Start by marking “De duivelsdief (The Last Magician, #2)” as Want to Read:
De duivelsdief (The Last Magician, #2)

De duivelsdief

(The Last Magician #2)

New York, 1902. Magie is bijna uitgestorven. De Mageus – de laatsten die nog magische krachten bezitten – leven in de schaduwen en verbergen wat ze zijn. Want het oude New York is een gevaarlijke plek waar meedogenloze geheime genootschappen de dienst uitmaken. Esta behoort tot de Mageus en is een geoefende dief met een aangeboren talent om de tijd te manipuleren. Ze moet ...more
Published August 15th 2019 by Boekerij (first published October 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about De duivelsdief, please sign up.

Start your review of De duivelsdief (The Last Magician, #2)
Ashley Nuckles
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap. HOOOLLYYYY CRAP. I have no words. I am in love and horrified at the same time, and I don’t know which is worse. If you haven’t heard it from me yet, please pick up this series. It. Is. Amazing.
hillary
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I SWEAR—
What the actual hell is this ending!
HOW DARE YOU LISA MAXWELL

Footage of me reading the last ten pages thinking everything would be not fine but at least close to fine:
[image error]

I still don’t see people reading this series, and oh boy, are you missing out.

This was so long and full of twists, I'm still recovering. The characters we know from the first book have grown so much and some of them are even more ruthless than before. I also hate some of them more than before.
There are new
Beatrice in Bookland
"Anger and sadness and destruction and chaos was her song, and Esta was the melody she sang to. She would rip apart the world."

1) The last magician

why did you do this to me lisa, I deserved an amazing sequel, not this
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
3.75/5 stars

Instagram | youtube

Completely forgot to update goodreads oops.
Cesar
Feb 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
We got a title! FUCK YEAH!!!

And that cover!

description
✨    jamieson   ✨
the specific overwhelming reader emotion where you desperately love a book and its world and its characters and you need to talk about them because they're rattling around in your head and feel so real but no one else understands and can talk about it with you because no one else has read the book? me currently as only 1,500 of you goblins have read this excellent historical fantasy and I'm mad

He might be a magician by trade, but was a con man at heart.

Book 1: The Last Magician -

This book
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Devil's Thief
Series: The Last Magician #2
Author: Lisa Maxwell
Release date: October 9, 2018
Cliffhanger: Yes

At her side stood the Magician. Once he had been her enemy. Always he had been her equal. Now he was her ally, and she had risked every thing to come back for him.

After reading and loving The Last Magician this year, I couldn't have been more excited about getting an arc of the second in the series. Book one ends in quite the cliffhanger, so obviously I was eager and excited to
Sara Saif

Here’s my definition of an uroboros (a snake swallowing its own tail):
a) Something that keeps going around in circles (HA!)
b) An ENORMOUS (1388 page) waste of time

Oh. My. Beard. I am pissed, disappointed beyond measure and annoyed at how outrageously pointless this entire book is. Like, it’s a THOUSAND plus page book and it achieves nothing at the end. At least nothing it could have at easily half that size.

The plot was all over the place and yet nowhere at all. It was bloated with a shit ton

ELLIAS (elliasreads)
RIP this book.

I tried.

And it's going to be a big no for me......for now anyways.
The first book was really great and this book just took a fricking 180 turnaround into mess and I'm not feeling it. At all. Well, actually it's not too bad, honestly. But really this book could be so much shorter.. Like waaaaay shorter.

I get the POVs of 6+ characters and I don't really see a point in reading all of them. Instead we're getting their POVs and I don't really care for any of them aside maybe two
a ∗
Mar 04, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-to-read
*grabby hands*

boy this is now my most anticipated release for this year!
✩Anneli✩
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The Devil’s Thief

Wow, this book was so capturing and filled with action. I can’t wait for the third, and if so, final book to this amazing series. I really enjoyed reading from each of the characters perspective, and I think that following even the ones that wanted bad things to take place helped me understand their motives better. I have to say that I actually liked almost everyone, I didn’t expect that, it made me want to never even finish the book. Each character had their own problems and
Alexa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
THE DEVIL’S THIEF is such a strong follow-up to its predecessor! It takes the world of magic and corruption and science and secrets, and just throws us right into a story where the stakes just keep on getting higher. Once again, it’s a very immersive story and it really requires a reader to just sit and be reading this book with their full attention — and the pace is still slow and steady. But it’s so well-plotted and well-written and I need the next one!
Suzanne
This book is so hard for me to rate and review because I did struggle with keeping interest in it. I usually don’t have a problem with multiple POVs in books but this one just switch around a between so many and so often. I don’t think it will turn off a lot of people because it still has a great story and group of characters but I just struggled with reading and finishing it. I loved the first book so much and it had my interest from start to end so not sure why this one was such a struggle ...more
This was truly amazing!! The world, the characters, the intrigue and magic ... LOVED everything about it!
Rae
The Devil's Thiefby Lisa Maxwell picks up whereThe Last Magicianleft off. Now that Esta has traveled back in time to save Harte, the two of them work together to find the scattered elemental stones. Can they find them before the Order does?

