Start by marking “Jusqu'au bout de la nuit” as Want to Read:
Jusqu'au bout de la nuit

Jusqu'au bout de la nuit (Moonlight Bay #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  24,653 Ratings  ·  528 Reviews
There are no rules in the dark, no place to feel safe, no escape from the shadows. But to save the day, you must...Seize the Night.

At no time does Moonlight Bay look more beautiful than at night. Yet it is precisely then that the secluded little town reveals its menace. Now children are disappearing. From their homes. From the streets. And there's nothing their families ca
Published October 5th 2000 by Robert Laffont (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Jusqu'au bout de la nuit, please sign up.
Amy LaRusso I read it last night not knowing it was a sequel and it was a great read. I didn't feel like I was missing a back story, but I will read Fear Nothing…moreI read it last night not knowing it was a sequel and it was a great read. I didn't feel like I was missing a back story, but I will read Fear Nothing since I now know it is a sequel. (less)

Diane
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series! a decent storyline with good narrative and also good plot twists & turns (paperback!)
Wendy
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read "Seize the Night" before reading "Fear Nothing" simply because I picked it up at Target and didn't realize it was a sequel. I proceeded to read it in one day (staying up into the wee hours) and then spent the next day hunting down "Fear Nothing".

I loved everything about this book. The characters, the setting, the backstory, the dialogue...there was not one thing I would change. I remember sitting there re-reading the scene in the egg room over and over-it was unlike anything I had ever im
Fred
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read
Koontzland - October 2017 group read - completed

A great Dean Koontz book, but "Fear Nothing" (Moonlight Bay #1) in the series was a little easier to read.

Chris Snow's XP disability continues (Xeroderma Pigmentosum - skin cancer to bright lights) & experienced "Rhesus" monkey attacks. He lives with his dog Orson & Sasha Goodall (girlfriend). His friend Bobby Halloway is nearby.
ErinBeth
Not my favorite Dean Koontz book; I found myself getting annoyed with all the analyzing the main character does; it seems that every time anything happens, the narrator goes off into another long explanation which is supposed to be him guessing what is going on and philosophizing about what it all means, etc. This is ok at first but after awhile it gets to be way too much.

Also, the characters didn't seem real to me. I like the idea of having characters who do selfless acts for others, etc. But t
Matt Barker
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent follow-up to Fear Nothing. I liked both of these books very much, but this one was a bit scarier than the first. Definitely recommended!

Publisher's Summary

Moonlight Bay, California: a safe, secluded small town that is at its most picturesque in the gentle nighttimes that inspired its name. But now, somewhere in the night, children are disappearing.

When he sets out to find the missing five-year-old son of a former sweetheart, Christopher Snow believes that the lost children are still
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Seize the Night is full of mystery & wisdom, but I do prefer Fear Nothing.

Favorite Passages:

We are the most alive and the closest to the meaning of our existence when we are most vulnerable, when experience has humbled us and has cured the arrogance which, like a form of deafness, prevents us from hearing the lessons that this world teaches.

The claustrophobic darkness closed around me again, as soft as Death's hooded robe and with pockets almost as deep.

The side of a nose. The corner of a m
C.P. Cabaniss
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Fortune favors the bold. Of course, so does Death."

This followup to Fear Nothing continues Chris Snow's story as he and his friends confront the horrors of a changing world. It wasn't quite as good as its predecessor for me, but I did really enjoy it, and of course the writing is beautiful.

The best thing about this novel was that we got a lot more of Bobby and a lot more of Bobby and Chris. Bromances are my favorite and this one was great. There closeness comes through really well here, buil
Nicholas Beck
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz
This is the second installment of the Moonlight Bay series by Dean Koontz. A town on the central coast of California whose secrets may bring the end of the world. This novel is about a man named Christopher Snow who has XP. A condition in which he cannot be exposed to any kind of Ultra-violet light. Meaning throughout his entire life, he only goes out during the night hours and can know the night like someone who lives by day can never understand.

This story starts out with children being taken f
Holly
I seem to be either really hot or cold with Koontz books. Unfortunately this book was very hard for me to get into. Which is sad, because I loved the first Christopher Snow book, Fear Nothing when i read it several years ago.

