Start by marking “Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say” as Want to Read:
Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say

Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  12,926 ratings  ·  1,826 reviews
It’s a crazy idea: trying to name the phrases that make love and connection possible. But that’s just what Kelly Corrigan has set out to do here. In her New York Times bestselling memoirs, Corrigan distilled our core relationships to their essences, showcasing a warm, easy storytelling style.Now, in Tell Me More, she’s back with a deeply personal, unfailingly honest, and ...more
Audible Audio
Published January 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Tell Me More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Me More

·  12,926 ratings  ·  1,826 reviews

Start your review of Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say
Elyse  Walters
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly....
I cried. I laughed. I met you years ago - you wouldn’t remember- but I do.

While listening to you read your book- I felt drained of speech -( what else is there to say)..... other than you filled my heart profoundly with laughter, sadness, and love.
At times I hated that I loved your book as much as I did...
‘It hurt’.. but somehow I’m guessing you might say,
“I know”.

Thank you! Sincerely....thank you!
F#ck a review... I just want to say THANK YOU ...and probably could never say it
JanB
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
What a beautiful, poignant and moving book. Reading this book is like sitting down with a good friend and chatting over lunch. She’s the friend who can say what's in your heart but expresses it so much better. She conveys these 12 phrases through offering us glimpses into her own life. One minute she's telling you how she went ballistic over a toilet that wasn't flushed (by the way, if you ever find yourself at Kelly's house don't let the dog lick you ), and the next minute she's breaking your ...more
Esil
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I had never heard of Kelly Corrigan. But I was encouraged to read this book of personal essays when I saw GR friend JanB’s lovely review that described reading Tell Me More as sitting down to talk with a close friend. At the core of the each chapter is Corrigan’s grief over the recent loss of her father and a close friend. But throughout the book there are many anecdotes and lots of relatable self reflections about being a parent, a partner, a daughter, a sibling and a friend. In an understated ...more
Cheri
” Hold me now
It's hard for me to say I'm sorry
I just want you to know
Hold me now
I really want to tell you I'm sorry
I could never let you go

“After all that we've been through
I will make it up to you
I promise to
And after all that's been said and done
You're just the part of me I can't let go”

-- Hard to Say I’m Sorry,Chicago, Songwriters: David Foster / Peter Cetera

Twelve essays based on twelve phrases that we use to connect with others, to share our thoughts and feelings, to recognize the thoughts
Victoria
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reality always comes dressed in a point of view, try as we might to lay it bare. From the Author’s Note

This was my introduction to Kelly Corrigan, a writer deemed as the ‘poet laureate of the ordinary’ and I can attest to not only her extraordinary writing, but also her ability to tell a good story often moving me from laughter to tears and always landing me squarely in introspection. With genuine heart, humor and an unwavering honesty, she provides us glimpses into her life while she examines
Trish
The subtitle of this book is “Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I’m Learning to Say” and her chapter headings are those twelve phrases. Corrigan’s grandmother always reassured her that she was “good enough,” and would be able to withstand the vicissitudes of life because when she failed, she just got right back up again and did something else. That resilience is a quality more important than beauty or intellectual horsepower when it comes to success in life, though nobody believes that when ...more
Lucille_3
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, there just aren’t enough stars.
Andrea
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
All of Kelly Corrigan’s books have been winners.

Here is another one.

Read this book alone, just for the chapter “Onward.” What a beautiful tribute to an incredible friend. My heart shattered and then, piece by piece, was put back together. Both better and worse for the wear.

And the “No” chapter, because who doesn’t need reminding?

And of course, I fully intend to make my own “Things I Will Always Say Yes To” list, starting with Häagen-Dazs Deep Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, (naturally.) I
Cindy
Feb 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Other reviewers have described this book as being like a conversation with a friend. Yes!!! But it's that friend who dominates the conversations and jumps from topic to topic, none of which are interesting to you. At all. After reading almost half the book, I just couldn't waste any more time. And I am completely bewildered by all the 5-star reviews.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corrigan writes wisely with humor about meaningful subjects - her family, marriage, her illness, the death of family members and a friend. She is likable and relatable and writes well. So why didn't I connect more to these essays? Part of the problem was its self-help theme. I wish I could agree with the rave reviews of others, but this book was just OK for me and felt much longer than its 241 pages.
Miche
I tried to like it, but it just smacks of self absorbed middle aged white lady. Meh.
Elise Cripe
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
could not have loved this more
Riva Sciuto
I fell in love with Kelly Corrigan years ago, after I read 'The Middle Place' and it hit me right in the center of my heart. Her words have always spoken to me, particularly as I watched my own mother suffer from breast cancer at the same time I read Corrigan's captivating memoir. In 'Tell Me More,' her deeply empathetic heart flies right off the page. "Empathy was the tonic," she writes. This book demonstrates, yet again, Corrigan's refreshing candor, keen wit, and insightful reflections on ...more
Leigh Kramer
The author's chapter titled Yes is a list of things she will always say yes to. One of the items on my Yes list? Reading Kelly Corrigan's books.

I am now three for three with loving her books. I can't remember how I came across her memoir The Middle Place a few years ago but it was a revelation, as was its follow-up Glitter And Glue.

I didn't even need to know what Tell Me More was about before I requested an advance copy. I knew I'd love it and I was right.

Kelly Corrigan's writing never ceases
Stephanie
So so so so good. Heart achingly good and magical and deeply sad and profoundly beautiful.

