Start by marking “Dark Water Bride” as Want to Read:
Dark Water Bride

Dark Water Bride

Late Victorian London. When the most respectable of Scottish businessmen is pulled, dead, from the Thames, his daughter is drawn into an investigation which reveals a whole world of secrets and corruption and leads all the way to the tragic truth behind the ghostly legend of The Darkwater Bride.

An epic drama combining the genres of the Victorian mystery thriller with the
Audible Audio
Published October 2018 by Audible Studios (first published September 29th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Water Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Water Bride

Start your review of Dark Water Bride
Shaina
Great voices, somewhat of a good story with too much emphasis on pre-suffrage helpless women at the mercy of misogyny. If there were not so much abuse in the story it would have been great. The cast was incredible.
One of two audible picks of the month. Had I known it wasn’t just a spooky story I would have skipped it altogether. Glad it was free.
Elaine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been listening to dramatisations like this in the car as I’m fed up of music and they are more interesting than just audio books as they have a proper cast and sound effects etc. It was well acted and really made you feel like you were in it. The premise was a little predictable but I found myself totally absorbed in the story and there were some bits in there I wasn’t expecting. Overall I enjoyed it.
Erin
My second Audible original selection for April.

Well, this was quite interesting in the beginning. When a young Scottish woman is asked to identify her father's body after being pulled from the water, it sets her on a path heading into a a very dangerous world. The performances were 5 star, but I think the author totally lost me in the last hour with the final direction of his story. Talk about unsatisfying!

Audiobook narrated by a full cast 6h 45mins
Pamela Scott

Oh boy, is this a delightful, gory, dark little tale. I was completely absorbed listening to this. I love a bit of mystery, gothic horror and bloodthirsty murder. The Darkwater Bride combines all three delightfully. The business man’s daughter is a great character, feisty, determined, head strong and not your typical simpering Victorian woman. I loved her determination to know the truth regardless of the cost. The true story of the ghostly bride was
Matthew Galloway
Maybe there is a fine line between refusing to be sidelined and being foolhardy? Regardless, Katrina walks miles beyond that line. She ridiculously kept putting herself into dangerous and upsetting situations needlessly. Cully went too far the other direction, somehow being a good policeman without having any intuition at all. And then everyone spoke incredibly melodramatically and unrealistically all the time. For example, people often muttered foreboding and mysterious things and no one asked ...more
David
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dirty old Scottish bankers, Irish cops, anachronistically spunky lasses
This Audible drama was an okay bit of Victorian suspense with a dash of the supernatural and a ton of violent misogyny.

Katrina, our spunky female protagonist, is a nice Scottish girl come to London to investigate the death of her banker father. She finds out dear old daddy was actually a terrible, dirty old man. This is not your typical Victorian "cozy," as the author digs up all the infamous perversions and abuses of Victorian society for a grimdark tale of child prostitution, rape clubs, and a
Lennie Grace
2.5 stars. Why won't Goodreads do half stars?!

Some parts were really good. The narrator was excellent. & The general idea of the story was really fun and creepy.

But I found the main character to be very annoying. No one can possibly be this dumb! I think she was supposed to be sheltered? But at some point sheltered just isn't a good enough excuse anymore
Come on! A gentleman wants un-gentlemanly company? What the hell do you THINK they mean by that! He wants to have sex damn it!

I mean
Christopher
"Men are Trash: Victorian Edition."

The story of Katrina, a young Scottish woman who travels to Victorian London to investigate the mysterious death of her father is competently performed but is also thoroughly depressing. The "Darkwater Bride" is a local legend that serves as a protective spirit of sorts for the women of the area (mostly prostitutes). Katrina, with the help of a local detective, works to (very slowly) uncover the truth behind her father's death. As a long-form drama, it lacked
Rissa
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darkwater bride 3.5
This was a full production of a murder from the darkwater bride.
We hear his daughter trying to find out the truth behind her fathers death and in the midst of this finds a friend in the police department that helps get her out of sticky situations she continues to put herself in.
When she first comes across the darkwater bride she is rescued, saved, sparred. She doesn’t know who the mysterious woman is she didnt know that that woman was her fathers killer all along.
Catrina
JenLovesBooks
Jun 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried with the book. It was free on my audible account and I said why not? Well, this is why not... I have almost nothing good to say about it.

I tried, really I did. I wanted to be scared, to find mystery in this, to be enthralled, but I couldn't find any of that. I have to say some of it was entertaining to listen to, but that was about all it was for me. It's sad because that cover felt like there was so much more that just wasn't.

