Start by marking “Killing The Girl” as Want to Read:
Killing The Girl

Killing The Girl

A perfect life, a perfect love – and a perfect murder.
For over forty years Carol Cage has been living as a recluse in her mansion, Oaktree House. Fear is her constant companion. She’s been keeping a secret – and it’s about to be unearthed.

When she receives a compulsory purchase order for her home, she knows that everyone is going to find out what she did to survive her
Published April 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Killing The Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing The Girl

Start your review of Killing The Girl
Linda Strong
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carol Cage has been living in fear in her mansion for more than 40 years. Because it is mandatory that she leave her home, she is afraid her decades-old secret will be dug up.

She is writing her confession now because she wasn't the only one living a lie. The events that turned her fairy-tale life into a living hell were not all they seemed.

She’s determined not to pay for the mistakes of others; if she has to face justice, then they will too.

In her teens, Carol marries Frankie, a man who was
Jcbizze
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the tone and flow of the characters and the story. One of those nice comfortable reads that keeps calling to you. I had an idea of the 'who done it' but not going to lie, there were several times when I questioned my thinking due to the twists in the story line. Even so, the story caught my interest and kept it there. It kind of reminded me of the works of Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell, particularly A Dark Adapted Eye. This will be one of those books that I will ...more
Ben Henry
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brought this book on Amazon and thoroughly enjoyed the read.
It is full of twists and turns that never failed to make me want to turn the page.
In my opinion, it is a must read and would definitely recoment to others.
The ending was extremely surprising, so much that i wanted there to be another chapter!

Worth the purchase and worth the read.
Buttercupp77
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-general
This novel is both heartbreaking and unsettling and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Narrated by Carol in the form of a diary, it takes place in two main parts: when Carol was coming of age in her teens at the end of the 1960s and her later life in 2016.

I thought the world-building was very well done, with the area and elements of rural life being vivid. The pacing was a bit meandering, but it is a diary, so that's to be expected. I found liked the contrast between the bucolic setting, gentle
Kayla Krantz
If you’re a fan of dark twisty thrillers, this is a book to consider.

Our MC, Carol, has a dark past and for decades she got away with the darkest deed a person could do. However, a chain of events start that will reveal the truth. Against herself, Carol decides to write her confession because she isn’t quite sure herself what happened all those years ago.

This book is slow to start, but once it gets started, it is thoroughly gripping. In the beginning, there are lots and lots of descriptions
Kath Middleton
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carol, in her teens, comes under the spell of the charismatic Frankie and after he charms her and gives her jewellery she marries him. She’s not the only one he’s charmed, she discovers. The murky past comes to light when the home Carol inherited is demolished to make way for building and she has to relocate nearby. This is a terrific tale of obsession, envy, friendships made and broken, secrets hidden, and I was glued to it all the way. ‘The Girl’ that Carol was in 1970 is still inside her as ...more
Bookaholic
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written in first person POV, Killing the Girl by Elizabeth Hill is a story about a young girl who makes mistakes because of the confusing messages and expectations of 1970's society. She pays for those mistakes in a devastating way but grows stronger in the process.

You can find this review as well as my other reviews on:

I have to start my review by saying that I don't, for even a single second, believe that this is the author's debut novel. Her writing is
Maggie Gust
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Hill is a very talented writer. Her wordsmithery is excellent and she knows how to capture her characters' emotions and bring them to life on the written page. I was enthralled from the first paragraph of "Killing The Girl." Having been a feisty tomboy with three brothers myself, I felt a kinship to her protaganist, Carol Cage. The first two-thirds of this book was a glorious read.

However, I felt the last third was a bit muddled, as if the author herself was not sure what to do with
PollyAnna Joy
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was surprised to find that I actually liked Killing the Girl by Elizabeth Hill. I was certainly intrigued by the premise of the book which is why I selected it to read in the first place, but I honestly was not sure whether or not I would like it. I do think that the book is a little over-long. By the time I got to the "Now" section, I had forgotten some important details.

The tone of the book reads as if it is written by someone who is insane or who at least has depression and possibly
Dorcas Rosina
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the starting blocks this splendid novel was up and running – it had me in its thrall. I could have read it in one sitting. Unfortunately, real life doesn’t allow such succulent luxuries as wallowing in a story woven as skillfully as Turner threw paint on a canvas. (Trees like Petworth).

Passages of prose leapt into my mouth, well-crafted words so delicious they had to be spoken.
And, always a sign of an absolutely belting book, when I finished, I went over the best bits again!

Do read it,
Rosetta Overman
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightfully Twisted

This is one of the best books I’ve read this year. IT is, in my humble opinion, a literary masterpiece. Some might disagree, that’s why they’re called opinions, but I absolutely loved it. Putting it down was impossible once I got into the thick of it.

It starts a bit slow, with lots of description of Carol’s estate and the surrounding areas, but this becomes important (and is impressively consistent) throughout the book. Carol Cage is the very definition of an unreliable
Michael Cayley
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I was hooked on this book from the start. Carol, a naive and vulnerable teenager, gives up the prospect of university for a disastrous relationship with a deceitful controlling young man called Frankie, with deadly consequences. Her life becomes a psychological prison in which she is obsessed by what she thinks has happened and by her memories of Frankie. As the real truth emerges, she gets drawn further into a dark world.

