Start by marking “The Vendetta Defense (Rosato & Associates, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Vendetta Defense (Rosato & Associates, #6)

The Vendetta Defense (Rosato and Associates #6)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  6,321 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
In a case steeped in blood and memory, It will take a stroke of brilliance to save Pigeon Tony. But if anyone can see justice done, it may be this gutsy young attorney. She'll risk everything for her client...including her life.

In The Vendetta Defense, Lisa Scottoline, New York Times bestselling author of Moment of Truth and Mistaken Identity, tells a wonderfully rich stor
Audiobook
Published February 27th 2001 by HarperAudio (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Vendetta Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vendetta Defense

Shannan
This is a funny book with an interesting take on the ethical relationship between defense attorneys and guilty clients, but somehow it never really caught hold of my attention. Just to be clear: I attribute this to a taste/mood issue and not to any fault in the writing. When I am sitting down reading the book I enjoy it, I just don't have any drive to pick it up again once I've stopped.
Andrea
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
My first Scottline and I'm hooked! I was glued to the book all week and hated to put it down. The story had some great mystery, action, and love aspects which really made it a lot better then a lot of books I have read that are similar in style. I'm looking forward to reading others in the series and hoping that I get to see more of the great Frank and Pigeon Tony :)
Shawn
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa_scottoline
A very interesting premise. What makes a person guilty of murder? Does the act of killing someone automatically make one a murder? Does the motive and reasoning behind the act make a difference? And should it? Ms Scottoline poses these questions in a very entertaining story.
J
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Disclaimer - my "reviews" are not truly that. Rather than a critical analysis, each "review" is mostly my quick summary of the plot -- so I can refresh my unreliable memory. Also, I find that once I journal a book, it's easier for me to give it away. That's important, as our house is getting "overgrown" with books.

---

One of my favorite Scottoline titles. It delves into atty. Judy at the Rosato all-female law firm.
Wendell
This was my first Scottoline novel and it will certainly be my last. I don’t entirely understand why someone with such modest writing skills has become so popular, and I definitely don’t understand why the Italian-American Anti-Defamation League isn’t picketing her publisher. In this novel, Scottoline takes evident pride in depicting the Italian-American community she grew up near (if not exactly in), employing a sort of “you can’t be mad at me, I’m Italian” approach to trotting out stereotypes ...more
Richard
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had believed that this author wrote legal-themed crime fiction, but I'm coming to the conclusion that her stories are really Young Adult Romance fiction in a legal/crime/courtroom setting. It is clear that she emphasizes the romantic involvements of the members of an all-female law firm in Philadelphia with their clients, and their relationships with their families, more than she does the legal issues, or the crimes that are involved. It is disappointing. This novel is even sappier than the on ...more
JBradford
Aug 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All legal mystery lovers
I gather, without having been told, that Lisa Scottoline is going to write a different novel about each of the lawyers in the all-women Philadelphia firm of lawyers headed by the ever-feisty Bennie Rosato. This one is about Judy Carrier, who was a minor character in Courting Trouble (whose protagonist, Ann Murphy, is a minor character in this novel), and who is asked to take on a case by Mary DiNunzio, her good friend and another of the firm's lawyers, who currently is staying at home because sh ...more
Jessica
Well my first foray into this author's books left me curious as it had very little legal scenes despite being written by a former attorney. This one had more legal scenes...but they actually made it less appealing. The lawyer missed fantastic objections and made dumb ones. Threw huge chunks of legalese at the reader that even I didn't understand (antitrust cases are a bitch even for seasoned attorneys i'm told) then explained simple concepts in a manner almost condescending to reader. The main c ...more
Beth
Mar 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Scottoline’s novels present interesting legal dilemmas.

In Scottoline’s THE VENDETTA DEFENSE, an old Italian man, “Pigeon Tony,” who lived in prewar Italy under Mussolini and the Black Shirts and fled to America with his young son, is now accused of murdering another Italian-American, Angelo Coluzzi. Coluzzi is a rich man who is corrupt and has ties to the Mafia.

During flashbacks in the book, we see why their ages-old feud, back to their lives in Italy, where Coluzzi was one of the Black Shi
Ed
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, action, thriller
#6 in the Rosato & Associates series.

Rosato & Associates series - The star here is the somewhat manic Judy Carrier, who has played supporting roles in the past. The story, however, revolves around Anthony "Pigeon Tony" Lucia, a lovable septuagenarian who killed his longtime rival, Angelo Coluzzi, who murdered Lucia's wife in their native Italy 60 years ago. Coluzzi, the wealthy, mob-connected owner of a big construction firm, always seems to get the upper hand until Pigeon Tony breaks hi
Mahlet
I have read and loved Scottoline's work in the past, but this story was just too unbelievable for me. I couldn't imagine a judge allowing some of the tesimony put forth by the defense, so I did a lot of wincing and eye-rolling during this one.

