Start by marking “Lock Every Door” as Want to Read:
Lock Every Door

Lock Every Door

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  15,129 ratings  ·  3,200 reviews
No visitors. No nights spent away from the apartment. No disturbing the other residents, all of whom are rich or famous or both. These are the only rules for Jules Larsen's new job as an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, one of Manhattan's most high-profile and mysterious buildings. Recently heartbroken and just plain broke, Jules is taken in by the splendor of her surr ...more
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published July 2nd 2019 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Lock Every Door, please sign up.
Julia B According to Amazon, it will be released July 2nd, 2019.
Naomi's Bookshelf He intentionally wrote under Riley Sagar as he noticed female authors tend to do better with sales. After Finals girls was a hit, it was discovered…moreHe intentionally wrote under Riley Sagar as he noticed female authors tend to do better with sales. After Finals girls was a hit, it was discovered about his gender. I am curious to know what his name is and read some of his other books. (less)

·  15,129 ratings  ·  3,200 reviews

Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dutton
"It certainly doesn't feel cursed. Or haunted. Or any other menacing label you could put on an apartment building. It's comfortable, spacious and, other than the wallpaper, nicely decorated. It's easy to see why Nick and Greta choose to live here. I would certainly stay longer than three months if I could afford to. Which makes it all the stranger that Ingrid chose to leave."

Muahahahaha. Mr. "Sager" has done it again folks. I'm always wary picking up the forecasted blockbusters of the year, but
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Moral of the story: (view spoiler)

Look at me reading all three books from this author within a month...

At the beginning I thought this was going to be my favorite book out of the three but the ending twist made it my least favorite.

An apartment sitting job with a very generous salary seems to good to be true for our main character. Mysterious residents, creepy wallpaper and disappearances...

Personally I felt like the way the main character was piecing things togeth
j e w e l s
FIVE STARS IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!!
game-of-thrones-fontYou know what that means, don’t you?

Writer Riley Sager OWNS July. For the third year in a row, Sager is set to drop another stunning thriller in July. As a die-hard Sager fan, I’m here to tell you it may just be his best yet! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU. IN JULY.🎄

I don’t know how Riley Sager does it. Every book is better than his last! Lock Every Door is buttoned up tight and in ship shape, spic-n-span order for your thrilling pleasure!

As in Final Girls and The Last
Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

I would like to thank NetGalley and Ebury Press (Fiction) for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review!

***

me: *has the constant anxiety of unlocked doors*

this book: "Lock Every Door"

me: :') that's my type of book :')

***

My first experience with Riley Sager’s books and I’m already a fan. As I’ve already said, I have the weird Romanian fear of unlocked doors. Simply every single door that has direct contact
megs_bookrack
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
RILEY SAGER DOES IT AGAIN!!!

After losing her job and her live-in boyfriend all in one day, Jules is struggling to stay afloat. Crashing on her best friend's couch, she can't believe she has fallen so low so quickly.

She is determined to get back on her feet, whatever it takes, and just like that an opportunity falls in her lap. Well, not literally, she actually finds opportunity in the classifieds section, go figure: Apartment Sitter Wanted.

The Bartholomew is one of the most prestigious apartme
Holly  B
Is it over-the-top craziness?.... yep

Is it addictive and entertaining?... absolutely!

Did I feel like I was right next to Jules with my heart-pounding along with her?.... I was practically holding her hand!

Who is Jules, you might ask? She is the ever so curious protagonist who becomes an amateur sleuth when her stay at the ever so famous Bartholomew Apartment building begins to uncover its unsettling past. The buildings deep, dark secrets begin to surface, bubbling over. It's Gothic structu
Meredith
Jul 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Are you f*cking kidding me?!

Unpopular opinion below! I originally wrote a long and detailed review discussing all of my issues with this book. However, I don't want to ruin the experience for other readers who might enjoy this book, so I have cut it down to the main points below.

The Good: High level of tension and suspense.

The Bad: Everything else!

Overall: One big convoluted mess.

Believability: Nothing is believable. NOTHING.
The Protagonist: To put it kindly, she is not the brightest bulb. Ye
Barbie
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My thoughts in a nutshell
I had high hopes for this one, and it doesn't live up to my expectation. I'm not saying that it was a bad book, but it isn't a 5 stars read like his other book (The Last Time I Lied). I still like it.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
... an old apartment where strange things start to happen.
No visitors. Too strict rules. People have gone missing. It is a nightmare.
Jules Larsen's new job is in here. She will be an apartment sitt
Melanie

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The twelfth floor is special”

Lock Every Door is about a girl name Jules, who wakes up in a hospital after being hit by a car. She is twenty-five, recently single, and very much struggling with money. But then she gets an opportunity to apartment sit in a very rich and exclusive complex in Manhattan.

All of the floors in the apartment complex have four units, except for the twelfth floor, which only has two, and one of those units ha
Debra
Rules, Rules, Rules- YOU MUST OBEY THE RULES. They are simple rules really - do not disturb the other residents at the Bartholomew, no overnight visitors and you must spend every night in your apartment. With added questions thrown in about drinking, smoking, family, etc.

