Start by marking “A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)” as Want to Read:
A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)

A Better Man

(Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #15)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  11,122 ratings  ·  1,668 reviews
The new Chief Inspector Gamache novel from the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Kingdom of the Blind.

The air is thick with excitement and anxiety as Sûreté du Québec agents gather in the conference room for the Monday morning meeting of the homicide department.

This will be Armand Gamache’s first day back since his demotion from head of the entire f
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published August 27th 2019 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about A Better Man, please sign up.
Malissa By book 15, I might lean towards yes. Especially as this book covers the dynamics between Jean Guy and Gamache which has been great and tumultuous.…moreBy book 15, I might lean towards yes. Especially as this book covers the dynamics between Jean Guy and Gamache which has been great and tumultuous. AND why Gamache is "returning" to his old role and how people around him feel about that. This series is as much about relationships as it is about the crime. You're jumping in the deep end but probably no matter what this will be a great book. Highly recommend starting from the beginning if you can. (less)
Lana Billy Williams makes appearances in the early books in the series, too. Dead Cold/A Fatal Grace, for example. There's a running joke about how Gamache…moreBilly Williams makes appearances in the early books in the series, too. Dead Cold/A Fatal Grace, for example. There's a running joke about how Gamache can never understand what he's saying because of his dialect/accent. "Norfolk and whey" and "Whale oil beef hooked." :)(less)

·  11,122 ratings  ·  1,668 reviews

Diane S ☔
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lor-2019
Everytime I start reading a Louise Penny novel I am confronted with a dilemma. Do I read it quickly because really I don't want to put it down, or do I read it slowly because I don't want it to end? How does she do it? This is the 15th I the Three Pines series and it keeps getting better and better. In this one, I my opinion, she outdid herself, combining some important issues of the day, with an outstanding, difficult to solve mystery. The issues of climate change, abuse and the devastation it ...more
Paromjit
Louise Penny is a treasure when it comes to the world of crime fiction, this is a stunning addition to this stellar series set in the village of Three Pines in Quebec, Canada, featuring the incomparable and wise Chief Inspector Gamache, having now been demoted by those more spineless, self serving and ambitious, wanting to besmirch the reputation of a man they perceive as having too much power and a threat. They never expected Gamache to accept the demotion to Head of Homicide from being Chief b ...more
JanB

In the midst of a threat from devastating Spring floods, Vivienne Godin, 25 and pregnant, is missing, her father is frantic, and her drunken, abusive husband, Carl Tracey, is suspected at having a hand in her disappearance. As the father of a daughter the same age, Gamache finds himself increasingly unable to stay objective as they search for the missing woman. Mistakes are made. A side plot included vicious social media attacks on Gamache for his past actions.

At the same time Clara
Matt
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
After getting my hands on the latest Louise Penny novel, I could not wait to get started. This explosive series, set in rural Quebec, gives not only the feel of a wonderful mystery but also hones in on all things Canadian. After serving his suspension, Armand Gamache is back in his position as Chief Inspector within the Sûreté du Québec, though there is a whispered power struggle within Homicide. While many are worried about how it will resolve itself, Gamache wants only to work and agrees to in ...more
Esil
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ew
Our date came a bit early this year, Armand, which makes it bitter sweet. Sweet because I got to catch up with you and our friends in Three Pines a little earlier in the summer than usual. Bitter because our time together is already over until next year.

I found this year’s dose of Louise Penny got off to a slow start. Armand Gamache is struggling, as usual, with his place in the Quebec police, and the mystery at the centre of A Better Man focuses on a seemingly straightforward missin
Marialyce
I have always been a Louise Penny enthusiastic reader and always awaited her new books with lots of anticipation and happiness. So I am totally bummed that I didn't like this book as much as I had hoped.

I know that different readers have contrasting reactions to stories and in that we see how people are different in what they read and feel. It makes reading a book so very interesting because we can view divergent opinions and ways of looking at things.

