Start by marking “Virgin River” as Want to Read:
Virgin River

Virgin River

(Virgin River #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  23,398 ratings  ·  1,811 reviews
Soon to be a Netflix Original Series!

Welcome back to Virgin River with the book that started it all…

Wanted: Midwife/nurse practitioner in Virgin River, population six hundred. Make a difference against a backdrop of towering California redwoods and crystal clear rivers. Rent-free cabin included.

When the recently widowed Melinda Monroe sees this ad, she quickly decides that/>
Published October 22nd 2019 by MIRA (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Virgin River, please sign up.
Sara ♥ Technically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there…moreTechnically the Grace Valley Trilogy comes before this one. You can read those first if you'd like. You see the characters from it in Book 1, so there is a connection. I didn't read it first, and I was fine.

You should definitely read the books WITHIN the Virgin River series in order. There's a lot of overlap with characters from the beginning books appearing in later books, so you won't know who everyone is if you don't read in order.

And as I understand it, the Thunder Point series is an offshoot of this one. The hero of book 1 is a character that makes a brief appearance in one of the Virgin River books. I haven't read it yet though.(less)

·  23,398 ratings  ·  1,811 reviews

Start your review of Virgin River
Pamela
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I flipping loved this book.

It's my first Robyn Carr book. I've read a lot of good things about her here on Goodreads and also on Amazon, and I ordered several of her books this spring, hoping to get some time to read them.

Recently widowed Melinda Monroe, a certified nurse midwife, decides that to move beyond her grief she must start her life again. She sells almost everything she owns and moves to Virgin River, a tiny town in the middle of the California forest. At first
Catherine
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: Ally72
*sigh* I feel like the grump lurking in the corner, but I did not like this book. Which is shocking! This book has an extremely high average and every GR friend I have to date has given it at least a 4 star grade. It must have something going for it to have so many fans, but I just can't see it. :\

This was supposed to be a modern book, but it felt oddly dated. The heroine Mel, talks about Starbucks and $300 highlights so I know it's modern, but it also had a weirdly old school vibe g
Shelly
Mar 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
First, I'm going to apologize in advance for my review. These are my thoughts, and I know I'm in the great minority of people who didn't like this book, but OMG I just can't stand it any freaking more! I'm going to warn you right now, if you love this series, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER - this will probably offend.

This is by far the worst book I've ever listened to, possibly ever. I had no idea it was going to be so terrible, it's gotten so many great reviews and I thought at the very le
Shawna
5+ stars – Contemporary Romance

There’s not much that hasn’t already been said about this sweet, delightful, feel-good contemporary romance and for very good reason, and now I’m finally glad that I get what all the fuss is about.

Virgin River is a heartwarming story about a young, grieving widow whose spirit is rejuvenated and soul revived by working as a nurse and midwife in a quaint little country town called Virgin River, with quirky, friendly, salt-of-the-earth people surrounded by/>Virgin
♥Rachel♥
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥Rachel♥ by: Brandie
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
4.5 Stars

Loved this! The rural setting of Virgin River: a secluded forest, simple life, and town folk that band together like a family was an absolute win for me. Mel got on my nerves a time or two, but I shouldn't really have been judgmental since she lost her husband only a year before. I completely LOVED and adored Jack. Oh my stars, every woman needs this man! Hunky, protective, just a total MAN!

I enjoyed the whole medical aspect of the story. Mel was a midwife/nurse practitioner and a
jenjn79
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: Romance Series Lists group
It took me a while to get into this book. I think I was about halfway through before I started to really get into the story. That's probably partially because just before that I'd been reading a Lora Leigh book (so completely different) and also because the vibe of Virgin River is rather different than your typical romance novel.

This book is about people and life, the vagaries of small-town living, growing and healing, and, of course, love. Like the town it's set in, the pace of the
Jonetta
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. The romance between Mel and Jack progressed realistically and the sense of community in the town was enviable. Carr does an admirable job in creating a completely different value system that works. The conflicts presented are also normal and the appropriate timeline was used for resolution without dragging the reader through the pain of inevitability.

