Start by marking “Felix Ever After” as Want to Read:
Felix Ever After

Felix Ever After

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  3,942 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews
From Stonewall and Lambda Award–winning author Kacen Callender comes a revelatory YA novel about a transgender teen grappling with identity and self-discovery while falling in love for the first time.

Felix Love has never been in love—and, yes, he’s painfully aware of the irony. He desperately wants to know what it’s like and why it seems so easy for everyone but him to fin
Published May 5th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Felix Ever After, please sign up.

·  3,942 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews

Start your review of Felix Ever After
chai ♡
I finished reading this book at 2 am and I could barely see through my tears. I didn’t know how much I needed this story until I was lost inside it. Lost and wandering and found all at once. I hope every queer reader finds their way to this book. Full review to come.
Zoë
I loved this so much.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
So overwhelmed with love for this cover with a queer poc main character with top surgery scars. It's so visible and incredible I can't handle it.

Update 6/20/20:

Wow. Wow wow wow. There is such a scope of emotion here that it all overwhelms me. This is the messy queer book that I have needed desperately. It is sad and it is fierce and it is funny and it is hopeful and it is so full of love and full of forgiveness and fucking up and learning from it all. It’s a masterpiece.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Hello this book was perfect and messy and sweet and queer and I loved it so, so, SO much.

TW: transphobia, being outed, cyber-bullying
faith ✨
🌻 read this review and others on my blog, pages left unread

I have a solid feeling Felix Ever After will be my favorite book of 2020.

Ever since I read the synopsis of this book, my expectations for it were soaring, and after reading it my love for it was even higher. Felix Ever After was such a joy to read, but it also felt as if each page wrapped around my heart and saw the deepest corners of my soul. Sometimes, I feel as if this book was written just for me, as a nonbinary queer Black person.

So
Kevin (Irish Reader)
If you liked Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, you’ll love Felix Ever After!

This book is going to be a new favorite of mine, I just loved it so much! I absolutely loved the characters, Felix, Ezra and Leah being my favorites. This book also has so much LGBTQIA+ representation, which I loved. I loved the discussions on being transgender and also Felix’s journey with self identity. The book is also set during pride month and the romance is absolutely adorable!

I don’t think I have anything negati
C.G. Drews
this was one of those incredible books that left me actually wordless 😭I just want to say go read it instead of reading me trying to form words on how heartfelt and aching and confused and angry and deeply loving and incredible it was. All Felix's artist feels, the ambitious vs procrastination moments, the fear of not being good enough and jamming yourself into creative blocks? That hit hard and true. (I don't pretend or act like this book was written for me; but I'm a little soggy and grateful ...more
megs_bookrack
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The World
Shelves: favorites
This novel offers a cornucopia of queer identities and was just so moving, beginning to end.

I had to take a time out before I could even consider writing a review.

This novel is everything right now. It is everything I needed in this moment and it is certainly everything the world needs.

I've been trying to figure out why this one touched me so deeply and all I can say is, Felix Love. Felix Love who wants to know love, but first needs to learn he is worthy of love.

Felix Ever After is told, as you
Larry H
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
We’re all worthy of love, but sometimes the path to realizing that is a tough one. This message is at the core of Kacen Callender's newest book, Felix Ever After .

Ironically, Felix Love has never been in love. He wants that more than anything, though, as much as he wants to get in to Brown University to study art. He knows his grades and his test scores aren't enough, but if he can make a splash with his portfolio he might have a chance. If only he could motivate himself to work on it...

"I wa
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: Black trans demiboy mlm mc, Black Bengali mlm li, lesbian side character, mixed-race Black, Puerto Rican & white gay side character, poc sapphic side character, sapphic side character, gay side character, nonbinary side character
tw: transphobia (exposing old pictures and deadname, transphobic messages), mentions of past emotional abuse, absent parent

i just feel so very, very loved right now

the thing abt felix ever after is that it is CLEARLY written for trans kids. yeah, bad things happen t
Romie
I realise that this book isn't going to be for everybody, because Felix fucks up more than once, but I remember how I was at 17, and I was the queen of fucking things up. putting teenagers on a pedestal isn't realistic. Felix is still figuring out his identity while being deadnamed and harassed, and yes he doesn't react in the most logical way or a way that won't get other people hurt, but to me this is a realistic representation of what it's like being a teenager and being scared and hurt. it's ...more
Jessica
Wow. I normally am not a fan of character driven novels, but my emotional connection to these characters is what kept me hooked the entire time I was reading this. Felix's story was so emotional and he was just...confused. Which is something a lot of people go through, especially teenagers. I think that the conversations Felix had with people and with himself were just so raw and real and I really appreciated them.

The romance in this book was so sweet and so surprising and I loved how messy the
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

FELIX EVER AFTER was a really, really good book. It's a story about questioning your identity, writing secret letters, first loves, secret cruelties, calling out harassment and bigotry, and educating loved ones-- oh, and art, New York, and coming of age. Basically, it's a hodge-podge of everything I love about YA, handled really maturely, and with a really great message to boot.

Felix is a trans boy who has never been in love but would li
Caidyn (BW Reviews; he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

CW: outing, transphobia, TERF character, homophobia, being kicked out for being gay (minor character), deceiving someone online about who you are, and parental abandonment (MC and minor character)

When I saw this book on Edelweiss, I got so excited. I need more books featuring trans characters in my life! Especially since this is written by someone on the spectrum. This is the kind of queer content that we need in 2020.

