Start by marking “The Last Text” as Want to Read:
The Last Text

The Last Text

Happy Birthday, Daniel. I was told not to send you another text, but I never was any good at listening. I love and miss you. I always will.

When I lost my partner of eight years, I felt like my world was crashing down around me. In order to feel some relief from the overwhelming emptiness, I’ve found myself sending him texts every year on his birthday, even though I know he
Published May 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Last Text, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Text

☆ Todd
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Gah! Adorable story was A-FREAKING-DORABLE!

I'm so happy that I read this novella. I'd expected the grief angle to be a bit more overwhelming, but it really wasn't.

As soon as Jace replied to Merrick's birthday text to his deceased partner of 8 years, life got better, and kept on getting better.

[My Merrick...]

The humor in the story was spot on, without ever coming across as being corny or trying to hard. In a word, both the story and Jace were charming.

After wallowing in despair for 2 years, Mer
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is a book about a man dealing with the loss of his lover and partner. Merrick and Daniel were together for many years prior to Daniel's passing two years prior. Merrick texts a birthday message to Daniel's former number every year, until one year a man named Jace responds.

My biggest issue with this story is that we are told Merrick is grieving, but that grief is never shown. There are few glimpses of Daniel as a person or Merrick and Daniel's relationship. The emotions were all surface.

Ja
Nazanin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 42%
considering its subject matter, I thought it would be an emotional read but I couldn't feel anything!
Bev
Well, wasn't this just a gem of a read! Loved every single word I read, teared up a few times, snorted with laughter a few times too and had ALL the feels.

This is how you write a novella, it was bloody perfect. Not once did it feel rushed and given the subject matter was dealt with beautifully. I need me a Jace in my life ❤❤❤
.Lili.
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Last Text by Alice Winters is about 29 years old Merrick. Merrick is still grieving after the loss of his partner. Two years later and he always finds himself texting his boyfriend's old number, except one day he receives a text back.

Some highlights:

-I usually prefer dual POVs, but this story worked better from a singular POV. This story was really about Merrick moving on with his life and healing.

-Jace. He was so sweet and charming.

-Friends to lovers.

-Slow burn.

-Humor.

-Emotional without
Kaje Harper
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novella is a lovely, slow journey from grief to love. Merrick is 29 and still grieving the sudden death of his husband two years earlier. His family and friends are great and they try to keep him distracted with company on the significant anniversaries of his loss. But some of those small rituals of hanging on are important to him, and one of them is sending a birthday text to the man he was with for eight years. He doesn't expect Daniel to somehow magically see it - it's just a last tiny c ...more
Elsbeth

I liked the idea.. Texting your late partner when you're dealing with his loss. But it was too short for me to really feel it. Therefor I couldn't feel Merrick's grief.
I loved Jace though.
The Book Bee
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
REVIEW: 4 STARS
"I'm a very talented man, Merrick, you just don't know it yet."

I love when I add a new to me author to my schedule and am pleasantly surprised by the book I read. Alice Winters is very new to me. She normally writes action and comedy, and even has a paranormal thriller comedy....all centered around MM romance. The Last Text was her first jump into Contemporary MM, and now I am peeping out her other books. She's definitely on my radar now and after reading this one and knowing th
Ula'ndi Hart
Shelves: short-reads
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

Yes. I liked this.

I liked the idea of texting someone you lost. I liked the idea of “someone” texting back.

I can see how this book won’t work for everyone.

But I’m one of those it did work for.

There were things that I’d like to have been a little different maybe, like having a little more of Jace and his background. Who he is except for being an amazing guy who gave so much of himself for a total stranger.
(view spoiler)
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
2.5 ⭐ rounded up for the ending
haletostilinski

I wanted to like this more than I did, because Merrick and Jace were cute and sweet together, and there were funny parts. I wanted to be able to give this at least four stars, but in the end I couldn't.

There was just a little too much of the..how do I put it? "Funny Conversations" i guess...like Jace was joking and Merrick was joking, and Jace's grandfather showed and was joking the entire time he was in the book, and it just got to be too much after a bit. The lack of any real confl
Rohit
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
I think we can all agree that there’s no one formula to deal with grief. It’s a complex emotion and frankly, very few books and authors have tried to hash it out in a way which keeps you hooked and makes you believe in the characters’ journey. That said, this book ended up on the formulaic edge for me. It didn’t have the girth and depth it so clearly needed to endear us to the characters. I think the author thought of the phone-texting-gone-wrong as a cool idea for the MCs to connect and tried t ...more
Aղցela W.
Merrick was grieving. He could not get over the loss of his boyfriend Daniel. Barely existing, he went through each day hoping for the best. Never deleting Daniel's number from his phone, he continued to text him trying to keep that connection until one day he received a text back. Grieve is a sad thing to be going through
I understand everything Merrick was going through as my father died a few months ago. Jace who has the number now text him back and they form a good friendship that helps him h
Kirstin
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every sentence pierced my heart. I loved this book so much! I want to start it all over again!

Merrick’s partner has been dead for two years and he’s still not coping well. It’s Daniel’s birthday and he leaves him a text message, like always. But this time, Jace responds saying this is now his new phone number.