“Tell me more” I’ve said tell me more and that must be hard to my preteen daughters no less than a dozen times this week. It works.

“I know” made me sob. “No” made me nod my head and yell “amen”. “Yes” made me laugh and “I was wrong” broke my heart and convicted me.

“I love you” I read out loud to my husband and had to pause several times due to both tears and sobs.

“Onward” absolutely gutted and
Megan
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading both The Middle Place and Glitter and Glue, years ago, in which
Kelly writes about family life and personal experiences, I couldn’t help but think of this book as like catching up with an old friend !! Her writing, as always, is phenomenal !! My favorite story was the telling of losing her father, Greenie, who was my most favorite subject in her latter two books !!

Highly recommend, if you’re a Corrigan fan !!

Stars !!!!
Michelle
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A funny, irreverent, and often poignant examination of motherhood, friendship, the grief of losing a parent, and the shock of crashing head first into the body's frailty. Highly recommended for fans of Anne Lamott.
Karen
Even though I still love Corrigan's writing style this one was heavy and sad. It felt self-indulgent...getting things off her conscience more than inspiration. She wrote this book at a difficult time in her life. Her Dad and good friend died prior to writing this book, so that may be why it was so heavy. It felt like she wanted to get the "bad" she had done out in the open.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I just love the way Kelly Corrigan writes. Her sentences have warmth, humor, truth and feeling. I felt much during this audiobook and even cried a few times. I think Kelly makes me cry during every book she has read to me. Kelly writes of her grief over her fathers death as well as her young friend Liz. Mothers especially will appreciate this book.
Maggie (mugandnook)
Listened to this while doing spring cleaning and was completely enraptured. It had me laughing. Hard. And crying. Hard. It’s so touching and so good.
Sue Fernandez
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing for an e-ARC of this title in exchange for my honest opinion. I've read everything by Kelly Corrigan, but this is my favorite. I kept thinking that maybe it came to me at a time I needed it, but really, I think this book will be one of the few I return to, and that I read passages out loud to family. I already know a few people I plan to give it to as a gift...highlighting passages. It touched me, it made me smile, it struck my heart. This is me ...more
Tamara
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wake up every day and try to be a slightly better person than the day before, despite the overwhelming evidence that life is hard and unfair, and - at times - so perplexingly rewarding. My favorite authors can ascribe words to that phenomenon, and Kelly Corrigan is one of them.

Recommend for fans of Tiny Beautiful Things.
Roger Royer
While I would not have normally read this autobiography I am so glad I did. I loved the heart felt way that the author places it all out there for us to do with as we will. I would not really have considered this a self help book until I realized that it had done more for me than most of the people in my life. I would like to take the time to thank the author for that.
Traci at The Stacks
This book is kind of great. Very conversational in tone. Much more centered on grief and healing than I thought. I wept at one point. It’s small in scope and very personal to the author but lots of this book is super relatable.
Mary
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. A moving, beautifully authentic meditation on grief, love, and living. Kelly has a way with words that is raw, honest, refreshing and just unparalleled.
Chris
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered together to get through this thing called life."

I've never read a Kelly Corrigan book before, despite seeing her in Vermont at Booktopia one year. Her books always struck me as ones with themes that I didn't want to address. Difficult themes; life, relationships, family. Death. Lots of death. And this book had all those and more. When I was at the library and I stood and read three pages and didn't want to stop, I knew this book was the right book for me at the
Marie Braz
I don’t know, maybe I’ve read too much in this genre recently and I’m done. Reading about other people’s lives is not as entertaining as it used to be, unless they are someone famous that I am curious about.
Jen Brodehl
5+ Stars- I absolutely LOVED this book!!! I laughed, I cried. Kelly Corrigan is so authentic and easy to relate to. I especially loved this on audible because she read it. Highly recommend!!!
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-bio, nf-other

This book is about things we say to people we love (including ourselves) that make things better.

This sentence says it all. A collection of essay that is both well written and heart-felt. In each chapter the author examines “the phrases that make love and connection possible”. Within this book I found some pieces of advice that resonated with me, “Life is a mystery to be lived. Live your mystery”, “Don’t Go to War with Reality”or the importance of asking questions and allowing scope for doubt.
Elizabeth A
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I listened to the audibook which was narrated by the author.

This is the third time I've dived into Kelly Corrigan's world, and while I've liked some of her books better than others, I am always impressed with her open, honest, and vulnerable voice.

This memoir is a collection of short essays that both illuminate and educate one on how to navigate this trip called life. As usual she is best when she dives deep, and there are some sections here that brought me to tears. The love of her

• I Miss You When I Blink: Essays
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • Harry's Trees
  • The River
  • Women in Sunlight
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved
  • The Last Romantics
  • City of Girls
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
Kelly Corrigan is a New York Times bestselling author whose writing has appeared in O Magazine, Glamour and Good Housekeeping. Her newspaper columns for the Bay Area News Group cover everyday matters from the power of an unequivocal apology to the contagious nature of weight gain, extramarital affairs and going green."
“That's how it works: someone important believes in us, loudly and with conviction and against all substantiation, and over time, we begin to believe, too - not in our shot at perfection, mind you, but in the good enough version of us that they have reflected.” 34 likes
“Learn to say no. And when you do, don’t complain and don’t explain. Every excuse you make is like an invitation to ask you again in a different way.” 29 likes