This isn'
Connor
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4.5 Stars]
My Video Review:
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
5/5 ⭐️

Thank you so much to HarperCollins for providing me with a free e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion!

"It's kind of amazing, that there's a word that explains exactly how I feel, that takes away all of my confusion and questioning and hesitation-a word that let's me know there are others out there who feel exactly the same way as I do."

Before we start this review, there are two things I need to say. First, HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO THIS WONDERFUL BOOK!!! Second, I a
menna
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs, 2020
this is so fucking beautiful??? im in love with everything about it
Tyler J Gray
After Reading it May 2020! CW: Dysphoria

My long book review (and some personal information as well). Can also be found on my book blog here https://wickedjr89sbookblog.blogspot....

I don't even know where to begin! And to begin i'm going to need to talk about myself a lot. I am bisexual and have known that since I was 13 (am now 31). I struggled with my gender my entire life but growing up, I didn't have the words like non-binary and I also thought being LGBTQ+ in any way was a sin, so upon reali
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
I finished this book hours ago and can't stop thinking about how much I loved it. Felix Ever After is my favorite kind of YA. It's messy and complicated and human-- the characters fuck up, and don't always do the right thing, and hurt each other, and have to apologize, and learn to do better. And it's so much more realistic and relatable because of all of that. Great discussions on identity and intersections and struggling with where you belong both within and outside of the queer community, too ...more
Amy (libraryofamy)
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE:

Changing my rating from a 4 to a 5 because this book just fucking deserves it. I want to put this book into the hands of every LGBTQ+ teenager ever.

---------

Content Warning: transphobia, outing, misgendering, harrassment, homophobia, abandonment

God damn, all the YA contemporar
Adri
CWs: Incurred homophobia and transphobia, public outing, deadnaming and misgendering (both intentional and unintentional, and without ever mentioning Felix's deadname on the page), online harassment/bullying, confronting TERF ideologies from supporting characters, underage drinking and drug use, experiences with absentee parent

YOOOOOOOOO, KACEN CALLENDER REALLY DID THAT.

*deep breath* Okay, wow. I really love this book and I have no idea where to start. Far and away my favorite thing about Fe
Corina
THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!!!

After I stalked the author I found this on his Twitter page and thought it describes perfectly what this book is all about.

🖤full of self-love & queer pride
🤎chaotic bi MC set on revenge
❤️art summer camp in NYC
🧡rivals/enemies to lovers
💛slow burn, mutual pining
💚protective cin. roll LI
💙trans & enby MC
💜happy ending

The book, and especially the audiobook was wonderfully adorable, cute, and sweet, but also thought provoking, eye opening, and educational. A real MUST READ!

Fe
Enne (they/them)
i hope someday i will find the words to express what this book means to me. But for now, I will just say this is a book that was written for trans and nonbinary kids, and especially for trans and nonbinary kids of color. It made me feel safe and it made me feel seen. It tells trans kids that they deserve to be respected, they deserve to be loved, and they don't have to prove anything to anyone.
Drewthereader20
Wow! This was my first book by the author and it was really good! I loved it so much that I found a new favorite author. RTC!(:
Lily Herman
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hi hello, it appears that I've used up all my feels in reading this book, and I don't know if I'll ever recover???

What's so incredible about Kacen Callender's Felix Ever After is that it's not just a beautiful and heartbreaking story about Felix Love, a Black trans teenager dealing with transphobic abuse from an anonymous classmate. It's also a universal tale of a young person trying to find himself, just like every other adolescent is attempting to do, regardless of their identity. It's about w
Monte Price
I'm going to hold off publishing this review until after the coverwhores live show. But I definitely have thoughts, lots of conflicting emotions. Lots of thinking about how marginalized authors should get to play with certain tropes and how my feelings for those tropes might be clouding the general picture.
Acqua
There's nothing as powerful as reading books involving Pride in June.

Felix Ever After is a story about love. It's a love story just as much as it is one about how love can be difficult to accept, especially when you're a Black trans person and so much of the world seems to want to tear you down. Felix's arc in regard to recognizing and accepting love instead of chasing the approval of people who hate him was wonderful to read.

Felix Ever After is also about questioning. There isn't much questioni
Alexx
Felix Ever After is a story that needs to be heard, a story that needs to be amplified. It’s honest and raw, it’s heartbreaking, and it’s absolutely beautiful.

tw: bullying/harassment, misgendering, deadnaming, forced outing, transphobia, racism

~

This book is just so good from start to finish. The writing style is great and there’s something poetic and mellow about it that provokes emotion and thoughts out of the reader.

I loved the characters, especially Felix! He's so precious and talented and pa

• You Should See Me in a Crown
  • The Black Flamingo
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • Animal Farm
  • The Henna Wars
  • Elevation
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Coraline
  • Clap When You Land
  • Stay Gold
  • Me
  • American Dirt
  • Long Bright River
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Dear Edward
  • The Fountains of Silence

Articles featuring this book

Halfway through the year, 2020 has gifted readers with some amazing novels from Black writers. We rounded up this list of new fiction published a...
“I’m not flaunting anything. I’m just existing. This is me. I can’t hide myself. I can’t disappear. And even if I could, I don’t fucking want to. I have the same right to be here. I have the same right to exist.” 9 likes
“Even if a creator made a character to be straight, they put those characters out into the world, right? So those characters are mine now. And I say that Steve and Bucky are gay as hell.” 4 likes