Start by marking “Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol” as Want to Read:

The founder of a female-focused recovery program offers a radical new path to sobriety.

“You don’t know how much you need this book, or maybe you do. Either way, it will save your life.”—Melissa Hartwig Urban, Whole30 co-founder and CEO

We live in a world obsessed with drinking. We drink at baby showers and work events, brunch and book club, graduations and funerals. Yet no
Expected publication: December 31st 2019 by Dial Press

Win a Copy of This Book

• Quit Like a Woman by Holly Whitaker
    Release date: Dec 31, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 50 finished copies of QUIT LIKE A WOMAN by Holly Whitaker.

“An unflinching examination of how our drinking culture

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 960 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 30 - Dec 29, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Quit Like a Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quit Like a Woman

Start your review of Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
    Holly Whitaker
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
    It's my book so I definitely, definitely recommend it. xo
    Valentine
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I feel like I'm reading HUNGER GAMES 4. I'm eating this sh** up and bookmarking every f***ing page. This FEMINIST MANIFESTO takes down the patriarchy of the alcohol industry and current recovery models. It's STUFFED with WISDOM & TOOLS. So much f***ing RESEARCH went into this book. I feel like I'm being deprogrammed from old a** oppressive beliefs about recovery and alcohol that have been drilled into me by society and the alcohol industry since I was a child. This sh** is fresh, fresh, ...more
    Albert Pura
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    QLAW is not the type of book that I would normally read, but I consider myself fortunate enough to have been able to so, and loved it. The book is a combination of the history and workings of Big Alcohol and the impacts it has, Holly’s personal journey through her struggles with alcohol and getting sober, and how others can find a path to sobriety. It is beautifully written and conveys a true sense of the author. For anyone thinking about reading this book, I would recommend, even if you don’t ...more
    Toni Smith
    Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    My only critique is the title! There's so much great information in here for everyone. Gents, don't be deterred; everyone should read, learn, and self-examine.
    Trish
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    At once a beautifully written memoir and a meticulously researched examination of the insidious role alcohol plays in our lives. There are so many ah-ha moments in the book that will forever change the way you think about drinking, along with solutions for cutting it out of your life entirely. A truly revolutionary read...
    Emily
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is fantastic. Truly game-changing. If you've ever been interested in understanding why drinking is a feminist issue-- read this book.
    Kelly Gardiner
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book changed my life. Uncovering the true nature of the way alcohol keeps us small and oppresses us will forever change your view on how we are told we need to make alcohol work.
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to The Dial Press and Random House for generously providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review. Quit Like a Woman has been one of my most anticipated reads since Holly announced she was working on a book last year.

I listened to Holly and Laura McKowen on their HOME Podcast weekly for over three years (and therefore feel like we are on a first name basis). I loved their friendship, conversations, and interviews with key players in the recovery space. I loved how
    Erin Ranta
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Having followed the author’s writing on other platforms, I was thrilled to receive a copy of her book. It was an absolute groundbreaking powerhouse of a book...packed with need to know knowledge sewn together with honest personal stories. I wish this was out when I was trying to quit drinking, but it’s here for everyone now which is what matters. QLAW looks at the role big alcohol has in keeping us sick and points out so many correlations to big tobacco. The book really made me think deeply ...more
    Moryah
    Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: first-reads
    I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
    I enjoyed parts of this book and really disliked parts of this book. Some of what the author says seems to be unneeded and a little rambling. Some parts though made me really stop and think. I don't know that it will help someone stop drinking. It will make you question some of your motives behind your habits though. Overall, it made me stop and reevaluate somethings so it was worth the read.
    Whitney
    Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Quit Like a Woman is an extremely important addition to the current literature on addiction and recovery. It beautifully weaves together a discussion of the myriad of ways alcohol damages our lives and our culture with the beautiful story of Holly's recovery journey. The many practical tips and tools for designing an individualized recovery path for yourself make this a must read for anyone who wants to understand or renegotiate their relationship with alcohol.
    Vicky
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: giveaways
    Enjoyed reading this book.
    Deborah J. Russo

• Here for It: Or, How to Save Your Soul in America; Essays
    • Girl Crushed
    • Fleabag: Scriptures
    • Olive, Again
    • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
    • Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11)
    • Ask Again, Yes
    • In the Time of the Butterflies
    • She Lies in Wait (DCI Jonah Sheens, #1)