Start by marking “Murder in an Irish Pub” as Want to Read:
Murder in an Irish Pub

Murder in an Irish Pub

(Irish Village Mystery #4)

When competing card sharps stir up Siobhán O'Sullivan's quiet Irish village, a poker tournament turns into a game of Hangman . . .

Naomi's Bistro, managed by the many siblings of the lively O'Sullivan brood, is the place to go for a cuppa tea in Kilbane. For a pint or a game of darts, it's the pub you want. But when Dublin card sharp Eamon Foley is found swinging from
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Murder in an Irish Pub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in an Irish Pub

Start your review of Murder in an Irish Pub
Carla Johnson-Hicks
I have enjoyed this is a series since the first book, although I missed the third one somehow, and I am enjoying the development and evolution of the characters and the village. This story is a bit of a locked room mystery, as the victim was found hanging in a cooler that was locked from the inside. Most agree that it is a suicide, but Siobhan knows something is not right and is sure it is a murder. As she investigates, she finds clues to implicate more and more suspects. Is it the pregnant ...more
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery I received via Netgalley. I thought the MC Siobhan was great, and really liked the mystery surrounding the death of the #1 rated poker player.
Peggy R
This is a series that I have really enjoyed since the very first book and that continues as the series evolves. This is the fourth book in the Irish Village Mystery series and I have come to look forward to each new book. Siobhan is a sympathetic, likable character that has continued to grow and come into her own. I like how her family always plays a part in the stories even if it is only in a secondary capacity. It is what grounds her. I also like how she approaches solving a mystery. She is ...more
Gail C.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MURDER IN AN IRISH PUB by Carlene O’Connor straddles the line between cozy and detective fiction. There’s the classic “locked-room” murder, without too much in the way of blood and guts detail as is typical of a cozy mystery. The detective, Siobhán O'Sullivan, is a garda, or member of the Irish police force, much as would be found in a police procedural. Both elements are present and compliment each other in this, the forth in the “Irish Village Mystery” series.
The small village of Kilbane in
Aisling
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third or fourth I have read in this series (read for our December mystery book group choice) and each book is better than the last. This was a brilliant locked room mystery, truly brilliant. The clues to solve what seemed impossible were honestly laid out before the reader throughout the book. Add the gorgeous scenery of rural Ireland, the humor of newly minted Garda Siobhan as she raises her brothers and sisters, solves crimes and flirts with McDara Flannery and you have a winning ...more
Laurie Garrison
New author and series to me and I enjoy the story and mystery, it kept me guessing all the way.

I also, enjoyed how clean this book was of cussing and I how the author used terms real Ireland people would use today it made me feel as if I was right there.

What I would have loved to read more of is setting descriptions and a bit of background of the characters even though it can become respective to the people who have read the series but to those of us who just randomly pick a book up, it helps to
Teresa
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019

This was definitely my favorite of the series. I love the way Siobhan's career has progressed. Her and Macdara working the case, as well as all the banter, had me grinning through. As did Ciarán. That kid never disappointed. It was such a perfect ending to the book.

Micky, I'm sorry I advance that the title spoiled you.
Amie
Thank you Netgalley, publisher, and author for an e-galley of this book.

My first cozy mystery is officially in the books! That being said, I’m not sure how much weight my opinion can hold, but I’ll do my best.

The only real negative I can give, which is totally a personal opinion, is that it was too “clean” for my personal preference. Which I think is a theme in this genre, and it didn’t necessarily take away from the story, I just tend to find no swearing or sex unrealistic in life.
I really
Jeanne Locke
What I most enjoyed in this cozy was the authentic sounding Irish dialog and phrasing and the feisty bantering style of the characters which made this village cozy lively and spirited.

The mystery is a classic locked room mystery, was the hanged man a suicide or a murder victim, and if it was murder how did the murder occur in a locked room? It had me scratching my head and remembering one reason I love mysteries, the puzzle of 'how could this have been done'?

