Start by marking “Winterton Blue: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Winterton Blue: A Novel

Winterton Blue: A Novel

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  168 ratings  ·  34 reviews
For the last twenty years, Lewis has been haunted by his brother’s death. He’s tried hiding from it, running from it, even erasing it from his memory, but the relentless ghost of Wayne confronts him at every turn. Then he meets Anna, a young woman who is also haunted - by her mother, Rita, a vivacious spirit who, unlike Wayne, happens to be very much alive. Rita is the exa ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published February 19th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Winterton Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterton Blue

liked it Average rating 3.00  ·

Start your review of Winterton Blue: A Novel
Karen
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Epic Book Clean-Out of 2015: read or re-read, then keep or dump. (Locals: let me know if you want any of the ones I'm dumping). Verdict: dump.
Erin Moxam
This is a book about two people who don't know what the hell they're doing in life, which is something I can relate to. A man and a woman (of course!) who don't know each other, one still trying to make peace with a past tragedy, the other with a mother she loves but can't abide. Do their paths cross? You bet they do!!! I liked this book and was surprised at the low rating. Atmosphere and landscape play big roles in this book and I really liked that, I love the environment as character. I also f ...more
Terri
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not particularly enjoy this book and it took a bit if effort to finish it. The idea behind the plot, (the struggles of the two main characters and their finding each other, the backdrop of the seaside and all) sounded interesting, but the execution of the story was not. Neither of the two characters was likable. I could not relate to Anna in particular, and felt sorry for her mother. I also did not like the author jumping around in time and found myself trying to keep track of to who and w ...more
Jim Leckband
If you need immediate answers for the character's actions while you are reading - this is not the book for you! In fact, some of your questions may never be answered and you are left hanging. Some might say that this is reflective of life - but some would counter that the reason why we read fiction is that it is a way to get those questions answered.

The style of the book is challenging. It is written in chapters and each chapter has sections that can go back in time. The reader has precious litt
Cynthia Sinsap
I picked this book up first because the title and the gorgeous blue of the cover caught my eye. I smiled to note that the author also wrote The Hiding Place, which I remembered enjoying. The book cover has snippets from reviews which speak to the "lyrical, beguiling, captivating" quality of the writing.

