Start by marking “In the Palm” as Want to Read:
In the Palm

In the Palm

Stranded on a tropical island, Dr No-Name has no mobile phone, no wallet, no keys, no passport. No left hand, no shoes and no memory. What she does have is a blister pack of nicotine gums, two minibar-sized bottles of whisky (consumed), and what appears to be an endless supply of coconuts. She can’t possibly get into any worse trouble, can she?

Loosely based off Daniel
ebook
Published May 20th 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Palm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Palm

Start your review of In the Palm
Lex Kent
This was a good read. I have wanted to read something by Holst for a while. When I saw she had written a lesfic novella about being stranded on a deserted island, I knew chances were good I would enjoy this. I’m not sure what it is but I always enjoy reading books and watching movies about people surviving on an island. I’m glad this held up to my expectations and I was definitely entertained.

The story is about a woman who wakes up on an island in the middle of nowhere. She has no idea how she
Joc
I am drunk and about to chop my hand off.

This story gripped me from the first line. Written in the first person, a woman finds herself on what seems to be a deserted island. She doesn’t know who she is or how she got there. Her handbag is a collection of odd items with no clue to her identity. The penknife is at least useful.

This is the third novella I’ve read by Holst and while it is quite different from the first two and much darker, I really like her style. The whole concept of being stuck
Carrie
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Castaway with a companion and better ending.

You know it promises to be a good book when the first sentence is "I AM DRUNK and about to chop my hand off."

A woman has awoken on an island but has no memory of what happened or who she is.

Through her POV, we are treated to an endearingly sarcastic narration of survival on a desert island. I thoroughly loved being in her head as she experienced dehydration, fever, and suspected hallucinations. Despite her circumstances she always retained a sense of
Bethany
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful and completely unexpected little novella!

I loved how Holst created something absolutely different than anything else we've seen in lesfic. There's really nothing else I can think of to compare it to, and that's a great thing!

I really don't want to say too much and give away the fun, but basically, this one centers on a seemingly femme woman who finds herself stranded on a desert island. She knows she used to be a doctor, but everything else is gone and she's suffering from
Farah
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surviving On A Deserted Island

+ Try Not To Get Yourself Into Such Situation
- Too Late?
+ Leave The Strap-On, Take The Swiss Army
+ Don't Panic!
- A tiny dosage of freak out drama is acceptable as long as you don't chant "I am going to die."
+ Find Drinking Water
- Top Priority!
+ Find/Build Shelter
- I'm screwed, can't even draw a straight line using a ruler.
+ Build A Fire
- It's perfect if you have your ex's stuffs to feed the fire.
+ Create Rescue Signals
- If your bonfire failed to get anyone's
Gaby LezReviewBooks
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story got me in the palm of its hand from the start (yes, bad pun intended).

I've absolutely loved this book, it's got everything in one very well-written package: adventure, mystery, and romance. The story is a very loose retelling of Robinson Crusoe, starting with a punch. A woman is stranded in an isolated island with no recollection of who she is and how she got there and with the only certainty that, if she wants to survive, she needs to amputate one of her hands.

As the story develops,
Pam Holzner
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, mystery
I think this is more of a mystery than anything else. Our narrator starts the book by deciding to cut off her own hand to prevent the spread of infection. She eventually discovers Ren and the two of them develop a budding relationship in between the usual activities of survival, learning how Ren came to the island and eventually learning some of the narrator's story. There is some drama. The jungle is not always a safe place to live. I would not call this a traditional romance because it's more ...more
Alexis
Who doesn't like a book that makes you laugh out loud one moment and then burst into tears the next? I really wasn't counting on that last part happening but sure enough my eyeballs sprung a leak during several parts of the book.

I love characters who speak fluent sarcasm and snark as a second language. That's exactly what I got when first introduced to the woman whose POV this story is told from. Her thought process though sometimes bordering on despair are often hilarious and add much needed
Agirlcandream
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, arc
This was a quirky and entertaining read. Think Castaway with the added bonus of an internal monologue by Dr NoName. The opening scene is worth the price of this novella alone. The author captured my interest and held it for a good part of the read.

Things get a bit murky as the story progresses and new characters are introduced but the concept was a clever one and I enjoyed this escapist read.

ARC received with thanks from publisher via NetGalley for review.
lottie
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
actually can I have five more of these little feral bitches?
Luce
3.5 Stars

One of the best opening lines I've ever read - "I AM DRUNK and about to chop my hand off."

This is a novella about a woman who washes up on a tropical island shore. When she awakens she recognizes that her hand has symptoms of a necrotising infection and she knows she must chop her hand off if she is to survive. She has a pen knife and a couple of small hotel bottles of whiskey. She also cannot remember who she is and how she ended up on this tropical island. I can't really tell you too
Carolyn McBride
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was another story unlike anything I've read before, and when you've read as many as I have...that's refreshing. It was enthralling to watch the main character come to a kind of peace with her surroundings, and then...adapt. I don't want to give anything away, but I can say it felt full of surprises and twists for a novella.
You know how marketers will say "Come for the (whatever) and stay for the (whatever)"?

