Start by marking “House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)” as Want to Read:
House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)

House on Fire

(Nick Heller #4)

In New York Times bestselling author Joseph Finder's new thriller, private investigator Nick Heller is hired to infiltrate a powerful family whose wealth and reputation hide something far more sinister.

Nick Heller, private spy, exposes secrets that powerful people would rather keep hidden.

At the funeral of his good friend Sean, an army buddy who once saved Nick's life
Published January 21st 2020 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about House on Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House on Fire

Start your review of House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
So famous former Special Forces Operative, wounded soldier and now private detective Nick Heller is back. After returning from war, he had fought against his opioid addiction and lost his close friend Sean. Now he is hired by the heir of Kimball family, a woman who decides to be whistleblower about her familys business secrets and she claims that her father secretly makes huge profits from oxy and he hid this from regulators. Now its time for him to be exposed and she needs help of Nick to solve ...more
Kaceey
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A timely thriller dealing primarily with the opioid crisis and the role of powerful pharmaceutical companies involved.

Nick Heller is a private investigator. Despite the steady income his business provides, he refuses to handle petty divorce cases. Thus, his business isnt exactly a booming success. But make no mistake Nick is someone youd always want on your side. Personally, Id hire him in a minute! His ship may have just come in when the opportunity arises to locate a very troubling hidden memo
Matt
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Joseph Finder and Penguin Group Dutton for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

As Joseph Finder returns with a fourth Nick Heller novel, the reader is pulled into the centre of a wonderful story with action that does not dissipate. When Nick Heller learns that an Army buddy of his has died from an overdose, he is stunned and rushes to help however he can. Learning that Oxydone, a
L.A. Starks
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is another great book from Joseph Finder, 4th in the Heller series. I appreciate his research, the constant conflict, and the emotional tangles that drive this book forward. With a focus on opioids and a highly dysfunctional family, the dynamics get complex and interesting quickly and stay that way throughout the book.

So, what's my beef? Why 4 starts instead of 5? The tiresome, stereotypical Texas villain. Texans are the last minority (approx. 9-10%) of the U.S. population that
Dave
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nick Heller is a tough as nails private eye, asked by a rebellious family member to investigate and find hidden test data showing oxycodone is addictive. The family runs Big Pharma, lives in a big mansion, and when there's a murder, it's like the murder mystery weekend in the mountains with everyone and their guests a suspect. Well-written, absorbing, with just enough action to keep it interesting.
Faith
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I havent read any of the other books in the series, but this book works fine as a standalone. It is an unexceptional thriller that held my interest enough for me to keep reading. There were too many tedious descriptions of Nick Heller breaking into places and/or getting beaten up. Heller seems to have zero personality, so maybe the fight scenes are what his fans are looking for. There is a mild twist at the end, once all of the motives of the various unlikeable characters are sorted out. I ...more
Donna Hines
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Passion, Intensity, Justice!
I loved everything in this one and more because of the vibrant work of Nick Heller whose at the top of his game.
He's determined to help after his army buddy Sean passed from an opiod addiction resulting in an overdose.
More and more we see our country under attack by such addictive pain killers and the crushing aftermath upon loved ones from pharmaceuticals seeking to make a quick buck.
I'll never forget the offering of a pain killer such as a steroid for pain that was
Patrice Hoffman
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I intended to finish House on Fire before the New Year and was totally on track to do that but I my best friend decided it was time to break my New Year's tradition of sleeping in and having an impromptu party/double date at my house. Once that happened, I knew that life would resume to normalcy including work and school with Finder's novel being its first victim. Ultimately, I finished House on Fire a week ago. In traditional fashion, I am now finally able to share my thoughts.

So...

Let's go!

Kay
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A winner right here! House on Fire is the best of Nick Heller, a fantastic thriller and I can only wish his series will be an annual treat. Love the characters and woah, I didn't see that coming.
Jacqui
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this latest Nick Heller detective story, House on Fire (Penguin 2020), Nick, a former Special Forces operative who is now a private investigator, is hired by the heir to a pharmaceutical fortune to expose her father (the owner of the company) as knowing their most popular drug. Oxydone, as a massively addictive opioide pain killer--worse than heroine--and that he hid this from regulators because of the huge profits he would make from its release. Her intention is to blackmail her father into ...more
Denise
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
"And the snake says, 'Yeah, but you knew what I was when you picked me up.'"

This fourth installment of the Nick Heller series has the elite private investigator taking on the rich Kimball family. They own a pharmaceutical company whose main product is an opiate, Oxydone, a nasal inhaler that quickly delivers a powerful dose of the substance. Result - almost instant addiction. In addition, lots of deaths due to overdoses. Nick is hired by one of the Kimball daughters to find evidence to take her
Donna
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ex-Special Forces veterans Sean Lenehan and private intelligence/investigator Nick Heller hold a special bond. While in the service, Sean saved Nick's life so when Sean needed help, Nick sent him to a 3 month rehab to kick an opioid addiction. Sean had been taking Oxydone, a nasal inhaler opiate. Nick drops everything when Sean's wife calls to tell him that Sean is dead of an overdose.

A woman, Sukie Kimball, comes to the funeral. She is daughter of the founder of Kimball Pharma, maker of Oxydone
Carole
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Usually I find Finder's books to be more readable. This one was okay. The story of the rich pharma family, the problems of opioids, all topical stuff. The Nick Heller character has always been sort of one dimensional, but this novel was more one dimensional than usual. All of the characters, who should have come alive in the pages, or should have been characters one could love or hate or love to hate, not so much. Just didn't care. But it was a quick read, and it was okay. Just disappointing.
Ron S
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Boilerplate thriller (very) mildly elevated by a storyline that includes a Succession-like big pharma family, and the opioid crisis plaguing so many today.
Morgan
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heller is hired by the daughter of a billionaire Big Pharma magnate manufacturer of a deadly opioid that is killing people by the hundreds. She claims there is a secret hidden document showing that the company knew from early trials that the drug was addictive. She is outraged and has decided to be the whistle-blower. Heller is supposed to find the documents to enable her to bring down the company and her father. A little far-fetched but I liked the idea.

Unfortunately the story strays into
Vikas Bansal
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Usually, JF's books are page-turners but this book was a disappointment!
Hobart
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
I should have checked in with Patty weeks ago. I guess I was figuring that if [Sean] was back on drugs, shed let me know. I obviously figured wrong. I was angry at myself for not staying more closely in touch.

He saved my life once; I should have been able to save his.

When you get right down to it, readers don't know that much about Nick Heller at this pointit's not that kind of series. One benefit of this is that
Steve
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I waited a long time for the new Heller book and it was worth it. A good mystery and Heller remains a fascinating character. I can't wait for the next release in the series.
Tracy
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audible
Love Nick Heller books so much I pre-ordered this one. Good mystery/thriller - I did figure out the ending beforehand - even so, enjoyed the plot and found it interesting and exciting.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
HOUSE ON FIRE provides thriller readers --- and everyone else --- with the opportunity to welcome back Nick Heller. This long-running PI series combines Joseph Finders penchant for utilizing high finance and business topics with tantalizing takes on the mystery genre. Heller is a bit of an enigma. He keeps his agency off the radar, if not on the down-low, by relying on word of mouth and naming his agency Heller Associates Actuarial Consulting Services to cut down on the foot traffic, a tactic ...more
Anschen Conradie
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-popsugar
#HouseonFire - Joseph Finder
#HeadofZeus
#PasellaBook

Nick Heller is not an ordinary private investigator; he is a private information gatherer - specializing in economic and corporate affairs. And he certainly has in depth knowledge of white collar crimes: both his brother and father are serving long term prison sentences for embezzlement, tax transgressions and fraud. Nick does have a military background, however, and thus knows how to take care of himself.

When an old friend from his days in the
Shoshana
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. The latest installment of Finders Nick Haller series, it is a mixture of a thriller and a private detective story. Haller is a former Special Ops soldier who now has his own agency in Boston. He is everything a private detective should be; strong, resolute, smart, accomplished, well, you get the drift. He is an honest man in a dishonest world.

If you have not read any of the other Haller books never fear, this reads as a complete standalone. House on Fire starts with Nick
Ed
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
#4 in the Nick Heller series. This 2020 series entry by author Joseph Finder is an enjoyable page-turner. Series protagonist Nick Heller goes undercover to uncover secret documents proving the existence of denied clinical trials proving the Kimball family's drug Oxydone to be more addictive than admitted. Although the author states in an afterword that the novel is completely fictional and not based on any real product, I find that there is an uncanny parallel between the Kimballs and the real ...more
Foster Winter
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. I had read a couple of Joseph Finder's books and thought I had another go-to author. Perhaps the higher ratings that others have given this book are from folks who a fans of Highly Unbelievable action stories.

As this is the 4th in the Nick Heller series, the character has connected with readers. I just don't happen to be one of them. I found that Nick was not particularly likable, and while I respect his special forces training, the whole macho thing, facing several others
Mark
The 4th in the Finder Nick Heller series and I've enjoyed each immensely, even more than his corporate thrillers...Its probably because the Nick Heller character is coming closer and closer to one of my favorite characters from this genre of military bad-asses turned into lawyers/PIs and such, Brian Haig's Sean Drummond...In this one, he's hired to find an internal hidden memo of a very powerful drug company that shows its highly profitable and highly addictive opioid product was released after ...more
Erika
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I read Paranoia years and years ago, I have loved Joseph Finder's books. They are always fast paced and entertaining. This one was no different, revolving around a super rich family who made their money by developing an Opioid that is highly addictive and claiming lives left and right. Nick Heller, a private investigator, who just lost a good friend to Opioid addiction, is hired by the daughter of the company's founder to dig up dirt and take him down. This was an entertaining and ...more
Jean
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story that got my attention as it is a thriller dealing primarily with the opioid crisis and the role of powerful pharmaceutical companies involved - family , money & siblings all trying to find a place in the business or just the wealth - many twist & turns - fast pace reading - maybe a few had too much filler on background of the past....
Tricia Douglas
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Finder is one of my favorite suspense authors. I'd actually rate this book a 4.5. Good characters with a theme relating to current drugs and how they become opiate addicting problems for people. A lot of intrigue and family money/control over corporations.
Nick Stika
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series is quite good, though Finder doesn't write a lot of them. Nick Heller is a good guy and hero to certainly get behind. I hope Finder writes some more.
Jane
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Not my favorite Finder novel but still a good mystery.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Big Lie
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Recursion
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett, #20)
  • Lost
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Deep State
  • Smoke Screen
Joseph Finder is the author of the forthcoming novel JUDGMENT and fourteen other novels, many of them New York Times bestsellers, published in 35 countries around the world. His book HIGH CRIMES was adapted into a movie starring Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd; PARANOIA was made into the Harrison Ford/Gary Oldman film.

He was born in Chicago, lived in the Philippines, Afghanistan, Washington State,

Nick Heller (4 books)
  • Vanished (Nick Heller, #1)
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Guilty Minds (Nick Heller, #3)