I'm invested in this series and am on to the second book.
Eastofoz
Hokey Americana. Never seen so many pregnant women in such a small area.
Jeannie
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
What a pleasant surprise! I don't usually read romance novels but I heard this was going to be made into a mini series on Netflix so I wanted to see what it was all about. I couldn't put it down, I loved it!
K.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K. by: MelissaB
”Virgin River” by Robyn Carr -- 3.5*

Modern Day Contemporary
Jack and Melinda

This book has been reviewed multiple times, so I’ll just relate my personal impressions rather than providing much of a synopsis. Quickly, Melinda is an L.A. physician’s assistant/midwife practicing in a major hospital who loses her husband, the love of her life, in an unexpected murder when he chances upon a convenience store robbery in progress. She moves to a small town seeking solace, anonymity
Kiki
KarenH
I'm a big fan of audiobooks; unfortunately, I've almost blown through audible.com's generously-sized romance collection completely. Recently, a ton of Stephanie Lauren's books were released on audio. Not being too familiar with her work, I listened to Devil's Bride and decided I would embark down that long Cynster road, knowing I'd have enough listening material for the next 6 months. However, 2 books into the series I was already feeling a restless urge to move on. Virgin River by Robyn Carr ca ...more
Naksed
After her husband is murdered, a big city nurse removes herself to a podunk town lost in the Redwoods of California to continue her loveless, lifeless, empty existence away from well-meaning, prying eyes. Soon, she gets sucked in, just like this reader, into this unusual, quirky, wonderfully weird hideaway and its inhabitants including one sex-on-a-stick, delicious, muscly, tattooed, awesomeness personified ex-marine who runs the only bar in town.

It's like a Kristen Ashley story exce
Srividya
I first met Robyn Carr a few years back when I stumbled upon her Virgin River series. It was a time when our daughter was diagnosed as being autistic and, needless to say, it was a traumatic time for us. We had just gotten her epilepsy under control and were very happy on her achieving her early milestones at the normal or even advanced rate and just couldn’t wrap our heads around this diagnosis. Nevertheless, she needed our support and strength and we dove right in and haven’t looked back. I wo ...more
Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
I love this small town setting to bits and I'm going to continue reading the series for this alone The romance on the other hand while sweet, dragged for me, and all the conflicts-that-really-weren't didn't thrill either. Also the heroine never really choose the Jack. He was willing to bend over backwards no matter how far or for how long, and she never evolved to the point were she could openly accept and return his love. Yup, they end up together... but only out of circumstance; and cheesy let ...more
Pygmy
Oct 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A generic "strong" female with "heart-shaped lips" and a fabulous figure + generic whitebread cleft-chin He-Man gentleman (even when hooking up!) with a soft spot for babies + a po-dunk town where nothing happens == boring book!

These people have no personality. Where's the humor? If not that, where's the intellectual intelligence? Or if not that, where's the sarcasm, the quirky attitudes, or some kind of color?? Or even if the characters were supposed to be ridiculously nice and laid
Pam Nelson
5 Virgin River Stars

Melinda, recently widowed midwife needs to get out from the cloud of grief she is under. So when the opportunity comes along to move to a small town she takes her shot.

Jack a former U.S. Marine turned owner/co-owner of a bar/restaurant habitual playboy. Not ready to settle down. Take one look at Mel and he is sunk.

The book was so well written, I feel in love with this town these characters I don’t want to do anything but read!

This was a first for me by this aut
Alla
I really liked this first book in the Virgin River series.
It felt like watching a nice, old movie that takes place in an old, small mountain village/town, where everybody knows your name (kind of like my town :) )
Duchess Nicole
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Alexis
I've had this on my shelf to read for what seems like forever. The ratings are outstanding for every single book in this now eighteen plus book series, and now I understand why.

The story is very slow moving but I never got bored. Life in Virgin River is easygoing...a small town atmoshphere in which everyone knows everyone and they're all there for each other. When Mel moves to Virgin River in a spur of the moment decision in answer to an add placed for a nurse, she is under-impressed at first.
Anita
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, ah romance. I love a good romance and this one is very, very good. Most end up mired in angst, not a problem here. Others are victim of the martyr, not here, even though the heroine has a tragic story. I can't come up with a single cliché that this romance has. It has some deep issues, but not to deep. There are no times that I am tempted to skim read, no passages that repeat endlessly throughout the book. Just a really sweet love story.

Melinda Monroe a certified midwife/nur
Holly
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robyn-carr
Melinda Monroe is tired of the heartache, tired of the sympathy, and most of all, tired of living in a home where memories of her once happy future constantly assail her. All but dead inside with grief over the death of her husband, Mel discovers a job opportunity in the charming and idyllic town of Virgin River, up in the untouched splendor of Northern California. Although her sister pleads with her that running away to some mountain region backwater will not solve her problems, Mel packs up he ...more
Myrna
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Robyn Carr book! Great story of heartbreak and romance. The characters are believable and the plot compelling. I’m not a small town girl but I enjoyed the setting. I look forward to reading the next book.
Corrine
Full Disclosure:This book features one of my least favorite tropes, the still grieving widow(er) who is consumed with guilt at find new love. Of course, this did skew my reaction to this book.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy this book when it wasn't weighed down by Mel's grief and guilt. Honestly, Jack made this book for me, although half the time, I just felt sorry for him. But he's a great male protagonist: patient, protective, caring, and he has a past that rounds his character out.