Maybe I wasn't in the proper frame of mind when I read this, but there were several aspects to this book that annoyed me. Koontz seemed to have fallen into the Stephen King "let's describe every last detail down to the size of every blade of grass." trap. Plus, the surfer li
Diane Lynch
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. A continuation of Fear Nothing. Dean Koontz does explain everything that happened in Fear Nothing that is relevant to this story. Having read the first book these parts were obviously redundant. Surprises throughout the book. A real page turner. I am so bummed that I finished it.
Fred
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror

Chris & Bobby need to find Lilly Wing's (x-girlfriend) missing son - Jimmy(5). The kidnap trail leads to a "military"
J.S. Bailey
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting into this one (probably because I've been busy working on other things this past week), but once I got about halfway through, the pace really picked up. The ending sort of boggled my mind. But I suppose that should be expected. :)
Aaron
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Warning: Here there be spoilers)

Oh man, where do I start with this book? Maybe pure insanity would be a good place to start. Maybe the beginning of the insanity. Fear Nothing, the lead in to this book, was a slow starter to say the least. I got lost in the uninteresting meanderings of the author and his, all too detailed, descriptions. Nothing really made sense and there was no real build up of tension. It was about 100 pages in to Fear Nothing that the true story began and the real insanity st
Christopher Hivner
To be honest, this review is only of the first 78 pages because that's all the farther I could read. I really did not like the style Koontz wrote in for this one. The narration of the main character contained so many one-liners and jokey punctuations of his thoughts that it became annoying. I like humor mixed into the story but this was overwritten. It was like Koontz was working out material for his stand-up act.

A small child is kidnapped in the middle of the night and the main character, havin
Tara
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a very thought provoking, truly odd story
When I started reading this book I thought it was going to be one that I finished only because I never put down a book once I've started it. The first 100 pages or so were so full of monologue and rambling tangents that I had a hard time getting into the story, or even deciphering what the story was. But then it all started coming together. Very slowly the pace of the story picked up and the rambling tangents (most of them) began to make sense. Turns out they were mostly for character developmen ...more
Holly
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz
A great book! Christopher Snow and Dean Koontz rock!
Maciek
Seize The Night is the sequel to Fear Nothing. It was supposed to be a trilogy, but it's been 11 years since its publication and there's still no sign of the third novel on the horizon, despite Koontz nearing the completion of two other series he started in the meantime.

This is a real shame, because the concepts and the ideas he presents in both Moonight Bay novels are much better than both Odd Thomas and Koontz's Frankenstein. Bad writing and cliches aside, the complete series would be much mor
Antonija Ciglar
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We are the most alive and closest to the meaning of existence when we are most vulnerable, when experience has humbled us and has cured the arrogance which, like a form of deafness, prevents us from hearing the lessons that this world teaches.”
Stefanie
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally and more completely published at http://www0.epinions.com/review/Seize...

In Fear Nothing, Koontz introduced us to Christopher Snow, a 28 year old man who had been born with the bizarre and rare genetic disorder xeroderma pigmentosum (XP). Victims of XP are extremely sensitive to cancers of the skin and eyes, and even momentary exposure to light is cumulative, so eventually could prove fatal. Because of this Chris continually avoids the light of day, and leads the vampire’s life
Kirsty
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz is a five star writter, no doubt about that when it comes to his stories they are usually top notch and Sieze the night is no exception.

Sieze the night is the sequal to fear nothing, (which i have reviewed somewhere earlier on my blog) This book was even better than fear nothing, because the storyline was fabulous. There is not really a need to read fear nothing first unless you want to as Dean Koontz explains everything that happened in the first book when the reader needs to know p
Scott Taylor
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Koontz again thrilled me with his ability to set a scene and create a true sense of dread. His gift is in putting his characters in situations where they (and you as the reader) feel helpless in the midst of unsettling and spooky circumstances. In this case, the circumstances all revolve around occult happenings in and around Fort Wyvern, the abandoned military base that the main character, Christopher Snow, frequents.

