Start by marking “Rent a Boyfriend” as Want to Read:

Rent a Boyfriend

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before meets The Farewell in this incisive romantic comedy about a college student who hires a fake boyfriend to appease her traditional Taiwanese parents, to disastrous results, from the acclaimed author of American Panda.

Chloe Wang is nervous to introduce her parents to her boyfriend, because the truth is, she hasn’t met him yet either. She hir
Published November 10th 2020 by Simon Pulse

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 10, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of RENT A BOYFRIEND by Gloria Chao!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 50 copies available, 2689 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 13 - Nov 27, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Rent a Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rent a Boyfriend

Start your review of Rent a Boyfriend
    Gloria Chao
    Feb 18, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Dearest Reader,

Rent a Boyfriend is inspired by a real-life practice in some Asian countries where women hire fake boyfriends to bring home, commonly at Lunar New Year, to alleviate the pressure from family to find a husband. For this novel, I adapted this practice into a fictional diaspora version, with all details—including the company Rent for Your ’Rents—created to better fit the American setting.

This book has:
    • Fake dating
    • Dual POV
    • College-age protagonists
    • Taiwanese-American characters
    • H
    Kimberly (Deity of Books)
    Actual Rating: 3.5

Chloe Wang or Jing Jing is a college freshman majoring in economics. She has pressure from her parents to marry Hong Bo, a wealthy asshole. Does Chloe like Hong Bo? Of course not. Well then, does Hong Bo like Chloe? NO. She decides to hire a fake boyfriend from Rent for Your ’Rents, a company that specializes in providing fake boyfriends, to try to stop her parents from forcing her to marry Hong Bo.

Drew, the other main character, is the fake boyfriend. He was disowned by his fa
    jenny✨
    11/10/2020: HAPPY PUB DAY, RENT A BOYFRIEND! 🥺🥺

Y'alllll I could totally see a rent-a-boyfriend service BOOMING on the subtle asian dating Facebook group. Someone get on that stat!

⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ 3.5 stars! (Or maybe mooncakes would be more appropriate!? 🥮🥮🥮✨)

Some of the lighthearted parts of this book were laugh-out-loud funny and SO relatable. The rest was... clichéd and saccharine as hell and waaaay too sappy for my tastes.

Some of the painful bits were moving and poignant and SO relatable. Th
    Mrinmayi
    Aug 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Ughhhh...I have to wait another month for this book!! I am soooo excited to pick this up!!
    So till then, I will just make memes!!
    As the blurb says..the MC's parents won't help him pursue his "Arts" dream career

Mrin checking to see if this site actually exists Just in case ...

How it feels trying to find the guy that your family would actually like

End result is...

*you're

Trust me if this RENT A BOYFRIEND service was real...it would be a hit!!

Update 1
    This book 'speaks' to my soul😂
    the MC seems relatab
    Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
    OMG THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE PLOT TO A MANGA

I NEEEEEEEEED IT

Seriously, dying for a copy of this because Gloria Chao is SO nice AND AMERICAN PANDA was the bomb dot com. So obviously I need to be all over this like green on pistachios.
    Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
    Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Seriously cute, seriously touching, and seriously good. This was such a refreshing read full of so many emotions. I truly enjoyed every single page from the background of the characters, to the ethnicity, to the heart warming slow burn romance, this was a read perfect to get away for a few hours, let go, and just be.

*ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*
    Emma
    Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This was my first Gloria Chao's book, but I'm sure it won't be the last!

Even though it has a trope at its core that we all have seen multiple times, it was not used in the same old way. Here fake dating is taken to a whole other level and Chloe actually hires Drew to pretend to be her fake boyfriend for the holidays, so that she can get her Chinese parents off her back and not marry Hongbo, a disgusting guy her parents want to set her up with.

