Start by marking “One Summer in Santorini” as Want to Read:
One Summer in Santorini

One Summer in Santorini

Sarah has had enough of men. It's time to rekindle her first true love – travel – so she books a sailing trip around the Greek islands with a group of strangers.

The very last thing Sarah wants is to meet someone new… But then a gorgeous American man boards her yacht and she knows she's in trouble. And when she also encounters a handsome silver fox who promises her the worl
400 pages
Published June 24th 2019 by Avon - GB (first published December 2017)

To ask other readers questions about One Summer in Santorini, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Summer in Santorini

Kylie D
This book was exactly what I needed. An enjoyable, light read on a cold winters day. It was total escapism to find myself cruising around the Greek Islands with Sarah and her newfound travel mates, including sexy American Josh. Not everything goes to plan however. Sarah is sworn off men after a disastrous relationship, and Josh is determined to remain a bachelor forever. They keep sending each other mixed signals, and then another player enters the game, slick "silver fox" James.

This is a book t
Shalini
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely sweet beach read.
Sarah was coming out of a relationship when she decided to travel to Greek Isles. Romantic opportunity does meet her on the island hopping. My first book by Sandy Barker, the theme of finding oneself was brought out in a delightful, humorous manner.

Writing was superfluous, description of the landscapes had me longing to travel to Greece. Characters were real, their emotions felt genuine, had me smiling along with them.
A warm hearted read absolutely
Paula
I picked this up for the sole reason that it mentioned my home town of Santorini that made me a bit homesick. And even though I loath triangles of any kind, I made an exception this time to suffer through it. "Suffer" is the key word here. This just wasn't my cuppa tea. I was totally bored and all the characters annoyed me - especially Josh with his constant whining! We get it dude. You want to remain single! Move on already!

On the plus side (reason for 2 stars), author did a good job of describ
Emily Royal
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Living mainly on a diet of dark and angsty romances, this book was a change for me, and a refreshing one at that. The author brought the Greek islands vividly to life with images of stunning sunsets, whitewashed buildings and mouthwatering food. I loved the interactions between Sarah’s fellow “crewmates” on the yacht, especially the outrageous Patricia. The occasional encounters with a neighbouring sailing trip (all girls with a single male skipper which made me think of hungry lions in their ca ...more
Belinda Missen
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an absolute delight!

One Summer in Santorini introduces us to Sarah who, like so many of us, just wants to pack up and holiday in the face of heartbreak. She's not looking for anyone new, she simply wants to forget her troubles and enjoy herself - but life has other plans.

I was immediately drawn to this book because the travel descriptions and Sarah were so damn relatable. Most of us know the frustration of long-haul flights, lost wallets, and men (even though we love them so much!).

As we
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘This book began as a love letter – to one of my favourite places in the world, Greece, but mostly to my partner Ben, who I met on a pier in Santorini, just as we were to embark on a ten-day sailing trip.’

Acknowledgements, Sandy Barker, author of One Summer in Santorini

Fun, adventure, romance, friendships, culture and the warmth of an island escape combine to form the latest book penned by Australian author Sandy Barker, One Summer in Santorini. A welcoming
Samantha Tonge
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and flirty read, PERFECT to take on holiday.
Stacey
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I have been dying to read this novel!!! As soon as I saw this pop up on Netgalley, I immediately requested it. I adore the title of the novel and the cover is absolutely stunning. It's so summery and simply beautiful! I love the little houses in traditional Greek colours along the bottom, the sea in the background and the perfect ombre sky. I know this was the authors debut novel but I had high hopes and I wasn't disappointed!

At first, I was a bit unsure of the main character Sarah, she
Steph Lawrence
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my word, what can I say?!
I loved this book so much, and I was craving for more!
I really felt I was there, and I wanted to be there. The descriptions were so real. I lost myself in the gorgeous Greek sunshine. I adored the sailing aspect. Not something I’ve ever done but makes me fancy it now.
The relationships between the travellers on the boat, ‘the family’, made this for me.
The meals out, the daytrips on the islands visited, and just sitting on deck added to the lovely feeling this book ga
Amy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
If you’re ever looking for a book to help escape your own life then look no further, because Barker truly made me feel like I was in Greece myself! This was pure fun, and the ideal read for this time of year, if you aren’t taking a vacation yourself this is the next best thing.