Reeling from a recent breakup, Jules has been sleeping on her best friend’s couch, when she sees the ad for an apartment sitter on Craigslist, she applies for the job. After answering some background questions, she is hired as a
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
OMG THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. WE LOVE THIS NEW SEASON OF AMERICAN HORROR STORY 👏🏻

_____

UPDATE : JULY 9th, 2019.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT OH MY GOD. OH MY LORD. OH MY DAMN.

H O L Y S H I T.

It’s 5 AM.

I have to be up in a couple hours for work. But I don’t care. This book took a 180 turn and it was so unexpected and I loved it.

Full review to come.
Need sleep.

American Horror sounds just about right with this. 😉

Good night.
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
Sometimes a dream come true can turn out to be your worst nightmare! 😱

This totally lived up to my expectations and the hype y'all! 🥰

I have been impatiently awaiting this book since I finished The Last Time I Lied (which I also loved!) last summer. Sager has become a summer staple for me and this book was without a doubt my most highly anticipated summer read. Thankfully, it did NOT disappoint. I devoured this book friends! I could not turn the pages fast enough. Sager always does such an amaz
Kaceey
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
Jules Larsen is down on her luck. She just lost her job and her boyfriend all in one day. Now, with no new jobs on the horizon, staying on her friends couch may be more permanent than she anticipated.

That is, until the opportunity of a lifetime falls into her lap! Stay at the Bartholomew apartment building in New York City. One of the most famous landmarks with a dark, mysterious history behind it. And…She’ll be paid twelve thousand dollars to apartment sit! Seriously! How could she say no!?

Ahhh
Felicia
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ho. Lee. Chit.

What a page-turner. I found myself awake until the sun came up, frantically turning the pages to get to the end because ...

I COULDN'T WAIT FOR IT TO BE OVER!!

I LOOOOOVED Final Girls. That may be because I have a special connection to it that I'm positive nobody cares about but either way, I thought it was superb.

I LIKED The Last Time I Lied.

I LOATHED everytime I had to pick up Lock Every Door.

Much like Sager's previous works, this is a slow burn, taking it's time leading you to a
Larry H
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

You know the old saying if it seems too good to be true, it probably is? Well, that's something that Jules Larsen should have thought of when she accepted an assignment as an apartment sitter at one of the oldest and most exclusive NYC apartment buildings, the Bartholomew.

Jules is between jobs and, because her relationship with her boyfriend just ended, between apartments. The Bartholomew was the setting of her favorite book from childhood, so the thought of living in those glamorous,
Katie B
Loved it! I had high hopes for this one because I have liked the author's other novels and I honestly think this is his best one yet. I literally had an out loud "ha" type moment when everything was revealed towards the end. It was just this bizarre combination of being simple but yet clever. I really enjoyed this one and I hope others have fun with it as well.

Jules Larsen needs money so she accepts a job as an apartment sitter at the high-profile Bartholomew building in NYC. The pay is amazing
JanB
Just when I’d given up hope on finding a fun summer thriller, along comes this book!

Jules is having a string of bad luck and finds herself without a home and job, little money in her bank account, and no family to lean on for support. She answers an ad for an apartment sitter at The Bartholomew, an exclusive luxurious apartment building in NYC. The pay to stay in this fancy apartment? $1K a week. She can’t believe her stroke of good luck when she is hired. Apparently Jules forgot the adage that
Susanne  Strong
3.25 Stars.

Apartment Sitting Gone Wrong. Very Very Wrong.

Imagine, being given the opportunity to apartment sit, AND be paid for it. $4k a month for 3 months. In Manhattan. You heard that right! That’s $12k for 3 months. Sounds like a dream right? Except there’s a catch. Of course there is. There are rules. No guests. No leaving the apartment overnight. No taking photos of the place OR of you and posting them online. Oh and of course, the Bartholomew has a history. A bad history. Still intrigu
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
I read my first Riley Sager book! I read my first Riley Sager book! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Jules Larsen is an apartment sitter at the Bartholomew, a big-deal property in Manhattan. Oh, and the Bartholomew is rather mysterious on top of it.

There are rules, though, and Jules is ok with them because she’s overwhelmed with the potential this job offers, as well as the beautiful building itself. The rules: nobody can visit. She has to spend every night there. She cannot “bother” any of the other residents.

Jules
Paromjit
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riley Sager writes a wonderfully atmospheric, well plotted, compulsive chiller of a thriller with overtones of horror. Jules Larsen's life is a desperate mess, she no longer has a job or a home, is in dire financial straits and heartbroken after the end of a relationship. So when she is offered the opportunity to become an apartment sitter at the exclusive and gothic Bartholomew, the home of the rich and famous in Manhattan, she grabs it. So there are strict rules, no visitors, no sharing on soc ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
3.5 stars I think. This was a pretty average thriller for the majority of the book, but the last little bit was REALLY good. Wasn't my favorite of Sager's thrillers but it definitely threw me for a loop!
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Riley Sager continues to dominate the thriller genre with each new book, and this one is certainly no exception!!! I am bubbling with excitement over this sinister and twisty read—he is a master of suspense!!!

