Start by marking “Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)” as Want to Read:
Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)

Seasons

(Tales of Valdemar #13)

This thirteenth anthology of short stories set in the beloved Valdemar universe features tales by debut and established authors and a brand-new story from Lackey herself.

The Heralds of Valdemar are the kingdom's ancient order of protectors. They are drawn from all across the land, from all walks of life, and at all ages--and all are Gifted with abilities beyond those of
Published November 26th 2019 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about Seasons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seasons

Start your review of Seasons (Tales of Valdemar, #13)
MaryD
I love stories about Valdemar, so I was prepared to give this 5 *'s. However, a couple of the stories fell short, as in dragging on or not as well-written as I'd hoped. Over all, I'd highly recommend this to any fan of Valdemar.

Note: The story "The Maralud Comes A-Knocking" by Stephanie Shaver is the latest in a series of stories about Wil & Lelia that were written in a number of anthologies. It isn't a stand-alone, so I highly recommend reading the others first in order. The bibliography
J.L.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: december-2019
Seasonal celebrations were the theme of this collection of tales set in the fantasy world of Valdemar, which acted less as glue holding the collection together and more as an awkward way to pretend all of these stories belonged together. Especially in the cases of the continuing stories that feature characters from previous collections.

I abandoned many of the stories without finishing them. Even, Im sorry to say, the one by Lackey herself. I didnt have a favorite story in this collection, but
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Mercedes Lackey books are usually worth the wait...out of all the short stories, only a couple were worth the paper they were printed on. And of course, Lackey's story...spiderlings...won't think of them in the same way ever again.
CatBookMom
Erm. I have come to look forward to a few continuing characters/stories - Lady Cera (title always has "consequences"), the Dann family and their Haven watchhouse, the Temple of Thenoth (title always a group noun for many critters of some sort). But the rest, well,.... not so much. I sometimes catch up with a couple of those 'rest,' after some months and I'm looking for easy reads.

Ash
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked the first half of the collection, but the last half (besides Mercedes Lackey's story) didn't jive with me.
Aishuu
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
As usual, it's a mixed bag. This deep into the annual anthologies, it's hard to remember what's a continuing series and what isn't. I'm still into Fiona Patton's Dann family stories and especially Elizabeth Vaughan's Lady Cera series, but most of it is forgettable. Honestly, Misty, can't you tell a story using some old favorite characters rather than original shorts? I'd really love to see the cast of Selenay's reign period again, not just mentioned as date stamps.
ms bookjunkie
Delightfully varied sprinkling of tales, as always.

MLL
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
ONE TOWN AT A TIME (Jennifer Brozek) 3-1/2 STARS
A Herald trainee learns about the politics which bind the Heralds' hands in the Holderkin Boarderlands.
MIDWINTER'S GIFT(Kristen Schwengel) 3-1/2 STARS
A young lady in Haven may never be a Herald but she finds another way to help her country.
UNKNOWABLE CONSEQUENCES (Elizabeth Vaughan) 4 STARS
The continuing story of Lady Cera of Sandbriar. A Herald is attacked. A festival of more suitors arrive. Marriage negotiations may be underway for Emerson and
Angela
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a new anthology that came out back in November and I had no idea this book had been released. I was browsing a local bookshop on New Year's Eve as I had some time to kill before seeing Little Women at the theater and came across this, checked online to see if it was a new anthology or one I had read before and Goodreads confirmed that it was new and that I hadn't read it; and so I got it and decided to start reading it as my first book of 2020. The anthology has some continuing stories ...more
Sandy
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is always a joy to return to Valdemar in whatever form gets us there. These short stories written by authors not named Mercedes Lackey do an admirable job of finding characters both Herald and citizens who inhabit the world and telling tidbits about their stories. Some are ancient past and some are more current but almost all are little sugar plums you can savor. I always enjoy these anthologies and this one is no exception. Thanks for the chance to savor the magic.
Caroline
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
More poor than good. Too many kids. Just skip in future.

Overall, it was disappointing. I had to force myself to finish many of the stories. It was just painful in some cases. Going back to read By the Sword in order to remember that this world was interesting and exciting at one point.

The only story worth anything was the one with the one-armed man but one story cant carry an entire book
Michele bookloverforever
Valdemar

My biggest objection? Not enough stories! But I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of them. Such a treat! I especially enjoyed Vanyel 's short story...miss him a lot. So many memorable characters. Now I have to wait for the next valdemar story. Sigh.
Sctechsorceress
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fantasy
Some very good stories! I really appreciate that Mercedes Lackey has kept the quality of the stories up to that of the first volume of Valdemar stories.
JW Dillingham
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What can I say, I'm a Mercedes Fan. At least for her Valdemar series.
Elaine
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fun to revisit Valdemar with these short stories.
Jenny Conti
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am never disappointed in stories about Valdemar! Lots of Heralds and Companions in this one, and the Mercedes Lackey contribution is delightful.
Anna Marie
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Another great collection of stories set in the Valdemar world. Some of these stories really require you to have read the early books. Overall, an interesting and diverse collection of stories.
April
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I always like visiting Valdemar, and this was no exception. A fun collection of short stories.
Caitlin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Love a few of the recurring character stories, but some of the rest are just okay.
Virginia Serna
Another collection of short stories set in Waldemar. This one is centered around happenings during the seasonal festivals of Mid-Summer and Mid-Winter in various towns and holds.
Pat Brown
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Most of the stories were lightweight on plot and characterization. Lackeys spiderlings were the best of the stories: cute and gruesome at the same time. ...more
Cynthia
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short stories with a Valdemar theme.
Worth reading.
Yousuke Spyropoulos
Dec 25, 2019
Geophile
Jan 18, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Contributors to an Anthology 3 23 Dec 29, 2019 04:40PM

• Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • Accepting the Lance (Liaden Universe, #22)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Gate that Locks the Tree (Adventures in the Liaden Universe® Book 30)
  • Sword and Sorceress 34
  • The Queen's Bargain (The Black Jewels #10)
  • Meat Cute: The Hedgehog Incident (Parasol Protectorate, #0)
  • 1636: The Flight of the Nightingale (Ring of Fire Book 28)
  • Road Trip: BBQ With A Side of No Apologies (The Unbelievable Mr. Brownstone Book 21)
  • Stalwart (Kris Longknife, #19)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • A Heat Wave in the Hellers: and Other Tales of Darkover
  • The Demon's Den and Other Tales of Valdemar
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Bear (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters #6)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
  • Miss Frost Says I Do (Jayne Frost, #7)
Mercedes entered this world on June 24, 1950, in Chicago, had a normal childhood and graduated from Purdue University in 1972. During the late 70's she worked as an artist's model and then went into the computer programming field, ending up with American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In addition to her fantasy writing, she has written lyrics for and recorded nearly fifty songs for Firebird Arts ...more

Tales of Valdemar (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • Sun in Glory and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #2)
  • Crossroads and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #3)
  • Moving Targets and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #4)
  • Changing the World (Tales of Valdemar, #5)
  • Finding the Way and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #6)
  • Under the Vale and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #7)
  • No True Way (Tales of Valdemar, #8)
  • Crucible (Tales of Valdemar, #9)
  • Tempest (Tales of Valdemar, #10)

News & Interviews