Aside from that, the book is a solid mystery about the disappearance of sever
Jason Reeser
Sometimes Koontz is a genius. Other times, he comes close. On this book...not so much. He was really reaching here, going all over the place, as if he took a dozen separate ideas he'd once jotted down and mashed them together for a full novel. Now that means there are some great ideas in here, and some not so great. But none of it really fits together well. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that as he was writing this, his interests or focus switched tracks four or five times. It's too bad, and i ...more
Jayne Charles
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was an absolute turkey. I heard it was supposed to be the second of a trilogy - never fancied reading the third (if there ever was one) if this effort was anything to go by. Following on from Fear Nothing (which I thought was quite good) this follows Christopher Snow, XP sufferer and night-time wanderer, trying to solve the mystery of some missing children, along with his laid-back surfer-dude pal who talks and acts as though his batteries are running down. The story descended into such dre ...more
Charley Girl
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
Kimberly
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dean Koontz's writing. You must be willing to suspend your disbelief because he takes you where your imagination never went before, but like all his books, the premise of the craziness is grounded in science. It could happen! Yikes! I always learn something new to ponder. His characters are vivid, and the good guys are lovable; the bad guys are evil! He has a gift for writing clever and witty dialogue.
Al
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have had a Dean Koonz binge just lately. I don't know what it is but I devour them, bones and all.
Aric
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, in October I want to read books with some standing in the 'horror' or 'humor' genres. The upcoming Halloween holiday might have a hand in it.
"Seize the Night" is one of the more unnerving books I've read (or listened to). Keith Szarabajka does a truly wonderful job narrating. He had to overcome my mental typecasting of him as 'Mickey Kostmayer', the assistant to Edward Woodward's Robert McCall on the eighties television show "The Equalizer". Damn, I loved that show as a kid...
Th
Patrick Kiernan
Not as good as the first book in the trilogy hopefully Dean will finish this trilogy soon.
Thien Quy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thrilling and breath-taking book with a fast pace with the utmost mysterious story i have read so far. It made me want to trace back the "Fear nothing" of Koontz which is the prequel of this book. Agh...
Anthony Policastro
In Dean Koontz’s novel, Seize The Night – a Christopher Snow Adventure – Snow suffers from an inherited genetic disorder known as Xeroderma pigmentation, XP. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation, sunshine, incandescent and fluorescent light could cause skin and eye cancer. Thus, he is a nocturnal creature, and I thought that this was a fascinating premise for a character, which reminded me of the vampire craze and chronicles that have inundated literary circles, bookstores, book clubs, and movies. ...more
Koontzland - Dean...: Seize the Night (Group Read - October 2017) 33 30 Oct 28, 2017 05:15AM
What's the Name o...: Albino supernatural [s] 5 25 Oct 22, 2014 02:25PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Seize the Night (Group Read - January 2013) 44 100 Jan 27, 2013 07:51AM
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Implant

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz

Moonlight Bay (3 books)
  • Fear Nothing (Moonlight Bay, #1)
  • Ride the Storm (Moonlight Bay #3)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Fear of Flying
    $19.99 $1.99
  • A Virtuous Woman (Oprah's Book Club)
    $15.95 $1.99
“If we were always conscious of the fact that people precious to us are frighteningly mortal, hanging not even by a thread, but by a wisp of gossamer, perhaps we would be kinder to them and more grateful for the love and friendship they give to us.” 183 likes
“Her beauty is not just—or even primarily—physical. In her face, I see her wisdom, her compassion, her courage, her eternal glory. This other beauty, this spiritual beauty—which is the deepest truth of her—sustains me in times of fear and despair, as other truths might sustain a priest enduring martyrdom at the hands of a tyrant. I see nothing blasphemous in equating her grace with the mercy of God, for the one is a reflection of the other. The selfless love that we give to others to the point of being willing to sacrifice our lives for them, is all the proof I need that human beings are not mere animals of self-interest; we carry within us a divine spark, and if we chose to recognize it, our lives have dignity, meaning, hope. In her it is spark is bright, a light that heals rather than wounds me.” 86 likes