The premise is obviously what drew me in, but in th
    ilsa➹
    Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
    *sigh*

you know when a book has such a promising blurb, and you pick it up, and it also has a promising beginning, so now you're pretty sure you're going to LOVE this story...and then you don't?

yeah, i know the feeling well.

the actual fake dating story line of this (which lasted until 30 percent in) was super cute and I was smiling like an idiot!! There was so much adorableness and "omg is this real or not? are we still pretending" and that's exactly the kind of yearning I am here for. Unfortuna
    booksneedcaffeinetoo
    Jan 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
    I SEE FAKE DATING AND I MUST BUY

(update: have you all SEEN that GORGEOUS COVER?!??)
    Hsinju
    rent a boyfriend book tour banner

The full schedule for the tour is here on Hear Our Voices Book Tours’ website. Check out my blog (post will be live at 10am Central Time, November 13th, 2020) for Taiwan travel recommendations and more of my thoughts on this book!

🥮🥮🥮

[EN]

Content warnings: sexism, misogyny, classism, fatphobia, arranged marriage, manipulation, disowning, homophobia, a few references to the HP series

“[...] I’m my own knight in shining armor” — Chloe

As a born-and-raised Taiwanese, I was incredibly excited when I fir
    Anniek
    This book in a nutshell:

- Girl needs a reason to decline a proposal from the most awful person ever
    - Hires professional as a fake boyfriend who should get her parents' approval
    - But... are there feelings, maybe?
    - Bonding over mooncakes at midnight
    - Baking cookies together at Christmas
    - Drama, struggles, but also Fluff

This book has such a perfect balance between being a fun romcom and dealing with deeper issues, like how the main character struggles in her relationship with her parents and in her
    Rent a Boyfriend is my third book by this author. It is a contemporary romantic comedy. But with a younger feel. It is not really YA (the narrators are 19 and 21). It focuses on the cultural aspects of being a Taiwanese American and dealing with Asian parents.

The narrators are 19 year old Chloe (1st person POV). And 21 year old Drew (1st person POV).

Chloe's family lives in Palo Alto, California. She goes to school in Chicago. The book's main focus is on the different holidays (Thanksgiving, Chri
    CeliaMcMahonReads CeliaMcMahonReads
    I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes.

Hello, yea, this is Celia, and I have something to say. This book hit all the sweet spots for me, and I now know to make congee and I'm going to eat it all the time.

That being said, thank you Edelweiss, and the publisher for the arc.

Chloe needs to get her traditional Taiwanese parents off her back so, for Thanksgiving break, she hires a boyfriend from Rent for your 'Rents as a stand-in so they'll back off trying to get her to mar
    The Clever Reader
    Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    *** Thank you Netgalley for approving me in exchange for an honest review!

This book was so adorable! Chloe's parents are pushing her to marry Hongbo, the most eligible bachelor, but for reasons Chloe has no idea. She despises Hongbo after he takes her on a date to a strip club. When her parents invite her home she panics and decides to hire a boyfriend to try to get her parents to understand how much she does not want to marry Hongbo.

Chloe "rents" a boyfriend to temporarily deter her parents in
    TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
    Nov 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: edelweiss
    this sounds like a k-drama plot

I'm in
    Stacee
    Nov 01, 2020 rated it liked it

I am a sucker for fake dating and I loved the idea of this one.

I really liked Chloe and Drew. They’re both smart, good people who are looking to make their place in the world. I enjoyed their instant easiness and the open communication they had. Chloe’s parents were hard to read at times. Even though I knew they meant well and loved her in their own way, some of their words and actions had me cringing.

Plot wise, it did get a bit repetitive. Scenes and even some conversations felt lik
    USOM
    Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    (Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Tw: homophobia

While reading Rent a Boyfriend I was entirely immersed. Not having notes for a book can go either way, but for me, I could not stop reading. In Rent a Boyfriend, Chao balances endearing and relatable characters with fake dating and a plot that will captivate you. What I particularly loved was how Chloe, and Drew, balance their identity with their own future. For Chloe,
    Aila
    This cover. That blurb. The Author’s Note. Everything about this book captivated me, so it was no wonder I jumped on the chance to read it! We have Chao’s trademark easygoing humor from the first person perspectives of Chloe and Drew, two Taiwanese-American young adults that find love through a convoluted situation. With a flair of dramatism reminiscent of Taiwanese dramas and the genuine, sweet romance of youth, RENT A BOYFRIEND turned out to be a delight.

