Start by marking “Rent a Boyfriend” as Want to Read:
Rent a Boyfriend

Rent a Boyfriend

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before meets The Farewell in this incisive romantic comedy about a college student who hires a fake boyfriend to appease her traditional Taiwanese parents, to disastrous results, from the acclaimed author of American Panda.

Chloe Wang is nervous to introduce her parents to her boyfriend, because the truth is, she hasn’t met him yet either. She hir
Expected publication: November 10th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Rent a Boyfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rent a Boyfriend

Start your review of Rent a Boyfriend
Gloria Chao
Feb 18, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dearest Reader,

Rent a Boyfriend is inspired by a real-life practice in some Asian countries where women hire fake boyfriends to bring home, commonly at Lunar New Year, to alleviate the pressure from family to find a husband. For this novel, I adapted this practice into a fictional diaspora version, with all details—including the company Rent for Your ’Rents—created to better fit the American setting.

This book has:
• Fake dating
• Dual POV
• College-age protagonists
• Taiwanese-American characters
• H
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
Actual Rating: 3.5

Chloe Wang or Jing Jing is a college freshman majoring in economics. She has pressure from her parents to marry Hong Bo, a wealthy asshole. Does Chloe like Hong Bo? Of course not. Well then, does Hong Bo like Chloe? NO. She decides to hire a fake boyfriend from Rent for Your ’Rents, a company that specializes in providing fake boyfriends, to try to stop her parents from forcing her to marry Hong Bo.

Drew, the other main character, is the fake boyfriend. He was disowned by his fa
jenny✨
Y'alllll I could totally see a rent-a-boyfriend service BOOMING on the subtle asian dating Facebook group. Someone get on that stat!

⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ 3.5 stars! (Or maybe mooncakes would be more appropriate!? 🥮🥮🥮✨)

Some of the lighthearted parts of this book were laugh-out-loud funny and SO relatable. The rest was... clichéd and saccharine as hell and waaaay too sappy for my tastes.

Some of the painful bits were moving and poignant and SO relatable. The rest was... over-the-top and cringey and a smidge
Mrinmayi
Aug 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
Ughhhh...I have to wait another month for this book!! I am soooo excited to pick this up!!
So till then, I will just make memes!!
As the blurb says..the MC's parents won't help him pursue his "Arts" dream career

Mrin checking to see if this site actually exists Just in case ...

How it feels trying to find the guy that your family would actually like

End result is...

*you're

Trust me if this RENT A BOYFRIEND service was real...it would be a hit!!

Update 1
This book 'speaks' to my soul😂
the MC seems relatab
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
OMG THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE PLOT TO A MANGA

I NEEEEEEEEED IT
booksneedcaffeinetoo
Jan 22, 2020 marked it as to-read
I SEE FAKE DATING AND I MUST BUY

(update: have you all SEEN that GORGEOUS COVER?!??)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
RTC closer to release date.
ilsa➹
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
*sigh*

you know when a book has such a promising blurb, and you pick it up, and it also has a promising beginning, so now you're pretty sure you're going to LOVE this story...and then you don't?

yeah, i know the feeling well.

the actual fake dating story line of this (which lasted until 30 percent in) was super cute and I was smiling like an idiot!! There was so much adorableness and "omg is this real or not? are we still pretending" and that's exactly the kind of yearning I am here for. Unfortuna
Celia McMahon
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes.

Hello, yea, this is Celia, and I have something to say. This book hit all the sweet spots for me, and I now know to make congee and I'm going to eat it all the time.

That being said, thank you Edelweiss, and the publisher for the arc.

Chloe needs to get her traditional Taiwanese parents off her back so, for Thanksgiving break, she hires a boyfriend from Rent for your 'Rents as a stand-in so they'll back off trying to get her to mar
Anniek
This book in a nutshell:

- Girl needs a reason to decline a proposal from the most awful person ever
- Hires professional as a fake boyfriend who should get her parents' approval
- But... are there feelings, maybe?
- Bonding over mooncakes at midnight
- Baking cookies together at Christmas
- Drama, struggles, but also Fluff

This book has such a perfect balance between being a fun romcom and dealing with deeper issues, like how the main character struggles in her relationship with her parents and in her
The Clever Reader
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*** Thank you Netgalley for approving me in exchange for an honest review!

This book was so adorable! Chloe's parents are pushing her to marry Hongbo, the most eligible bachelor, but for reasons Chloe has no idea. She despises Hongbo after he takes her on a date to a strip club. When her parents invite her home she panics and decides to hire a boyfriend to try to get her parents to understand how much she does not want to marry Hongbo.

Chloe "rents" a boyfriend to temporarily deter her parents in
Rent a Boyfriend is my third book by this author. It is a contemporary romantic comedy. But with a younger feel. It is not really YA (the narrators are 19 and 21). It focuses on the cultural aspects of being a Taiwanese American and dealing with Asian parents.

The narrators are 19 year old Chloe (1st person POV). And 21 year old Drew (1st person POV).