Sarah is the kind of character that I liked right away, she’s fun and has a fantastic sense of humor and is easily the type of friend I would like to have myself. Besides a fabulous protagonist her boat family was also an
K.M. Allan
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy read that will make you want to travel to the Greek islands. One Summer In Santorini follows Sarah, a teacher going through a breakup, who joins a European sailing trip. Also on the trip is American, Josh, who catches Sarah’s eye. They start off as friends, and just as Sarah begins to feel there might be something there, Josh tells her he’s not looking for a relationship, only to change his mind when a new stranger offers Sarah something Josh wasn’t sure he was willing to give. Throu ...more
Bethany Kim
Shelves: netgalley
One Summer in Santorini follows Sarah, a somewhat newly single, mid-30’s woman from Australia as she embarks on a ten day sailing trip through Greece with a group of seven strangers. Inspiring by the author’s own life, the strangers on the boat quickly become friends, and then family, and one man in particular becomes a bit more. This book is the definition of a simple and effortless beach read. A picturesque Greece backdrop, boating, and plenty of shared food and drinks with friends and lovers ...more
Lucy Coleman
When Sarah’s sister, Cat, joins the ‘poor Sarah’ pity party, it’s time for Sarah to talk about her ex, Neil, and acknowledge the wasted ‘year of her life’. But a trip to Santorini and sailing around the Greek islands is just the tonic Sarah needed.
But that old saying ‘be careful what you wish for’ begins to ring true! The fabulous trip might banish all thoughts of Neil, but is a bigger problem looming? Experience the scenery, the wine and some delightful Greek food... you'll wish you were there.
Andie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Summer in Santorini is a fun read that will literally transport you to Greece. I loved the main character, Sarah. She definetly had me laughing with her inner thoughts. Awesome romcom. Opa!
Katie Ginger
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic debut!

Sarah, the main character was wonderfully real and I adored her carefree nature. The two love interests sound delish and keep you guessing as to which one Sarah will end up with (no spoilers here! You'll just have to read it for yourself!). And OMG the setting and food descriptions! It immediately made me want to book a holiday to Greece and stuff my face with feta!

This book made me super hungry for fab Greek food and for more by this brilliant writer!
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
Firstly i am so excited about being on this tour! One Summer In Santorini is so a bit of me!

Santorini is somewhere i have wanted to visit desperately especially over the last year or so, its just so - oh well, you can see. So what better solution that book visit.

Sarah has had enough with men, she hasn't being herself for a long time, not since her ex took that away from her, she used to travel, be vibrant, explore the world and enjoy the sites and sounds so she books a trip. A sailing trip aroun
Kimberly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you @netgalley for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. One Summer in Santorini publishes on 6.24.19! 🇬🇷

Warning: this is a perfect summer read that will make you dream about planning your own Greek excursion. Maybe you’ve already had the honor of visiting and it will instantly bring back memories of whitewashed buildings, beautiful harbors and fabulous feast. Either way the descriptions in this book are beyond fabulous. You can picture the vivid bougainvillea, see the bri
Shana
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.

This is a great summer read!

Sarah booked a trip to Greece months ago, so it quit feeling real, but now the time has come. On her way, she makes a stop off in London to visit her sister. Sarah is looking forward to this cruise, and has sworn off men for this trip. The breakup with Neil was painful, and she doesn't want to think about it. She's just looking forward to some "alone" time on this trip.

