buying the same book in various formats, to having a hard time packing books for vacation, to loving and/or hating a movie adaptation of a book. These quirks wer
Laura_sommeils
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked how reflected I felt by some of the pages of this book, and how books are a tool of communication and understanding between all of us. Some of the jokes I could've done without because I didn't find them that funny, but I liked the scenes of deeper connection between people because of books, like the girl coming back to her home and talking to her mum about the notes she did when she was younger.
Sherri
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read for book lovers that will have them nodding in agreement throughout. I personally love reading comics about bookish behavior. This particular book has refreshingly diverse illustrations include people of color, gay couples, differently abled people. Even the readers have different preferences that span library lovers and bookstore lovers, dog earers and pristine book keepers, physical books and ebook readers.
Tabrizia Jones
Thank you Edelweiss+ and Ingram Publishing for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This one was just so cute and nostalgic to read. Beautifully drawn and depicted, these vignettes of comics remind us, book lovers, what we already know: the "quirks" and joys of reading. It was funny, lovable and heartwarming. Anyone who loves books should read this one!
James
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, comics
A fun collection of comics that will appeal to people who prefer reading to most other activities, created by bookstore The Wild Detectives. Ben Fountain writes a fun, brief introduction.

[I received an advanced e-galley of this book through Edelweiss. It is due to be published October 8, 2019.]
Susodicha.Purpurina
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Sin duda todo amante de la lectura disfrutará de este libro, y se verá reflejado en alguna de las viñetas.
Los dibujos son excelentes y las frases que los acompañan muy adecuadas.
Me ha encantado!!
Michelle
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little book of nerdy-reader toons. (Thanks to Edelweiss for the review copy.) I think most readers will like and identify with this little book. Rueful smiles can be had all around. Very fun!
Regina
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy entretenido! Me sentí identificada con varias viñetas. Muy liviano y recomendable para tener a mano y recordarnos por qué quienes amamos los libros los amamos tanto
Nika Martinez
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so clever and funny. A perfect gift for any book lovers out there. I gave 4 stars because i thought it was a bit too short.
Ana Krallen
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Laura Pacheco's drawings and it was very funny to see myself reflected in the different characters of the book!
~♥~ happinesslife
3,5. Esta chulo, pero hay situaciones un poco absurdas jajaja
Eli Ramirez
Només el tema ja mereix les cinc estrelles, hehe
Dipali
** A copy of Reading Quirks was provided by the publisher and Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review **

Bookish perfection.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Orejitasdelobo
Jul 13, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
The Wild Detectives es una librería-bar en Dallas, Texas. Desde su apertura en 2014 por dos ingenieros españoles, esta pequeña librería ha albergado más de 600 eventos. Por allí han pasado escritores de la talla de Ben Fountain, Sarah Hepola, Eduardo Rabasa, Verónica Gerber Bicecci o Juan Cárdenas y artistas como Bill Callahan, Damien Jurado o Lloyd Cole. The Wild Detectives ha sido seleccionada p ...more