Start reading to find out about that crazy opening line.
Stay to find out what
Best Lesfic Reviews
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elna Holst is a truly talented writer. She draws you effortlessly into her stories which have perfect pacing and are fluidly written.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/201...
mary
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-to-read
Wow!! There’s absolutely no way my review can do this one justice, just pick it up and start reading. I promise you, it’s impossible to put down after the very first sentence.

And can we please just take a moment to appreciate that genius cover??? I was blown away by absolutely everything

Final rating 5*
Yna the Mood Reader
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featuring-doggos, arc
In The Palm
Elena Holst
Available starting today, May 20 via Kobo.

Series: No.
Genre: LGBTQ+ Adventure Romance
POV: First person.
Cliffhanger: No.

Content Warnings: Vivid description of amputation. Dead bodies.

In The Palm is my first Elena Holst read and I am very satisfied. This is a bit of a genre-bender and really got the wheels of my brain whirring.

"I am drunk and I am about to chop my hand off."
One sentence in and you know you're in for a good read. No-named character woke up
Mackenzie Krosecz
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fun, thrilling, and gripping from the first page! Holst knows how to get readers attention and keep it throughout the entirety of the book. The mystery unfolded naturally and vividly. It has a brilliant voice and made me laugh out loud multiple times, which I haven't done often. I really loved and enjoyed this book, and will absolutely be picking up another Holst book in the near future.
Dannica Zulestin
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting and vivid story. Our MC is stranded on a desert island with no memory of her past, and starts out the book immediately needing to cut her own hand off in order to save herself from gangrene. For a while things don't get much better for her--she's left to fend for herself on the island and things are pretty dire. Then a mysterious woman shows up and helps to nurse her back to health and generally survive.

I loved how dark the beginning of the book was, how vivid and painful the
F.
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natasha
arc provided by publisher through netgalley

dnf @ 23%

I think I'm not fan of stream of consciousness style prose. That aspect didn't work for me and made me not really find the story engaging.
Amanda Prado
3,5 stars. idk how i feel abt tarzan and jane-esque romances, even as lesbians.
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
While only a short book, In The Palm packs a lot into it. Upon waking up on what appears to be a deserted island, the narrator soon identifies necrotising fasciitis in her left hand - something that makes her believe she was a doctor before washing up here - and promptly downs the two mini vodkas she has and saws off her own hand with a penknife. It's a very brutal and quick start to this novella, and as it's only very short you're soon left wishing it was a lot longer. This was funny, enticing, ...more
Galadriel.
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, 2019
If you're not hooked from the first lines of this book... then your loss! Short and exciting, it makes you want to keep reading more first to know the character... then... for other spoilery reasons! :)

The plot? A woman is stranded in a deserted island with no recollection of who she is. The book starts like this: "I am drunk and about to chop my hand off." doesn't it sound fun?!

I got this book from Netgalley in an exchange for an honest review.
W
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-finished
I was immediately excited by the summary and ended up preordering this book. I'm always down for wildness survival romances and I really liked this one. The writing was engaging and enjoyable and I read most of this in one sitting. I liked the ending as well.
Andi
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wvdeli
This was totally strange, and I really liked it. No super-natural, just all-in-your-head, trapped-on-a-deserted-island-with-no-memory strange.

The female lead wakes up on a desert island in a nice suit with no supplies or ID and no memory of how she got there. Slowly but surely she starts to settle in and eventually meets a second strandee.

This really cannot be explained - especially without giving too much away - but I was hooked from the cutting-your-own-hand-off get go!!
Aj Smith
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very enjoyable novella that is very refreshing, without being shocking. This despite the fact that it opens with the line "I am drunk and about to chop my hand off." As readers we are plunged into the narrative, as ignorant as our unnamed survivor who has no idea what her name is or what series of events led to her being washed up on a tropical island. Through a combination of luck, some remaining memories and sheer bloody-mindedness she manages to survive her amputation, find some ...more
Heather Bennett
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Palm is fantastic and captured me from the beginning. This is the first time I have read this author and I must read more from this author. Loved it.
Alicia
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not long enough to be considered a novel, but it’s a very good short story/novella. I throughly enjoyed it.
Morgan
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesbian, no-plot, meh
This novella easily had the best and most intriguing opening chapter I've ever read. Honestly, the first handful of chapters had me riveted, unable to even think about putting my Kindle down. After the opening, I had no idea where this story was going but I was more than happy to take the crazy ride. Oddly enough, it all came to a crashing halt with the introduction of the other character on this tropical island, at which point all the usual lesfic tropes came into play. Dr. No Name was a strong ...more
Beth Younge
This was kind of all over the place. I've read another book by Elna Holst and really enjoyed it but this was just bad. It felt messy and like it needed to be edited again as I lost what was going on. There was so much promise in the beginning but this did not deliver at all.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kathryn
A different take of the Robinson Crusoe tale. A bit too many references to the "stump". It kind of left me feeling dirty and sweaty and not in the good way. A nice HEA, however.

• Back to September
  • Top of Her Game
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • The Road to Madison
  • One Walk in Winter
Often quirky, always queer, Elna Holst is an unapologetic genre bender who writes anything from lesbian lust and love stories to the odd existentialist horror piece. Find her on Instagram (@elnaholstwrites) or Goodreads (yes, you're right here).