This is a powerfully written well-paced novel, with a vivid portrayal of
Anne G. Kasaba
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a psychological study of a woman descending into madness. At first it was difficult to engage with the story but as it progressed I was drawn in to the plot. The storyline is complex and well written. The characters are difficult to like, not accidentally but deliberately. There is depth to their personalities with negative traits highlighted.

Obsessed with her first love and then haunted by the memory of him after his death, she spirals downward until she is unsure of what is truth and
Richard Whale
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author who is my neighbour. I enjoyed this book greatly. Especially (knowing the area well) I could visualise the nearby locations that the novel is set against. There were lots twists that I couldn’t predict which made for a good page turning novel. Many characters with depth and with an intense storyline. For a first novel this was a very pleasurable experience.
Rita
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an unusual book with an unusual story that kept me captivated. I can't believe the emotions that went on in this girl's life. I loved the story and the character's. I love how this author writes too! The author will let you feel everything that is going on in the story. I will forever remember this book!
A.A. Abbott
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WELL-WRITTEN PAGE TURNER

The body of Carol's former boyfriend is buried on her land. However, fate has conspired against her. The location, on the edge of Bristol, has been chosen for a new ring road. As Carol desperately tries to keep her own secrets and lies hidden, she uncovers others that drive her to the edge of madness.

This psychological thriller is a well-written page turner, and highly recommended.

There is a longer review in the blog on my website.
Fleurtje Eliza
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had me captured, the story is a pageturner, despite part one being not quite a whodunnit yet. In a few months time, when she is a teenager, Carol's life is turned upside down.

And in part two we can see how that affected her in the past 46 years as she looks back on all that she thought had happened and more...

Thanks to Booksirens for a copy of the book.
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book ticks all my boxes for a good read. The story is engaging and well written. The characters are believable and I could empathise with them. It fits its genre well. But, for me, it was too long. I would have preferred it to be more concise. Saying that though it is still worth 5 stars.

I read a free advance review copy. This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion.
Bev
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
Carol Cage has secrets. She has told lies. But she is not alone. In this twisted story of a young woman who writes down why she did what she did in a tell-all confession. A well-written story that will surprise you. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from Book Sirens.
Greta Halliday
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great debut novel .It started rather slowly but soon picked up momentum and I was completely drawn in. I found it a rather weird but compelling read and congratulate the author on an excellently written book. Thanks to Book Sirens for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
Teri Griffis
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ebook from BookSirens in exchange for my honest, voluntary review. This book was an interesting read with characters you wanted to be able to assist with their problems. I had a little bit of a hard time getting through the book due to my perceived idea of how the plot should have gone. I'm sure there are others who will love it.
Chasity Cutlip
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

I have to admit at first for me the book was slow but I'm so glad I didn't put it down. I fell in love with the characters.
Sharon D. Mapes
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Quite a story! Sad circumstances that Carol had in her life, such tragedy for someone to live with and the people who played their parts.
Sam Harper
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was given a complimentary copy of this novel by the author through Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review..
What a captivating thriller of a tale, with many twists and turns until shocking truth is finally revealed.
All the characters are complex from the naive school girls just becoming sexually aware to the manipulative boys/men they form “loving “ connections with. Told very simply with now and then parts in the book, it is a real page turner, as the characters weave their
Janice Friend
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelda
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the author as a part of Voracious Readers Only in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this book greatly. There were several surprising twists that definitely caught me off guard. Good, rich characters with an intense storyline. This author will join my list of sought after novel writers!!!
Jeannie Bee
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complementary copy of this book from Voracious Readers Only. Loved it. I knew after five minutes I was going to enjoy it and consequently read it in one sitting. What tangled webs we weave! There is twist after twist in this book and I certainly didn’t see the final twist coming. Highly recommend
Angela Sanford
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Killing The Girl, the debut novel by author Elizabeth Hill, is an intriguing and mysterious read! During her teenage years, Carol Cage went through stages of regret and guilt and lived a life full of loneliness. Living with her mother, Carol feels as if she no longer has a place to put her roots down. Feeling distraught and guilty over different circumstances, Carol begins to write her "confession" of sorts. Through her eyes, Carol begins to reveal what had taken place to cause the feelings of ...more
Lillian Wakulchyk
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I went into this book after reading some other suspense books, I wasn’t sure what to expect . The main character was not likeable for me , but I did end up rooting for her in the end . There were so many layers to this , that I kept wondering what was going to happen next . The story is about someone in her sixties telling her story of when she was around 15 and her coming of age - so to speak. As any adolescent - she was quite self absorbed , but yet impressionable also, she allows herself to ...more
Callie Hill
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Killing the Girl is a creepy and uncanny debut by the wonderfully talented writer, Elizabeth Hill. Written in first-person, I was immediately sucked into the eerie world of the protagonist, Carol Cage, as the events of her past began to close in on her. But true to its genre, nothing is as it first seems in this claustrophobic psychological thriller, where the author’s choice of surname for her main character acts as a subtle motif, hinting at the overall sense of caginess and entrapment.

The

• The Mother's Mistake
  • Ever Told
  • Very Nearly Dead
  • The Girl at the Window
  • The Last Real Girl (The Disappearance of Charlotte Walters, #1)
  • The Suspects
  • Crutches
  • The Killer Inside
  • Sisters (Sun Valley #1)
  • Educating Callie (Secrets of Frost Ford #1)
  • The Briar and the Rose: (A Regency Historical Romance)
  • The Elemental Union: Book One Devian