Start by marking “Apocalypse How?” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse How?

Apocalypse How?

(Dakota Adams #1)

I never thought I’d have a bounty on my head the size of the Milky Way.

Of course, I never thought I’d be able to bend time, either.

But hey, life is full of surprises.

Don’t get me wrong, feeling like a goddess has its perks, but those perks come with a hefty price. My brain is tapioca. I’m stranded in the middle of dead space. Ratters are using me for target practice, and a
Published September 24th 2019 by Tiny Fox Press

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse How?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse How?

Start your review of Apocalypse How?
Kara Babcock
I received this book from Tiny Fox Press and NetGalley in exchange for a review.

Apocalypse How? is a messy trainwreck, and if that’s your style, you’ll probably enjoy it. For the rest of us … let’s just say that I kind of knew how I felt about this book less than 50 pages in, and maybe I should have stopped there. This is basically “Indiana Jones in space” but make Indiana a young woman named Dakota Adams and instead of being an erstwhile archaeology professor she’s a struggling archaeology stre
Bob/Sally
Damn, but this was a whole lot of fun. The opening chapter is basically Raiders of the Lost Ark on the ruins of an ancient spaceship, with the rest of the story exploding into Hitchhiker’s Guide territory before twisting it all up with shades of Doctor Who. If that sounds like your thing, then you’re in for a frantic bit of fun.

Apocalypse How? is the story of a girl, her giant tiger, a doomsday device, and an alien monster. Dakota Adams is a young woman, out to make a name for herself by pillagi
N.N. Light
Dakota Adams is on the hunt for treasure. After getting a tip on a rare relic, she searches an abandoned ship. As soon as she gets her hands on it, she’s attacked by the ship’s security and barely escapes with her life. It’s worth a king’s ransom and places her in the cross hairs of many enemies. On the run with her trusty sidekick (a warrior space tiger), they discover the artifact’s power of time travel. As she travels through time, Dakota goes from one adventure to the next by the skin of her ...more
TSN ☮
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF

This is borrowing heavily from all over: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Indiana Jones and more. I would like a little more originality, please.
I have grown since the 70's and 80's where Douglas Adams humor was the bomb, and I found this to be too forced funny for my taste.

Sorry this is just not for me.

☛ I requested an advanced copy of this title from NetGalley, and I'm voluntarily making this review.
Ronald
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young female Indiana Jones named Dakota gets a hot tip on the location of potential progenitor artifacts. Quickly traveling light-years to the location, she begins an adventure that has her running from one protagonist to another. Fortunately, her pilot and close friend, an evolved cat-related hominid with super quick reflexes, continuously come to her rescue.

The scenes, which Dakota’s adventures take place in, are imaginative and the strange characters she meets are hard to accept as real. E
Koeur
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: SciFi

Rating: 4.2/5

Review: A tongue and cheeky space opera that pokes fun at all the past tropes.  What I feared might become a stained attempt at brevity and forced dialogue was quashed by a writer with a flair for characterization, pacing and painting the descriptive.

A truly fun read that begs for more.
Carrie O’Leary
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great fun romp through space, and just a little bit of time . . . And again. Fast paced, full of action, and some very funny moments. Loved the kick-butt main character and her very tolerant sidekick, and their adventure where one thing after another was just not quite a success. I’m really looking forward to the next one in the series
Erin Mason
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! Dakota was hilarious and brave, bordering often on reckless lol. She always had a sassy comeback and got herself and her friends into trouble. In this story Dakota and her friend Tolby, a giant intergalactic warrior cat (yes!), find a prehistoric artefact and set out to use it to find a long lost colony ship. Along the way they run afoul of a powerful collector, let a giant monster free, jump space and time, and learn about time paradoxes.
A thrill of a ride from start to f
Translator Monkey
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read; frothy and mindless sci-fi with plenty of action. There were a couple of minor annoyances - for a human so many centuries in the future, Dakota (the protagonist) relied a LOT on early 21st century slang and idiomatic expressions ("Sorry, not sorry...") and a bit more space/time hopping than I felt was necessary. Still, in all, worthwhile and enjoyable read. ...more
Michael
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Apocalypse How was a fun introduction to Galen Surlak-Ramsey's writing and Dakota Adams' adventures. The story felt like a mix between Lara Croft Tomb Raider and Guardians of the Galaxy. It was a lot of fun to read and Dakota Adams is a fun personality "lense" to read the story through.

Dakota and Toby (her best friend/first mate/etc) are wreckage scavengers and try to make that one find that will set them up for a good, long while. When Dakota stumbles upon some ancient tech that's worth a fortu
Richard Holmes
Sep 17, 2019 rated it liked it
There just isn't much to say about this book.

It's pure space opera fluff. Nothing very out of the ordinary in any way... good or bad. I got through the whole thing, which is more than I can say for a lot of books that try for this kind of light adventure stuff. But ask me in a month or so if I can remember anything about the plot or the characters. I very well might not.

I'm pretty sure I won't remember the ending, since there barely was one. The heroes get away, the end.

There's a sequel due to b
Kay Smillie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read, and the reader has to completely suspend any thoughts of reality anywhere in this book. Well, that's okay with me! It's pretty obvious what's going to happen along the way, but it's a hot and runny galaxious mixture of every 80s scifi/action/adventure you've ever seen.

If you want a wee bit of a giggle, entertained to rollercoaster effect, an MC who is Speedy Gonzales-like, and to be taken all over the joint by her and a (lovely) tiger, then this is the one for you!

I chose th
Jacob
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read with a lot of interesting twists and turns. Does well dealing with how time travel is such a complicated situation. Some points were overly complicated but overall a good read.
I received a free review copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Jessica Foreman
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dakota cracks me up. She's a girl who's dead set on gaining fortune and fame by unearthing lost civilizations, and in the processes, makes risky decisions without always thinking things through, which leads to plenty of adventure and tight scrapes. Thankfully, her best friend, a giant tiger-like alien named Tolby, is around to help reign her in.

There's a great world here to explore and awesome characters that are well fleshed out. Looking forward to see where this series goes.
Ashley Reyes
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I received a free copy for an honest review from Netgalley.

For the most part, this book was cheeky and fun and delightfully silly. However, some of the time travel made the book hard to follow. Some of it felt like Matt Smith’s 11th Doctor character, and some hitchhikers guide, but it never quite pulled you through the story smoothly. I wish I could have given Dakota a little adderall to make her a little easier to follow, but I think the scrambled frenetic thing works to some extent with the s
Courtney Erikson
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
tldr: Time travel done hilariously right.

Dakota Adams is a treasure hunter who stumbles on a little artifact that's worth an empire's fortune. This of course, attracts a lot of undesirable attention, which lands her in a lot of hot water right from the start. As she goes on, trying to track down the origins of the artifact (for an even bigger score), she manages to unlock the artifacts true potential with her best space tiger friend, Tolby, which allows them to travel through space and time (bu
Marjorie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit Indiana Jones, a bit Firefly, a bit Hitchhiker's Guide, a bit Doctor Who, and yes, even a bit Princess Bride, this story was a rollicking adventure from beginning to end. Rife with sci-fi references from TV, movies, and games, this one was written for fans. The completely convoluted plot somehow made all of these elements its own and did not get lost with the wealth of references, but rather was enriched by them.

Recommended for fans of Telzy and Trigger.
James Frederick
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a bit of a mixed bag. I have read a number of the author's other books and I was looking forward to this, based on the blurb. A female Indiana Jones? Sign me up! But this was a strange read. There were large parts of it that got bogged down. I really did not care for one of the big plot devices which involved time travel and "portals." The author probably is a big fan of the game "Portal," but in a book, it is just a weird tool.

There were so many other ways it could have gone that woul
Anne Szlachcic
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a mix of Raiders of the Lost Arc meets Dr Who - and what a mix

Dakota Adams is a young woman, out to make a name for herself by pillaging the ruins of spaceships in search of artifacts from the original colony ships , of the Progenitors , that seeded the universe .
Along with Tolby, a kind of a cross between Chewbacca and Samwise Gangee – the wise, clever, handy, loyal best friend who always manages to be in the right place at the right time , her search for treasure goes on at pace
Krysti
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m really not sure what to think. I guess the best way to put it is to liken this book to a comedic space opera parody. I loved that there were elements of so many stories mashed together. We had the overall theme from Indiana Jones. There was definitely a hint or two of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Doctor Who, Princess Bride (that made me chuckle), Spaceballs, and others. It was a fun read and action packed, but I had to constantly reread passages once the time jumping came into play. I wo ...more
Snickt Snackt
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The novel starts off running and never really stops. There is no luxury for breath which in part can be attributed to the enormously long run-on-sentences that are injected every so often. Bear in mind that the copy I received is an advanced copy, so there hopefully will be changes before its final iteration. I wanted to like this novel, but execution just seems to fall flat - the whole experience feels like a dream, a tryhard dream with a lot of attempts at sarcastic witticisms.

