Start by marking “Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)

Dorothy in the Land of Monsters

(Oz ReVamped #1)

Shifters, Zombies, and Vampires? Oh my!

My name is Dorothy Gale, and I think I might be dead.

When my dog Toto and I got swept up in a twister, we landed in hell. A very colorful hell. Like a rainbow dripping in blood. Now it looks as though this dreadful underworld plagued with vampires, zombies, and shifters will be the site of my eternal damnation.

They say this terrifyi
ebook
Published October 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dorothy in the Land of Monsters, please sign up.
Richard S. If you can get a count on the words, divide by 450 ((approx numbers of words to a page for a 12 point type such as Times New Roman, some fonts get up …moreIf you can get a count on the words, divide by 450 ((approx numbers of words to a page for a 12 point type such as Times New Roman, some fonts get up to 500) Answer is the page count.(less)

Start your review of Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)
MissBecka
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Because this cover is AMAZING!
The book...not so much.
I expected a high octane version of The Wizard of Oz with epic fight scenes and creative world building.
What I got was a highly repetitive, angst riddle, pity party featuring a girl named Dorothy.

I received my copy for NetGalley and Xpresso Book Tours.
Shelleen Toland
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was different but fun to read. Dorothy get taken away by the tornado and Toto is not described as the Toto we know but as a bloodhound.
They land in Hell. Described as a colorful Hell dripped in blood.This alternate world has vampires, zombies and shifters. The City of Emeralds is where she needs to go and follow the blood-soaked yellow brick road. Her footwear are silver boots which went on her feet when the house she was in landed on and killed the wicked vampire of the west. The City of E
Annette
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
Actually, I was not gonna request any review copies from Netgalley until I had finished them all. And then I saw this book. And all of a sudden I had read the summary and then by total accident I clicked request. And not even a few hours later I already got the message that I got the e-ARC!

The Wizard of Oz and I always have had a complicated relationship. I really loved the world and the main characters and yet the story never connected with me like for example Alice in Wonderland does. But, thi
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

UGH, I really wanted to like this. Heck the title and cover alone made it seem like it was going to be a bad ass version of Dorothy.. and yet, I was bored out of my mind!!! I don't think I've ever despised a retelling of the Wizard of Oz.. or any retelling in general. YET, it happened and I'm still in shock about it.

In this book, you will meet Dorothy. Nothing really special about her but her super powers seems to be annoyi
Mel (Epic Reading)
eARC received! I’m a sucker for Oz. *fingers crossed* this is better than Dorothy Must Die which was a bit of a flop for me (concept was great; execution fell flat). Pretty excited for this one!
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Garten Gevedon and Xpresso Book Tours for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1 star.

Ohh boy oh boy. I finally made it! This was one challenging read due to the size of this book and the uninterest I felt. It was actually a forced read. I wanted to DNF SO many times but I pushed myself just incase things turned around and it was actually a good read. Unfortunately that never happened. The beginning was probably the best part but the amount of times the w
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
DNF
This is a fairytale retelling of Wizard of Oz which is the main reason I wanted to read this.
Sorry to say this for me was a DNF.
I read up till Dorothy meeting the zombie scarecrow and it just wasn't getting any better for me so I decided to throw in the towel at that point.
I also didn't like how this closely this followed the original story with only a few key points changed.
For example, the house landing on the vampire witch, the Ruby slippers were bloody knife boots the good witch was a sla
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a bloody retelling of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and if you love retellings full of monsters and danger at every corner, you’ll want to step into this Oz ReVamped tale! Super enjoyed the world-building and revisiting The Land of Oz with all the creepy twists, but it still managed to keep the wondrous charm of the original tale.

Also gonna take a second to tell you how much I loved, loved, LOVED Ardie! He is a Zombie Scarecrow and the softest companion ever! He was a top favorite since he
Sharon
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Phew!  I just took a 500-page walk down the yellow brick road, but this time it was bloody and filled with zombies, vampires and were-beasts.  And let's not forget the bad ass Dorothy Gale and her Bloodhound Toto.

What an entertaining adventure to see Dorothy slay monsters with Ardie the zombie scarecrow, Nick Chopper (aka Tinman), the heartless player, and the cowardly Were-lion on their way to the Vampire Free Zone (aka The City of Emeralds).

The characters are colorful and well-developed and t
Garten Gevedon
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi there!

Garten Gevedon here. I just wanted to thank all the readers, bloggers, and reviewers in advance. It means so much to me that you’ve read my book, or plan to read my book, and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

There is more to come! The next book in the series is coming in 2020.

xoxo

Garten
Dana
Oct 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Man, I'm striking out with these NetGalley books...