What I found in this story
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
There WILL be a new Inspector Gamache book! #15 coming out in August.
Carolyn
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5* stars. It is always a joy to read a new book by Louise Penny, and to be transported to her stellar creation, the fictional village of Three Pines, Quebec and its residents. I not only appreciate the atmospheric storytelling where I can visualize the place and people, but I want to live there. I feel that I already know the villagers. This is the 15th book set in Three Pines, and the author has maintained her usual high quality.

These books are police procedural/mysteries. With each new on
karen Moore
I was SO disappointed by this book. I have loved this series, and have been looking forward to "A Better Man" for months, and it was just such a let-down.

Her writing style seemed to change, and this book is filled with sentences. Broken up. Into multiple sentences. For no reason. So, so many sentence fragments. I do that occasionally, in texts, to emphasize a point, but doing it constantly throughout the book makes the technique lose all sense of emphasis and just gets really annoying.

Also (an
Linda
"He knew that few people would look at him and imagine the wreckage he'd crawled out of not all that long ago."

Louise Penny shifts the current in A Better Man with our beloved Armand Gamache not as sure-footed, not as dynamic, not as on top of his game as in previous novels. Indeed, it's a turnabout that was difficult for the readers to embrace in the beginning portion of this book. I felt that things were a bit unsteady for the community of Three Pines in which I consider myself a c
Jim
"With some surprise Gamache realized that he had become part of the refuse he'd spent his career salvaging. But that didn't mean he was useless. Just, maybe, repurposed"

"Things are strongest when they're broken"

Armand Gamache is back. He has been demoted from Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec and finds that he is once again Chief Inspector and head of homicide. A job that he will share with his former second-in-command, and son-in-law, Jean-Guy Beauvoir. There are some who thought he would not/>"Things
LJ
First Sentence: "Merde."

Inspector Armand Gamache may be bruised by the events of the past, but he is not beaten. He may no longer have the authority he once did, as evidenced by those in charge ignoring his recommendation to keep citizens safe from the rising river waters due to torrential rains, but he still has the respect of the team who once reported to him, and of his son-in-law and temporary superior, Jean-Guy Beauvoir. A fellow officer is concerned about the disappearance of h
Annette
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I adored Louise Penny's early books -- read them in print and listened in audiobook whilst driving. The hole in the ceiling where the rain gets in... occurred last year with Kingdom of the Blind. This year, the coup de grace, A Better Man.

My admiration for Louise Penny and her creation of Three Pines and its inhabitants -- around which I built a wonderful vacation last year, traveling a great distance to get to know the eastern townships (highly recommended!) -- is so high that I offer these su
✨Susan✨
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Armand Gamache is not in charge in this book but he is still the one everyone looks to for guidance and correct procedure. A murder investigation is hindered by a great flood, the likes of, only seen every 100 years. All the regular characters are represented but I wish that there were more interactions between the Three Pines crew that I have grown to love and enjoy so much. A good ending earned this addition the fourth star for me. Another buddy read with my great book pal Mary Beth.
Judy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louise Penny really generates some great crime fiction and I enjoyed this book. The continuing characters are once again solving a murder in Three Pines, Quebec, Canada. This time a young woman married to a known abusive husband, is killed. Jean-Guy Beauvoir is in charge of the investigation. Gamache is working with him, but was demoted from and is now in charge of Homicide. The usual Three Pines residents are still around, Ruth Zardo, the foul-mouthed poet; Claire, the artist; Reine-Marie, Gama ...more
Brenda
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me less than 24 hours to read this 448-page book. Nuff said.
Emma
She has done it again. With a vengeance. Take the same backwater in Québec, the same core of main characters, and write fifteen crime stories with that. You will probably end up with predictable plots. But Louise Penny doesn’t. Not ever. A Better Man is here to prove it. Once more.
...
VERDICT: Louise Penny is a mystery in herself. Once again, for this #15 i the series, she managed to deliver a unique book, with an original plot. And red herrings. And many twists and layers.