The novel is no
Jennifer Gottschalk
Jan 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
A 'throw everything at the wall and see what sticks' sci-fi attempt that is possibly more suited to a teenage audience.

I'm not entirely sure why I finished this novel as it read more like a kid's cartoon than half-way decent science fiction story. This is a pity as the underlying idea of a strong female lead (and her trusty side kick) discovering ancient artifacts had merit. If this head been more carefully thought out and better executed, I suspect the book would have much more appeal.

It is unf
Roger
Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams Book 1), my second read from author Galen Surlak-Ramsey, and the first book in the Dakota Adams series. A fast-paced, fun-to-read humorous science-fiction story. Character & plot development were great. When I was given a Kindle copy of So Close To Home (Dakota Adams Book 3), I didn't know it was the third book in an ongoing series Now I'm going back & reading the first book in the Dakota Adams series. I was given a Kindle copy and I'm voluntarily reading & reviewin ...more
Larry
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent story, which surprised me! This is a "new to me" author and if his writing continues to be, this good (and it has, so far, because I am into at least 3 chapters of his next book) I have a new author to collect. The characters were believable, despite one of them being a bipedal man-sized tiger. The plot was definitely twisty-turny, yet easily followed and the ending, you will have to read for yourself. I do highly recommend this book and feel it is well worth your time and effort to ...more
William Howe
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Madcap, helter-skelter, higgledy-piggledy, insane. Time paradoxes and Indiana Jones-esque archeology, with a side order of live streaming. All in an intergalactic setting that is inventive without being oppressive.

The MC has Synesthesia, which makes her ‘taste’ numbers, adding an odd quirk that makes it easier to accept when her randomness is successful.

To be honest, I stopped reading halfway through for a while. Time travel hurts my brain.
Charl
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
This turned out a lot better than I was expecting from the first couple of chapters. It's got a stron YA feel (I'm not sure if that's intentional or not) and I don't generally care for YA, but the characters kept me reading to get involved in the story.

And technically it was mercifully free of the flood of typos, "grammos" and generally poor writing plaguing so many new authors (at least, new to me).

Better than average, and worth reading.
A.D. Rutter
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely Entertaining

An excellent time travel sci-fi romp that is fast paced and very well written. Interesting characters and fun critters make this a very fun read. Looking forward to the next one.
Atene
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
new author for me..loved the story..the character interaction..want to go on to book 2..just want to know. will it be coming out on Audible too..great narration.
Rosemary
Apocalypse How? (Dakota Adams Book 1) - a review by Rosemary Kenny

Suspend disbelief, check your preconceptions about apocalypses of the 'traditional' kind, think of Lara Croft, but up in Space, (with a soupcon of 5th Element thrown in for good measure) raiding for artefacts and other saleable/useful items with her pilot/companion/protector, space tiger called Tolby and you get just a basic idea of what Dakota Adams, star of Apocalypse How? by Galen Surlak-Ramsey is all about.
Feisty and fearless
Courtney Erikson
tldr: Time travel done hilariously right.

• Junkyard Spaceship (Junkyard Pirate Book 3)
  • Magister's Bane (Call of the Elements, #1)
  • The Sixth Realm Part 1 (The Ten Realms #6)
  • A Riddle in Bronze (Mysteries in Metal #1)
  • Katie Kincaid Space Cadet
  • Serpent's Game (Soul Eater, #5)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Deadbot (Bob and Nikki Book 14)
  • Dungeon Heart (The Singing Mountain #1)
  • Runed (Asgard Awakening, #1)
  • Witch's Oath (Children of D'Hara, #4)
  • Into The Shattered City (The Farshore Chronicles, #2)
  • Edge of Forever (Soul Eater, #6)
  • See No Evil (Soul Eater, #3)
  • Defender (Light Online, #4)
  • A Thief In Farshore (The Farshore Chronicles, #1)
  • Monster's Mercy  2 (Monster's Mercy, #2)
  • The Fearless (Star Legend Book 2)

Dakota Adams (4 books)
  • Spoilers: Things Get Worse (Dakota Adams Book 2)
  • So Close To Home (Dakota Adams Book 3)
  • One Step Behind (Dakota Adams, #4)

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...