DNF at like 2% because shut the heck up and get on with it. The first like 15 pages are the main character whining about her gray world and blah blah blah. And the cyclone picked up her house and she whines about that. Nothing about her sounded interesting or unique and I couldn't care less if she had died in the the house.

I did stick around until she landed in Oz and when she actually opened her mouth and spoke, it was worse. She didn't sound
Anne Carty
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dorothy in the land of monsters was gifted to me in exchange for a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I signed up for this review as soon as I seen that it was available and I was so excited! But I was so scared because I hadn’t received my pdf file until a week ago and I read it so quick!

Vampires, werewolves and zombies in the wizarding world of oz? Yes please! Going into this book I knew the main premise, a young girl gets whisked away in a cyclone with her dog to a magical colourf
Jessica Belmont
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Wizard of Oz re-telling? I knew I had to read this book and hoped that it would be something I loved. Dorothy in the Land of Monsters was really great and I’m glad I took the chance. It’s the story of Dorothy, who winds up lost in a strange land which she determines is hell. Her story is full of twists and turns that kept me hooked to the plot.

My only irk with the book is that it took me a bit to get into it. Once I was into it though, I had a lot of fun reading it. Garten Gevedon took the ori
Grace Ann
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Definitely a new twist to a fairy tale in the modern era. Gevedon brings us a continuing story by creating a new kind of thrilling adventure for Dorothy and her dog, Toto. We thank her for making this children's story come alive again as it is one of the best children's adventure book I have read after a long time.

Gevedon's description of the characters and the different setting in the story were very detailed making them very real. It allows readers to visualize the characters and events in the
Meghan
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Garten Gevedon in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I am a lover of the Wizard of Oz, The Wiz, and Wicked and all of its adaptations but I have read nothing of this nature and I must say I am a fan. I could not put this book down with a new modern gothic take on a classic tale and family favorite. I know a lot of people will be interested in this book and there will be a line out the door in
Andrea Thompson
This seemed like an adventure I needed to take when I was first invited to review. Oz and paranormal creatures? Sounds like my kind of read!

This re-imagining of Dorothy and Oz stands on its own while giving plenty of nostalgic feels for the original story. This is a new adventure through Oz, with Dorothy trying to get back home while encountering all kinds of creatures (vampires and shifters and zombies, oh my!) on her way. Fun, just the right splash of violence and even some steamy feelings for
Ranjh
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
What's with the "thesaurus words" comments? I knew education was in the shitter, but yeesh!
C.j.
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a retelling of a good story when vampire, shifters, and zombies are added. It always gives a different take on a classic. It's been so long since I've read or seen the movie, but I recalled the movie alot when the author described the differences between the landscapes of Kansas and Oz.

Overall. I enjoyed this take on Dorothy's journey.
Charity Solomon
The description of this book is definitely what drew me in. It starts out a little slow and dragging but once you get into the story you find that while it does stick to the lines of the original they give it it's own pizzazz to make it it's own.
From zombies, shifters and good looking murders. We follow Dorothy on her bloody quest to get home with a little romance in there .
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received an eArc from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wild and wacky retalling of the Oz stories involving vampires, werewolves, and zombies.

The humor is spot on and it's just gory enough!
Carla
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
So glad I am stepping back into fantasy reads. This was a wonderful way to get back into it, thanks to Lit Buzz and Garten Gevedon.

Check out my full review at The Lit Buzz Website

Elle
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Uhhh, I LOVED this book. So freaking fun. Amazing retelling. The author's imagination is nothing I've ever taken a deep dive into before.
Amanda Karsh
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you liked Pride and Prejudice and zombies you will like this. I was presently surprised that it was based off the book and not the movie.
Aly
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
I really like the Wizard of Oz and retellings of the story. This book tried really hard and there were parts I enjoyed. Archie the zombie and his friendship with Toto was super cute. They were hunting buddies and Archie treated Toto like a real friend and not a dog. There were also some funny parts, especially with miscommunications from Dorothy's world to Oz. I felt like this was slow and too long, it could have been much shorter and still gotten the point across. I also didn't love Dorothy or ...more
Bekah B
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
When I received an ARC of this book from the publishers I was incredibly thrilled. It sounded like the kind of book that I would love and I anticipated that it would be a 4 or 5 star read. just from the synopsis. I'm a lover of horror and especially zombies so a book with a synopsis that starts with 'Shifters, Zombies and Vampires? Oh my! got me all excited. In fact, I was so excited to read it that I put all other books on hold whilst I got stuck in to this one. BIG mistake! This book slowly an ...more
Elley Murray
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book SO MUCH. The cover is amazing, the premise is so fun. ... *sigh*
I hated the writing style for this and DNF'd halfway through chapter 2. It reads like someone is sitting there with a thesaurus and looking up fancier words for EVERY. SINGLE. ADJECTIVE. Oh, except in Chapter 1 where the word "gray" is used no less than 41 times.