After that text, they start messaging each other until they meet. But Merrick isn’t ready to replace Daniel yet. Nor is he ready to let Jace go...

This was a short, highly emotionally charg
Louis A
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
sweet and sad, I just wish it was longer
Cassandra
KU
Shannon
4.5*

Woah, I wasn't expecting all the feels this book brought out in me! I had a feeling it would be a little emotional, but honestly this hit me hard. And I loved it.
Merrick is such a sweet character, trying to navigate his new normal after the loss of his long-time boyfriend Daniel. Jace is a doll. He is so kind and caring with Merrick, never pushing him to get over Daniel, never feeling second best because Merrick still has so much love for Daniel. I really loved how he was there for Merrick,
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
4.5* rounded up for Gramps. I enjoyed this quite a bit. Merrick is grieving the loss of his partner. He sends him a text every year on his birthday. This year, someone responds. What follows is a beautiful friendship that slowly grows into much more. Merrick isn't instantly over his grief. It's a process. Jace helps him learn to start living again. I loved them together. Jace's sense of humor made me grin. I will gladly read this all over again.
Claudia
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, best-books
This book got me from the blurb!!!
Merrick is heartbroken after losing his boyfriend... When he meets Jace, he finds out that it's ok to start living again!
I love their interactions, how Jace manages to bring lightness to Merrick's days and how great they are together!
I couldn't put this book down! One more awesome read from Alice Winters!
Kelsie
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super short, sweet, and endearing novella. I just loved Jace and wanted to keep him in my pocket. He’s so charming and funny and the perfect pick me up for Merrick.
Carol Flores
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

This is the story about Merrick, a man that lost his boyfriend two years ago. He is dealing with Daniel’s loss in a way we all can relate. He sends him a text wishing him Happy birthday and, to his surprise, he receives a response. Only that this new message doesn’t come from late Daniel, but someone who got his phone number, a man called Jace.

Merrick and Jace text each other and they instantly make click since Jace lost his father a few years back, so he understands what Merrick is going
Joyfully Jay
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Last Text is sweet and romantic and full of emotion. Alice Winters is just so good at finding that balance between humor and tension, and this story made me laugh at the same time I felt for Merrick and his sense of loss. This is the first book of Winters’ that I have read that doesn’t have a suspense element, so I was curious how things would go with a straight contemporary. But even without a thriller aspect, this story kept me captivated throughout.

When we
Ele
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ele by: ☆ Todd
Ι liked this one! The angst and the grief were real without being overwhelming. Jace was pretty amazing and I liked that the author kept the banter going during Merrick's darkest hours. The epilogue in the end was very sweet and I almost melted with that last text to Daniel's phone. Sniff.

Single POV and I think it benefited the story here. This was mostly Merrick's show and him overcoming his grief, and Jace was the best person for him.

My one niggle is that I found the family's dynamics (both Me
Andrea
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lgbt
Lovely story about moving on and letting yourself love more than one person. Almost no drama, the sweetest characters, and a hilarious and supportive family. My first book by the author, but not the last!
Elle
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful love story

This is a lovely story. Poignant, emotional, tender and beautifully written, it centres around Merrick who is struggling to come to terms with the loss of his long term partner. We share his grief, but then follow as he tentatively starts to allow people back into his life, due to Jace, whom he accidently meets.

Jace is a beautifully written character, who brings humour into the story, and stops it from being all about grief, but about accepting loss and moving on.

This was a
Jennifer Reilley
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg. I wish this book was longer and never ended. The guys sucked me right in

I felt sadness, happiness, I laughed so hard my family was looking at me like I’m crazy.

Merrick is so deep in depression over the loss of Daniel and just barely living until someone texts him back from the same number that was Daniels. That someone is Jace. Their friendship develops and as it does have helps Merrick back to living a full life. Jace was the light that Merrick needed to open his eyes to happiness, love,
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

A nice read about moving on after losing a loved one. Merrick is mired in his grief two years after suddenly losing his partner of eight years, Daniel. His family and friends are still tiptoeing around him, which doesn't help him move past his loss. He still texts his partner's number to wish him a happy birthday, which introduces Jace. Jace is the new owner of the number. They strike up a nice friendship after Jace receives Merrick's text meant for Dan
Danielle Chambers
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was super cute, I really enjoyed it. Although Merrick is dealing with grief it was a rather fluffy story. It was shorter than I would have liked but it was still a full novel. The pacing was good. Nothing seemed rushed and we got a full fleshed out story. I just wish there was more because of how good it was. Jace and Merrick's banter was so realistic and I loved it. I loved Jace's sunshine attitude. Super good read.
Dee Wy
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You can't read this story and not have your heart engaged in a big way. Some losses take a long time to heal, but if you are brave and willing to give love another try it can change your life for the better.. Lovely story!
Emily Seelye
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc
After 2 years, Merrick is still grieving his partners unexpected death. He “meets” Jace when he texts Daniel’s old number and gets a response.

They soon become friends and Jace is the only person able to get through to him that until he can put his grief aside, he’s only living half a life, and Daniel wouldn’t want that.

I really liked this. As a stranger outside of the situation, Jace was able to give some “tough love” and force Merrick to face life again head on. The guy wasn’t subtle in his a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »