Start by marking “Tick Tock (DS Grace Allendale, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tick Tock (DS Grace Allendale, #2)

Tick Tock

(DS Grace Allendale #2)

TICK

TOCK

TIME’S UP

Published May 2nd 2019 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Tick Tock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tick Tock

Start your review of Tick Tock (DS Grace Allendale, #2)
Kylie D
A solid second book in the DS Grace Allendale series. This time someone is strangling young women, with nothing connecting them and no leads. As another young girl is targeted Grace finds herself up against a callous killer, and she's running out of time...

I did enjoy this book, though I didn't find it to be as hugely gripping as the first in the series. It is a sound police procedural book, I just didn't find the tension as realistic as the first one. Having said that I will still be looking
Liz
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

Mel Sherratt has been a long time favorite of mine. Not just her ability to create great characters, but also the ability to set a scene. I feel like I know Stoke on Trent after reading her descriptions.

The storyline here is especially poignant as the murder victim is a 16 year old girl. Sherratt does an excellent job of portraying her friends, the way they ping from sorrow to self centeredness in a matter of seconds, the hormones and the sudden outbursts.

Grace is a great main character. She
Louise Wilson
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DS Grace Allendale #2

DS Grace Allendale is called in to investigate a teenage girl who had been murdered in the middle of the day. Her lifeless body was abandoned in a field next to her school. Two days later, a young mother is abducted. She's discovered strangled and dumped in a local park. It's only when a third woman is targeted that a sinister pattern emerges. Can they catch the killer before another young woman dies?

I have now read quite a few of Mel Sherratt's books and can honestly say
Sean Peters
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Net Galley, The Publishers and of course Mel Sherratt, a member of my group "A Good Thriller", and a friend on goodreads.

In the city of Stoke, a teenage girl is strangled while out for a run with her friends, it shakes the city of Stoke to its core. Why would anyone want to hurt a child? And who would have the audacity to murder in broad daylight?

DS Grace Allendale and her team are brought in to bring a swift resolution, but investigating the case brings up no leads. It is as if the
Mandy White
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tick Tock by Mel Sherratt is s the second book to feature DS Grace Allendale. I absolutely loved Hush Hush and could not wait to read more. This book could be read as a stand alone but to really understand the characters and story I would suggest reading them in order. Grace has a past, and a family that she is not proud of but she is starting feel at home in Stoke. I really enjoy this series and hope that there is plenty more to come. It is clever and not at all predictable with strong ...more
Caroline Mitchell
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, crime
Tick Tock is another gripping tale by Mel Sherratt. I've followed Mel's books for some time now and she never disappoints. DS Grace Allendale is a very likeable and relatable character and I love the Stoke on Trent setting. Everything about Mel's writing feels gritty and authentic and Tick Tock is a fantastic follow up to Hush Hush. I didn't know how she was going to top book one in the series, but she has. The book hits the ground running with murder in broad daylight and doesn't let up as ...more
The Book Review Café
4.5 I’m one of those readers who likes a start of a book to grab me I’m not one for a slow buildup, I need to have my interest piqued from the start. Author Mel Sherratt knows how to deliver an opening chapter, one that’s shocking, it triggers the reader’s interest, as well as promising an exciting and heart thumping read. Tick Tock by Mel Sherratt is the second book in the DS Grace Allendale crime series, and although it could be read as a stand-alone there are references to the first book in ...more
Adele Shea
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can never get enough of Mel Sherratt's books. I just love how she reels you in and doesn't let you go.
I really took to Grace in this book and can not wait for the next installment.
Ali
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.-3.5 stars.
Enjoyed the second book in the Grace Allendale series, though I think the first one was better.
There was more going on there, quite a bit of action.
Here, Grace is chasing up a murderer again.
It looks like there might be a serial killer out on the loose. It also looks like the killer might be rather too close to Grace. Or is it just a coincidence?
It's easy to follow, fast enough to keep you going, yet, I was loosing interest couple times here and there.
Hope, there'll be another
Robin Loves Reading
DS Grace Allendale has the unenviable task of trying to connect two murders. In the town of Stoke, the broken body of a teen girl is found. In two short days, a young mother is kidnapped and found murdered shortly after. With the time factor, there must be a connection and it is up to Grace and her team to discover it.

Before Grace can make any headway, a third woman is an apparent target. Is time running out? Will yet another person lose their life? In Tick Tock, which is aptly named, time is
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The start to Tick Tock had me gripped from the off. The murder is a very risky one and I was desperate to know the who’s and why’s.