Britt
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Good premise but came across as clumsy and pandering
Marianne
A Victorian lady travels to London to investigate the murder of her respectable father and discovers not only the repulsive, seedy part of London, but the secret of the Darkwater bride as well.

3.5 stars for the story. 5 stars for the narration, which is one or the best audible productions I've ever listened to.

Very satisfied with both of my April audible originals.
Germaine Mooney
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh this was glorious, it did not shy away from the filth and the dirt. To hear language used in such a way to repulse even myself (not easily offended). The grimy gruesome descriptions, the horror of humanity and of the crimes men commit. Pure horrifying poetry.

Got to be honest I was expecting the standard fair, a haunted house, a girl going mad... Don’t expect that.

And before I enter the spoiler zone I’m just going to say that this is not for the faint hearted. This is not a nice tale and it
Angela H.
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, mystery
This is the first audible original for me to give a higher rating for this reason:

1. The story has a beginning and an end.

2. The narrator does a phenomenal job in creating the suspense and "horror"ish atmosphere.

3. I did not lose interest while listening to the book.

4. The theme is dark and spooky but I loved it!

5. I loved how the author infused paranormal factors with the mystery!
MangoLoverReads
2.75/5 — This audiobook had its moments. It was one of the Audible free monthly selections. The performers did a good job. But the story was too sexually violent. I think a story can be plenty creepy without having to go there. It seems...lazy. It dragged in places and I wasn’t crazy about the ending. The ending wasn’t terrible and it didn’t completely choke (I Really hate when that happens) but it was just sort of meh.
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
An Audible original production, which was entertaining, yet a gruesome, sordid tale set in Victorian London.
You'll need a strong stomach for this one.
Jay
Performance=4 ****
The story=2, ridiculous, but an entertaining listen thanks to the talented cast. Kept me absorbed all week.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Started it. A freebie on audible. Enjoyed the beginning. Not as much later. It’s pretty good on narration. Multiple cast and readers. I just lost interest too soon.
Laura Basaldua
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was weird ... about all there is to say.

Started out good enough then lost me about halfway through and although this is supposed to be horror I found myself laughing and rolling my eyes ....
Gwynn
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superior production quality, very good casting. A great, creepy listen.
Devon Mccauley
DNF
Pretty terrible...
Seven Jane
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a Scottish businessman’s corpse is dredged from the bogs of the Thames, so begins the unfurling of the seedy underbelly of Victorian London, replete with all the depictions—both trope and true—of murder, corruption, and sexual fetishes that marked the period.

James Miller is dead, his body dumped in the river in an area of London which plays host to no respectable gentlemen and is the stomping ground of prostitutes, thieves, and other no-good types, all strung along the fishy quayside that
Korynn Warthen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinclair  Duncan-Mercer
A perfect raining day thriller, I didn't want it to end.
Bob
Apr 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was free, so I guess I won’t complain that I didn’t get my money’s worth. I should have walked away after the first several paragraphs, but I couldn’t decide whether I was more disappointed by the production/acting or the story itself. In the final analysis, it was both.

I’m just pathologically prone to finish whatever book I start. I’m sure I must have read worse books, but not many... and none that I can recall. There’s a part of me that keeps hoping and thinking “please, surprise me with
Bonnie Thrasher
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Free Audible original. The audio was horrific. One second you have to turn it up, the next second, it blares out at full blast. Absolutely the worst sound mixing I have ever heard. The story itself was mildly entertaining. Yet if I had paid for this, I would have returned it straight away. A girl’s father dies. She goes to London to identify the body. She quickly gets immersed in the seedy underbelly where women sell themselves and men drown in Darkwater. The only question is why.
Quanita
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Radio theater at it's best. Multiple voice actors, music, and sound effects set the mood. The goddess of blackwater allows one woman immortality if she continues to make human sacrifices to the water. Her kiss is certain death. The naive daughter of one of the dead, a handsome policeman, and his superior are the main characters.
Erin
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audible production was great. The use of sound effects and different actors for the voices made it very creepy, scary, disturbing but a great listen.
Dawn
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This was a very fun audio book! It was almost like a play with the accents and different characters, not what I am used to but so refreshing. I enjoyed the story so much as well.

• The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M. R. James - Volume 1
  • The Mystery of Alice
  • Black Crow, White Snow
  • The Dispatcher
  • The Demon Next Door
  • Evil Eye
  • Even Tree Nymphs Get the Blues (Mystic Bayou, #2.5)
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • Killer by Nature
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • The Dead Drink First
  • Junk
  • Body Of Proof
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Alien III