Start by marking “The Unwanted Gaze: The Destruction of Privacy in America” as Want to Read:
The Unwanted Gaze: The Destruction of Privacy in America

The Unwanted Gaze: The Destruction of Privacy in America

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Unwanted Gaze is an important book about one of the most pressing issues of our day: how changes in technology and the law have combined to demolish our rights of privacy, and what we can and must do to re-secure them.

In a world in which Ken Starr can subpoena Monica Lewinsky?s bookstore receipts and deleted e-mail messages can be used as justification for firing emplo
Published June 12th 2001 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Unwanted Gaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unwanted Gaze

Matt
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars more accurately describes my feeling.

Rosen delivers some powerful and ultimately prophetic thoughts on the future of privacy law in America. For a book that came out in 2000, and references a time when AOL and AltaVista were still kings, man did it get a lot right.

Unfortunately, the first two chapters of the book spoil this otherwise good insight. In attempting to make a case for the reclassification of some sexual harassment situations as invasion of privacy torts, Rosen manages to c
Liz
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think he missed the mark on this one. The book really only looks at privacy as it relates to sex or sexual harassment. But there are so many aspects of that should have been explored. I felt this book was a waste of my time :(
Kevin
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is for the Kindle edition of the work, which for whatever reason, wasn't an option on Goodreads.

With The Unwanted Gaze: The Destruction of Privacy in America, Jeffrey Rosen presents a thought-provoking, if somewhat controversial, argument about the loss of personal privacy in America today, a development he criticizes on legal, sociological, ethical, and political grounds. One part history, one part polemic, The Unwanted Gaze encapsulates a view of privacy that goes far beyond what the aver
David Wake
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Some really interesting theoretical commentary about privacy and the history of privacy law in the US. But also quite a bit of the book was dedicated to discussing Privacy through the lens of sexual harassment law, which was less interesting.
Malynda
Apr 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
Another one for the unfinished business shelf. I pretty much knew that I wouldn't finish it when I could hardly get through the prologue. This one might be a donation to the library. It felt like something I would have to write a paper on in college.
John
nonfiction,information science
G
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-caliber
Slightly out of date and a little politically naive but best appreciated as a history of privacy law in America.
Gibson Grand