The detective is a newbie garda,
Sara
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was enchanted from the start with the description of Kilblane, the home of Siobhan O’Sullivan. A small village in County Cork, Ireland, that still has its medieval walls, the annual festival is being set up as Siobhan steps out of her home/family-run cafe. Dressed in her Garda uniform, Siobhan heads off to her job assignment at a nearby pub where a poker tournament is being held. The excitement of having an important tournament is palpable, but too soon it becomes the site of accusations of ...more
Elizabeth White
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway. I had not read any of the other books in the series but I am interested enough to read them now. Murder in an Irish pub is an enjoyable light read but not great. The plot is good and paced about right. It seemed sometimes that the descriptive writing (what there was of it) could have been a little stronger. For example, in one place it said, "our magnificent abbey" and that's all the description there is, leaving the reader to wonder why it is magnificent. I ...more
Micky Cox
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exceptional visit with the O'Sullivan clan! This time a professional poker event has set up shop in the village for the weekend and all mystery and mayhem abound! Great plotting with multiple suspects entwined with great characters that are well developed and have interesting personal stories to enhance the plot line. Added bonus, the entire series is available on audiobook.
Aristotle
Aces and Eights

A no limit poker tournament explodes in controversy when an accusation of cheating is tossed at the winning player who happens to be holding aces and eights with a joker. Aces full! Well the jokes on him when he's found dead hanging from the rafters.
There is no shortage of suspects with motives. This was a simple, straightforward, rated G whodunit. A well paced story set in a small town in Ireland. Siobhán gathering all the suspects and proceeding to expose the killer was
Heather
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is the fourth installment in this series it was my first dive into the series. I was concerned that I would have difficulty in following the characters and their development since I usually prefer to read a series from the first book. The story was a nice cozy mystery that I enjoyed reading. There were a few spots I thought I had it all figured out and then BAM, something changed. I look forward to reading more in the series and other works by this author!
Love this series! Siobhan and her crew keep me laughing and also shaking my head in frustrated understanding. Having grown up in a big family and also having a lot of kids makes me really appreciate and identify with the situations the O’Sullivans get into. I will say there were some holes in the resolution. In other words, I think the mystery was over complicated. However, it was enjoyable and I’m excited for the next book.
Karen
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! I loved just about everything about this locked-room mystery.

Was it suicide? Or was it murder? The book is so well put together in terms of plot, characters and locale that I practically devoured it. The number of plausible suspects abound, and there are so many subtleties in the and possibilities that I was kept guessing about the truth until the very end.

The O'Sullivan family are a wonderful jumble of characters, each one a treasure I found myself caring very much about. The book is
Sherry
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this book as an audio book. A fun murder mystery set in an Irish village. It involves card sharks, a police chief and one of his female "guards" who solves the very "Sherlock Holmes-esque" is this a murder or a suicide inside a locked room with no access. Can't say much more without it being a spoiler. Fun book.
LuLu
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A week ago, a buddy sent me a few videos from the pubs he was visiting while traveling in Ireland. As someone born and raised in Southern California, I’m not familiar with Irish pubs at all (though my mom was half Irish!), but the minute I opened that first video, I was swept away with the joyous atmosphere of those legendary Irish institutions. Lots of laughter, singing, and dancing, with a spirited rowdiness that made me want to grab my passport and visit my ancestor’s homeland.

In Murder in
K.A. Davis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MURDER IN AN IRISH PUB is the fourth book in the Irish Village Mysteries by Carlene O’Conner but the first I’ve gotten around to reading. I enjoyed it so much I’m determined to start at the beginning and catch up with this delightful series. Given the backstory about protagonist Siobhán O’Sullivan and the multitude of siblings she is raising on her own, I would recommend starting with the first book. Despite not fully knowing the previous stories and what happened to the O’Sullivan broods’ ...more
Andra Weis
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in an Irish Pub is the fourth book in the Irish Village Mystery series written by Carlene O’Connor. This is the first book in the series and this author that I have read. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I am glad to report that figuring out ‘whodunit’ took until the very end – plenty of “red herrings”….just the way I like my cozy mysteries!

Given my enjoyment, I anticipate picking up the first three books in the series and read. Hopefully this will provide more to the story of
FMSWarrior
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a Poker tournament comes to town Kilbane’s Garda is busy with the crowds, both at the tournament in a local pub, and the crowds as the festival. Siobhan O’Sullivan, big sister, head of her family of siblings, and newest garda, is juggling work, family, and romance.

The first night of the poker tournament has the crowds out in full force at the pub to see the top three seeded players. After a rare hand is dealt and he hotshot number one seed player wins that evening, he is accused of
Judi
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Murder in an Irish Pub by Carlene O’Connor is the fourth book in the series, it is the first book I’ve read by this author. The title alone drew me in and I am very happy it did. This is a delightful story in a wonderful setting!

