Start by marking “Toward the Distant Islands: New and Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Toward the Distant Islands: New and Selected Poems

Toward the Distant Islands: New and Selected Poems

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
“Carruth [is] one of the lasting literary signatures of our time.”—Library Journal (starred review)

“Carruth...contains multitudes.”—Booklist (starred review)

“Carruth is a people’s poet... a virtuoso of form.”—The Nation

This “portable Carruth” gathers new poems with the essential works from a major American poet. Included are lyrics, short narratives, comic, meditative, and
Published April 1st 2006 by Copper Canyon Press

To ask other readers questions about Toward the Distant Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toward the Distant Islands

Les
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Les by: dorks sent it to me, but who?
From The Clay Hill Anthology
Selected Haiku

Why speak of the use
of poetry? Poetry
is what uses us.

-------
From Scrambled Eggs & Whiskey

Ecstasy

For years it was in sex and I thought
this was the most of it
so brief
a moment
or two of transport out of oneself
or
in music which lasted longer and filled me
with the exquisite wrenching agony
of the blues
and it is equally
transitory and obscure as I sit in my broken
chair that cats have shredded
by the stove on a winter night with wind and snow
howling outside
Ken
Personal stuff, so you get to know Hayden quite well -- married to a woman a generation younger, lost his daughter to cancer, anti-war in every way, New England Yankee writer/poet. Some of the poem read too conversational. Liked it best when he turned his gaze away from the diary and out to nature. Best was one about loons -- difficult to capture in a poem. But he comes close. Very, in fact!
Zinta
Oct 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Over many years of reading poetry, I've come to trust that any poetry book published by Copper Canyon Press is going to be an adventure. This collection , hand-picked by Press founder, Sam Hill, is no exception. I'd read enough of Hayden Carruth's work that I expected to be impressed, and I was.

The poems are selected from 12 previous collections (oh, if all of us poets could boast of so many published books!) with an addition of new poems at finish to keep the appetite whetted for more yet to c
martha
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2008
I had no idea how many naturey poems Carruth had written. I liked his later stuff better.

RIP Hayden Carruth :(

shattered throat
mans womans
Ruth
Nov 05, 2007 marked it as to-read
Hope to find this one thru the library. I already own a previous collection and I'm afraid there will be too many duplicates in this one. That said, I love the work of HC, exploring the deep undercurrents of life and aging.
Phil
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this is a real treasurer to have for carrying around in a back pack or on the road. A wonderful choice of some of Carruth's best shorter works. A must have for Carruth fans.
Naomi
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Not always my cup of tea, but I have to admire his strength of style and amazing work.
Dan
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes poetry or would like to try reading poetry for the first time.
Most recent book of poetry from Hayden Carruth published in 2006. Hayden is wonderful to read.
Timothy
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I came to Carruth through Samuel Green (WA poet laureate). Wonderful, marvellous stuff. Beautiful connection to nature, the farming life and New England.
Peter
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
A very good introduction to his poetry
Mills College Library
Nov 16, 2009
Rani
Jul 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: poetry
Great Collection of the poems of Hayden Carruth over his lifetime. I have become a fan for sure.
Andrew
uena
Jun 07, 2015
Kristin L Fisher
Jun 07, 2015
Hayden Carruth (August 3, 1921 – September 29, 2008) was an American poet and literary critic. The novelist of the same name (1862-1932) was his grandfather. He taught at Syracuse University.

Hayden Carruth grew up in Woodbury, Connecticut, and was educated at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and at the University of Chicago. He lived in Johnson, Vermont for many years. Carruth taugh
More about Hayden Carruth