Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time

The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Jon E. Lewis explores the 100 most terrifying cover-ups of all time, from the invention of Jesus' divinity to Bush and Blair's real agenda in invading Iraq. The book provides each cover-up with a plausibility rating.
Published 2008 by Robinson

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups

Bill
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a long held fascination for conspiracy theories although I must say that I don't actually believe most of them! This book collects masses of the major conspiracies and discusses them utilising a lot of publicly available information and comment. the book is well written for this type, it is often informative and in my opinion incredibly funny in places. If you have even a passing interest in conspiracy theory you should check it out. The chapter on Montauk was just hilarious. OK so are th ...more
Aileen
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
As long as you don't take this too seriously, this is a very entertaining A-Z of all the major cover-ups and conspiracies. The world is apparently full of aliend, secret societies after world-domination, CIA/FBI plots and assassinations, and our own Royal Family are allegedly 12' tall lizard aliens in human disguise. A lot of the topics I'd never heard of before, some tempted me into looking for more info, but on the whole I read the book with tongue firmly in cheek.
Jamie
Nov 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
The more I read this book the more stupid I felt.

It seems that people just make up random garbage about random things and title it conspiracy.

A lot of the sections started like we were already in the middle of it. Like we should just already know the whole theory.

There was one sentence that stuck with me. "America it seems was full of lone nuts who somehow managed to pull off the assassinations of great men." I think that line is more compelling than all of these made up stories.
Samuel
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome! Not only was the author as accurate as he could be, he also was really funny. I also like the conspiracy theories themselves and how ridiculous they are. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a quick laugh and have their BS radar built-up.
Kerry
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm as big a fan of conspiracy theory as the next person so when I saw this book really cheap I thought it would be right up my street.
I don't like being to negative and like to think of myself as quite an open minded person but seriously this book really was not worth the time.
I agree with previous reviews
1. The information sounds like it has been cut and copied from Wikipedia.
2.Some of the theories were hardly heard of it would of been more worth while devoting more time to the more well known
Matthew
Oct 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
Absolute nonsense. Covers many conspiracies but unfortunately sheds no light on any of them. Provides only a summary that is a couple of pages long (Probably pasted from wikipedia) followed by the author's opinion, which many times does not appear to be based on what he wrote.
For example re: on 9/11, which has a whole community devoted to bringing out the truth, he provides 5 (very small) pages, that read like a half hearted attempt to "debunk" people that want justice in the form of a non-bi
Jessica
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I like conspiracies when I can get the condensed version. I want the quick notes of them so I can just appease my curiousness about them. This book definitely gives the quick notes on these. It even gives a nice "Alert Level" rating at the end of each to give a suggestion on how potentially threatening it could be. For these, this book was great.

Then it so great we're all the quick assumptions that were the writers views on validity or threat that took up in some cases more space than the conspi
Autumn
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, waste
I will state that I did not read the WHOLE thing. I read the first ten or so 'conspiracies' and then flipped through the rest and read the conspiracy pages that interested me or caught my attention. All in all, probably read a little over half of the book.

It was interesting. It isn't going to be a 'go to' source for any of the conspiracies- each one got a few pages where it was talked about and then rated as to whether it was legend or could be true. It was interesting. Something to flip through
Noonidah
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Any book with the word "conspiracy" on the title naturally looks bad. But this book provides a fine line between whether or not the fish is aware that it's wet. There's no way a reader could take the conclusions seriously only if he/she reads the authenticity gauge at the end of each theory by heart. And it's not even a coincidence that I'm watching The Manchurian Candidate on TV right now. lol. But I must say that the Oxfordian theorists shouldn't be throwing tantrums at the Marlovians when Sha ...more
Esoldra
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I do like expanding my knowledge of things to include what cover-ups and conspiracies there are around accepted versions of historical events. This book is good for a one or two page summary on the background of such conspiracies and then provides a credibility rating, of which you then provide your own credibility as often the ones that seem most credible are the ones with the lowest credibility mark by Lewis but the ones that are least credible are the ones he gives most praise.

The benefit to
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • The Unseen Hand: An Introduction to the Conspiratoral View of History
  • The Seventies: The Great Shift In American Culture, Society, And Politics
  • Deep Politics and the Death of JFK
  • American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More Dirty Lies that the Government Tells Us
  • The CIA And The Cult Of Intelligence
  • Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend
  • The Ultimate Book of Heroic Failures
  • Antichrist: Two Thousand Years of the Human Fascination with Evil
Jon E. Lewis is a historian and writer, whose books on history and military history are sold worldwide. He is also editor of many The Mammoth Book of anthologies, including the bestselling On the Edge and Endurance and Adventure.

He holds graduate and postgraduate degrees in history. His work has appeared in New Statesman, the Independent, Time Out and the Guardian. He lives in Herefordshire with h
More about Jon E. Lewis...