The main character, Siobhán O’Sullivan, is a relatively new member of the Garda in the village of Kilbane in Cork County who quickly is involved in a suspicious death at a pub. I found the mystery very interesting – especially how it took the entire book before
Sara Grotz
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Murder in an Irish Pub. It is book four in the series, but was my first from this author. It takes place in a small Irish town, Kilbane. The main character was Siobhan, a very independent woman taking care of her brothers and sisters, as well as helping run the local bistro when she isn't working for the Garda. When the town hosts a big poker tournament they get more than they bargained for when the guy set to win is found dead of an apparent suicide.
I felt like the story was
Rebecca
Murder In An Irish Pub is the fourth book in The An Irish Village Mystery series by Carlene O’Connor. This is my first book by this author. Though I have not yet read the first books in this series, I had no difficulty following along with the storyline, and while I always recommend reading books in a series this book could be read as a stand-alone.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved all the Irish terms and sayings and it was interesting to look them up and learn their meaning as I was
Brenda
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By book 4 you know you are going to love the characters and the Irish idioms and culture. The O'Sullivan family are a blessing and a burden to their eldest sister Siobhan especially now that she has joined the Garda (Police). If you are new to this series I suggest you start at book 1 to understand the background of this family and their village.

Hosting a poker tournament is supposed to be beneficial for tourism, not murder. When Eamon is found hanging from the rafters in a room locked from the
Homerun2
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

The fun further adventures of Siobhan O'Sullivan, proud member of the Irish Garda police force and stern older sister to her five orphaned siblings.

The beauty of this cozy series is the distinct Irish feeling and locale. In this outing, a high stakes poker tournament in their small village creates a lot of hubbub and some ill will. When one of the three finalists is found dead, the big question is murder or suicide?

Siobhan enjoys and has a bent for police work, but her job has a cost.
Carolyn
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in an Irish Pub by Carlene O’Connor is part of her Irish Village Mystery series. This is the first I have read and would like to read more.

The setting is the village of Kilbane, which is hosting the International Poker Tournament. The murder of one of the players causes a delay in the tournament and keeps all of the guests/suspects in town while Siobhan O’Sullivan, a member of the local police, investigates. What makes this mystery even more interesting is that it is a classic “locked
Cyndy Bailes
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in an Irish Pub by Carlene O’Connor is the fourth book in the Irish Village Mystery series. It is stand-alone although there are quite a few references to earlier developments. The main character is Siobhan O’Sullivan who runs Naomi’s Bistro, is a policewoman, and has multiple siblings to watch out for. Macdara Flannery is her boyfriend and her supervisor. I found the book delightful with its Irish words and phrases, as well as the Irish flavor of the village and the characters. The plot ...more
Amie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley, publisher, and author for an e-galley of this book.

I really
Allison Collins
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder in a locked room…

Murder in an Irish Pub is the first I’ve read in An Irish Village series, and I’m hooked. I am going back to start at the beginning of the series to read all about the O’Sullivan family. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author has a great voice, and the way she describes the setting made me feel as if I were right there as the story unfolded.

Siobhán O’Sullivan is the head of her household of brothers and sisters, so she definitely has her hands full as a freshly
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lost Traveller (County Cork, #7)
  • The Loch Ness Papers (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #4)
  • Sifting Through Clues (A Cookbook Nook Mystery 8)
  • Strangled Eggs and Ham (Country Store Mysteries #6)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • Pie Hard (Pie Town Mystery #3)
  • The Egyptian Antiquities Murder (High Society Lady Detective Book 3)
  • Something Read, Something Dead (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #5)
  • A Crafter Hooks a Killer (A Handcrafted Mystery #2)
  • Read on Arrival (Bookmobile Mystery #2)
  • A Killer Edition (Booktown Mystery, #13)
  • One Potato, Two Potato, Dead (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #3)
  • The Book Supremacy (Bibliophile Mystery, #13)
  • One Feta in the Grave (Kebab Kitchen Mystery #3)
  • Fatal Roots (County Cork #8)
  • A Deadly Feast (Key West Food Critic Mystery #9)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)

Irish Village Mystery (5 books)
  • Murder in an Irish Village (Irish Village Mystery #1)
  • Murder at an Irish Wedding (Irish Village Mystery #2)
  • Murder in an Irish Churchyard (Irish Village Mystery #3)
  • Murder in an Irish Cottage (Irish Village Mystery #5)