Start by marking “Evil Eye” as Want to Read:
Evil Eye

Evil Eye

Pallavi is an aspiring writer living in California. Her mother, Usha, is thousands of miles away in Delhi - and obsessed with finding her daughter a husband.

In Madhuri Shekar’s ingenious Evil Eye, hilarious back-and-forth via phone and social media takes a shocking, supernatural twist when Pallavi meets the perfect man - leading to a climactic showdown that will leave lis
Audible Audio, 2 pages
Published May 2nd 2019 by Audible Studios (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Eye

Start your review of Evil Eye
Erin
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Audible original selection for May 2019, this was a chilling and captivating story that I couldn't get enough of. Told through a series of telephone conversations and voicemails, a mother living in Delhi becomes increasingly concerned when her independent and career driven Indian -American daughter begins to be involved with a new man. Although Usha wants nothing more than her daughter, Pallvai to marry, an uneasy feeling begins to grow. Except everyone else thinks Usha is going crazy. Can sh ...more
Jenny Baker
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Evil Eye is so creepy and captivating! I selected it as one of my monthly Amazon Original Audibles. It’s a short thriller dramatized in a series of phone call conversations and voicemails. This is the perfect execution for this story. The characters are fantastic. It’s a short audiobook, less than two hours, but at the end, you want more.
Rachel Aranda
4.5-5 stars
A thriller play told completely in phone conversations and voicemails... To be honest, I didn't think this would work well. Nitpicky me listened to the sample clip and hated the beeping and standard ringtone the phones had especially when listening with a headache. The book was free Audible Original so I figured what did I have to lose? I love thrillers and never get the chance to read short ones anymore.

This experience blew me out of the water. The story didn't fully have me engaged
Faith
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
This started out like a rom-com and ended up as a thriller. All of it was imaginative and entertaining.
Sonja Arlow
Sometimes the free Audible Originals produce absolute gems like this and Girls & Boys.

What a wonderfully unique audio experience.

The story is told in the form of back and forth telephone calls / voice messages between an Americanized daughter and her mother back in Delhi. The calls are initially what you would expect from an Indian mother with a daughter of a certain age.

Have you met any nice Indian boys?
Have you heard, your cousin got engaged to a doctor?
When am I getting grandchildren?

But th
Nancy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
One hour and forty minutes of enjoyability. Got this from Audible as a monthly member's giveaway; I had no idea what it was about or where it was headed. Laughed at the beginning phone calls between mother and daughter but began to get irritated at the mother when it appeared the only way she would be happy is if she got to choose her daughter's husband. The back-and-forth between the two in phone calls is very well written and you're meant to get exasperated at the mother. The plot takes a sudd ...more
Anisha
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. It was a fun, quick listen! I really liked all the narrators and I like how the music added to the overall effect of this story, especially towards the end! The story was fast paced and it was really like listening to a movie - very engaging and fun. I would definitely read more from this author.
Malia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though this is not a long story, it's very entertaining and I liked the format of it being told in phone conversations. I would recommend it if you're looking for something you can listen to compulsively, perhaps on a road trip this summer:-) I would definitely be interested in anything else by this author in the future!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Elisa
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Told through phone conversations, this short story is creepy and well written. The tension mounts little by little. At first, it's just an overbearing Indian mother pushing her almost 30 year old daughter to marry and quickly descends into a suspenseful tale. Is the mother losing it or is there something sinister at play. Very good! ...more
Julie
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It really took advantage of the audio format. It is punctuated with a nearly perfect mix of humor and creepiness. It’s what The Turn of the Screw would have been like if the characters had access to cell phones
Shannon
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This started off hilariously. I mean, most daughters know the pressure from their moms about getting married, especially to the Perfect Guy. And I adored the frustrating relationship Pallavi has with her mother Usha, because it's so relatable in this modern day when tradition is still trying to maintain its hold across all cultures, particular Eastern ones. But ohhhhhhhhhmygod, when the plot twist came?? My freaking hands were shaking! This was so perfectly done, truly a great listen AND a great ...more
Tiffany PSquared
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, yes, yes! Loved the story, the format, the decidedly instantaneous 180 degree turn in energy and focus. It's a perfect little thriller for any afternoon.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book-2019, 2019
Holy smokes. That took a sharp turn to serious town quick.
Tania
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this and was fully immersed throughout. A quick listen in just under 2 hours, the story was different and interesting, and the narration was absolutely perfect. Evil Eye was written as a series of phone calls, which worked well on audio. I loved the Indian accents, so please let me know if you have any suggestion for other Indian audio titles.