I am a sucker for poetic type description in a novel, and Azzopardi's descriptions lived up to the glowing praises of the reviewers. However, I was not so engaged with the storyline itself for th
Shonna Froebel
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I should have guessed how good this book would be since I read her Remember Me, which was great. Here, she has two main characters. Anna is a young woman whose mother, Rita, has a large influence on her life. Rita is impetuous, flirty, and loud. Anne is embarrassed by her behaviour but finds it difficult to say why.
Lewis is influenced unduly by the untimely death of his twin brother twenty years before. He has tried to escape it, but finds that it still follows him and influences how he feels ab
Ilyhana Kennedy
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read, gets better as it progresses. I liked the structure. The parallel stories work well and come together fluently.
The narrative unfolds slowly as the reader gets to know the characters and their tragic history. The writing style is a sharply lyrical prose creating a heightened visual context for difficult and intense emotional dynamics.
The character development is full, though Anna lacks something in the writing, or is she meant to be somewhat vapid?
The narrative forms an edge
Laura Hogensen
Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to appreciate this book, as I read it during a stressful period at work, but I found it dull, slow, and obtuse. (of course, those adjectives could all be attributed to me as well!) I really wanted to love this book, as Azzopardi is such a great writer, but I found myself just wishing it would end. The story is about two people, both damaged, who slowly find each other, and their own kind of love and salvation through their relationship. It's a quiet ...more
Christine
About 60 pages into this book I was struggling. I should begin by stating that I am glad that I did not give up after those first 60 pages. Maybe it was my reading mood at the beginning of the novel but in the end it made for a compelling read. There were moments when I warmed to the two main characters (Anna and Lewis) and times when I had a huge dislike for them. The wonderful descriptions bring to life a very real discovery of these lost and a bit misguided souls. The two main characters even ...more
Jessie
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised this got such poor reviews. I found it a quick read, but an interesting journey into the characters' lives and inner worlds. I agree with another reviewer that the end was a tad "tidy" but I thought the way the author arrived there was worth the read. Lewis is troubled by what he calls migraines and what seem like fits of blackout-rage. Anna is struggling with an aging mother and the legacy of her lost father. The lives of the two intermingle as they find their way.
Holly
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, the characters were real, gritty for lack of a better word. I think that also it was nice because i grew up near Yarmouth, and know the beaches and areas mentioned in the book. It was refreshing for someone to describe what is beautiful and peaceful about Yarmouth which often gets lost in the bad reputation and general run down appearance of what used to be a pretty sea side town.
Essence
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Azzorpardi is good with language. She's good with moments and can photographically execute scenes. But the story is a big let down. For the first half I was with her every step, eager to find out about the source of Lewis' pain. But by the time it all came out, I no longer cared. The ending is also a shade too tidy.
N
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you look at an abstract art piece it either says something to you or you think 'elephant with a mop and a bucket of dulux'. This book was more Elephant with a mop that had something to say but I'm not sure what it was. Time jumping, no explanation, no coherent story or just something that held it together. Not a fan but not a hater either, a real head scratcher.
Sandra
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Picked up because of the colour of the cover and the title, bought for the opening paragraph, this book breathed along gently until chapter nineteen when a description of the Norfolk coast flared up with glorious luminescence. Subtly coloured, I suspect a re-read will be even richer, for all the story appeared, initially, to be slight and meandering.
Anne
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out from the library so had no money invested in it - therefore, I felt no compulsion to finish it and didn't. There are two main characters, one whom I was intriqued by and interested to watch develop and one whom I dreaded to observe unfold. Overall it just didn't grab me.
Michael Fitzgerald
A thoroughly routine book. Not worth the time and effort. Apart from this, the author and/or editor have decided that the rules of English punctuation should not apply to them and so there are no quotation marks. Very frustrating and pointless.
David Grieve
Interesting and thought provoking with seemingly real people in real situations. Enough of a plot to keep the reader interested and intriguing enough for me to want to keep going. My only gripe would be that the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but nonetheless I'd recommend it.
Lis
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
It is interesting to see what diverse reviews this book has received. I liked the way it was written and the two parallel tales of the main characters. However, I found the climax and conclusion of the novel disappointing and strangely unsatisfying.
Abby Peck
Dec 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did more than skim this book but it wasn't one I could read ... it held my interest just enough to skip to parts that looked interesting and move on.
Bethany
Jan 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Azzopardi's writing style is beautiful - as always - but Winterton Blue didn't hit me the way her previous two books did. I can't put my finger on why, though.
Rise
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good - but not as good as some of her others
Peter Bellin
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I found the story labored, characters uninteresting.
Margaret
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teresa
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. Two damaged people find each other. About landscape, love, grief, family... I highly recommend it.
Karen
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Merely okay. I finished it because I was curious how it turned out, not because I really cared about the characters. I just didn't believe them.
Janine
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I could not get in to this book, so after about 45 pages I stopped reading. I thought the book went too long maintaining the separate stories without having them come together.
Ann
Oct 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
YUCK! A recommended author but must have picked the WRONG book. Two damaged people working their way through life- ending was a yawn.
Diana
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very evocative of place and mood. I liked the way there seemed to be no climax, things carried on hurtling haphazardly - like life.
Susan
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and quite lyrical ... went with the landscape of sea, sky, and wind. Not as compelling perhaps as her two earlier novels, but worth the time.
Donna
Jul 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I don't even know why I finished this impenetrable book. I learned more about story from reading the dust jacket that I did from reading the book. Big, big waste of time.
Carolyn
This was about two dysfunctional characters, Lewis and Anna. Their love was rather unbelievable but the writing quite good, especially as the novel progressed.

• The Family Upstairs
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Magic for Liars
  • the Bride Stripped Bare
  • The Hunting Ground
  • The Carer
  • The Dark Circle
  • Many Rivers to Cross (Inspector Banks, #26)
  • A Delicate Truth
  • Blood Salt Water (Alex Morrow, #5)
  • The Day of the Dead (Frieda Klein #8)
  • The Lady in Red: An Eighteenth-Century Tale of Sex, Scandal, and Divorce
  • The Yellow Birds
  • The List (Slough House, #2.5)
  • Joe Country (Slough House #6)
  • The 2019 Griffin Poetry Prize Anthology: A Selection of the Shortlist
Trezza Azzopardi is a British writer.

She was born in Cardiff to a Maltese father and a Welsh mother. She studied creative writing at the University of East Anglia, and currently works as a lecturer there. She also has an MA in Film and Television studies from the University of Derby.

Her first novel, The Hiding Place, was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 2000 (a significant accomplishment, since