I really enjoyed this beast of a book! It was beautifully written, featuring rich world building and life-like characters. While the sheer amount of details made the plot drag at times, I still loved reading it!

The Devil's Thief bounces back and forth between
Nastassja

*You can also find this review on my blog*

He might be a magician by trade, but was a con man at heart.

So, let's not beat around the bush

A fine feast of 700 pages alchemy tome. Happy Halloween to me

Magic, time travel, secret societies, love, deceit, prophets, web of secrets <---- somewhere here my head is starting to spin ----> I honestly don't know how the author is going to untangle that spider's web.

And judging by the way things have ended in book 2...

So reader, if you have not

alexandra
3.5/5 –

WOWOW The Devil’s Thief is a 700-page wild ride. The Last Magician was one of my favorites of last year (and maybe ever?), but for some reason this took me FOREVER to read. probably because i was really busy irl & also because it’s so big. because of that, i felt i couldn’t get into as much as i’d hoped. but i still loved it!!

some things to note:
- it gets draggy at times. i would ready chunks and feel the need to stop and do something.
- half audiobook-ed it at the end bc i really
Alice
and she killed not with what she was — what her god had made her to be—but from choice and practiced skill. she killed with her blade

my god, i love this series with my whole heart. i thought this was the final book but thank god it’s not that ending was so open ended.. i’m: stressed.

i loved every single pov (and there was a lot) which is actually super rare for me. usually there’s at least one mc that i hate reading from but nope.

will continue to rave about viola and i can not wait to see her
Megan
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like in Last Magician, what really shines in The Devil's Thief is the way Maxwell twines history and magic together. We get to see what our favorites are up to now that everything kind of what backward for them. Esta and Harte travel across the country and time to St. Louis during the Worlds Fair (meet me in St. Louis, Louis. Meet me at the fair) while Jian and Viola deal with the aftermath of Dolph's murder and Nibs' take over. We also get introduced to other characters, the most wonderful ...more
asbah
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
*3.5 stars*

I didn't quite like it, but somehow I really enjoyed it at the same time??

I mean, there's time travel, thievery, gang drama, strong female leads, angst, and a whole lot of tension—all packed in one. There might be a few issues with this book, but Lisa Maxwell did not come to disappoint.

Let me break it down for you:

What I loved:
Jianyu, Viola, and a new
Amanda
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
YESSSSSSSS so excited for this one!
Melissa H
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun ride! This is a multi-POV book that moves between the years 1902 and 1904, between New York and St. Lewis, and provides a full perspective from the villains and the good guys.

It was a great second book that literally had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. After the crazy ending of the first book this picks up right afterwards and continues on.

I enjoyed the large cast of characters and you really felt like you knew them and none seemed one demential. They all had good and bad
Samantha
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly solid follow up to The Last Magician. The Devil's Thief has a lot to recommend it, but it's also laced with some problems that I fear will only worsen as the series continues.

The book is too long and starts to drag toward the end, and I have a lot of concerns about where this Thoth-Seshat thing is going. It's a weak concept and I worry it will cheapen the good vs evil trope that previously worked well and was populated by perfectly good villains who fit the story better than the
Marta Barrales
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-need
I'm shook. Full review to come.
A. Hoyle
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You make me wanna read 1920s lit,
start a new relationship with books
buy some printed books
Struggling alternate POVs but I love the things this series do.
You make me, You make me.
*To the tune of You Make Me Wanna... by Usher

This series is beautiful and made me fall back in love with print. It made me think I can actually enjoy 1920s settings, books involving time-travel, and become a hardcover hoarder. I docked an entire star due to the alternate POVs in this book--Mama no likey.
Noha Badawi
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
{11.10.2018}

Celebrating the release of this long awaited sequel, I did an Interview with Lisa Maxwell and it was super fun, enlightening and awesome.

Interview Link: https://thebookishword.wordpress.com/...

And definitely all the Thanks goes to Simon and Schuster for making this possible.
sam {inkquisitivereader}⚔
I NEED THIS I NEED THIS I NEED THIS
This book is one of my most anticipated releases ever and I need it ASAP. The titles for this series are amazing so far...
maya
I finished The Last Magician on Friday.
I went to the library on Saturday.
Guess what book I got.
Guess what book I'm about to start?
I'm actually surprised I didn't start this on Saturday.

.....

I hate myself

update: DNF returned to my library because it was due
Rachel
This was a good read but the pace was a bit slow and I felt the book could've been considerably shorter. However, I still love the characters (I adore Esta) and am excited to see how this story continues.

• Sorcery of Thorns
  • Hasta los huesos
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Moitiés d'Âme (Chroniques des Cinq Trônes, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
Lisa Maxwell is the New York Times Best-Selling author of THE LAST MAGICIAN. Also of UNHOOKED, SWEET UNREST, and GATHERING DEEP. When she's not writing books, she teaches English at a local college. She lives near DC with her very patient husband and two not-so patient boys.

The Last Magician (3 books)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)
“True power was the ability to bend others to your will while they thought the bending was their own idea.” 4 likes
“They didn’t realize that peasants start every revolution, and when the peasants rise up, royal heads are the first to roll.” 2 likes