Mel, on the other hand,
Kristen
4 Stars

These books are the perfect "getting into the holiday spirit" type of read. They have a quaint, almost Hallmark-movie type feel to them that leaves me feeling uplifted. That said, I don't think I'd have the patience to read them, as they're not as couple centered as I prefer in my romances. However, I've loved listening to them as I go about my day.
Chan
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So glad I didn’t give up on this author
description/

Writing: Robyn Carr is another author that is able to write and include all of the senses. I felt like if I visited Virgin River I would know the town like the back of my hand. The one issue about her writing is her word usage. Mel (MC) is from L.A. why is she using words like tiddly.

I’m not usually a big fan of 3rd person narration when there is more than 1 POV because I get cclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Beanbag Love
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good start to a series, if only for the location. I've actually visited that area of Northern California and I think Carr does a great job of creating the atmosphere for the reader.

When we begin the story, Melinda Monroe is on her way to Virgin River to take a year assignment as a nurse practitioner/midwife. She's desperately grieving her late husband, murdered in LA just nine months before. She's running away from the chaos of the urban ER and the pitying looks of h
Sally
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness this was cheap. It's like Twilight for adults with baby driven wish fulfillment fantasies.

I found the characters likeable and empathetic, unfortunately too much so. The plot was lame, the premise of why the protagonist stayed on in the town totally unbelievable, the dialogue simplistic and the whole book consistently told what was going on rather than showing us. All conflict was resolved within a few paragraphs (if not sentences); and I was accurately predicting the p
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔

Did I read the same book as everyone else? Because there are so many great reviews, I wonder if I read something else.

This was my first book by Robyn Carr and I should point out firstly that I didn't like the writing style. RC is a teller rather than a shower, and just the execution kept me from really engaging with the characters. My preference for reading is third person, past tense, which is what this book is, but somehow it didn't work for me. There were also some weird reference
Jonel
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo
Carr develops this novel with a flair for scenery. Virgin River comes to life in a big way. I thoroughly enjoyed how Carr allowed me to picture each and every aspect of the area and its people. Carr presents a well-rounded introduction to Virgin River as a whole. At the same time, she creates an emotionally fulfilling, wildly exciting novel that brings all the aspects of life forward. The story was full of plot twists that kept me from guessing what would happen next. There were definitely a few ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I mean, Mel comes to a place of only a few hundred people and finds someone like Jack! I know I should accept it because it is that type of story, but it annoyed me. Again, that's just me.
Anyone who likes reading contemporary romance in a really small town setting (view spoiler)A cute and well written romantic story with great and lovely characters. It is about moving on with your life after a tragedy. It left me depressed in the end. Don't worry, that's just me.
Anyone who likes reading contemporary romance in a really small town setting (view spoiler) may like this book.

• That Holiday Feeling (Virgin River, #7.5; Those Manning Men, #5)
  • More Than Words, Volume 6 (Virgin River, #10.1)
  • Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1)
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • Under Currents
  • Angel's Rest (Eternity Springs, #1)
  • The Inn at Eagle Point (Chesapeake Shores, #1)
  • Under Her Skin (Lone Star Sisters, #1)
  • Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing, #1)
  • When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek, #1)
  • Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5)
  • Getting Played (Getting Some, #2)
  • Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Barefoot Season (Blackberry Island #1)
  • Sugar Creek (Destiny, #2)
  • Only Mine (Fool's Gold #4)
Robyn Carr is a RITA® Award-winning, eleven-time #1 New York Times bestselling author of almost sixty novels, including the critically acclaimed Virgin River series. The fourth novel, THE BEST OF US, in her fan-favorite Sullivan's Crossing Series was released in Jan. 2019. Robyn's new women's fiction novel THE VIEW FROM ALAMEDA ISLAND, released in April 2019, deputed on four bestseller lists: The ...more

Virgin River (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2)
  • Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3)
  • A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)
  • Paradise Valley (Virgin River, #7)
  • Forbidden Falls (Virgin River, #8)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
  • Moonlight Road (Virgin River, #10)
  • Promise Canyon (Virgin River, #11)
“He reached out and lightly touched her hair. There’s no way, he thought. I’m sunk. And my heart hasn’t beat the same since she walked into town.” 36 likes
“I just wanted to make you happy,” he said. “Are you happy?”
“I’ve been happy a couple of times. What can I do so that you can join me?”
He laced his fingers through hers and holding her hands, stretched her arms up above her head, holding them there. “Baby, you don’t have to do anything but be present.”
26 likes