Pigeon Tony admits to killing Angelo Coluzzi, but he says it's payback for Coluzzi murdering Pigeon Tony's wife nearly 60 years ago, and his son & daughter-in-law in a more recent "staged" car crash. Since the prosecution makes brief mention of these e
LJ
THE VENDETTA DEFENSE – VG
Lisa Scottoline – Stand alone(?)
Attorney Judy Carrier, member of the Rosato law firm, is asked by her best friend's father to defend his friend, Anthony Lucia, known throughout their South Philadelphia neighborhood as 'Pigeon Tony,' who is on trial for the murder of Angelo Coluzzi. However, Judy isn't prepared for a confession that Tony did, in fact, commit the crime—the result of a generations-old family feud that has spanned two continents. Judy need to find a way that
Tabitha Quire
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sixth book featuring Bennie Rosato's law firm, this time with Judy Carrier, one of Bennie's attorneys, defending Pigeon Tony, who admits that he killed Angelo Coluzzi, but insists it wasn't murder but justice. The basis of this was very intriguing. I mean what really does make a person guilty of murder? I really liked this one as well. Another hit for Scottoline!
jennifer
thank you grandma!

this kind of had it all: 1930s facist italy subplot, lots of south phila local color, girl lawyers with inappropriate outfits and professional demeanors, and a love interest who's a hot italian traditional stonemason. a lot can be forgiven for that, i guess.
Teri Pre
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Even though the narrator leaved a lot to be desired, this was an awesome book!! If you haven't read this series, you should!!
Amanda
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book so far in this series. I enjoyed the narrator and the storyline was sad but very good. I wanted to meet and give Pigeon Tony a hug.
Jessica
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
For some reason, Lisa Scottoline did not appeal to me. I believe this is the only book I've read of hers.
Terri
Mar 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the writing. I HATED the actual legal defense - The Vendetta Defense. I understood it intellectually, but kept thinking this would be horrible if a jury bought it.
Darren
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls
In this book, we are going along the path with Judy. Much like the previous books in the series, you will be captivated from page 1. Your heart strings will definitely be plucked by the main character of this story. You will find yourself, Not only rooting for this wonderful little old man, but you will also find yourself craving just a little bit of Italian. Judy, also finds a new love interest. I found myself rooting for her as well. This series is so good, I will be rolling right into the nex ...more
Cathy Biggers
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true age-old love story legal thriller with many traditional Scottoline twists and turns. She truly always amazes me with her fresh writing and different stories in the field of law. Lisa hasn't disappointed me yet and I look forward to reading the rest of her books which haven't been tackled by me yet. Thanks for being such an amazing author, Ms. Scottoline!
Rose
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather easy read. Pigeon Tony is arrested for killing a lifetime enemy, and Judy Carrier must defend him, and try to save his life in the process. Was Tony getting revenge on his enemy for wrongs against him?
Shannon
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book so much more than I did because I really like Judy Carrier. But too much Italian Vendetta stuff, too much about pigeons and not enough Mary DiNuzio. I do enjoy this series and can't wait to keep reading but this one was difficult to get through.
Janice
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting on the vendetta.
Pati Roberson
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok, typical of the Rosati series.
Heather
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scottoline is always a good read!
Jess
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid fun
Teresa
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pigeon Tony killed as vendetta for his wife...thirty years ago (ish).
Letia
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael  Skoien
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book yet in the Rosato series!! Thrilling to the end and filled with the essence of South Philly!!
Sridhar Babu
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author :

Lisa scottoline..

Characters :

Judy Carrier, Anthony Lucia aka Pigeon Tony, Angelo Coluzzi, John and Marco Coluzzi, Frank Lucia, Silvana , 'feet" Tony, Tony-from-down-the-block, DiNunzio, Benny and others..

Location..
Philadelphia, USA...

Genre..
Suspense..

PLOT...

"I killed Angelo Coluzzi..I broke his neck at Pigeon clubhouse, because he murdered my wife Silvana, sixty years ago in Fascist dominated Italy, during Mussolini days and also murdered my son Frank and daughter in law Gemma here i
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Likely To Die (Alexandra Cooper, #2)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Arraignment (Paul Madriani, #7)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 28 novels, including her latest, ONE PERFECT LIE, which releases in April 2017. Her previous emotional thriller, MOST WANTED, has been optioned for a TV series. Lisa also co-authors a bestselling series of humorous memoir with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, which is based on their weekly Philadelphia In ...more
More about Lisa Scottoline...

Rosato and Associates (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Everywhere That Mary Went (Rosato & Associates, #1)
  • Legal Tender (Rosato & Associates, #2)
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
  • Mistaken Identity (Rosato & Associates, #4)
  • Moment of Truth (Rosato & Associates, #5)
  • Courting Trouble (Rosato & Associates, #7)
  • Dead Ringer (Rosato & Associates, #8)
  • Killer Smile (Rosato & Associates, #9)
  • Lady Killer (Rosato & Associates, #10)
  • Think Twice (Rosato & Associates, #11)

“Dove parlano tamburi, tacciono le leggi. Where drums beat, laws are silent. An” 0 likes