You really get the sense of urgency with this case. I also love how we get to see how this particular case affects Grace. It’s always something I’ve wondered how someone in the police force copes with dealing with murders. Especially when it’s someone who has their whole future ahead of them. There is a very sympathetic side to Grace even though on the outside she
Steph Lawrence
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DS Grace Allendale was born in Stoke but moved away when she was a child. She returned to the Stoke area a few months ago after working in Manchester.
She’s still keen to earn her new colleague’s trust after her previous case which involved members of her estranged family.
A powerful story, it begins when a schoolgirl is murdered during a cross-country PE lesson at school. It gave me the creeps, every parent’s nightmare.
It’s close to Grace too, as the girl was a school friend of her boyfriend
Miriam Smith
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
I hadn't read "Hush Hush" Mel Sherratt's previous book, so I went in blind to the DS Grace Allendale series with her second book "Tick Tock".
Blurb - "In the city of Stoke, a teenage girl is murdered in the middle of the day, her lifeless body abandoned in a field behind her school. Two days later, a young mother is abducted. She’s discovered strangled and dumped in a local park. DS Grace Allendale and her team are brought in to investigate, but with a bold killer, no leads and nothing to connect
Lainy

Blurb from Amazon

TICK…

TOCK…

TIME’S UP…

DS Grace Allendale and her team are brought in to investigate, but with a bold killer, no leads and nothing to connect the victims, the case seems
Sue Plant
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mel-sherratt
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book and what a book it is...

copycat strangulations, are they somehow tied to another case which saw someone else put behind bars or is there another serial killer out there.....

young girls from the same school
middle age woman with hints of sex chatrooms
what links them all...
and can they stop the killings before anymore bodies are found...

grace and her new team are fast trying to find the answers but with red herrings
Michelle
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I would like to thank for Avon and NetGalley for Tick Tock the second book in the DS Grace Allendale series. I had read the first in the series, so I was excited to receive a copy of this.
Teenager Lauren Ansell is found strangled whilst out on a cross country run during school hours the killer left no clues. A few days later a young mother of twins is found dumped like rubbish in a similar fashion. Grace and her team are struggling to find the killer. When the third victim is found
Sandra
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DS Grace Allendale is back with another grim case as a young girl is murdered in broad daylight,two days later a young mother on her way home from work is murdered.Why have they been killed no one knows but the team have job on their hands to solve it as they have no witnesses or clues.When a third victim is found by Grace still alive the race is on to get these cases solved.I won't spoil it for others so i can highly recommed this book.Well done to Mel Sherratt well worth 5*
Bridget
“Tick Tock” is the second book in the ‘DS Grace Allendale’ thriller series by best-selling author Mel Sherratt and I found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable and first-class read. The first book is ‘Hush Hush.’

DS Grace Allendale and her team are brought in to
Marie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started off strong and soon had me hooked.

A teenage girl is found murdered whilst out on a cross country run with her class, a few days later a young mothers body is found, she has been strangled and dumped. Can DS Grace Allendale and her team figure out who the killer is before they strike again?

There are a good cast of characters, I particularly liked Grace, she's a multi dimensional character, I liked how strong she was but there was a more human, vulnerable side to her too.

I did
peggy
This is the second book in the DS Grace Allendale series. I found this one to be a slow burner but really was glad I stuck with it.
Another grim case for this detective and her team. A young girl is murdered in daylight, then two days later a young mother is found murdered with the same MO. No DNA, no witnesses and No clues. As I said before a slow burner but soon takes off like a rocket. So many twists and turns and suspects galore.
After reading the first in the series Hush Hush which I
Dawn
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Allandale is back in Stoke working the case of a young girl who has been strangled. Trying to work with a new team and find her feet in her new relationship. There’s plenty to keep her busy. As the number of bodies increase can Grace catch the killer before someone close to her is in danger?

I like Mel’s books and this was no exception. It was nice to hear mention of other leading characters from other books. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest
Claire
I loved Hush Hush, Grace Allendale’s first outing as she returns to her home town of Stoke. So I was waiting with bated breath to be back with Grace to see what happens next!

I hated cross country at school (I was a straggler) and that chapter at the beginning gave me the heebie jeebies. Our cross country route was a lonely place through a wooded area behind school, so easy for a psycho-killer to pick one of us off just like that. Goosebumps totally ensued as I read the opening!!

As the story
Jeanette
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading 'Tick Tock' which had me turning the pages until the end. Everything one expects of a good thriller and one that i can recommend. I hope to read the first book in this series soon.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Tracy Robinson
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
you will not be disappointed with this book . this is the 2nd book in the series and as good as 1st book this author has done it so well not going to spoil it for you but its brilliant and the twist and turns so good so cant wait for book 3 this author is very talented so love her books if you want a good read then look no further
Meggy
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A title can make or break a book. Mel Sherratt’s series starring DS Grace Allendale has some of the best titles. I had been very keen to read Hush Hush, hearing those two words whispered in my ears with every turning page. This time, an old grandfather clock accompanied my reading, its Tick Tock slowly but surely resonating like a heartbeat as I raced through this second novel!