"Pretty birds with rare and brilliant plumage caw and dive amongst the puce limned trees, and off in the distance is a small vermilion brook rush
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto along with their house are swept up in a tornado and whisked away to another world/realm to the Land of Monsters. The first thing Dorothy recognizes in the Land of Monsters is that it is way more colorful than her home which is grey but it is her home and she wants to return but she has no idea how to do that.

Until someone informs her that she will have to go to the Emerald City that is a vampire safe zone free of vampires. There she will meet the great wizard of O
Meg at
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wizard of Oz retelling? Yes please!
Imagine if Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland married Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill, but invited Kate Beckinsale’s Underworld character to the party…. I know right?! How does one get invited to such a shindig?

I will spare you explaining the plot of The Wizard of Oz, I mean we all know what happens in the end. If you have never heard Judy Garland singing, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, then my friend, we have some pop culture catching up to do.

This book very much fol
Ga Books LoverX
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this was an interesting read and enjoyed the likeness to the OG Wizard of Oz. It is a VERY similar plot, but there are extra scenes, emotions, and interactions between the characters that you do not see in the original. The fact that Gevedon can make it her own world while using the same plot shows what a talented author that she is. These are not your normal yellow brick road characters and OZ is VERY different with monsters, zombies, vampires- Oh my!

As mentioned above, Gevedon is a
Denice Langley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Take a well known and loved fairy tale and give it a hard twist. What comes out is a wildly entertaining story that you can almost recognize. A great book for any age or genre loving reader.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Finding Nowhere
  • Hades And Persephone: Curse Of The Golden Arrow
  • Flying With Kindness
  • Dread
  • The Soul House: Poetry
  • The Ponzi Factor: The Simple Truth About Investment Profits
  • Awareness: (The Hero Within)
  • We Of The Forsaken World...
  • Lucid Dream
  • International Estate Planning in Plain English: A Multistate and Multinational Practitioner's Guide to Domestic and Treaty-Based International Estate Planning Techniques
  • Another Five Patients
  • The Art of Love (& Loathing): A Novel
  • The Labrador Response
  • Drift: Collected Short Stories
  • The Girl in the Scarlet Chair (Haunting Clarisse #1)
  • International Taxation In Plain English: A Student's Guide To The U.S. Tax Treatment of Cross-Border Activities (Student Version)
  • Americanized '72: A Generation X Coming of Age (& Identity) Adoption Story
  • Amire La Vie!
Garten Gevedon lives in New York City with her family. She's a sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal, and magical realism author who loves taking fairy tales and turning them inside out. You can visit her online at www.gartengevedon.com.

News & Interviews

“Like Oz, life is full of beauty and horror. Whether you’re in the magical realm or the so-called civilized one, you can look at the world around you and see both things at almost any time. But what being in Oz taught me is that no matter how horrific a situation may be, no matter how devastating or scary or chaotic, there is still always beauty in the colors of it all, even in the grays. As I look back on the last four years of my life, on everything that led me to the place where my life changed forever for a second time, I might think I wasted too many crucial years perceiving my world through a lens that leeched the color from everything I set my eyes on, but now I can forgive myself for my mistakes and maybe even be grateful for the trials I’ve faced. After all, a rainbow only comes out when it rains. The most spectacular rainbows are set against a backdrop of a half dark sky where gray clouds hover and rain batters the surface of the earth, but the horizon is clear and bright—a pure, radiant blue surrounding a shining golden sun. When I’m in Oz, that rainbow is who I am—a vivid, radiant spectrum of colors with a clear bright landscape ahead only made more rich-hued and vibrant by the darkness that lies behind it.” 2 likes
“I hid from fate because I feared her. I didn’t allow myself to want anything more than color because I was afraid fate would shatter my hopes with tragedy. If I let myself love too much, fate would rip it away. Misconceptions grayed out my world, dulled it to dust and ash and fog, clouding my pain. Wrong thinking gave me the illusion of a chaotic world that made rational sense when in reality it is our thoughts and actions that make us, and ‘meant to be’ is a bandage made of make-believe.” 2 likes