Start by marking “Teddy Bear of the Year” as Want to Read:
Teddy Bear of the Year

Teddy Bear of the Year

The teddy bears' picnic gets a modern twist in this warm and fuzzy picture book about a young teddy bear who learns that small acts of kindness can make a big difference.

Ollie is a regular bear with a regular job. He listens to his girl's stories about her days, he snuggles her to sleep and he is there waiting when she gets home from school. Just your typical teddy bear
Published January 21st 2020 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Teddy Bear of the Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teddy Bear of the Year

Start your review of Teddy Bear of the Year
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
** NOW AVAILABLE**

This is a darling little book about a teddy bear named Ollie who is always close to his little girl. He is there when she tells him the stories of what she has been up to all day, he is there when she comes home from school, the usual teddy bear activities.

This was an EARC and it was difficult to read because the shading in the copy sometimes made the words hard to read and the pictures sometimes preceded the corresponding words.

That said, I still loved this book. I didn't
La Coccinelle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
Teddy Bear of the Year is a cute story that runs with the idea of the teddy bears' picnic (likely inspired by the old song). Ollie is Amena's teddy bear. He's on duty pretty much all the time. One night, while Amena is asleep, a floating silver boat arrives outside the window. A grizzled old teddy named The Snug whisks Ollie away to a party in the woods. There, they celebrate their accomplishments as teddy bears, highlighting the important functions they perform for their children. After the ...more
Natalie
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a delightful story about a little bear who doesn't think he is or has done anything special when he hears the tales of other bears at an award ceremony. But when he receives an award and learns why he has received it, he realises that simple, everyday things we do that are comforting and are acts of kindness we may not even realise we do, are very important and deserving too.
Anthony
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Ollie loves his job of being a teddy bear. He listens, he snuggles, and never forgets the teddy care 101 ABC's for his girl, Amena. One night Ollie is whisked away to attend the Teddy Bear's picnic held by the local chapter of the Teddy Bear's Association. Ollie soon discovers there is more to teddy care than meets the eye.
Donna Maguire
Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 21st January 2020 - publication day!

I really liked the idea behind this story and it would be a great little book for any young child who has the same favourite teddy that they take everywhere. The layout was good it just lacked a little for me towards the ending. 3 stars from me
Megan Schmelzer
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ollie is a teddy-bear who loves his little girl, Amena. He is there for her always, and he never misses his chance for a cuddle with his favorite girl.

In Vikki VanSickle's new picture book, Teddy Bear of the Year, Ollie gets a huge surprise when a magical ship arrives for him just outside of Amena's bedroom. Inside the ship, there is another teddy bear. He introduces himself as Snuggles, aka The Snug.

The Snug tells Ollie that every year there is a Teddy Bears' Picnic, and it is his job to pick
Storywraps
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This sweet book is told through the eyes of an adorable little teddy bear named Ollie. He is a devoted little guy who loves his owner Amena dearly. He faithfully is there for her whenever she needs him and loves belonging to her alone.

One night as they are cuddling beside each other in bed a large ship arrives outside her bedroom window captained by an old seasoned teddy named Snuggles... The Snug for short. He invites Ollie abroad and together they sail off to a fairy-tale-like setting that is
WS_BOOKCLUB
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion. This will be available on January 21, 2020.

When I was young, my local library hosted a “teddy bear’s picnic.” Each child brought their own stuffed animal, and read books about bears while eating animal crackers. It was very cute. So, filled with nostalgia, I was happy to read an updated take on The Teddy Bear’s Picnic to my toddler.

In this book, Ollie the bear is invited to a teddy bear’s picnic. There are
Marlou (life_of_a_bookdragon)
This book was provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Nawhh this was so cute. Definitely a great picture book for every child.

Writing: The story was well written and the sentences flowed together nicely. The short sentences will make sure children can read along with their parents without to much difficulty.

Story: There was a lot of fun stuffed into 40 pages. A big teddy bear party, who doesn't want to be part of that?! And teddies who get prizes for their great deeds, such
Terrie Case
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute book about stuffed bears sneaking off one night for the yearly Teddy Bear picnic.

All of the Teddy Bears are celebrated for the cuddling and comfort they provide when their child is sick, lonely or just in need of a hug. The story is cute and will remind adults of company awards ceremonies. The illustrations (disclaimer: many of the illustrations did not download so my opinion is based upon only those that did) are pretty. The colors are muted which makes this a relaxing bedtime story.

Highly
Jill Jemmett
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
In this story, Ollie is Amena’s teddy bear. One night, he is invited to a teddy bear picnic by the Teddy Bear Association. Various awards were handed out to the teddy bears for accomplishments they had done throughout the year.

This was an adorable story. It’s so cute to imagine all the teddy bears of the world gathering to have a picnic together. The teddy bears also have the rule of ABCs: Always Be Cuddling.

This story made me smile throughout it. It is such a sweet story. I loved it!

Kasey Gilbert Poindexter
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ollie is a teddy bear that is whisked away to a Teddy Bear Picnic late one night. There he meets all the VIBs (Very Important Bears) and veteran teddy bear "The Snug." During the award ceremony, Ollie sees all the amazing accomplishments of his fellow teddy bears, and begins to feel like he may just be an ordinary bear.

This book is very cute and has a lot of humor that adults can appreciate. Will a child get the "Nine to Five" reference? Probably not, but their parents will.

Annalisa
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an adoreable little book. My grandaughter and I thoroughly enjoyed this story and when we finished reading it my grandaughter asked me to read it again and again. It seems my little grandaughter was very enchanted with the little bear in the story. We loved it.
Teri Griffis
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is an amazing children's book! If your child likes teddy bears they will love Teddy Bear of the Year. Cute, entertaining, easy to read.........Enjoy! ...more
Engel Dreizehn
ARC Copy...I thought it was cute and warm in regards to the wold building involving the teddys. Who wouldn't be curious about the secret lives of plush friends? The illustrations certainly do carry out the warm-dreamy feel. The simple message of simple kindness is also warm too!
Barbra
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A colourful look at how Teddy Bears celebrate their accomplishments. Ollie thinks he is just a regular bear but when he wins the award he realizes how much he matters.
Etienne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute but a bit empty. of course any child with a deep and hard love for Teddy bear might fall for it, personally it wasn't my kind of children book/story, but not a bad one, just not for me!
Steph
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable!
Christine D
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very adorable
If you have a favorite stuffed animal you treasure, this will hit you in the feels.
Rather.be.reading1
Nov 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book. I think it was a bit too "sophisticated" to be a children's book and I felt that I lost interest in it quickly. However, it did have cute illustrations.
Dylan Teut

• Going Up!
  • The Lobsters' Night Before Christmas
  • What's Up, Maloo?
  • Doctor Mouse
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • Bears Make the Best Writing Buddies
  • Hurry Home, Harriet: A Birthday Story
  • Bear in Love
  • A Little Courage
  • Death Train
  • The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3)
  • Firefly: Big Damn Hero (Firefly #1)
  • The Lost Plot (The Invisible Library, #4)
  • The Bone Clocks
  • Reverie
  • Nineteen
Everything I need to know in life I learned from children's literature. Growing up in Woodstock, Ontario I was a big library kid, burning through the spinner racks and entering every writing contest I was eligible for. My work ranges from contemporary middle grade fiction to magical, storytime-ready picture books.

I am currently living in Toronto where I work in children's publishing in addition