Start by marking “A Murderous Affair (Lady Katherine Regency Mysteries Book 4)” as Want to Read:
A Murderous Affair (Lady Katherine Regency Mysteries Book 4)

A Murderous Affair

(Lady Katherine Regency Matchmaker #4)

Lady Katherine juggles Christmas festivities, a perplexing cold case and a wager with the annoying Captain Wayland that will prove once and for all which of them is the better detective. It’s the Christmas season in London, but the holiday festivities don’t deter Lady Katherine from investigating a death that happened months earlier. Since the victim was a maid, ...more
Audiobook
Published April 30th 2019 by Tantor Audio (first published March 21st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Murderous Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murderous Affair

Start your review of A Murderous Affair (Lady Katherine Regency Mysteries Book 4)
Mara
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars for this latest caper of Lady Katherine. This one involves what is basically a cold case--the murder of maid that happened 6 months earlier. Why is she investigating a murder that is 6 months old? Because Lady Lucy Brackley is doing research for another novel.

The gang's all present--Lady Katherine, Captain Wayland, Prudence Burwick (Lord Annandale's fiancee), Lyle Murphy (Katherine's friend and a Bow Street Runner), Lord Annandale, and Annandale's valet, McTavish, and of course Emma
Margaret
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lady Katherine is a non-traditional woman for her time. Her passion is solving murder mysteries, and only a few people know that's what she does. Most people believe she's a matchmaker. In this story, she makes a wager with an investigator that her father loathes, on who will solve the case of a young woman's death 6 months ago. It's a fun twist to the dangerous work of crime solving and makes for a great easy read.
Thomas
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Katherine arrives at Lord Annondale's home to discuss a murder that had happened six months prior. She's there at the invite of Lady Lucy Brackley, who is researching material for a new novel, She has asked Lady Katherine, Captain Dorian Wayland, Prudence Burwick (Lord Annondale's fiancee). Lyle Murphy (a Bow Street Runner), and Annondale's Valet, Mctavish together to see if they can solve the murder of a lowly maid. They had all worked together once before to solve a couple of other ...more
Kymm
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-challenge
I'm so sad that this was the 4th in a 4 book series and I'm now done with them. This book was as good as the other three. I love these books, they're great for those times when you want a good enjoyable read without a lot of heavy, in depth subject matter. I read them after reading a few heavy books because they're really great, they have fantastic characters and they are so entertaining. This one had to do with a murder of a maid. Lady Katherine the female detective and her cohorts her maid, ...more
Cinda Inman
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Katherine Irvine has been called to a meeting at Lord Annandale's home. Being the last to arrive due to Christmas activities with her family, she sees that Lord Annandale, his fiancee', Prudence Burwick (Katherine's best friend), Lady Lucy Brackley (sister of the Duke of Tenwick), Captain Dorian Wayland, Lyle Murphy, a Bow Street Runner detective and McTavish, Annandale's manservant are already seated.
Lady Lucy has her leather bound tome in her hand waiting to make notes for her next book.
Argum
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Katherine and the gang are intentionally looking at a murder on behalf of their author friend. The maid was killed 6 months ago and ignored due to a big storm, large fire, and her social class. Somehow this becomes a boys versus girls bet situation with Wayland, Annandale, and his valet McTavish against Katherine, Pru, and Harriet with Lyle busy at working supporting as a neutral. A touch of matchmaking thrown in accidentally. Curious how and when the Wayland and Katherine's father business ...more
Kimberley O'Malley
I love this series, and look forward to the next book. It's interesting to see the group working together to solve the mysteries at hand... I look forward to seeing if Wayland and Katherine will end up a couple...
Mari Schroer
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this cast of characters more with each book. A Murderous Affair does not disappoint. The Royal Society for Investigative Techniques is meeting on the feast of St. Stephens. Lady Lucy Brackley, former spy and current novelist, brought a cold case to the society for consideration. The crime in question is a murder of a servant that happened 6 months prior. Lady Katherine's pride and distain for Captain Wayland spark a rivalous contest to see who can solve the mystery first. This is a ...more
Wendy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth novel in the “Lady Katherine Regency Mystery” series, “A Murderous Affair” revolves around a contest of detective skills when Lady Katherine, her pug Emma, her friend Prudence (Pru) Burwick and maid Harriet begin investigating the murder of a maidservant killed in an alley during a rainstorm and a devastating fire at the Hound and Ale Pub. Pitted against Captain Dorian Wayland, Lord Annandale (Pru’s fiancée) and his valet McTavish, the winner gets to pick the loser’s costume, whose ...more
Nadine
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting case that I really liked!

Lady Katherine has another case. This time she has to solve the murder of a maid. Together with friend Pru and maid Harriet she investigates. A lot of the story is about the wager between Lady Katherine and Wayland on who is the better detective. To the point where Katherine has to be careful not to lose sight of the real goal here and that is not to win the wager but to solve the murder and with that get justice for the victim.

A well-written, quite
Karen
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Leighann's Books

To be honest, I like historical romance stories but not as much as present day ones. Book 4 in this series was enjoyable & I liked the competition between the men & the women! I can only hope that a romance between Katherine & Wayland will arise, as well as Harriet & McTavish!! I highly recommend any of Leighann's books, I've read all of hers except for a couple of the series. I would start those but I have thousands of books I haven't had a chance to read
Cindy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Regency books and mysteries in particular. I thought the author did a good job showing how an investigation would proceed without modern technologies (DNA, fingerprints).