Chloe's family lives in Palo Alto, California. She goes to school in Chicago. The book's main focus is on the different holidays (Thanksgiving, Chri
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Nov 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
this sounds like a k-drama plot

I'm in
Aila
This cover. That blurb. The Author’s Note. Everything about this book captivated me, so it was no wonder I jumped on the chance to read it! We have Chao’s trademark easygoing humor from the first person perspectives of Chloe and Drew, two Taiwanese-American young adults that find love through a convoluted situation. With a flair of dramatism reminiscent of Taiwanese dramas and the genuine, sweet romance of youth, RENT A BOYFRIEND turned out to be a delight.

[Drew] “My mission (should I choose
Janani(ஜனனி)
Mar 06, 2020 marked it as to-read
i'm a simple girl. i see fake boyfriend. i click want to read.
Vee_Bookish // YA Book Blogger
Jun 30, 2020 marked it as not-yet-released
*the fake dating klaxon sounds loudly in the distance*
Fafa's Book Corner
Trigger Warning(s): Fatphobia, parent with cancer, and misogyny.

Disclaimer: I received an E-ARC via the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Rep: Chloe and Drew are Taiwanese American Christians.

My Review: I really struggled with this novel.

The beginning was very awkward (given the whole situation), but intriguing. The point of view shifts were a bit stiff at first. Though I got used to them after awhile.

Chloe and Drew were well fleshed out characters and I couldn't help bu
USOM
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Tw: homophobia

While reading Rent a Boyfriend I was entirely immersed. Not having notes for a book can go either way, but for me, I could not stop reading. In Rent a Boyfriend, Chao balances endearing and relatable characters with fake dating and a plot that will captivate you. What I particularly loved was how Chloe, and Drew, balance their identity with their own future. For Chloe,
Vanessa
She didn't notice. Or maybe she did and we were all playing our parts. Maybe Andrew was the most real out of all of us.

This was EXACTLY what I was craving - super sweet & mushy, comedic & charming, validating & full of love. Drew and Chloe are just so so precious with their inside jokes and their willingness to get sappy and honest with each other.

No romance-genre nonsense here with our MCs. They're both flawed, but kind, respectful, affectionate, and without a WHIFF of manufactured trash dr
Ashleigh
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received an e-arc from Netgalley and Simon Pulse in exchange for an honest review*

After reading and loving American Panda, I knew I wanted to read this one. I’m so glad I did, as it was so cute! It was the perfect blend of a rom com and a story that dealt with family struggles. Gloria just has this great writing style that makes it work.

Chloe’s traditional Taiwanese parents are pressuring her to marry Hongbo, who is quite wealthy and well known in their tight knit community. After a disastrou
Faith
Sep 27, 2020 rated it liked it
First of all, thank you to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster for providing me with an ARC.

This book was such a quick fun read. I could not put it down, I managed to finish it in less than a day.

First of all, I loved learning more about Chinese culture and customs. The portrayal of familial relationships in this book simultaneously broke and touched my heart. As a child of immigrants myself, I found myself connecting with this book despite growing up in a different culture.

This book also talked sh
Gretal
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yarc
This was just really great. I loved the way it was structured, though I also would have loved to know more of their lives outside of what we were told. I also really appreciated the lack of jealousy. It would have been so easy for there to be a plot line involving that because of Drew's job, but it just never came up, which always makes a romance so much better.
Adi Rocks Socks
Sep 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
fake dating trope?
poc?

sign me the fuck up.
Susan
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rent A Boyfriend is so much fun! Chloe Wang is a University of Chicago Econ major who just can’t go home for Thanksgiving without telling her parents she cannot marry the man they’ve set their sights on. But how to get this through to her parents? She decides to rent a boyfriend for the weekend to put an end to this discussion once and for all. Enter Andrew, a 21 year old Chinese American artist who supports himself with this boyfriend gig. Andrew really goes by Drew, and throughout the story bo ...more
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) This story has such a unique premise and I loved it as I'm a major fan of "fake relationship" romance/fiction. Chao is amazing at writing YA at the higher end of the age range (college age protagonist) but still making it appropriate and accessible for even younger HS students. Highly recommend!
Stephanie Strohm
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The boyfriend may be fake (at first!) but the feels are all real. Absolutely a must-read for fans of the fake dating trope (like me!) or anyone who appreciates a love story that's not only about finding your person, but finding yourself. And, like all of Gloria's books, it had me alternately laughing out loud and crying into my tea. Pretty much perfection.
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I'm ready for this.
Tammie C.
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

If I'm being nitpicky, I'd say this was a 3.5 stars because the writing style isn't my favourite and it was a touch too cheesy at times, but I'm rounding up because I think this book has really great messages for the Asian-American community, in particular the Chinese- and Taiwanese-American communities.

This is a YA contemporary romance, about a young college student,
Jennifer [she/her]
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for a good fake dating story, check out RENT A BOYFRIEND by Gloria Chao!
Chloes parents are very proud of and controlling over their daughters “purity” and physical appearance, since they believe this is her best chance of marrying a rich man to take care of her. After turning down a proposal from Hongbo, the man her parents want her to marry— the man who she detests— Chloe turns to “Rent for Your Rents” to rent the perfect fake boyfriend, Drew, to convince her parents that Ho
Kelsey