Start by marking “CTRL S” as Want to Read:
CTRL S

CTRL S

Life in the near future's NOT ALL BAD. We've reversed global warming, and fixed the collapsing bee population. We even created SPACE, a virtual-sensory universe where average guys like Theo Wilson can do almost anything they desire.

But ALMOST ANYTHING isn't enough for some. Every day, normal people are being taken, their emotions harvested - and lives traded - to create
Published November 28th 2019 by Orion Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about CTRL S, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CTRL S

Start your review of CTRL S
K.S. Marsden
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
When the virtual world is becoming a staple of everyone's lives, Theo and his friends have to find his missing mother, and uncover dark secrets.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

In the future, taking part in virtual and augmented reality is as common and everyday as meeting up with friends in the park.
When Theo makes the choice to give up his dreams of university, and gets a dead-end job in a burger joint, to help his mother out with spiralling debts, going
Kate
Entertaining adventure, much of which is set in an alternate reality gaming world but the gap between reality and artifice becomes very blurry indeed. With the four main characters all around twenty and the central figure searching for his mother, it does have a Young Adult feel about it. Incidentally, the characters seem to spend a fair amount of time throwing up, so there's also an icky factor! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Adam
May 06, 2019 added it
Major problems with the eARC formatting. They need to fix the layout & make it legible.
Jacqueline Allan
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I had high hopes for this book as I’m a fan of Ready Player One and a few others but I was really disappointed. I felt that the characters were not likeable and weren’t developed well. Storyline was ok.
Kath
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is set in the near future. VR is rife and also regulated and limited. SPACE is a virtual world that allows regular people the chance to live out their dreams, be who they want to be. People are using it too much and getting sick. Theo and his friends regularly meet up to play games, an escape from their mundane lives. But then one day, when in VR, Theo hears a call coming in on his mum's headset. He ditches the game to answer it and what he hears is shocking. His mum is being ...more
Marvin
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
With CTRL S, Briggs explores (and exploits) the concept of SPACE, a future version of the Internet that includes VR and emotions (from and to the real world). Four young friends, around twenty years of age, hop in and out of SPACE to find the mother of one of them, who appears to be kidnapped. After a few chapters of introducing things – new concepts need to be explained, no way around that – these friends find themselves engaged in fast-paced action, almost like it were a video game.

While
Mira
Dec 03, 2019 added it
An enjoyable romp in the style of Ready Player One and a pretty similar plot too. The virtual world of Briggs' imagining is called SPACE and is a landscape where anything can happen. Unfortunately our hero Theo's mother has been dallying with some pretty nasty criminals and he is sucked into a deadly investigation to try and save her after she is kidnapped.

The eARC book wasn't formatted at all - so chapters collided and paragraphs weren't clear which made the read a tricky one. Added to this was
Payal
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The setting of this book hooked me—a near future where we seem to have accepted the hyper-surveillance that worries us today. The concept of SPACE is fascinating too—the uploading of emotions, particularly. The characters and story are decent too, with the thrill-a-minute ride seeming more like a movie.
I’m taking away one star for a token girl character who the protagonist lusts after. The other thing that tripped me up were the occasional infodumps to explain the world. It seemed like
Rachel
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't read as many books in this genre as I would like, but the blurb of this book hooked me in from the off, and this continued from the first page. I hate spoilers but the characters in this book are certainly going to take you on a ride. I plan to buy this book for my brother, who will love it. Ready Player One fans, this one is a must read!
Chrys
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast paced and interesting crime thriller set in the virtual world of SPACE. This story raises the idea of how emotions can harnessed within virtual reality, and how they can be abused. There's some great ideas here and I'd love to see a film come from this.
Melissa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great take on where technology may lead to in the future. It reminded me of Ready Player One, but a hell of a lot more sinister. Was it a bit far fetched? Absolutely. Did I love it all the same? You betcha.
Allyn Nichols
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent read in the vein of Otherland by Tad Williams. Well worth a read if future tech, shadowrun, matrix is in your list of interests.

Great Work!
JOCA
Nov 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
Interesting premise but I wasn't engaged by the writing style. This also felt a bit too similar to a few other books I've picked up recently. This was a DNF for me.
Bev
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
High octane, fast paced and for me completely unputdownable!! I found the technical descriptions of future tech both fascinating and a bit scary and there's a strong message about the dangers of spending too much time online that is a useful reminder for all of us. Great for any techy or science fiction loving teen or adult with plenty of plot twists along the way.
Niki Procter
Oct 20, 2019
Gryferinbooklover
Nov 03, 2019

• Cold Storage
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Emmy in the Key of Code
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Angel Mage
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
  • Snowdrops on Rosemary Lane
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
  • The Deathless Girls
  • Furious Thing
  • The Lying Room
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Emily Eternal
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • Three Hours
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Woman in the Water
A British writer who works extensively in Hollywood and more recently in comic books.

Hero.com and Villain.net are his first books launched in June 2008, with their sequels HERO.COM: VIRUS ATTACK and VILLAIN.NET: DARK HUNTER are out now - and more in the series coming next year.

The books are available in UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.

Next year they will be out in: USA, Czech