Start by marking “Vote for Our Future!” as Want to Read:
Vote for Our Future!

Vote for Our Future!

In this charming and powerful picture book about voting, the students of Stanton Elementary School learn how we can find--and use --our voices for change.

Every two years, on the first Tuesday of November, Stanton Elementary School closes for the day. For vacation? Nope! For repairs? No way! Stanton Elementary School closes so that it can transform itself
Published January 14th 2020 by Schwartz & Wade Books

To ask other readers questions about Vote for Our Future!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote for Our Future!

Start your review of Vote for Our Future!
Marti M
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Kids have to live with adult choices!”

Listen, I’m not going to lie. America is kind of a dumpster fire right now. That’s why voting is as important as it’s ever been, and this book is perfect at introducing the concept to young readers! It explains the process and shows why every single vote matters. It shows the different ways people can vote and how easy it is to register!

In the back of the book there’s a history of voting in America and some of the Acts of Congress that made voting accessib
Shelby
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
"Kids have to live with adult choices."

When their elementary school closes on election day so the community can use the facility as a polling station, the children of this book did some research to find out why it's important to vote and how they can take action despite not being of voting age yet. The kids remind their neighbors of the election, help register their sister and her friend online, find rides for homebound voters, and help their families make voting plans.

The end of this book, on e
Julie
Very timely! The students at Stanton Elementary School, recognizing that their school converts to a polling place every election day, decide to help get out the vote. It's a neat little story about the rationalizations some citizens make for not voting, and how/why those reasons can be overcome as part of our responsibility as citizens. A senior voter who is less mobile can get a ride, and the kids set that up for her; a woman doesn't like to wait in lines, and the kids remind her that she waits ...more
Christy Broderick
What a great book to teach children about the importance of voting. This book makes it easy to understand, provides beautiful illustrations on every page, and shows the importance of just one vote. A great book to read today, since it’s a state primary election day in Michigan ❤️📚🤍📚💙
Melissa
This might be my favorite book about voting/elections/citizenship. It's got great illustrations, an upbeat message, and stays fairly balanced in its political slant. It's definitely more focused on the importance of voting rather than presenting a political agenda. Recommended!
Library Lady Vee
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This was such a cute story about students learning and sharing the importance of voting.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Children at an elementary school figure out how they can get involved in voting in their community.

Colorful illustrations.

Well read by Miss Molly! 😀
Annese
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We should all vote. We should all vote to make the future better."
LaToya for Senate!!!
Diane
“Kids have to live with adult choices!”

A wonderfully diverse group of students from Stanton Elementary School want to be able to vote themselves, but know they can’t. So, they do their research, create pamphlets and go out and spread the word to adults about the importance of voting. They have prepared answers to all the normal excuses why people don’t vote, the most important one being “Changes are made every day because people voted.”

After election day, the kids head back to school knowing the
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Vote For Our Future by Margaret McNamara, illustrated by Micah Player. PICTURE BOOK. Schwartz & Wade (Random House), 2020. 9781984892805

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

As Stanton Elementary School changes from a school to a polling station, the kids educate themselves about why it is important to vote. Then they go out and work hard to educate actual voters.

McNamara has written a nice look at elections and shows how even children can make a difference.

Cindy, Libra
Pam
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book from elementary children's view. McNamara shares why it's important to vote and how every age can be part of the process. The illustrations support this critical message.
Elizabeth
Sep 19, 2020 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Jenny texted me a photo "Latest library book"
Shelves: picturebooks, voting
Such a good!

"Every two years, on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November . . . Stanton Elementary School closes for the day" -- to become a polling place.

"The reason people vote is to choose who makes the laws of the country," is slightly over-simplified, but feels child-appropriate without being misleading.

"We should all vote to make the future better." / "We can't vote until we turn eighteen." / "So what can we do?" // "Kids have to live with adult choices!"

The kids do lots of research
Ellwyn Autumn
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lemon Drop Literary
Book Summary:
Elections may by for grown-ups, but when Stanton Elementary School transforms into a polling place, the students become a vital part of the election process.

In no uncertain terms, these civic minded kids prove that despite being unable to vote, there are other ways they can get involved. After reading voter guides and researching election history, the students help spread the word about the upcoming election and why it’s so important to vote.
They help their adult
Rebeca Sanchez
The children of Stanton Elementary School become educated about how they help their communities through the purposes of voting. This all is portrayed in a simple picture book that is easy for students to interact with and follow. From the illustrations' simple shapes and colors, it makes the topic of voting to be a positive practice for citizens. Even though kids aren't able to vote, they motivate their families, "adult friends," and even strangers to vote in the upcoming election. Some of the k ...more
Barbara
Digital illustrations accompany an informative story about how elementary students learn about voting and get involved in the voting process even though they themselves cannot vote yet. Since their school, Stanton Elementary School, serves as a polling place for elections every two years, the students decide to learn more about elections. They then spread out throughout the community and urge adults to cast their ballots. The idea here is that one vote does count and that change in a democracy c ...more
Cheyenne Kane
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for teaching kids how and why we vote here in the United States. One quote from the book states that "Kids have to live with adult choices" and that is important for not only kids to realize, but for adults to realize as well. We have the power in our vote to change and make decisions in our politics. This book was a great way to explain different ways to vote, how to vote, and gives examples on the common excuses on why people don't vote. By giving the examples on why peopl ...more
Flossmoor Public Library (IL)
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
4 stars

With an election coming up this year, I was pleased to see a book about voting in the children's section. This book shows how young children, who themselves can’t vote yet, help motivate their families and community to get out there and vote! Despite some of the excuses their community members gave them about not being able to vote, the children come back with other options and encourages everyone to get out there and make a difference. Also, the illustrations were beautiful and very dive
Mary
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The children of Stanton Elementary School explain to readers that their school closes for one day so people can vote. When they learn that they aren't old enough to vote, they do their research to find out what they CAN do. Before you know it, they are encouraging grown-ups to register and vote, arranging rides to the polls, making plans to run for office someday, and generally being good citizens.