And the best news, this is one of May’s free audible originals – go and download it now
Sharon :)
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short story was so good. Easily could’ve been made into a full novel! I wanted more time with all these characters.
Sarah Booth
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really good play. I guess I didn't pay much attention to what it was about other than a mother daughter disagreement over marriage so it's quite the story or play rather. Edge of your seat.

Katie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got this audiobook free as an audible member and I ended up enjoying it a lot! I thought the format of using phone calls was really interesting, and I did not see the twist that happened at the end! It is also pretty short, and therefore quick to listen to!
Danielle N
May 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the approach of a story told through phone calls, but the characters were ultimately too flat. But for less than than 2 hours, it entertained me well enough I suppose.
✨Susan✨
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great quick listen with an interesting format. Fast pace short story made better by excellent narrators.
Alan Teder
November 12, 2020 Update
Now available as an Amazon Prime movie at https://www.amazon.com/Evil-Eye-Sunit...

Audioplay effectively done via phone calls and voicemails
Review of the Audible Studios audiobook edition (May 2019)

I was impressed with this audio production which managed to tell its entire story via what you would think would the very limited medium of recreated phone calls and voicemails. The credit is shared between the voice actors and the sound design & production staff as the tone of
Miriam
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
5 awesome audio sound effects and narration stars!
3.5 unique story stars
April
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2019
This was crazy and good and I wasn't ready for it to end! At first I thought I was listening to a fun radio "Bride and Prejudice" and then it turned the corner into supernatural creepy "Girl on the Train." Amazing performance, great concept, and riveting storyline. Another good Audible original. ...more
Puja
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up on a lark but holy wow was it an amazing audio play. It has all the elements for perfection: female intuition, feminine horror, suspense, generational trauma, complex mother-daughter dynamics, and a phenomenal cast. An incredible way to spend an hour and a half!
Janet
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure this should count as a book, maybe a short story. Some of these Audible originals are really good. This one is super creepy and lends itself easily to audio format because it’s told in a series of telephone conversations. Highly recommend especially if you can get it for free as I did.
Lauren
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Radio plays and dramas hold a special place for me - loved so many in my childhood. Listening to Evil Eye brought back some of that feeling - the thrill and suspense!

A modern play - all told through texts, phone calls, emails, and voicemails between a mother and father in New Delhi, and their daughter in Los Angeles. I was initially unsure about this one, but am really glad I kept going, rewarded by the twists and turns in the narrative.

Shekar's Evil Eye was produced through Audible.com'a "Emer
Steve Betz
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audio-2019, thriller
More like 3.5, but I thoroughly enjoyed this audioplay about a daughter who might or might not be falling under the spell of a man out to do her harm. The story is told exclusively through phone calls and voicemails between the young woman and her parents back in India. Really worked.
Ella Droste
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
I didn't know what to expect from this book. It's quite short and basically a radio drama, rather than a traditional audiobook. I enjoyed the phone call concept, but found somewhat difficult to stay engaged throughout the story. The characters were flat, the relationship between the daughter and the boyfriend felt forced and the plot twist was just not particularly compelling. It didn't work for me. ...more
Thomas
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I didn’t know what to expect from this. It was free anyway and not too long.

I guess this is what you would call a supernatural thriller, a sort of Hindu Tales From the Crypt.

Trillers were never my thing but this is certainly well produced and innovative.
Siris
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I really love this! It’s pretty short and the audio medium is perfect for this style of storytelling. It’s super intense how the story builds up the more it unfolds with each phone call. I’m glad I chose to pick this audible up this month to listen to for my audible promotion. I definitely would recommend to anyone into thrillers and who enjoy a bit of the supernatural. The supernatural element gives the story an eerie take and the family dynamic really gets to you.
Budoor
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This turned from a funny everyday story to an intriguing concept, I loved how they executed it
Since it’s only an hour and so I was able to finish it on the ride home.
highly recommended!

• Checkup
  • The Conception of Terror: Tales Inspired by M.R. James, Volume 1
  • Yard Work
  • Half Light
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • Hold Your Breath
  • The Darkwater Bride
Madhuri Shekar was born in California and grew up in India, and after a couple of quick detours in Singapore and London, made her first grown-up home in Los Angeles. She currently shuttles between Jersey City, Los Angeles and Chennai.

Her new audio play EVIL EYE debuted on the Audible best-seller list in May 2019. Her play HOUSE OF JOY will be getting its world premiere at Cal Shakes in August 2019