Start by marking “The Slaughter Man” as Want to Read:
The Slaughter Man

The Slaughter Man

When her identical twin Laurel dies, seventeen-year-old Willow’s life falls apart. With her parents’ marriage faltering, she finds escape at her uncle Joe’s cottage. But even as they begin to know each other, Willow is plagued with memories of her sister. Then, Lucas arrives in her life – troubled, angry and with a dangerous past.

Joe’s cottage is idyllic, but the forest is filled wipast.

Joe’s
Published September 16th 2019 by Legend Press

To ask other readers questions about The Slaughter Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slaughter Man

Liz Barnsley
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Slaughter Man is an intense, beautifully written novel about grief, in this case the peculiar grief following the loss of part of you as Willow goes on a very personal and difficult journey after the death of her identical twin sister.

In fact The Slaughter Man is a novel of identity, of readjusting to a new reality and it is told through a dreamlike quality of prose and an emotionally resonant point of view. The Slaughter Man at the heart of the novel is a person both real and im
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

I'm surprised by the amount of negative reviews this easy to read thriller novel had received because it really wasn't all that bad. Sure it's not great since there were a little more than a few flaws that I disliked but the authors writing style allowed the story to run smoothly and emotionally driven storyline that showcased the reality of grief impressed me greatly. I loved the dynamic between Lucas and Willow, and how he pushed her towards the end. I will notate that I wasn't exactly i
Honestmamreader
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
With a striking title like this, you could be fooled to think this book is a tale of horror and gore. But, the cover and blurb will bring you to realise that this book has hidden depths and is much more than a thriller.

Willow's identical twin sister Laurel has died. A part of her has been taken away. They were close and did everything together, the sisters were the ultimate two peas in a pod. So, when Laurel dies, Willow is left with a gaping hole in her life.

We get to see not only the emotion
my bookworm life
I was kindly sent a copy of this book from the publishers at legendpress as i took part in the book tour over on Instagram, all views are my own.

This book really blew me away! it was so different from what i guess i initially thought it was going to be like, i had thought maybe it would be quite a supernatural vibe but i couldn't have predicted how emotional it was!. From the start i was just instantly taken by the story, and by Willow! what a brilliant character!.

I adored learning
Jodie (jodie.loves.books)
The first thing I have to say about this book is that it contains some of the most beautiful, lyrical writing that I’ve ever read. With such an original concept and haunting, dream-like prose, The Slaughter Man is definitely a very special book.

We follow Willow, a 17 year old girl struggling with grief following her twin sisters death. Since Laurel’s death, Willow no longer speaks and is finding it difficult to carry on with her life. It’s decided that she should spend some time away
Louise Beech
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an intense, emotional, haunting and unforgettable book. Essentially, it is about grief - that of Willow whose twin sister Laurel recently died. But it is also about recovery, about the power of our dreams, about the violent acts that shape us, and about the strangers who are not always what they seem. I devoured this in days, and can't forget it.
Bigfatbookworm
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, DO NOT let the title of the novel fool you into thinking this is a King-style horror, hatchets flying from the hand of some demonic woodsman. It is nothing like that. There have been some reviewers who have mused on appropriateness of the title, Slaughter Man for this reason. Well, in this blogger's opinion, that's what synopses are there for, and I like the title.

Anyway... enough about that.

What this novel is, rather than being a hatchet horror, is a beauti
Anne
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
As a portrait of grief, this book is quite exceptional. The loss of an identical twin – that other self you constantly see in the mirror – only makes that loss even more inescapable. And this is grief felt so deeply that it has a physical impact – Willow can no longer speak. But this book takes us inside her head, sharing her thoughts and imagined conversations – and sharing her disturbing dreams, and their aftermath. It’s an uncomfortable place to be – and the whole experience is an emotional o ...more
Ioanna
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok

At seventeen, Willow loses the most important person in her life: her twin sister, Laurel. Now, with nightmares haunting her every night and her life a complete mess, she has to learn how to cope without her soul sister. When things get incredibly rough, her uncle will take her away for a change of scenery. But in a cottage, away from the largest part of civilization, can Willow handle
Pamela Scott
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book made me cry several times when I was reading it. I’ve read a few of the author’s book and have been impressed so I was looking forward to The Slaughter Man which sounded different than her other books. I was not disappointed. First off, this book is really beautiful, lyrically written. I read several sections a few times because the language and style was such a pleasure to get lost in. This is a hard book to pigeonhole so let’s not bother. There are elements of mystery and su
Marissa
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The Slaughter Man is about a seventeen-year-old girl named Willow, who has just suffered the loss of her twin and is no longer able to speak. Unable to cope, it’s suggested that she gets out of her current environment to live with her uncle for a few months to see if it improves her condition. While wandering the woods around her uncle’s place, she trespasses on the property of Slaughter Man, the local horror story. Throughout her stay, she tries to find ways to get better while still being haun ...more
Louise
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Michelle Ryles
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I don't even read the synopsis before selecting a Cassandra Parkin book as I know I'm in for a unique and evocative read. With her emotive writing, Cassandra Parkin is able to make the most mundane things into something dark and menacing to highlight the feelings of her characters. Just the name of this book itself, The Slaughter Man, gave me the creeps and I only meant to have a quick peek at the book but before I knew it, I was half way through!

I absolutely adore the cover of this
Alexandria Smith
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of Cassandra Parkin's writing for quite a few years. She's one of those authors who writes stories that linger in your head for days and days afterwards. Each and every one of her books are so very different, yet her own beautiful style shines through in each of them.

The Slaughter Man is really quite wonderful. It's a heartbreaking, yet quite frightening story of grief and loss, and how the strongest of emotions can affect a person physically.

Willow is ber
rina dunn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Firstly I need to say that the prose in this book is stunning! It's lyrical and a portrays grief in such a raw and powerful way.
The storyline follows Willow, a 17 year old girl as she battles with the loss of her identical twin sister Laurel.
Told from alternating times when Willow is Lucid and When Willow is Dreaming this really added something quite unique which really helps the reader connect with Willow and it's clear that grief has completely taken over her life.
Willow has
Vanessa
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-x, xx
The Slaughter Man by Cassandra Parkin was a beautifully written book and portrays grief in such a raw and powerful way that will touch your heart. I have never read anything from this author and it wont be my last. I will be looking out for her books now......Just Beautiful!
Willow is seventeen and loses the most important person in her life who she loves dearly, her twin sister Laurel. Every night she has nightmares that haunt her and has to learn how to cope to live with out her rock and
Ellie (bookmadbarlow)
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well this was not what I was expecting from the book, even after reading the blurb, this is about an older teen trying to process her grief, but the alternating chapters between present day and dream life were a bit jarring and the dream sections way to weird for me.
I think that was my main problem, I shy away from books with the weirder elements in them and so I wasn't prepared for it. I found the introduction of Luca and the subsequent storyline a bit creepy and the whole Slaughter Man thing
Cheryl
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a tense read, in which almost everybody seems to be suffering in silence - not just Willow but Luca, her uncle and her parents. When suffering with grief or other emotional issues, people are always encouraged to talk and share their pain, but sometimes, it would appear, listening to others can be just as effective. The book ends with the idea that things will soon be better, but nobody actually has a final solution - just a sense of hope.

Full review on my blog : https://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspo...
Georgia_books
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book went in a complete different direction that what I'd expected but I'm not mad at it. It was FULL of eye-opening, heart wrenching grief and pain and every character appeared to be battling their own demons. Mental health is a huge part of this book and I personally feel that Cassandra Parkin portrayed the every day struggles and pain that grief thrust onto people. Raw emotions lay out left right and center to get caught up in.

Full review here https://georgiabooks.wordpress.com/20...
Vonda
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
On this the interesting side this story shows the grief you have at the loss of a very close on in its rawest form. It's got more of a snoozefest side......slow paced and confusing.
Cristie Underwood
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was a surprisingly great read. I thought it was going to be only ok, but it actually had a lot of emotional depth and kept me engaged. I highly recommend it!
wearethecuriousbookclub
Rhonda Lomazow
Aug 27, 2019
Vivien Sharp
Oct 08, 2019
Cassandra Parkin grew up in Hull, and now lives in East Yorkshire. Her short story collection, New World Fairy Tales (Salt Publishing, 2011), won the 2011 Scott Prize for Short Stories and her work has been published in numerous magazines and anthologies.

The Summer We All Ran Away (Legend Press, 2013) was Cassandra's debut novel.

Her work has been published in numerous magazines and an