I read Lock Every Door in a single day—a very RARE occurrence for me. Another incredible thriller that I promise you will be a best seller this summer. It should be on EVERY must-read summer thriller list, in my opinion--it is THAT good. And it is so unique—I can’t think of another thriller
KAS
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A Bizarre, Boring, Bust :(

If this was to have chilled and thrilled me, it failed.

I just did not connect with this “Hunh?” storyline, which seemed to veer off in strange directions. One dimensional characters only added to my disappointment.

I enjoyed my first read by this author, “ The Last Time I Lied,” so maybe my expectations were too high.

If you are a big fan of this author, you may very well love this one. There are mixed reviews ... more glowing than not.

2.5 stars rounded up as I did want
Dennis
Alright, Riley Sager you won me back in your good graces. Back in 2017, Mr. Sager jumped right onto the scene with his first thriller Final Girls blowing up the charts and becoming an international bestseller. I was sold after reading Final Girls and knew that Riley Sager was going to become a household name for thriller readers. Sadly, Sager's second book The Last Time I Lied fell flat for me, and left me thinking, "Will Riley Sager become a one-hit wonder?" Well ladies and gents, that question ...more
Gabby
Holy shit this book was intense and creepy. This is my third time reading a thriller from Riley Sager, and wow this book is great, it might be my new favorite? Idk I’ll have to think about it more because I absolutely LOVED The Last Time I Lied, I liked Final Girls but not as much as these other two.

This story follows this girl Jules who is desperate for a job when she stumbles upon this too good to be true opportunity to live in this glamorous apartment building in New York and they will pay h
Nilufer Ozmekik
Three lalalaa here comes unpopular review alarm, I can hear the ominous soundtrack in my head like Jaws’s approaching, nanana, disappointing, I got so excited, cleared my night to date with this book, but I didn’t like what I got at the end and my husband laughs at me when he is binge watching Stranger Things( at least one of us is happy) stars!!!

Oh boy, I usually love Riley Sager’s writing style. I enjoyed “ Final Girls” and literally devoured “Last time I lied” ( as soon as I finished I got m
Kendall
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY GOODNESS.... ok... I haven't finished a book this fast in I can't remember how long.

I devoured this read in a day and a half folks! The hype is REAL people.... there is something so addicting about Riley Sager's writing!

Lock Every Door was mind-glowingly good!! OH my gosh did I enjoy this!!

Talk about apartment sitting gone horribly WRONG. Yikes... who wouldn't want to stay in a knock out beautiful hotel for free and to get payed 12K for 3 months! Ummm.. sign me up shit haha...

I'm fangir
Marialyce
Are you looking to find a place to live and make a few extra dollars along the way? There just might be a beautiful spot waiting for you at the Bartholomew Apartments. Don't let its creepy exterior with its Gargoyles poised seeming to be watching you scare you away. Don't let the fact that there are strange rules as you apartment sit. Don't be turned off by the no visitor's rule, or the no nights spent away from the apartment., or even the no social media rule for it is just inconsequential when ...more
Paulette
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one sitting – I could not put it down. Solid 5 stars for me

I have wanted to read this book for so long, it took ages for it to be released here in Australia and I knew I was going to devour it in one sitting. What a ride it is brilliant.

I loved Final Girls, Thriller/Horror novel. His second book not so much, it was a little repetitive and some story lines didn’t go anywhere, I had high expectations going into this one and it did not disappoint. This book is more Adult Thrille
Carol (Bookaria)
An engaging thriller set in one of my favorite places, NYC.

Jules is broke and has recently left her boyfriend because she caught him cheating, her options are limited and she has little choice but to take a job as an apartment sitter in one of the most iconic buildings in NYC.

This was a page turner from page one, I love the description of the city and the building. Riley Sager is one of my favorite authors and he has a knack for writing compelling characters and plots that keep you interested in

• Untitled
  • Dear Wife
  • I Know Who You Are
  • Before She Knew Him
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Last Girl Lied To
  • Recursion
  • The Last House Guest
  • The Dark Corners of the Night (UNSUB, #3)
  • Temper
  • The Night Before
  • The Hunting Party
  • After the End
  • The Dilemma
Riley Sager is the award-winning pseudonym of a former journalist, editor and graphic designer who previously published mysteries under his real name.

Now a full-time author, Riley's first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, became a national and international bestseller and was called "the first great thriller of 2017" by Stephen King. Translation rights have been sold in more than two dozen countries.

Riley'
“Never take anything you haven’t earned, my father used to say. You always end up paying for it one way or another.” 4 likes
“Every so often, life offers you a reset button. When it does, you need to press it as hard as you can.” 2 likes