Start by marking “Dinosaurs!” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs!

Dinosaurs!

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A giant meteor blasts an enormous crater into Earth's surface, causing the end of what scientists call the Age of Dinosaurs. Gail Gibbons presents the most recent and up-to-date theories about the history of dinosaurs and dinosaur discoveries. She discusses the Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous periods and the non-bird dinosaurs that lived during each time.

Each dinosaur i
Published May 1st 2008 by Holiday House (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurs!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurs!

Victoria Ouellette
Dinosaurs! By Gail Gibbons is a nonfiction text that gives many details regarding dinosaurs directed at a younger audience. It is in a picture book format so it is more interesting to read than an encyclopedia and gets students interested in nonfiction text. Each page has one to two sentences giving facts about dinosaurs. The pages also feature needed definition and labels on the illustrations to help the reader better understand what she is trying to say. I would recommend this book for second ...more
Sara Stelmach
“Dinosaurs” by Gail Gibbons is a nonfiction picture book about Dinosaurs. Each page of this book has about one to two sentences about facts on dinosaurs. The book explains when dinosaurs lived when dinosaurs died, how they make fossils, how fossils are studied and how dinosaurs are grouped into types. The images are done in watercolor and are somewhat unrealistic. However, this is a great book when beginning a lesson on dinosaurs for younger children because it is done in an easy to understand b ...more
Catherine Page
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of preschool and early elementary children.
Gail Gibbons is a prolific author/illustrator whose titles usually provide a basic introduction to a topic for preschool/early elementary students and their parents. Dinosaurs! follows this pattern and can serve as a useful read-aloud for parents or starting place for assignments for early elementary students. This is helpful because some dinosaur books are difficult to read aloud to younger children.

Dinosaurs! explains when dinosaurs lived, how fossils occured, and how paleontologists study fos
Amy
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Dinosaurs” by Gail Gibbons is an informational text that is packed with information about dinosaurs. It included details about why the dinosaurs were on Earth and the different kinds. The dinosaurs died around 70 million years ago and over time became fossils under stones. With each picture of a dinosaur was a pronunciation on how to pronounce the name of that dinosaur. The text begins by explaining how the dinosaurs came to be and ends with how they became an extinct species.

The illustrations
Alyssa Frank
Dinosaurs by Gail Gibbons is an informational text that has a storyline plot while explaining different dinosaurs. With every different dinosaur there is the name of every dinosaur with how you pronounce it. The text explains how dinosaurs came about and how they became extinct.

This short picture book uses cartoon images and dull, unrealistic colors. The text in shown in the corners of the pages while the explanation of each dinosaur is followed with the dinosaurs name and a brief description. T
Amber McMinn
Dinosaurs talked about details of when they were on Earth and what the different kinds were called. All of the dinosaurs died around seventy million years ago and roamed the Earth's land for millions of years. Over time, they became fossils under the stone. Paleontologists dug up the fossils and carefully examined them to find out their names and features of them, while putting them back together. The scariest was called Tyrannosaurus Rex and it had teeth that were six inches long. It stood twen ...more
Deanna Vaughn
Dinosaurs! is a nonfiction book that gives information about types of dinosaurs. This book is easy to read for young children. It talks about how long ago dinosaurs roamed the Earth to what the dinosaurs ate. This book also categorizes the dinosaurs into plant and meat eaters. The book shows lots of pictures of the different types of dinosaurs. I think this is a great informational book for children interested or beginning to be interested in dinosaurs.
Teri-mae Delay
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdg-goodreads
This book gives a lot of interesting facts about dinosaurs. Like the fact that dinosaur actually means terrible lizard. The author also eliminates any fear young readers might have by saying "not all dinosaurs were terrible, some were peaceful." This book also provides descriptions and pronunciations for each dinosaur. The water color paintings were very realistic and fit the theme well. This book received a rating of five for how reader friendly and educational it is.
Hannah
This is an informational book about dinosaurs that provides a lot of interesting facts about dinosaurs and how they lived. The illustrations are very simple but visually appealing. I really enjoyed how each type of dinosaur had its pronunciations along side of it which would help children learn to sound out the word that they are reading.
Skylar Burris
A good overview of dinosaurs written on a basic enough level that my soon-to-be first grader could easily follow it. (Also, frankly, written on a basic enough level that I could read it aloud without stumbling all over my speech.)
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The Queen of non-fiction provides readers with a wealth of knowledge about dinosaurs. While the information is accurate and mildly interesting the illustrations were not detailed enough for young dinosaur lovers.
Cara
Good little book about dinosaurs to get kids interested. The facts were clear and concise. I would have given it another star if the pictures were better. It was like the illustrator couldn't decide between realistic and cartoon, so it was a blend of both.
The perfect introduction to dinosaurs for kids in Kindergarten and grade 1. Depending on interest, it might even work well for preschool students. Gail Gibbons presents information about dinosaurs in clear, simple language that's easy for young listeners to understand.
Jasmine Contreras
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dinosaurs! Is an informational book about Dinosaurs of course! It gave very important basic information about Dinosaurs, I think it is a good book for kids ages 4-6 just learning about dinosaurs. I even learned new things about dinosaurs I did not know.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 31414 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Another informative text from Gail Gibbons. Discusses different dinosaurs and their characteristics. Meteor is named as the cause of the disappearance of dinosaurs.
AGV K
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Two copies.
Cheryl
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Very accessible. My children really engaged with the pictures, and I liked being able to tell them the names of the dinosaurs they were looking at. A good introduction for toddlers.
Polly
This is in classic Gail Gibbons style. If the material strikes a chord, some kids will love it.
Chelsey Combs
This is a great book all about dinosaurs. Young children will love reading about dinosaurs. It's a great introduction to non-fiction literature.
Ruth
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written informational text about dinosaurs. Enough information was given, but not in an overwhelming way.
Amber W
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The mini me is obsessed with dinosaurs. I love how she could say the dinosaur names so easily.
Cheyenne
This book has great information and illustrations about dinosaurs. Gail Gibbons has great science information books.
Jun 12, 2017
Shelia Clinkscales
Apr 12, 2017
Elisha Karr
Jan 07, 2012
Bridget
Easy to learn in a simple way. If I am able to learn than my kids are able to learn.
Ciera
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Rabbit's Gift
  • Digging Up Dinosaurs
  • Bodies From the Ash: Life and Death in Ancient Pompeii (Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12 (Awards))
  • D Is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet
  • Tyrannosaurus Was a Beast: Dinosaur Poems
  • Can I Have a Stegosaurus, Mom?
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Counting Crocodiles
  • Storms
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • In the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • You Wouldn't Want To Sail On The Titanic!: One Voyage You'd Rather Not Make
  • Dinosaur Days
  • The Storm Book
  • The Top of the World: Climbing Mount Everest
  • Exploring the Titanic: How the Greatest Ship Ever Lost—Was Found
From gailgibbons.com: I was born in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1944. Even as a little child, I was always busy putting books together. Sometimes I would bind them with yarn to hold the pages together. I've always loved drawing and painting. I was also a very curious child. My parents tell me that I was always asking lots and lots of questions.

Later, I went on to the University of Illinois, where I stu
More about Gail Gibbons...