Start by marking “When She Thaws” as Want to Read:

When She Thaws

Sadie Powell is going on an adventure. After her beloved mother has a health scare, Sadie decides it’s finally time to see the world. So, Sadie crosses the Atlantic to work as an au pair for a year. Austria’s supposed to be nice: chocolate, beer, and scenic mountain ranges beckon. She’ll figure out teaching and living with an Austrian family along the way.

Inga Weber trus
Published April 29th 2019 (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about When She Thaws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When She Thaws

Start your review of When She Thaws
Linda
Wasn’t expecting much from this book but was pleasantly surprised when the story ended. Book was well-written and the plot was interesting; story of an ice-queen with wide age-gap, about 18 years, between the 2 MC (Inga and Sadie). Very little angst between Inga and Sadie but some teary moments - so if you are as sappy as I am, good to have some tissues with you. Secondary characters were just as wonderful and Helmut definitely has my vote :) Adding ‘Visiting Austria’ in my bucket list :))

Solid
Kexx
Didn't quite work for me- the starchness (is there such a word?) of the main character came across in the writing- as well as the cover. Seemed a bit too much like The Sound of Music for my liking - and I missed the songs! ...more
Lisa  R Smith
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bulk of the story is a rewrite of the Sound of Music, however there is only one incident of the family singing together.

A young women leaves America to work as an au pair in Austria. Hired for a year, she is working and living with a host and her three children. The women she is working for is recently separated from her husband (who left her for a younger women) and is a high powered business executive.

The story -
Austria, catholic single parent with wealth and standing, live-in nanny. The c
Guerunche
So this was an interesting listen. See if any of this sounds familiar. Sadie, a young woman in her mid 20s, travels to a wealthy single person's (in this case, woman's) home in Austria to be an au pair for her children. Inga, a very strict, icy, beautiful woman in her mid-40s, has her children on a very regimented schedule where they are home schooled and playtime is considered frivolous. The kids initially play pranks on their new au pair, but Sadie soon wins them - and eventually their mother ...more
Best Lesfic Reviews
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it

…or when The Sound of Music becomes a lesbian romance. Having seen The Sound of Music like 16.72 gazillion times, it was disconcerting, to say the least, to find it in this book.

Read the full review @ https://bestlesficreviews.blogspot.co...
F.
Jul 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
A loose retelling of the Sound of Music. It was so terrible I had to give up on it.
XR
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Skip
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this one. I was intrigued by the reviews stating the similarities to the Sound of Music - I've never seen it, but this may have been a good thing in the long run as it kept things fresh for me.

I enjoy a good age-gap romance and this was a quick read, dealing with underlying historical issues sensitively. The additional storyline with the son was dealt with well.

My only real gripe with the book was the lack of in-depth sex scenes - just when they were getting good they we
Natalie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm the first to admit that I have a favourite trope - the ice queen. Inga fits the bill as a loveable ice queen, but I did not feel the chemistry of her and Sadie, plus the story felt a little superficial to me.
A decent read recommended to those that can't get enough of those ice queens like me. :)
Jeh
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars. I read this because it was like 75 cents or something. The book was pleasantly surprising - great writing and I only found one error. It is like The Sound of Music loosely but overall it’s just a nice easy read. The plot felt a little flat as far as the level of angst because conflict seemed to be resolved quickly. The scenes between the two main characters were very fresh so that bumped up my rating. Also I don’t think the cover and title portray the contents of the book very well. ...more
Rae Storey
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian
I almost REALLY loved this book. But the colors were dull where the colors should have been punched in right up to the line. Marieke and Helmut, two of Inga's children, had more concrete personality than the main characters, Inga and Sadie. Inga was supposed to be an ice queen, but she was mostly just hurt and afraid to be vulnerable. I might call her a chilly queen. And Sadie, sweet sweet Sadie, lacks dynamic depth.

Ok, while that's all pretty negative, I still enjoyed the book. I enjoyed watchi
Katia M. Davis
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
I bought the paperback of this in June because I like ice queen and age gap stories. I also liked the cover, it reminded me a little bit of the pulp fiction lesfic covers back in the 50s and 60s like Ann Bannon's Beebo Brinker series. So I finally got around to reading it.

Unfortunately, this was almost a DNF for me. If I hadn't bought it and it had been KU, it would have been returned. It rubbed me the wrong way immediately. Sadie is an American who flies off to Austria to be an au pair for a y
Abiesha Abiola Smith
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fire & Ice

Sadie and Inga’s romance was a beautifully carved one. The incorporation of the interactions surrounding the children: Helmut, Marieke, and Lina, heightened the familial intimacy and warmth. Indeed, the positive portrayal of a woman - an ice queen filled with everything good, bad, and ugly - who was able to let the light in her guide her to someone suited to help her navigate the tumultuous traversing of life was enthralling from start to finish. Sadie’s fire and warmth was just enough
Zingari
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: les-be-honest
When I started reading this it felt like I've read it before. The beginning was a little off putting/predictable for me, but it got better as the story went on. I found it hard to concentrate and got distracted multiple times through out, but it was saved by the level of maturity in these characters. Lily Craig could have easily fallen into multiple tropes, and taken the easy way out with petty arguments, but that wasn't the case and it was a breath of fresh air.