See my rev
Stacey A.  Prose and Palate
Her best one yet. Review to come.
Marci
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kari Ann Sweeney
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
picked up the latest book in the Inspector Gamache series from the library on pub day last week. (Not so humble brag). Every time I start a new Louise Penny book my inner dialogue says, "Slow down, savor it! You'll have to wait a year for the next one." This time I succeed better than in the past and spread it out over a couple of days.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I adore this series. Yes- the series starts a bit slow. But in my opinion it is worth the reading investment. Over 15 books, Three Pines and
Stacie  Haden
Satisfying. I am always impressed by Louise Penny's emotional intelligence, and furthermore, getting it on the page. There is depth in this series; depth of thought, depth of character.

I recommend to all, but start with the first one.
Carmen
Aug 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Roman Clodia
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A build-up of trouble that had broken its banks, thought Reine-Marie. And the young woman was taken at the flood.

After a slightly disappointing previous entry in Penny's series, this is much better but still perhaps not up to her best - it's hard to keep characters in play and developing over so many books and here the Three Pines stalwarts provide some quirk but are effectively side-lined much of the time which is a shame.

At the centre of the book is case of a missing adult daughter which brings t
Melissa
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Penny is the most exquisite writer. Her turns of phrase are simply perfection, and her plots never fail to keep me thoroughly engaged and captivated. This is the 15th book in this series, and I'm not tired of these characters, in fact I have grown more and more fond of them over the years. They feel like members of my family at this point.
These characters are so real. They make big mistakes, but forgiveness is big as well.
I am so sad I have to wait for the next book in this series, but I will
Kat Dietrich

A Better Man by Louise Penny is the 15th in the Detective Armand Gamache/Three Pines series.

First, let me thank Edelweiss, the publisher Minotaur Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Series Background:    (Warning – May contain spoilers from previous books)
Armand Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie moved to the small village of Three Pines a few years ago, where they have found peace from their daily strugBackground:   />Series/>First,/>A
Moonkiszt
WELLLL. . . .it was Louise Penny, and Gamache and the gang. Old Home Week! Like a reunion. Loved it. . . but, as you do after any reunion, you take stock of the experience. . . .

Whines & HowComes
?Why did Clara need to get beat up so badly in this one?
?What's up with Myrna and that guy?
?How come we didn't get to hang with Olivier and Gabri more?
?Is Ruth ok? I kept thinking she was going to die. . . .her or Rosa. That can't ever happen. (Just so you know - can't.ever.h
Lou
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Better Man is the fifteenth book in the exquisite and highly underrated Inspector Armand Gamache series set in the village of Three Pines in Quebec, Canada. What is special about Penny's books is that she is never afraid to explore moral dilemmas, deeper topics and give social commentary, and this instalment is no exception. It's character-driven rather than plot-driven and the cast are varied with three-dimensionality and superbly developed personalities with no one person being all good or a ...more
Julie  Durnell
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another excellent Armand book! This cast of characters are so multi-layered and well drawn-each book gives a little more insight to their lives. The series gets better with each new release, no mean feat in the book world today. I tried to read this one slowly but gobbled it up over the holiday weekend!
Crime, Mysteries ...: Latest Louise Penny 4 27 Sep 29, 2019 06:31PM
Goodreads Librari...: page total correction 4 27 Sep 02, 2019 12:54PM
McHenry Public Li...: Mystery Book Discussion - Louise Penny Signing 1 21 Jun 07, 2019 09:18AM
Anticipation 2 22 Mar 30, 2019 04:21PM
LOUISE PENNY, a former CBC radio journalist, is the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling author of fourteen Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has been awarded the John Creasey Dagger, Nero, Macavity and Barry Awards, as well as two each of the Arthur Ellis and Dilys Awards. Additionally, Penny has won six Agatha Awards and five Anthony Awards, and has been a finalist for an Ed ...more

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
“Consequences,” said Gamache. “We must always consider the consequences of our actions. Or inaction. It won’t necessarily change what we do, but we need to be aware of the effect.” 4 likes
“Chief Inspector Gamache’s says there are ‘four sentences that lead to wisdom: I don’t know. I need help. I’m sorry. I was wrong.” 4 likes