Start by marking “Sensitive” as Want to Read:
Sensitive

Sensitive

When thirteen-year-old Samantha moves to a new town, she decides to reinvent herself. She wants to be called SJ now. She’s going to be cool and mysterious. But above all, she’s going to pretend to be healthy.

SJ suffers from chronic eczema and allergies – she’s sick of doctors’ appointments and tests, sick of itchiness and pain, sick of looking different, feeling different.
Paperback, First, 229 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by University of Queensland Press

To ask other readers questions about Sensitive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensitive

Start your review of Sensitive
Carly Findlay
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent Sensitive by Allayne Webster’s publisher, UQP. It’s a book I wish Little Carly had. I devoured it in a day.

SJ wants to reinvent herself in a new town, changing her name. But she can’t change her skin.

Sensitive a young adult fiction book about a girl – SJ – with severe eczema and allergies. SJ has all the challenges of becoming a teenager, plus living with skin that she just wants to hide.

I found Sensitive very relatable to my own experience with ichthyosis. The overheating, itching,
Brooklyn Tayla
Review copy provided by UQP books in exchange for an honest review- all thoughts are my own.
This was honestly just such a heartfelt, raw and emotional read - I felt like I was actually living as the main character, Samantha, or SJ, as she's determined to reinvent herself as.
I totally didn't judge her for wanting to keep her eczema and allergies a secret - they're not fun, having to hide your own skin for fear of being shunned and laughed at for one's flaky and red skin- but it's hard sometimes,
Sonya Bates
I loved this book. AJ is such a likeable, relatable, brave soul. She wants to be normal, she wants to be able to do what all 13 year old girls do, without having to worry about what people will think of her, wondering if they’ll stare at her, think she’s weird. She is so much more than her illness, and her pain and embarrassment is very real. In Sensitive, Webster has done an amazing job at raising the difficult topic of the effects of chronic illness on both the physical and mental health of th ...more
Penny
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been loitering on my Mount TBR pile for a while. I confess it is one I was looking at and thinking it probably be one that I would skim through pretty quickly to get the general gist!

However, it definitely deserves more than a quick skim.

SJ has moved to a new town and she wants to reinvent herself. She suffers from chronic eczema and allergies and spends a lot of time in doctor's surgeries trying to find the magical cure.
The descriptions of SJ's itchiness and discomfort really ma
Pauline
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous read for readers particularly in years 6-9 but will also appeal to anyone who has had to live with a chronic condition or disability. Allayne Webster wrote this book from her own lived experience as a sufferer of chronic atopic eczema and the authenticity of her experience shines through this book. While the book outlines in great depth the lengths and treatments that SJ experiences it is a book that shows these conditions, while not curable, are manageable. Webster doesn’t sh ...more
Therese
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories can help us to be kinder. This book is for everyone!
Poppy Nwosu
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was raw, sassy and funny, and also eye opening and a little bit heartbreaking. I definitely recommend!!
Trisha
strong, authentic and moving.
Rennai
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is 13 yo SJ's story of coping with a chronic and debilitating form of eczema (and allergies). Her family has moved to a new town and she is hoping to start afresh and "hide" her eczema so she can have the normal sort of life she wishes for. The story includes a faithful friend, a love interest, an over bearing mother an understanding and patient father and a whole lot of minor character. The author does a very good job of conveying SJ's feelings; self loathing, desperation to fit in, self p ...more
Lexi // libraryoflexi
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review copy provided by UQP in exchange for an honest review.
I don’t read a lot of MG books (as I generally like a slightly older MC) but I really quite enjoyed Sensitive - and with Allayne being a local author how could one say no!?
The book starts with Samantha, SJ, moving to a new town where she has decided to reinvent herself to be the ‘cool chick’ that everyone wants to be friends with that has no skin condition at all.
I think my favourite aspect of the book was the growth of SJ and the port
Sandi Parsons
Favourite Quote: “New Me wants to say, So do you have verbal diarrhoea or are you just unbelievably rude? But the force is strong in Old Me. A lifetime of habit is hard to break. I hide behind my hair.”

Sensitive by Allayne L. Webster covers the highs and lows of being a teen different to the norm. A teen who doesn’t quite fit the mould of a popular or pretty girl.

After relocating to a South Australian country town, SJ wants to reinvent herself. She’s determined to make new friends without her ec
JakeMarurai
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
this book was pretty good. some of the writing was a bit too ~inspo~ but i loved to see rep for chronic illnesses, particularly in a book targeted for younger people.

the main character was nice enough, but she felt a bit hypocritical at some points (but i think that's sort of the point? like to show her growth across the story idk). loved to see her relationship with her parents and thought their dynamic was interesting

webster has an anuthor note where she talks about her own experienced with ec
Bec
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Had this book on my list to read since I saw a preview for it and I wasn’t disappointed. Allayne L. Webster perfectly described what it’s like trying to fit in as a 13 year old when you think everyone cares about how you look. Her description of SJ’s suffering almost made me want to cry (and weirdly start itching in sympathy). I’m looking forward to tracking down more of her books. I purchased this for our high school library and I can see it will become a popular read. ...more
Alice Kennedy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book gave me a glimpse of a world I’d never been in. From the eyes of Sam (also known as SJ), a thirteen year old girl, we as the readers see her life as she sees it; tests, treatments, ugliness, eczema.
Starting at a new school can be challenging for anyone, but for SJ it’s a different story. Her skin is covered in rashes, blisters and irritated patches.
She tries her hardest to cover it up, but will she be able to conceal her illness in front of new friend Livvy, and cute boy Sam?
Filled w
Anna Davidson
A beautiful story about self-acceptance and friendship. It’s hard to find great stories that bridge the gap between middle grade and young adult, and this fits the bill perfectly; a gorgeous story of teenage angst, but with appropriate content and language for primary school students. I particularly loved SJ’s strength and integrity as well as the beautiful, developing relationship between SJ and Sam. A heartwarming read.
Amanda Paget
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was nice. It delved into issues rarely spoken about in books. Living with a chronic illness. It's also set in my hometown which is nice and never happens. I think I am just old now and don't relate to 13 year olds.
Its a good story and if you are 13 you should read it.
Moral of the story is just be nice!
Amanda Witt
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A couple of train trips meant I've been able to do some decent reading.
This book is told from the point of view of a teen girl with eczema and the issues surrounding that, and moving to a new town.
Jess
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent read. Highly recommend, gives a true insight into diseases and the lives of people.
Charlotte
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real page turner. I finished it in 2 days!
Sacha McLaren
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very touching novel, I really enjoy books like this and was excited to read this one!
Alix
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so heartwarming about how you are beautiful just the way you are and no one can change that not even you
Pam Saunders
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-library
I can see some teenagers relating to this topic of trying to fit in and suffering from an illness which is all encompassing. Unfortunately this book was not for me, maybe I am too far from being 13.
Jess
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I've never read a fiction novel where I could relate so strongly to the health experiences of a protagonist (though the protagonist was significantly younger and therefore a lot more emotional than me, which is only to be expected of course).
Helen Stower

• Rogue (Hive #2)
  • Monuments
  • The Erratics
  • When the Ground Is Hard
Allayne grew up in a coastal fishing town in rural South Australia. During her high school days, Allayne became of obsessed with Judy Blume. The only thing she wanted for her thirteenth birthday was the novel, 'Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret.'

As a teenager, Allayne wrote her first epic novel inside three 96 page lined workbooks. Kids in her class wanted to know, WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? Allayne's