Start by marking “Home Girl” as Want to Read:
Home Girl

Home Girl

This isn’t my home. Haven’t had a proper home since . . . This is just somewhere I’ll be resting my bones for a week and maybe a bit. This time next year you’ll forget who I am. I haven’t got a diddly where I’ll be by then. But I’m used to it.

New from the UK-based best-selling black British author and winner of the Guardian Children’s Book Award, Home Girl is the story of
Published September 3rd 2019 by Black Sheep (first published April 4th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Home Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Girl

Start your review of Home Girl
Yna the Mood Reader
May 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
May 24 2019:
Extremely excited to read a book with the premise: Home Girl is fast-paced and funny, tender, tragic, and full of courage—just like Naomi. It is Alex Wheatle’s most moving and personal novel to date.

Thank you, Edelweiss, Black Sheep & Consortium for sending me an advance copy!
Eve beinguniquebooks
Naomi has grown up in foster care since her mum committed suicide and her dad became an alcoholic leaving Naomi to care for him before the council took her into care.

Since being in care she has tried many placements and tried to find permanent care in a new family but instead has had tons of homes until Tony and Colleen come along with their other two foster children.

She also has to attend a school for expelled kids where her friends from care unit still catch up with her the girls there, her
Siobhan
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Home Girl is a young adult novel about being in the care system and chasing stability. Naomi is a fourteen year old girl about to move in with new emergency foster parents. She likes horror films, drinking Coke, and dancing, and she used to care for her alcoholic father before going into care. The novel follows her try new foster carers, hang out with her friends in her Pupil Referral Unit, and look for something stable, even somewhere she might be able to call home.

This is a powerful novel,
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A good emotional rollercoaster of a read, felt a bit repetitive and slow at times but overall I enjoyed this and would recommend the book.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Amanto Moura
Mais um livro que leio seguidamente e fala sobre adoção. História bacana cheia de altos e baixos com potencial continuação.
Victoria Robinson
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read the synopsis of this on Netgalley I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting myself into, I knew it sounded interesting but I wasn’t expecting to be “hit in the feels” as much as I was.

"This isn’t my home. Haven’t had a proper home since…This is just somewhere I’ll be resting my bones for a week and maybe a bit. This time next year you’ll forget who I am. I haven’t got a diddly where I’ll be by then. But I’m used to it"

This novel truly had it all, there were times when I wanted to laugh
Cynthia Parkhill
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Naomi, a teenage girl in the UK foster-care system, is placed with a temporary family, the Goldings. When she arrives at the Goldings' home, Naomi is wary at first, especially of Tony, the father, because past experience has led Naomi to suspect men of wanting to sexually abuse her.

As her stay progresses, Naomi gradually comes to trust this new family; observing her become able to let down some of her barriers is one of the most moving aspects of this book.

Outside the household, on multiple
Rachael
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Naomi is stuck in the care system, not many people want to adopt a teenager. Everyone has a story in the care system and Naomi's is tragic, she had to grow up too fast to look after her alcoholic father. Carrying her meercat toy from foster home to foster home she struggles to find happiness. She attends the Pupil Referral Unit, a school for people who continually get expelled, with two girls she knows. Life gets a little bit better for Naomi when she ends up being fostered by a black family. ...more
Carol
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, ya, librarything
Naomi is fourteen, she longs for a real home but chances are not likely. I liked her a lot. Her mother was and her father an alcoholic, Naomi took care of her dad but she had a lot of growing up to do, no real childhood and no concrete plans for future. But first she need love and guidance and real friends, not the girls she called but they were the wrong crowd, getting into trouble often and not ones to
trust. Her latest chance for a foster family seemed like great choice to me. Naomi enjoyed
Alison Sims
Jul 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tabrizia
So raw and emotional with parts f humor entwined in. Alex Wheatle was able to bring such a difficult subject into the light, which made it more realistic and compelling for any reader. I thought I would be deterred by the use of language Wheatle used, but I found it more interesting and allowed me to be more engaged in the story. Naomi had some annoying and ignorant but seeing her life through her eyes doesn't excuse her actions but makes it more understandable. For a 14 year old she had to grow ...more
Lynn
This is a powerful story about a vunerable teenager in the care system desperately wanting stability but undertandably angry and defensive about her situation. Naomi is a colourful and complex character but unfortunately I just didn't connect with her.

I also found the plot lacking, this was more of a slice of life rather than going in any direction. That along with a lot of repetition (the bouncing down the stairs in particular) ultimately led me to not enjoy this book.

