Start by marking “Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)” as Want to Read:
Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)

Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center #6)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  906 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This new, special edition of the classic concluding volume of this defining series by the eminent physicist and Nebula Award-winning author contains a teaser chapter from Benford's new hardcover, "The Sunborn."
Published March 1st 2005 by Aspect (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sailing Bright Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sailing Bright Eternity

Martha Shanahan
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I confess. My guilty pleasure is good "hard" science fiction and this guy is the best. This book is the last of a series called "The Galactic Center Novels". I got hooked on this genre about 10 years ago and love it for the complete departure from the world as I experience it. The characters are well drawn and the story lines full of amazing events. There is a strong philosophical thread that runs through all of these books that asks many of the same questions any good literature asks. I really ...more
Bill
Aug 08, 2012 added it
In this sixth and last of the Galactic Center series, we have a title which I think is my favorite title for any novel I've ever read: "Sailing Bright Eternity" evokes such a beautiful and even transcendent image. Anyway, the entire series was superb for me and Benford is among my favorite hard science fiction authors.
Matt
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
A satisfying finish to a very solid series. Overall, this is definitely more of an idea-driven plot line than an event-driven one, but it is still good reading. You can definitely see Benford's influence in some newer sci-fi authors, such as Alastair Reynolds.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Science Fiction
Mike Franklin
Jan 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very disappointing. The first three books were good to very good but the last two, and the last particularly, deteriorated into confusion.
Michael Schulz
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good ending to the series. A little sad but ok.
Vincent Stoessel
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok

Finally finished the series!

The ending was rough and honestly I thought about quitting more than a few times.
I promise a more detailed review soon but just know, while there are some awesome parts of the series, I should have spent better time reading a better series.
Bogusław Muraszko
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Naprawdę dobra rzecz! Doskonale przemyślana, wielowątkowa opowieść o losach ludzkości. Uniwersum niemalże jak z Stargate Universe. Te przeklęte roboty... Widać w niej rękę naukowca, fizyka. Oj naprawdę polecam.
Patricia Seagrove
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very creative future world. REally interesting take on overpopulation and expressed belief that people will not come to terms with with it.
Skylar
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
Brentford clearly has a galaxy of awesome, incredible ideas. Unfortunately, he often struggles to bring them together in a cohesive plot, and this book is no exception. I'm glad I finished the series, but it was definitely a slog at times.
Linda
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
For a variety of reasons I didn't really enjoy this series. The 3rd through 5th books were my favorites but the overall story just didn't connect with me. Not that the books didn't involve some great ideas with some mind bending concepts but I was having a hard time suspending disbelief and that's something that usually I have a harder time with in fantasy than hard SF.

In this book the return of Walmsley had me groaning. The ultimate climax left me annoyed and grumpy that I'd invested so much ti
Timothy James
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I only completed this book because I wanted to know how the story ended. The series degenerated and this was the worst one. I would recommend reading Tides of Light as an enjoyable stand alone book and ignore the rest.
Tom Britz
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The final book in the Galactic center series. Hard SF.
Mr. Blaine
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Peaple who you care about . Must read.
Michael Laird
Stuart Naylor
Dec 16, 2011
Jose
Feb 21, 2015
  • Coalescent (Destiny's Children, #1)
  • Beyond The Fall Of Night
  • Infinity Beach
  • Legacy (The Way, #3)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Moonwar (The Grand Tour, #6; Moonbase Saga, #2)
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare wit
More about Gregory Benford...

Galactic Center (6 books)
  • In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1)
  • Across the Sea of Suns (Galactic Center, #2)
  • Great Sky River (Galactic Center, #3)
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
“Never trust in theories, m’lad, if they’re thought up by types who work in offices.” 0 likes