Tick Tock. Life is short, hours stretch, days fly by. Time is a nasty thing. Math classes last forever, an afternoon

Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Having absolutely adored the first book in the series, I was excited when I heard book two was on it’s way! Having been offered a slot on the tour, I jumped at the chance to get stuck in early!

As with the previous book, the Author has a talent for throwing in fake “who did it” hints that have the reader thinking they’ve cracked it, they’ve guessed the who ... wait... no maybe not. AHAH. Yep, I have definitely .... well bugger it. And so continued my thoughts in various forms throughout the book.
Kerry
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOODNESS!! Gripping would be an absolute understatement!
Having read and loved all of Mel Sherratt's books, most recently Hush Hush, I knew I was in for a treat when starting Tick Tock.
It has been great catching up with Grace once again, although I don't envy her circumstances. This book starts with the murder of a local teenage girl, left dead in a field whilst out cross-country running with her class at school. You don't get much more hard hitting than that! As the mother of two
Samantha Gonsalves
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What is it about detectives with a harsh and dark history that make them so formidable? Grace Allendale is slowly joining the ranks of other intense and highly-skilled detectives I love.
It's taken me long enough to get on the Mel Sherratt bandwagon but here I am and I think I might have some catching up to do( with other series). I really liked Hush Hush and picking up Tick Tock was a no-brainer. This book is twisty and sinister.
When Grace and her team are notified of the murder of a teenage
Jen
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-challenge
It is only book two in the series, but I have to say that they just keep getting better. Now settled into her new role as Sergeant back in her home town (city) of Stoke, Grace Allendale finds herself faced with a tragic and somewhat devastating case when a teenage schoolgirl is found by her friends, right in the middle of the school day, and only metres from where they had left her just moments earlier. How can a killer be so brazen. And while it's complicated enough dealing with a case ...more
Kavita Kumar-Karthik
Interesting read ! The murder and investigation were otherwise pretty boring, but the entry of the serial killer and his manipulations made the rest of the read interesting. Though the book starts with back to back murders, the investigation or thrill levels were pretty low. You do have quite a few characters that can be added to the 'possible perpetrators' list, which kept me involved in the plot.

It's only in the second half that the plot catches up. Mostly because the serial killer angle gives
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sinner
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • The Boss
  • Reckless Girl
  • Trickster (Georgina Garrett #1)
  • Fierce Girl (Anna Davis #4)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
  • The Mark (The Working Girls #1)
  • The Choice
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate, #2)
  • Top Dog
  • Dangerous Games
  • Nasty Business
  • The Sleepover (Detective Natalie Ward #4)
  • The Dare (Detective Natalie Ward #3)
  • Dead Guilty (Calladine & Bayliss #9)
  • Queenie
  • Rivals (Georgina Garrett #2)
I write police procedurals, psychological suspense and women's fiction with a punch - or grit-lit, as I call it.

I live in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, with my husband and terrier, Dexter (named after the TV serial killer) and makes liberal use of my hometown as a backdrop for some of my books.

You can find out more at my website www.melsherratt.co.uk or I'm on Twitter at @writermels

I also write

DS Grace Allendale (3 books)
  • Hush Hush (DS Grace Allendale, #1)
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
“You’d never think he could be so violent, would you?’ Lizzie tittered. ‘I must admit, he had such charm about him, no one would have guessed. But he had a really dark side. He kept it well hidden. It was so much fun having him fawn all over me. I pick them out, you see, the lost souls.’ Teagan said nothing, too scared to speak, even if she could think of something to say. Listening to Lizzie, it seemed as if she was enjoying telling her what she had done. She didn’t seem to care who she hurt. She began to lose hope of ever getting away. But she wouldn’t give up, because she knew Grace wouldn’t, either. ‘You won’t win,’ she told her. ‘Grace will find me and you’ll be locked up and—’ ‘I have to get to number five! Don’t you understand?’ Teagan screamed. ‘Be quiet!’ Lizzie sliced a hand across her face. Teagan cried out again. Still bound together, her hands were caught between them. She couldn’t help herself in any way. She really was going to die. SEVENTY-SIX Teagan’s scream travelled through the air towards them. Every hair on Grace’s body stood on end as it pierced her ears. Please don’t let me be too late. ‘This way!’ Frankie shouted and she followed him. Rounding a corner, she saw two people pointing in the direction of the clock tower. In the distance were Teagan and the woman Grace now knew was Lizzie Shelby. Lizzie had a knife in her hand. They were going to be too late. ‘We” 0 likes