It just wasn't for me
Amanda Sanders
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn some British slang, this book will help. It reminded me of the movie "To Sir With Love" because it involves a middle class black adult dealing with inner city problem teens. The main character, Naomi, is temporarily placed with a black family in foster care. She is white and her case worker hopes to find a white family for her. Naomi becomes attached to her foster family and then has opportunities to leave. She has to decide what is best for her and learn who is really on ...more
Isla-Grace Davies
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea behind the message of this book. But I was instantly put off by the uber-colloquial, irritating phrases our protagonist uses constantly. I’m not sure whether the author was trying to convey a character or whether he believes this is how teenagers talk, but it was unbearable. Any heartwarming moments were thrown out of the window with the chaotic hodgepodge of a conclusion. Some of the plot points were so convoluted that I felt like I was watching a soap opera. I've heard a lot ...more
Cenedra
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit that I'd never heard of this author before but the synopsis for this book really intrigued me.
I've never read a story quite like this one, it goes into depth on what life for a teenager like the main character Naomi is like to go from foster home to foster home.
This was a super fast paced read which I enjoyed and although I didn't always like and connect with every single character I did really love
Isha Narang
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book told the story of a young teen who thinks she's mature enough to face the world. It tells about how she learns that a family is the best place for her, even if it's not the one she was expecting. I enjoyed the book. I think the author overused some of the language and I wish more of Naomi's thoughts were included in between the narration. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy realistic fiction. Overall, it was a good book with only a few faults. I also wish the setting had ...more
Pamela
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the plotline is not exactly an everyday occurrence, it has been better done in other books. The characters are often stereotypical and cardboardish and the dialogue sounded like the author sat at some coffee shop where teenagers hung out and wrote down the words and snippets of dialogue he heard there.

While neither this book nor the author’s writing appealed to me, I’m sure there are those who will love it.

My thanks to Black Sheep and Edelweiss for an eARC.
Terri
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The narrative voice obviously was not that of a generation z teenager - because that would lose relevance within 2 years. It was distinctively A TEENAGER, and was done consistently and well, using phrases that weren't standard English but ridiculous enough to imagine that a teenager came up with them. This voice fit the novel, as it's set in a fictitious world.

Not 5 stars because the ending felt rushed and incomplete.
Alma
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naomi was street wise, knowing the only one who could take care of anything at home was herself. Though only 14 years old, she’d been in charge of her drunkard father for years after her mother committed suicide, cooking and paying bills. She’d seen a lot in her young life, and resented being put into the foster care system after he disappeared. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
Abir Mohammad
This was a cute read, with great character building. It falls a tad boring at points but that doesn't distract from the good story and characters that come along with it. Hoping there's a sequel so we get a more tied up ending, but for what it's worth, this was a good one.

Recommend this for some nice holiday reading.
Amy
Nov 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had a good plot line however when i finished it i just felt like nothing had really happened. It felt like i had just read some random things from someone life in a very boring way.
Emma
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this, I thought I would give it 4 stars, but the end totally bumped it up to 5. Loved the authentic voice of Naomi and all the different themes that Wheatle has managed to weave into the narrative. A punch of a novel that will make you think.
Sherlyn
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewers
In my opinion i didn't really enjoy this book. This book wasn't really interesting to me it didn't really pull me in. I say this would me a good book for like high schoolers because it has mature stuff. It was just not interesting reading thzzz
Kayla
Really want to know how the rest of her life goes. Does she find a family?? Does Colleen and Tony adopt her??
Miss Jith
Good, enjoyed this! Could have done with a bit more at the end but it was a great emotional portrayal of being in the care system.
Jess Combs
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will review later.
Kara
The dialogue, dialect, and forced accents are embarrassingly bad. This book is just one big YIKES.
L A
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Atom and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book tells the story of Naomi, a young girl growing up in the care system. The book explores her past and present experiences in the care system and her interactions with social workers, foster families and children's homes.

This is quite a short read (I finished it in a few hours) and is very character driven as opposed to plot driven. On the plot front, not a lot really happens and the novel is more
Victoria Robinson

• I Am Not a Number
  • Heartstream
  • Toffee
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
  • Proud
  • Where the River Runs Gold
  • The Boy Who Steals Houses
  • Poems to Live Your Life By
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Furious Thing
  • Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)
  • The Starlight Watchmaker (The Watchmaker and the Duke, #1)
  • The Boxer
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
‘One of the most exciting writers of the black urban experience’ The Times

Alex Alphonso Wheatle MBE (3 January 1963) is an award winning black British novelist of Jamaican heritage and has been described as one of the UK’s most exciting writers.
Wheatle spent much of his childhood in a Surrey children's home. At sixteen he was a founder member of the Crucial Rocker sound system and his DJ name was