We see racially and ethnically diverse families, including women in hijabs and people in wheelchai
Andrew
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's something about this book that stands out from the other children's politics books I've read-- it includes all the reasons and ways you can vote, and has an encouraging response to everybody who doesn't think it's worth voting. Here is a reminder to everyone that every vote counts, and we should use our right to do so to our advantage! Even if you're a child, there are ways to participate; and I vote yes to this book!
Read  Ribbet
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
As attention to the next election ramps up, this is a great book to introduce young children to the importance of voting. This may be an especially good read for schools that become polling places like the one in the book. McNamara wisely focuses on how young people can help get out the vote even when they are not young enough to vote. Aspirational in it's focus, it shows young people getting excited about voting and addressing excuses that adults in their lives use to avoid voting.
Peacegal
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Kids have to live with adult choices!"

With charming, retro-style illustrations, this exuberant little book celebrates the right to vote and how important it is that we all exercise that right! This awesome little book has wide appeal and would be a perfect read-aloud for primary-grade audiences right around Election Day. Great ideas for kids who cannot yet vote, to reach out to those who can.
Jill
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to your child.
Read this to your spouse.
Read this to your neighbor, your family, and yourself.

And I dare you not to tear up a little when the power of a vote—your vote—descends on you.

The teacher and school children here are a model for building safe and progressive community. The illustrations remind me of some of my favorite illustration styles from my own childhood but much more bold.

Thank you, Margaret McNamara and Micah Player. Well done.
Julie Esanu
Oversimplified fictionalized intro to voting for elementary kids. While the text notes that women didn't always have the vote, they don't discuss other forms of disenfranchisement. In addition, it doesn't explicit share the criteria of who and who cannot vote in the U.S. (just that you have to be 18). Finally, given the amount of misinformation available, the line about going online to find "all kinds of information" can be troubling especially as it relates to elections and issues.
tiffany greene
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I chose this book from the library, not my kids. And it sat on the “to read” stack for about a week before I insisted on reading it to my 11 and 8 year old. They were both on different devices at the time and they said they would “just listen”. After the 3rd page, and a quick glance at the charming illustrations they had put down their devices and were engaged with the book! Wonderful content, awesome illustrations, great story telling!!
Jessica
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book about how important it is to vote. It gives information about how old you have to be , why it's important to vote, poling stations(not in WA state-mail) , what day it is on, some people win, some people lose, laws change as time passes, things that are voted on, etc. It does not "get into parties or candidates".

This book is done in a kid friendly way and with bright hopeful pictures.

It's an important book to read to the kids this year!
Erin Buhr
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
Kids can’t vote but they are greatly affected by each election. This book empowers kids to get involved in the election season by encouraging and supporting their adults to vote. It is practical but also so encouraging and uplifting. The sparse text is great for reading aloud and well crafted. The illustrations pop and pull you into the story. I love the diversity of people and ideas. I love the way it involves kids not just educates them. A must read for any election season.
Colleen
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute, vibrantly illustrated book about some very basic information about voting (probably for kids ages 5-9 years). It doesn't give much detail about the requirements for voting, but seems to mostly focus on the importance of encouraging people to vote and stating that each vote is important. Tells about an elementary school that is used as a polling place and some children who are participating in "get the vote out" type efforts.
Lynn
Great picture book introducing kids to the idea of voting. Shows a diversity of people and kids actively getting their parents to vote. Pleasant and important. My only caveat is that it does stress that only American citizens can vote. I worry that immigrant and refugee parents might vote by mistake.
Melissa Nikohl
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
The students of Stanton Elementary are out of school because their school is a polling station for the day.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
On their day off, the students encourage all of the adults in their community to get out and vote.⁣⁣
⁣⁣
The author does a great job explaining key vocabulary words and concepts while telling a story.⁣⁣
Sylvia
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Kids have to live with adult choices!"

A very important book. You don't need to have a child in order to read this book. It's a refreshing reminder about the power of voting and what it means to live in a country where we can vote.
It also tackles the many reasons people give why they can't vote or don't want to (don't want to stand in line, does my vote even matter, etc...etc..).
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vote for Me!
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • Bedtime Bonnet
Margaret McNamara is the Christopher Award–winning author of more than two dozen books for young readers, including the Robin Hill School series. The Fairy Bell Sisters series is inspired not only by her love of the classic sisterhood novel Little Women but by her own experiences growing up with older sisters (and a baby brother). Margaret and her family live in New York City, but they spend part ...more

News & Interviews