After having her
Tiffany M
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Summer in Santorini is a great summer read. I have to admit it hit a little too close to home for me right now. I feel like Sarah- stuck in my life and not doing much with it. Coincidentally I’ve actually been planning a trip next year that would send me across the world to backpack with a group of strangers. This book made me completely excited for that trip and the possibilities of what could happen on the adventure. This book was a quick, fun read but it left me a little frustrated at the ...more
Julie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not really a story about Santorini but a light-hearted story as Sarah, wanting to leave her broken love affair behind, embarks on a sailing trip around the Greek islands. I loved the descriptions of the various places they visit and the different relationships between the travellers. The book did make me think wistfully of my own youth when anything seemed possible but that is also the attraction of Greece. If you long to leave the humdrum daily life behind and can't afford to sail aroun ...more
Amanda -- TheFunSizeReader
I really wanted to like this book. I thought the story line was a great idea and was excited to read it, but I just don’t think it was executed very well. I felt bored by about 50% of the book, and actually did put it down for about a week before I picked it up to finish it again. I felt that there was a lot of unnecessary detail that didn’t add anything to the story or lead anywhere. I am a fan of books ith lots of dialogue, and I felt that there was a lot less dialogue that didn’t feel super m ...more
Claire Watson
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having split up with her ex, Aussie Sarah is currently on her way to London for a quick overnight stay with her sister before flying off to Santorini to sail with a bunch of strangers to Mykonos. She’s not interested in meeting anyone new but then she meets American traveller Josh and it’s lust at first sight. But then she’s also encountered ‘The Silver Fox’ - why is it when she’s not looking for love, two gorgeous men come along at once!

I loved reading this book. You are instantly transported t
Jeanie
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
First time reading this Author.
Having been to santorini many times this is a light airy EXTRAVAGANZA of a read absolutely perfect for summer can highly recommend.
Caitlin
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for this ARC!

I spent my honeymoon in Greece and this book brought all the memories flooding back. This was a wonderful and fun romantic comedy that is perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella! This was my first introduction to Sandy Barker and I had so much fun escaping in this book. This is the perfect beach read and will have you planning a vacation to Greece!
Vikkie Wakeham
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and @avonbooks for the advanced copy of this book, I’m return for an honest review. I found this book witty and romantic. This is a perfect romcom book and I highly recommend lovers of Sophie Kinsella, Kirsty McManus and Cecelia Ahern check this book out- but be prepared to become engrossed.
L.S.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A feast for the eyes with beautiful scenes of the Greek islands, a feast in general with plates of delicious Greek food, and lashings of sharp, witty humour to give you belly ache.

The story began well, with Sarah's funny and relatable view of her break-up with Neil as told to her sister before she set off for her 'get over it all' jaunt around the Greek isles. On a whim she'd booked the trip - a ten-day break on a boat with strangers! And why not? After Neil, she deserved some 'me' time, and whe
Susanne Baker
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Greece and have had many fabulous holidays there, so I was looking forward to reading this book based on a sailing trip around the Greek Islands. I was not disappointed at all with this book,as it was filled with scrumptious sounding food and an interesting story line. I enjoyed spending time with Sarah on her travels with her boat family and the fabulous places that she visited, especially her trip with her special guide dog! I thought it was a clever story that introduced th ...more
Meghan
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay my two biggest bucket list trips are to Italy and Greece so I always love reading stories set in either country.

This story of Sarah going on a dream trip after a horrible break up, declaring she will be single forever when she bumps into the American boy, Josh, who ends up on the same sailing boat she is booked on.

This story is laugh out loud funny at many parts which I really loved but it also makes you stop and appreciate simple things in life like a good tomato, a beautiful sunrise or
Lucy Mitchell
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure Escapism!

Delicious, gorgeous, fun and wonderful.

This book will whisk you away to the Greek islands and let you live out Sarah’s mad adventure on a sailing holiday. You will become friends with Sarah’s crew mates, you will get to see the mesmerising surroundings and you will find romance.

Don’t worry about not being able to get away this summer, Sandy Barker will bring Santorini to your sofa!

Love this author ❤
Kathleen Gray
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sarah's off on a cruise around the Greek islands. If the book had only been about that I would have been happy because Barker does a nice job of evoking the atmospherics and gosh- it sounds really nice. However, Sarah's also met two men- Josh and James. She wasn't interested in making any connections on this trip but they are both so...appealing. This is fun, light, and funny chick lit. Thanks to net galley for the ARC. A good read for an afternoon at the beach, patio or to cheer you up in the w ...more
I’m a writer and traveller with a lengthy bucket list and cheeky sense of humour. When I travel, I love exploring new places, outdoor adventures, and eating and drinking like a local. I’m also an avid reader, a film buff, a wine lover and a coffee snob.

My aim in life is to go, see, taste and do – and then write about it.

As an author, I write the heart – what makes it sing, what breaks it, and how