[Drew] “My mission (should I choose
    Janani(ஜனனி)
    Mar 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
    i'm a simple girl. i see fake boyfriend. i click want to read.
    Mehsi
    AMAZING. FANTASTIC. LOVED IT. REview to come when I have time on my blog and when I can write one!
    Fafa's Book Corner
    Trigger Warning(s): Fatphobia, parent with cancer, and misogyny.

Disclaimer: I received an E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rep: Chloe and Drew are Taiwanese American Christians.

My Review: I really struggled with this novel.

The beginning was very awkward (given the whole situation), but intriguing. The point of view shifts were a bit stiff at first. Though I got used to them after awhile.

Chloe and Drew were well fleshed out characters and I couldn't help bu
    Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
    Jun 30, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-new
    *the fake dating klaxon sounds loudly in the distance*
    Shenwei
    Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    also posted on my blog

It just occurred to me that I never reviewed either American Panda or Our Wayward Fate, so this is my first time really gushing about Gloria’s books/writing here. American Panda captured my heart with its mix of humor and heart back in 2017 when I was lucky enough to read the ARC ahead of its early 2018 release. Gloria has a signature style that has appeared in each of her books, including Rent a Boyfriend. It’s an unapologetic celebration of and tribute to the language and
    Isabel (The Reader & The Chef)
    Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    *Thanks to MTMC Tours and the author for providing the review copy. All thoughts are my own*

"Game. On. All I had to do was convince my parents that Andrew was the love of my life and theirs. Piece of (moon)cake, right?"

I enjoyed reading Rent A Boyfriend, fake dating is one of my favorite bookish tropes so I has so happy to read it!! Chloe and Drew are the main characters of this story and after meeting in one of the most unconventional ways (Chloe hired Drew to be her boyfriend for Thanksgiv
    Ashleigh
    Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    *I received an e-arc from Netgalley and Simon Pulse in exchange for an honest review*

After reading and loving American Panda, I knew I wanted to read this one. I’m so glad I did, as it was so cute! It was the perfect blend of a rom com and a story that dealt with family struggles. Gloria just has this great writing style that makes it work.

Chloe’s traditional Taiwanese parents are pressuring her to marry Hongbo, who is quite wealthy and well known in their tight knit community. After a disastrou
    Vanessa
    She didn't notice. Or maybe she did and we were all playing our parts. Maybe Andrew was the most real out of all of us.

This was EXACTLY what I was craving - super sweet & mushy, comedic & charming, validating & full of love. Drew and Chloe are just so so precious with their inside jokes and their willingness to get sappy and honest with each other.

No romance-genre nonsense here with our MCs. They're both flawed, but kind, respectful, affectionate, and without a WHIFF of manufactured trash dr
    Lauren
    this ended on such an optimistic note!

edited review:

Chloe Wang, known to her family as Jing-Jing, has spent her whole life trying to please her parents and not disappoint them by losing face in their exceptionally prestigious, cutthroat community. She gets some reprieve when she’s away at school in Chicago, but coming home to California has become something to dread, especially with her parents pressuring her to accept the sleazy Hongbo’s proposal. At home, Jing-Jing is meek and obedient, and k
    Jen Ryland
    Super cute! It's a fauxmance plus a story about family expectations.

Chloe's parents have lots of ideas about how she should live her life and to a) keep them off her back and b) deter the awful guy they're trying to match her with, she uses a company to hire a fake boyfriend.

Enter Drew, who has a dossier on Chloe and a closet full of Ivy league sweatshirts designed to impress even the pickiest parents.

Of course these two fall for each other and have to navigate all their complicated family is
    Sowmya (bookishelflife)
    Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
    3.5

Chloe/Jing Jing gets caught up in a tangled web of lies when she hires a fake boyfriend to save herself from an unwanted alliance with a very awful person within their community, however sparks fly when Drew and Chloe realize they have more things in common than they ever realized. The drama that entails these events which is at times hilarious forms the crux of the story

As a pro #ownvoices reader and supporter I very much enjoyed this book, being raised in somewhat similar but less stringent
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• You Have a Match
    • Instant Karma
    • Love & Olives (Love & Gelato, #3)
    • Crownchasers (Crownchasers, #1)
    • A Cuban Girl's Guide to Tea and Tomorrow
    • The Code for Love and Heartbreak
    • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
    • Kisses and Croissants