Also, I do wish there was somethi
Jackie R
Wow just wow, this was such a good romance. Inga and Sadie had such good chemistry and I loved how fleshed out the kids felt despite them not being the focal point of the novel. It felt very balanced in a way that I really enjoyed. I especially loved how while there was conflict it never arose from some slight miscommunication that could have been easily resolved like in many other romances I've read. Overall this was a very good and incredibly sweet read. ...more
Mummy's Naughty Corner
I liked this. There were a few moments that can be improved but it was very enjoyable. I liked the gradual thaw of Inga was nice to watch. I felt Sadie and her mum were very accepting straight away and I think the story could have done with a bit more of a chase in the beginning. I liked the way we saw Inga change and the family come together more.
Mathias Eriksson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice story feelt a little rushed especially the ending
Ollie
Apr 22, 2020 marked it as dnf
DNF at 10%

I had to put this down because Inga's personality reminded me so much of my friend's mother. And I just couldn't continue after that...
Paulina
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it

I honestly enjoyed it more than I expected. I loved that it was a modern lesbian version of the sound of music and I'm completely in love with Inga. I wish there was more development before the main characters got together but still it was a funny light read. Perfect for holidays.
moxieBK
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
When She Thaws — Lily Craig (20 chapters) March 5-8, 2020

Note: This is female-on-female with sexy bits story. Move along if that makes you squeamish.

This story had an interesting premise, with an au pair going to Germany and falling in love with the host. The getting there could have been unique, but it wound up falling a little short.

Sadie, in her late 20’s, has reached a point in her life where after her mother's medical issue forces her to take a step back and analyze her life, she decides to
Angela
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it

When Sadie Powell travels to Austria to work as an au pair for a year, she finds she was not as prepared for this job as she thought. She's not ready for the uncooperative children, the strictness of their curriculum, nor their extremely attractive mother. Besides attractive, Inga Weber is also cold and aloof, even with her own children. But Sadie soon has her dropping her defenses and letting herself feel again.

This was an okay read. The beginning dragged a bit, but it was more interes
Gayle
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sadie Powell, an au pair is hired to care for and teach the children of Inge Weber, the frosty, staid CFO of a large bank, and separated mother of:

• Helmut Weber, her eldest son, and at first glance, a bit of a malcontent, and

• Marieke Weber, her closed-up, rebellious teen aged daughter, and...

• Lina Weber, six years old, the youngest daughter, apparently unaffected by her mother's divorce.

Sadie travels from Chicago to Vienna to take the position as an au pair for the children of Inga Weber. Frä
Alan Alexander
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

I must say, I am really beginning to like this author. I just realized I’ve actual read other books from her before! As for this one, it was fluff - as expected. There was a bit of comedy and it was an enjoyable read. My only real complaint is the main character basically had no flaws and just came into this family and fixed everyone and everything. She always said, did, and responded the perfect way for every situation. Overall I still enjoyed and recommend this book.
Jean
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just Plain Loved It

If I'm reading fiction, it's to be entertained. This book is full of plenty to entertain in fun and engaging ways. Since I've not traveled, the locale of Austria is pure escapism for me--and one of the main characters! The story is captivating, the writing is good, and I'll be smiling about Sadie and Inga for a long time. I'd welcome another book about those two.
If you like carefully choreographed sex scenes that aren't too explicit and generally just good writing, this is a g
Doug Elliott
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice example of the Ice queen falls for the au pair genre. Set in Austria, it is a bit reminiscent of the Sound of Music without the singing and with fewer children. Although there is some hand wringing over the age difference the angst within the relationship is low key. The primary challenges come from outside forces that ultimately bring the couple closer together. Overall a good read leading to HEA.
Carolyn
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ice Queen Meets Au Pair

Sadie travels to Austria to work for a year as an au pair and teacher to three children. Their mother is a CFO and an ice queen. There are a million challenges in this situation and Sadie can’t quite hide her growing feelings for Inga. Can she win the children and their mother’s hearts? A brilliant story by a talented author. Strongly recommend.
Goodreads customer
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding oneself

I enjoyed this book. Sadie and Inga were opposites. Sadie was a teacher and Inga was the sophisticated businesswoman. What started out as skeptical turned into a May-December romance. In the end you'll be happy for them too. Read about their triumphs and flaws. Enjoy their story. I sure did.
monica.b.czuba
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
When She Thaws

Next story of a a woman who likes to be in control, Her husband leaves her for a younger model and there three children. A teacher takes a job as a aupair for a year..
Now the story begins and what a story.
The author Lily Craig did an excellent job writing this will be checking out her other books
jeanette humphries
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story which I really enjoyed.

The characters were interesting to get to know and it was good to see how they all changed . This story also showed what effect social media can have on relationships between couples and family's. I will definitely read more stories by Lily Craig.
BookFiend17
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed When She Thaws by Lily Craig. It’s my first read by this author but if all of her books are this good it won’t be my last. Sadie is hired as a nanny by Ice Queen Inga and comes from America to Austria. This is an age gap, boss/employee, ice queen romance and I would highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book to my profile 3 218 May 01, 2019 01:03PM

• Going Up
  • Wanting Her
  • Next in Line for Love
  • The Arrangement (Another Love #1)
  • Avalanche of Love
  • A Lesson in Love (The Village Romance, #3)
  • Forget it
  • Hers to Keep (Irresistibly Bound #3)
  • Freeing Her (Irresistibly Bound Book 4)
  • Reservations of the Heart
  • The Goode Governor (Goode Girl, #1)
  • Living
  • Good Spin
  • The Matchmaker
  • A Taste Of Love (The Village Romance, #2)
  • A Shot at Love (The Village Romance, #1)
  • Coming Home