Although I did give each in the series four stars, I must admit Kathreen was wearing on me by the end of the fourth book. She suspects everyone (even her closest friends and relatives) and at times, for being an astute detective, can't see her nose in front of her face. Of course, I don't know how many books are planned
Ivana
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my favorite Lady Katherine mystery ; as main characters from previous book just presented themselves ( or barely mentioned) in start of the book and in last chapter .. no “danger” so Pru can not club villain with blunt instrument... no interaction with Lyle (Bow street runner), or with old nemesis matchmaker ( matchmaking career of Lady Katherine -in all previous books - was in fact crucial “cover” And excuse to snoop around ) , no society “ton “ in a way to uncover valuable leads.. ...more
Elton N
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get on with it!

The books seem to drag out, but they are good. I gave four stars due to material within not the length. I wish whatever is going to happen with Wayland happens in next book. Honestly that’s why I keep reading this series. Katherine is getting on my nerves a little.
Nyssy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Lady Katherine has a tense to repeat herself throughout the whole book. As if the reader will forget that she’s in a wager and she doesn’t like so and so... you could skip pages and she’s still be talking about the same thing. All in all the story was a good one not as entertaining as the others. ...more
Lois
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyable

The setting, the era, the characters, the challenging etiquette are all satisfying in the midst of this puzzle, but I thoroughly enjoyed the two investigative teams besting each other for the win. The slight romantic character of this mystery is also fun to watch. I look forward to the next book in this series.
Bridget Lewis
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blackmailed for murder

Things are definitely not how they seem in this mystery Katherine may be a good detective but hopeless at her personal life! Maybe in the next mystery! A maid, a fire, stolen goods and a unfaithful couple have a lot more in common than you think! Mystery murder and mayhem!
Gail A Ostrove
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will she allow Wayland to be her partner

With Pru marrying Annandale and spending lots of time in Scotland who will help Katherine from being lonely. She is finally going to move out on her own.
Reina Brouwers
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cozy mystery

I love Katherine and her friends. The adventure of solving the mystery makes the story hard to stop reading. Pleanty of twist and turns throughout the story that will keep you thinking.
Phil Ellenberger
A good te

This story of the competition between many rival and associates that have been in the series of mysteries we have previously met The competition has the edge on the mystery. It is a fun journey.
Raswendy
Sorry to see the series end. I think this was one of the more clever mysteries of the series showing Lady Katherine's intelligence.

(listened to audio on scribd)
Amanda Weaver
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Another great entry in this mystery series. I enjoyed the further character development as well as the mystery.
Gabrielle David
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good bet

It’s the ladies versus the gentlemen in a race to solve a cold case murder. I am enjoying this series.
Debi Paglia
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Lady Katherine series. I love this main character. She is a strong young woman who has been raised to think and to be independent. She feels that a she has her life well in hand, but she is starting to think that things don’t always go as planned. If you like a good mystery with a little romance, then you should read this series. You’ll enjoy following along as Katherine rationally works through each clue and each piece of evidence to discover who the killer is.
Carol
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like social history and enjoy a clever mystery with a strong female protagonst and a touch of romance, you'll enjoy this fun read.
Mary Kirby
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

A good book to read on a cool fall evening. I enjoyed the plot, characters and the twists and turns to finding the killer.
Carol
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book very much! The mystery kept me guessing until the end and the competition between the characters was very entertaining. Hoping there will be more in this series!
Sarah F.
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I LOVE this series. So much so, that I read all 4 books in 2 weeks time, while being a single mom and working full time. I just started reading them on Kindle U limited, and I was ready to start the next book, when I discovered the next book wasn't out yet. I was so disappointed!! I knew I needed to find another book to start reading in the meantime, but it was very hard to find anything to get into, when I was so into this series. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!
Lucie Zeale
Well written but dull.

I am beginning to think Harriet is the heroine of this series, lady Katherine just seems to blunder implausibly around some 2 dimensional stock characters navel gazing until the murder is solved. I am beginning to think Wayland can do better.
Kristl Laux
Mar 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Mortal Blow (Lady Fan Mystery Book 5)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • A Fatal Journey (Rose Beckingham, #5)
  • Wedding Vows & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #10)
  • Murder at the Ladies Club (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #9)
  • Murder at the Boat Club (A Ginger Gold Mystery #9)
  • Obsidian Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #8)
  • Death by the Book (Poison Ink Mysteries #1)
  • A Jazzy Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #11)
  • Murder By Chocolate (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #12)
  • Death on the Tower (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery #2)
  • A Sudden Passing (A Rose Beckingham Murder Mystery Book 6)
  • Murder on Eaton Square (A Ginger Gold Mystery, #10)
  • The Case at Barton Manor (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates Book 1)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
  • Death at the Tavern (A Higgins & Hawke Mystery #1)
  • Murder in the Cards: A 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 4)
USA Today bestselling author, Leighann Dobbs, discovered her passion for writing after a twenty year career as a software engineer. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband Bruce, their trusty Chihuahua mix Mojo and beautiful rescue cat, Kitty.

Her book "Dead Wrong" won the "Best Mystery Romance" award at the 2014 Indie Romance Convention.

Her book "Ghostly Paws" was the 2015 Chanticleer Mystery

Lady Katherine Regency Matchmaker (4 books)
  • An Invitation to Murder
  • The Baffling Burglaries of Bath (Lady Katherine Regency Matchmaker #2)
  • Murder at the Ice Ball (Lady Katherine Regency Mysteries Book 3)